Sign in to follow this  
Gurglar

Who has there moto license? Thinking of getting it.

Just wondering who out there in the import world has there moto license and what you have or started on?

I'm thinking of getting mine as my dad just got a moto after years and years of not having one ended up with just a little Yamaha virago 250 which was in his price range and after I saw it wouldn't mind getting one myself cause I do love the cruiser looks and it fits really well since I'm a short ass but me never having rode motorbikes before its abit daunting but definitely gonna take the plunge.

So who here rides and what style of bike do you get around on and what did you start on? Do you see yourself spending money on the bike as well as your car?

i had my learners. i rode to work for about 3 months before it got too cold. f**k riding a motobike to work at 2am in the winter.

i let it expire and sold the bike because i couldn't justify having it if i only rode it 3-4 months of the year. it was great fun though and if i ever get a normal 9-5 job i'd get it again for sure.

I've had my bike licence for about 5 years now.

I originally started on a Suzuki DRZ-250 (enduro bike) as I wanted to ride on the road but also in the bush. I rode the bike full time while my car was off the road for a year, then once the car was back on the road I sort of lost interest in riding the bike and sold it.

After about 2 years I wanted a bike again, so I went and upgraded my licence (I was on a restricted licence before (

P1013174.JPG

I still like riding the bike, but circumstances have changed and I have just had to buy a car for daily commuting (the bike is definitely not a long distance commuter bike). So currently I've got 2 cars and the bike.

I'll have to put the bike and the S13 up for sale soon, to get some money back in my pocket.

As for spending money on the bike, you do have to spend some money to get set up. Riding jacket, gloves, helmet etc, then I went and added a tank protector, crash knobs, fender eliminator. But after that it's just normal servicing costs.

If you want any info on what doing the Q-Ride program is like let me know, I did Q-Ride when I upgraded my licence and I can pretty much remember everything your required to do to pass.

Edited by SIR ASHMAN

got mine.

new bikes you dont have to do anything with them except for a tank /grip protector so you can grip on better!

Gear is only like $1k

I used to do 80kms each way daily on a sports bike, its annoying but easily done. Cruisers just make it such a relaxing trip though, you could almost sleep =)

Lots of fun, sport bikes kill everything.. including you :D

Go for it.

I went for my Re's about 2-3 years ago and passed easily.

Learnt on a CBR125, then upgraded to a CBR250RR.

I am still on my RE's, purely because i dont have the time to go for my full R test anymore :(

How come no R1? Because GIRLFRIEND :/

Edited by r33cruiser

Had my licence for 6 years now.

I started on a Honda Spada > Yamaha R6 > Kawa zx6r

Definitely do it, i find it so much more fun cars, plus bang for your buck its ten fold better than a car (this was the reason I got my licence inititally)

Does anyone know of any other smaller cruiser bikes like the yamaha virago around the same size and price range? I know now with the new laws you can ride anything up to 660cc if its LAMS approved but i'm thinking cause i've had zero riding experience a 250 will do me for a while then upgrade to a harley :)

if your going to get a cruiser make sure you get a 660cc because your going to want as much torque as you can get for cruising its more likely to be stable at high speeds than a 250cc, sports bikes are where it at though

Why waste money looking for a bigger bike with MOAR torque when odds are you will be getting your R's and upgrading anyways.

Why not just go a Cb250 until you want to upgrade?

Rode a mates, such an easy bike to ride, and very comfortable.

The more cc's you get the heavier the bike is likely to be, so if your engine dies one day or you drop it, it will be difficult to get it up again, or wheel around while not running..

Ive had my L's for about 4 months now, cant be bothered going for my p's yet, but i had a ninja 250 which was okay. I got over it and now have a Honda RVF400, which is basically one of the fastest imported LAMS bikes around. Its a sportsbike though, so the risk is greater. Money wise, you dont need to spend much an a bike. If you have something greater than 600 cc's you will beat almost every modified car on the road and have ridiculous power. My L plater legal 400 supposedly does 0-100 in less than 5 seconds. CB or even VTR250s are nice if theyre what you're looking for, and theyll be really good to learn on. If youre big, you'll want more power after a month or two though, depending on how much you ride.

