Sign in to follow this  
Moleman

Do you get out of the car when you get pulled over?

what up dudes and dudets,

upon discussing with some friends the other evening, the topic of protocol when being pulled over came up. I explained to everyone that when i get pulled over by the friendly neighborhood 5-0, i pull over and get out and stand at my car to greet the officer(s) (obviously not at RBTs though).

many of my friends where quite shocked by this explaining that you should never get out and that its asking for trouble. But i have only ever been treated kindly and respectfully when done so (over the past 5 years).

what experiences, comments or advice do people have on this? im curious to know if i should stop this habit, or just call my friends fags and punch them in the balls

iv only done it once, when i took off, redlined and there was a cop behind me :lol:

needless to say, my pathetic attempt at being polite didnt save me from my least favourite colour

I've started doing this of late aswell and found positive results. But at the same time, it could be negligable as i've nearly always had good luck/interaction with the police. I like to believe its because i look educated and civil.

But don't get out of the car if you've just tried to run from the po po, they will tell you to f**king HOLD IT! GET DOWN ON THE SIDE OF THE KERB, FACE DOWN; then search your car for any contraband. ;)

Getting out of the car is supposed to remove dominance from the cop, puts you on more or a level field.

Some cops will tell you to stay in the car others don't mind. Depends how much of a power trip they are on.

^^^

exactly the point i was trying to make the other night. why should i be in a position where i could potentially feel more intimidated or more likely have some jerk flex his wank muscle... more

U should not get out of a car unless told to

I was told this buy a copper himself

I get out every single time, if they tell me to get back in I tell them no I'm going to stand on the curb.

I've had a couple get a little stroppy with me, but most are happy to talk to be face to face.

The reasoning behind it is simple. A. I don't like the cop looking down on me, it gives them that much more power over me.

B. I always turn the car off (so they can't hear how lumpy the car is), roll the windows up and lock the car. I want to get the cop as far away from my car as possible, I don't want him looking in side see boost gauges, turbo timers, boost controllers etc. You dont want a cop snooping around inside your car.

C. He has a gun, if Im out of the car I have more room to jump out of the way or duck or something if the pig decides to go postal.

But mostly I get out of the car, to get the cop away from it and also to look him in the eye man to man.

This has been addressed before... Smokey brought up some interesting points, one was that getting out of the car could be seen as an aggressive act and will more often than not put a police officer on edge. Personally I stay in the car, because honestly why should I get out? Let the police officer do all the leg work.

Sounds like you guys are insecure... Looking at him in the eyes man to man; Feeling intimidated; etc, etc... Pfft.

Body language is a very very powerful thing. It shows many things. Plus it is easier to distract the cop if he decided he is going to take a look at how low the car is. You are just more mobile out of the car it gives you more options you can be proactive on how you deal with the cop rather than sitting in the car waiting for him hand you whatever he wants.

I have never been defected EVER, and it has been 5 years since I've been given a speeding ticket and believe me they have tried.

As far as it being an agressive act, this is could be true. But I'm not exactly a physically intimidating individual I'm 6 foot and 85kg hardly intimidating.

My seats are comfy, I stay in my car. only get out if asked to get out. which has only happened once.

I dont feel intimidated by the police, 9 times out of 10 your pulled over for a reason, ie breaking the law. and most of us know the instant the party lights come on that "oh snap, a cop was there for that?"

Body language is a very very powerful thing. It shows many things. Plus it is easier to distract the cop if he decided he is going to take a look at how low the car is. You are just more mobile out of the car it gives you more options you can be proactive on how you deal with the cop rather than sitting in the car waiting for him hand you whatever he wants.

I have never been defected EVER, and it has been 5 years since I've been given a speeding ticket and believe me they have tried.

As far as it being an agressive act, this is could be true. But I'm not exactly a physically intimidating individual I'm 6 foot and 85kg hardly intimidating.

Body language bit is true, but each to their own really... I've never been defected, even though I drive a stripped out and worked S13 (have probably jinxed myself now) and the only time I've had a speeding fine is when I do +20km over the limit, manned up and took responsibility for my actions.

i had a gun pulled on me last time i went to get out of the car..... (apparently somone had called in a "loud car" as being involved in dealing lol)

so i stay the f**k in the car unless asked to do other wise

most cops ive talked to have all had issues with people jumping out of cars when pulled over and having a go straight up and as such are a little bit on edge

i get out once we have talked for a while before getting down to business (defects)

might just be a inner sydney thing lol

but a smile and respectful hello officer when they first walk up makes the world of differance ive found.

iv only done it once, when i took off, redlined and there was a cop behind me

I did this too ...

he told me get back in my car now !!!

I was very polite and respectful and he let me off after checking my license .

