Sign in to follow this  
Deep-Dish

S13 power steering overflowing....Will not bleed up :s

Hello All,

I have got an issue with my power steering set-up which i cant seem to figure out. Power steering fluid foams out from under the cap of the reservoir at idle and once the wheels start to turn left or right. If the Cap is removed it volcano's out everywhere. The fluid is filled up to the cold start level. Ive tried bleeding it up with the car off and at idle (using chase bays power steering bleeding instructions) - turning the wheel from lock to lock slowly 20-40 times but somehow there is still air pockets that wont come out. All the fittings have been checked for leaks as there all nice and tight but still no sign of a leak :S This is not the standard s13 Ca18 power steering setup (similar to chase bay it). It consists of:

Under-driven crank pulley

SR power steering pump (on Ca18) standard pulley

Works engineering reservoir

Enzed custom high pressure line

Enzed rack lines.

Speedflow press-fit return line

Speedflow press-fit feed line

S13 steering rack

Nulon power steering fluid (Should this be ATF???)

Ive had a look around on the net but cant find the answer. Any help appreciated. Cheers

The standard setup uses ATF.

Are you sure there's enough fluid in there? Too much fluid shouldn't foam but rather just overfill. If there isn't enough fluid the pump may try to draw air which can cause damage to the pump especially under load.

Does the pump make any unusual noise?

Is the pump turning the right direction? :S

Short of wrong flow direction and trapped air, I'm not sure what else to think of other than just trying a change to ATF like is recommended.

Edited by Tidge

It does sound very much like the pump isnt turning the right direction,

even tho i have never herd of this before.

The pump will only turn one way when its mounted on the left side of the block and it doesnt seem to be making any noise unless on mega load. The fluid is filled to the top mark on the dipstick. When I start the car up with the cap off the fluid spews everywhere :S this is definitely not normal. Maybe I'll try flushing the system and use ATF? Maybe the fluid is boiling? Pump spinning too fast?

You're positive the pump is underdriven? Double check the pulley sizes add up. I wouldn't overdrive a powersteering pump, seeing as you really don't need that much power assistance in steering on the track...

Sounds like; overdriven pump, pump driven wrong direction, still try using ATF.

Edited by Tidge

Are your hoses on the wrong way? Pump might be rotating correctly but your fluid flow isn't

Are your hoses on the wrong way? Pump might be rotating correctly but your fluid flow isn't

That would make sense, didn't even think of that! :lol:

Yeah check the hoses are the right way around :P

Thick line from reservoir > Feed line on power steering pump (bolt up flange)

Thin line from reservoir > Return line from rack (far left fitting on rack)

High pressure line ( from power steering pump - banjo fitting ) > Inner most fitting on rack.

Im running an under driven harmonic balancer but i dont know what affect this would have on the pump but many people are running them without trouble. Is there difference in size between sr and ca power steering pulley?