The more cc's you get the heavier the bike is likely to be, so if your engine dies one day or you drop it, it will be difficult to get it up again, or wheel around while not running..

Ive had my L's for about 4 months now, cant be bothered going for my p's yet, but i had a ninja 250 which was okay. I got over it and now have a Honda RVF400, which is basically one of the fastest imported LAMS bikes around. Its a sportsbike though, so the risk is greater. Money wise, you dont need to spend much an a bike. If you have something greater than 600 cc's you will beat almost every modified car on the road and have ridiculous power. My L plater legal 400 supposedly does 0-100 in less than 5 seconds. CB or even VTR250s are nice if theyre what you're looking for, and theyll be really good to learn on. If youre big, you'll want more power after a month or two though, depending on how much you ride.

surely this isnt much of a problem unless your a small women or anorexic male.

bigger bike is usually more stable at speed especially in heavy wind or at 150+, unless your tiny you wont have any trouble moving it at slow speeds

a cruiser in general has a lot less power then a sports bike as well

if you were getting a sports or naked bike then i recommend cb400, cbr250, sv650 ect

i recommend getting your l's and having a ride on your dad's and see what you think and decide whether you can put up with that amount of power for a year

Weight is not really that much of an issue.

I'm only 65kg but I personally feel much safer on the 200kg R6 than I did on the 100kg DRZ.

The only thing I have to watch out for is very low speed stuff like turns in carparks because if it starts to fall I' haven't got much hope of stopping it, and once it's down I wouldn't be able to stand it back up without help.

But aslong as it stays upright weight is not a problem.

Edited by SIR ASHMAN

Why waste money looking for a bigger bike with MOAR torque when odds are you will be getting your R's and upgrading anyways.

Why not just go a Cb250 until you want to upgrade?

Rode a mates, such an easy bike to ride, and very comfortable.

because the resale value will be similar after a year, and 250cc cruisers really suck balls

do it's bikes are amazing, as much as i'd love to own another gtr someday, i can't imagine myself ever not owning a bike.

sports bikes>cruisers everytime (unless you also have a sports bike)

i wouldn't call harley's an upgrade, unless your going real old school and willing to spend lots

had my licence for 14 years, bikes are great, cheap fun. I learnt on a Yamaha Fzr-r 250, (import, similar to cbr 250) then got in to cars for a few years, after five or so years off a bike i bought a fireblade (cbr 1000) sooo much fun, just put petrol in and tyres on (every 5k, bout $500) and thats it. Sort of disagree with 1k for gear, basic stuff maybe, my leather jacket was $700, helmet $550 +gloves + boots + pants etc

Have to agree with above that Harleys aren't an upgrade from anything lol

my old rig

Mine.jpg

Only reason i'm going for the 250 is cause i'm a compelte noob with bikes and it will be my daily.

Not going for a sports bike shit i've got a sports car don't need a sport bike hahah nah I just love the look and style of cruisers and harleys there more of a look at me i'm a mad *milkshake* thing which I love :lol:

I'm only a short guy aswell and don't like the idea of tippy toeing everytime I stop :lol:

Lol if I wasnt on my iPhone I would upload a pic from the south park episode about Harley riders.

Fags

:lol:

5 bucks says you have an import not sports car lol (his)

ride both, then decide.

function over form. the only. "good" thing about a modern Harley is the name- and that isn't even good.

if you must go a cruiser look at the xvs650's, then something like the m109r.

*{jks)

stupid phone

I've had my bike license fo about 10 years now, best thing I ever did for my driving was get a bike. You learn to read traffic better, anticipate the stupidity of other drivers, pay far more attention to your surroundings because you don't have a steel cage around you, etc.

I believe everybody that has a car license should have to ride a motorbike for 12months in the first few years of driving a car purely for the skills you learn as mentioned above and how much quicker you learn them compared to being behind the wheel.

Lol if I wasnt on my iPhone I would upload a pic from the south park episode about Harley riders.

