Sign in to follow this  
bLaCkFoXsA

S13 vs S14 suspension for celica conversion

Hey

This might be a dumb question, but i figured this is the best place to ask it..

What's the difference between the suspension in an s13 and an s14? I am planning on putting the engine/suspension/front end from a silvia into my ta22, & i've been told i'm best off using the suspension from an s13 in terms of actually fitting it in fairly easily. The problem is i'm keen to run the s14 sr20 for the extra power as well as having the 5 stud wheels instead of the 4 stud (will hopefully be running r32 or r33 brakes). What i want to know is - is the front and rear suspension/steering close enough between the two that i can get away with it? Or am i going to have to buy all of that seperately?

Cheers

PS, I can get either car for pretty much the same price

front is pretty much the same

s14 has longer LCA's and the coilovers mount with a 14mm bolt instead of a 12mm to the knucles

Mate tried to do it in his RA23 (think its that, the mustang lookign one :lol: )

Crossmember bolted up fine ect got it all in there but couldnt get the steering shaft to work for some reason

ahhk that's what i like to hear.. I've got a few mates that do a fair bit of conversion work, and they told me to aim for s14 lca's so that hopefully shouldn't be a massive issue (i'll just see how it goes). It was more the fact they suggested s13 coilys that had me worried. By the looks of this i reckon i might be in luck :)

As for the steering i guess i'll cross that bridge when i come to it, and if i can't get stuff to fit i guess i can always part the silvia out

Thanks for your help

s13 coilovers will be shorter, all you will need to do is drill the clevis holes to 14mm to run s14/s15 front knuckles. s13 LCA's will be a quarter of the price, then you should lengthen them and press in brand new balljoints from an r33 (pedders sell them).

a ''brand new condition'' pair of lengthened LCA's, is better than a clapped out pair of 220 thousand km old s14 arms for the same price.

Edited by fyjosh

if the standard front struts are the same height between s13/14/15, what makes you think the s13 coilovers are going to shorther josh?

OP: don't need to convert to 5 stud to run R33 brakes either.

I've Just taken some bad information from ns again obviously.

The lca part is still correct though lol

Hey cheers for all the advice

i realise i don't need to convert to 5 stud, it was more the issue of s13 being 4 and s14 being 5 as far as i could find.. As for the parts, i have a friend who can import from japan very cheap, who is giving me a good price on a low km's s13 or s14 (depending on what i want). I know this guy's reliable, so the plan was to hopefully just grab a whole car and tear it apart.. I know that i need a small miracle for all the parts to be in good condition, but i figure it's at least worth a go to see what i can get..

So basically, in a perfect world where my s14 comes in unbelievably good nick, and all the parts are fine, would i be able to use only the s14 parts with my r31 diff and r33 brakes?