I usually jump out and greet the officer with a "afternoon mate" or something along those lines. I dont jump out and run for the curb or anything like that. Just get out and wait for them to walk over.

For a while there i thought this was working but it seems it just depends on the copper, never been told to get back in the car.

I haven't been pulled over often enough to really think about it.

Getting out of your car can only end badly. People with drugs on them or in a stolen car immediately get out and run. So the cops will assume the worst if you get out.

I hop out and meet them behind my car with my license

They usually check the tyres but I haven't been asked to open the bonnet yet

my routine used to be ( have not been pulled over for a while now )

Last time i got done for speeding i was overtaking a car that was doing about the 90 / 95 ish, I was sitting around 100 then a car comes around the corner up ahead ( it was not a huge spot to overtake ) so i planted it, got around and the car that came around was a cop, party lights come on and our interaction went like so.

me: "ugh just over took now im pulled over grrr"

*pull over, wait for the cop to make a u turn and race up behind me as if im trying to get away then brake hard ( i work at a holden dealer and you should see how many discs and pads we change on cop cars lol )*

*turn down radio, get licence out ready and wait for him to walk up, roll down the window*

Police Officer " Any Reason for speeding?"

Me: "yup, I was overtaking the car and then saw one come around the corner so accelerated or we would be calling out another set of flashing lights to clean up the mess when i hit you"

Police Officer "you should have braked and pulled in when i came around the corner"

me: "there is a light rain, I decided it would be safer to increase acceleration then apply moderate breaking in this situation"

Police Officer: "You are not permitted to excede the speed limit, Do you have your licence?"

*hand him the licence and he wanders back to his car, I roll up my window because its still raining lightly*

*he comes back so i roll the window back down, he hands my my licence*

"I am going to issue you with a ticket today for exceeding the speed limit"

get ticket, cop ridicul from the missus, get her to txt her parents to tell them that the KFC they got me to drive and get is gonna cost them $135

It depends why i've been pulled over, if i've done nothing wrong and the cop is most likely pulling me over to inspect the car, i'll hop out and try and keep the focus away from my car

I always get out of the car with licence ready and windows up, i hate having police look down on me in a car.

Generally im nice to them unless they start being a kent.

turn car off get out and wait for officer to come over, yeah f**k having them stare down at you while you sit in your car like a dweeb. Ive never been told to get back in the car. I turn the car off because its loud as fk and they dont need to hear it idle up close. They usually just check tyres, your details and away you go.

I always get out and turn the car off, as long as you don't jump out all angry yelling "WHAT?" it's not a problem. Pretend they are human (this bit can be hard) and try have a conversation as two people. Definately try keep them away from your car as well.

^ yeah dont jump out like an aggressive f**ker but to me meeting them half way is better then sitting there waiting to be reamed, and possibly stops them looking in the car so much, if you have gauges and boost controllers etc, might work well on cops who arnt as switched on (most of them).

Edited by R32GTRS

Stay in the car.

If you watch cops, if someone gets out of the car the cop usually draws his gun!

I just stay in the car unless told to get out

Edited by Wrexy

I did when I got pulled over years ago. I was caught doing a stupid speed in a 60 zone in an unreg vehicle (after an unmarked car came flying up behind me and I put the foot down to lose the 'hero commo' behind me :) ). When the cop asked me why I got out the car I replied "We're going to be having a long chat because I'm in a fair bit of shit here so I'd like to have a durry"

The cops were actually really good about the whole incident and I got let off of a number of driving charges, kept out of court and ultimately kept my job in the RAAF because I was humble and polite. I admitted to being a *richard cranium*, didn't give them lip and had a clean record. Ah the good old days of the Melb west meets.

Any other time I haven't because it wasn't going to be a long stop.

I always get out.

I've been put in bad situations when I've been in the car so I always get out.

I mainly do it to be face to face with the officer so he doesn't have to look down at me and him feeling more powerful.

The worst thing that happened when I got pulled over was driving an unregistered car with a permit, permit expired, P plate on the back fell off, didn't have my license on me and driving a high powered vehicle.

Decided to have a smoke outside and the cop raged it, so I raged back, handed the keys over to him and walked away from them, only to look back at him "Chasing me down"

Told me it's an offense to leave an incident lol.

Pigs. I love bacon.

Copped it pretty bad when I was sitting in my car compared to a similar situation when I was out of the car, so that's my story of why I get out of the car, feel safer, I'm face to face and we are on one level.

Never got out of the car when pulled over, good thing about having a 4wd is that you look down on them lol, saying that ive never came across a power trip cop

Based in America so not everything is relevant here in Australia and goes against my get out of the car thing. But hey some ideas you can use.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hFd4rJ5m9Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLwVCqEu9YE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeqX6v61zjQ

Edited by Shakey Bones