Fags

laugh.png

:lol: don't worry thats the first thing I think of aswell and my mates when I told them this hahah.

main reason I don't want a sports bike is cause I don't want to kill myself, I know i'll be tempted to ride more stupid on one of those atleast on a cruiser I can just sit back and cruise :)

I know someone whos owned an R1 but is now getting a harley :thumb:

GPX250 then..

ZX6R

n586961606_1252999_4118.jpg

now GSXR

11254_208827271606_586961606_3607054_7761452_n.jpg

I've backed off riding for a while but still have my bike (CB400 Revo)

Was a brilliant learner bike, likely the best LAMS bike on the market and now my wife is subtly hinting she may be interested in riding it...

I caught up with a few riding mates last weekend; they are regular riders and have top level gear (Aprilia RSV4 factory, KTM RC8R, Ducati Desmo ((surgeon!)) etc etc). I had the pleasure of riding a brand new Triumph Speed Triple R (1050) - it was still running in but holy seven levels of hell did it feel good, has convinced me to get back on.

It is a funny feeling; you spend time around blokes with fast cars, buy a few yourself but nothing in the world can prepare you for the first time you open the throttle on a litre bike. It gives you a completely different understanding of what is/isn't fast...

Edited by Bennybear

Another vote for getting one here.

A sportsbike is on a completely different level to a 'sports' car. I've got a Daytona 675 and absolutely love it. It's also a great incentive to leave your car stock, because there's no way driving will ever compare to riding.

Does anyone know of any other smaller cruiser bikes like the yamaha virago around the same size and price range? I know now with the new laws you can ride anything up to 660cc if its LAMS approved but i'm thinking cause i've had zero riding experience a 250 will do me for a while then upgrade to a harley smile.png

I have my learner license and another 4 days till I can go for my reds.

I bought a Yamaha XVS 650. Put on a set of pipes and an air cleaner kit and you have a mini harley with a sound that will fool most people into thinking it's the real deal. Mine is just tiding me over till I get on my fulls then I'll buy a proper harley :P

I have Vance and Hines short shots and a Baron's Big Air Kit.

It's an easy bike to ride, very comfortable. It is a little heavier than the 250 sport bikes so it doesn't have the same turning circle but general riding is a breeze. Just don't try to do U-Turns in a tight street. They also hold their value like you wouldn't believe.

There is also a lot of custom parts for them if that takes your fancy. I'll be changing the indicators, mirrors and a few other little bits.

http://imgur.com/wqZ0W

surely this isnt much of a problem unless your a small women or anorexic male.

Lol im not anorexic nor a small women, but if you drop it you wont be able to get it back up without help. also, if your engine dies on a hill youre pretty screwed, this was my worst nightmare and happened to me once. but it depends on the weight and size.

Another vote for getting one here.

A sportsbike is on a completely different level to a 'sports' car. I've got a Daytona 675 and absolutely love it. It's also a great incentive to leave your car stock, because there's no way driving will ever compare to riding.

I want this bike, black with gold writing. Sex

Weight is not really that much of an issue.

I'm only 65kg but I personally feel much safer on the 200kg R6 than I did on the 100kg DRZ.

The only thing I have to watch out for is very low speed stuff like turns in carparks because if it starts to fall I' haven't got much hope of stopping it, and once it's down I wouldn't be able to stand it back up without help.

But aslong as it stays upright weight is not a problem.

This almost happened to me yesterday, thank god i straightened up.

Does anyone here have a Yamaha R1? I was close to one yesterday at the lights. He gunned it so fast at the green that he did a mono and left me in the dust, although i left the ninjas and cbrs behind me in the dust

Does anyone know of any other smaller cruiser bikes like the yamaha virago around the same size and price range? I know now with the new laws you can ride anything up to 660cc if its LAMS approved but i'm thinking cause i've had zero riding experience a 250 will do me for a while then upgrade to a harley :)

I have my learner license and another 4 days till I can go for my reds.

I bought a Yamaha XVS 650. Put on a set of pipes and an air cleaner kit and you have a mini harley with a sound that will fool most people into thinking it's the real deal. Mine is just tiding me over till I get on my fulls then I'll buy a proper harley tongue.png

I have Vance and Hines short shots and a Baron's Big Air Kit.

It's an easy bike to ride, very comfortable. It is a little heavier than the 250 sport bikes so it doesn't have the same turning circle but general riding is a breeze. Just don't try to do U-Turns in a tight street. They also hold their value like you wouldn't believe.

There is also a lot of custom parts for them if that takes your fancy. I'll be changing the indicators, mirrors and a few other little bits.

http://imgur.com/wqZ0W

I've been looking into the xvs650 and even the 400 but not to sure will have to go sit on a few and see cause im such a short ass I want something that I can sit back on and still have my feet flat on the ground, the shape of the 250 viragos/vstar I seem to like a little better too.

I have my learner license and another 4 days till I can go for my reds. I bought a Yamaha XVS 650. Put on a set of pipes and an air cleaner kit and you have a mini harley with a sound that will fool most people into thinking it's the real deal. Mine is just tiding me over till I get on my fulls then I'll buy a proper harley :P I have Vance and Hines short shots and a Baron's Big Air Kit. It's an easy bike to ride, very comfortable. It is a little heavier than the 250 sport bikes so it doesn't have the same turning circle but general riding is a breeze. Just don't try to do U-Turns in a tight street. They also hold their value like you wouldn't believe. There is also a lot of custom parts for them if that takes your fancy. I'll be changing the indicators, mirrors and a few other little bits. http://imgur.com/wqZ0W

Quick word of advice - don't use this bike when going for your P's; the majority of the test involves tight, low speed turns so the weight and heavy disposition of your cruiser work against you in a big way.

I'm a big guy (6"1, 120kgs) and even I had to wrestle my shiny new CB400 through the Ps test. I passed w/100% score but I can't imagine doing it on a cruiser. Spend the $80 to hire one of their 125cc bikes (or borrow a mates), they are so light you can flick them around like a push bike = breeze through the test.

Edited by Bennybear

Does anyone know of any other smaller cruiser bikes like the yamaha virago around the same size and price range? I know now with the new laws you can ride anything up to 660cc if its LAMS approved but i'm thinking cause i've had zero riding experience a 250 will do me for a while then upgrade to a harley smile.png
I have my learner license and another 4 days till I can go for my reds. I bought a Yamaha XVS 650. Put on a set of pipes and an air cleaner kit and you have a mini harley with a sound that will fool most people into thinking it's the real deal. Mine is just tiding me over till I get on my fulls then I'll buy a proper harley tongue.png I have Vance and Hines short shots and a Baron's Big Air Kit. It's an easy bike to ride, very comfortable. It is a little heavier than the 250 sport bikes so it doesn't have the same turning circle but general riding is a breeze. Just don't try to do U-Turns in a tight street. They also hold their value like you wouldn't believe. There is also a lot of custom parts for them if that takes your fancy. I'll be changing the indicators, mirrors and a few other little bits. http://imgur.com/wqZ0W

Quick word of advice - don't use this bike when going for your P's; the majority of the test involves tight, low speed turns so the weight and heavy disposition of your cruiser work against you in a big way.

I'm a big guy (6"1, 120kgs) and even I had to wrestle my shiny new CB400 through the Ps test. I passed w/100% score but I can't imagine doing it on a cruiser. Spend the $80 to hire one of their 125cc bikes (or borrow a mates), they are so light you can flick them around like a push bike = breeze through the test.

Yeah planning on borrowing my mates Hysoung 250. You are absolutely right would be a nightmare to do the test on :)

cost of buying a 600cc to a 250cc is jack especially for learner approved bikes.

Cruisers may weigh more, but the engine is down lower so lifting it can be easier. I dropped my CBR250 after coming off it, had a fractured shoulder and still managed to lift it by myself.

If your doing ALOT of highway riding, i'd get a bigger bike as a CBR250RR sits on about 9krpm in top gear, so you go through fuel pretty quickly. Test rode a new 600cc and i got a huge increse in economy due to the torque.

Last time I filled up I had done ~190+km on 9 litres (16 litre tank) That's with some "spirited" riding and a bunch of short trips.