Sign in to follow this  
CaBS

SXDevelopments 180SX (SXD180) - CNC Shiny stuff

To sum up the quality of your build is just simply amazing. Top work mate, cannot wait to see the finished product!

• Upvote 1

this build is reminding me of the engineered to slide hilux, everything seems to be well thought out and your like 10 steps ahead of the game whilst modding this.i cant wait to see the finished product.....

love this build, cant wait to see ho you do the intake piping for the turb up by the looks of it your a few weeks ahead of me.

Some more progress this week.

Bleeder tank for the coolant system is mostly done the top just needs to be welded on.

20140515_130958_zps58a7b226.jpg

Billet speedflow head on it nice and neat.

20140515_131009_zps773c5e08.jpg

Uses preexisting threads in the tower. The old cusco brake master stopper used to mount here so we'll make another which comes off the strut brace further down the track.

20140515_131031_zps39790387.jpg

Basic shape of the air box folded up out of alloy.

20140515_131049_zps108c43f0.jpg

We've run into an issue cause the motor is sitting so far back in that its fouling on the plenum. Usually this would be a simple notching job but in this case its lining up with the flange of the plenum so this makes it much more of a headache.

20140515_131112_zps93f6423d.jpg

I've heard a rumor the CA18 clutch master is abit smaller. Not sure if anyone can confirm this? I need something 15mm-20mm shorter than the factory SR one which is just under 100mm long.

20140515_131131_zpsbbdd1774.jpg

Drew up and folded up a cardboard template for the oil filter relocation block.

20140516_165826_zps90b33e80.jpg

Should get a chance to cut it out of alloy this week and have a go at folding it up. I can then bolt the block to the box before screwing the box onto the rail.

20140516_165856_zpscde971b8.jpg

More soon!

To sum up the quality of your build is just simply amazing. Top work mate, cannot wait to see the finished product!

this build is reminding me of the engineered to slide hilux, everything seems to be well thought out and your like 10 steps ahead of the game whilst modding this.i cant wait to see the finished product.....

love this build, cant wait to see ho you do the intake piping for the turb up by the looks of it your a few weeks ahead of me.

Thanks guys, not sure about the ETS hilux though. That thing is on another level all together and all done by Nigel himself I've had lots of help!

Check r33 ones also. Can be used on silvias. Just need to used the silvia rod as the skyline one is longer

"this build is reminding me of the engineered to slide hilux, everything seems to be well thought out and your like 10 steps ahead of the game whilst modding this.i cant wait to see the finished product....."

does anyone else that knows Martin find this as hilarious as me?! hahaha :naughty:

Getting closer mate, good work

Edited by dollar80

Had a few wins this week. After spending some time looking for clutch master solutions I came across a photo online of an S15 master which was actually off ebay from just japs page. I ran them and they had one in stock and were kind enough to measure it for me. Looked like it was going to solve my issue while still having the reservoir clear the lip on the firewall so I drove down and grabbed one.

Win was really happy when I got it in there and it'll solve the issue with no further modification what so ever.

20140519_134408_zps88d8b96d.jpg

Happy we dont have to waste any time on this now.

20140519_134431_zps787d8356.jpg

Here is the template traced onto an off cut of 2.5mm alloy and cut out with the guillotine as far as I could. Still had to chop out the scribbled sections with the angle grinder and then clean them up with the linsher.

20140523_143141_zpsfe23d1ba.jpg

Scolloped out the corners slightly to help it fold more easily.

20140523_150043_zpsd8ef3e45.jpg

Chris managed to fold up all but one of the tabs for me which I did in the vice afterwards. Much like a brain teaser working out which order to fold it in so the next fold is possible. Now the re-locator block bolts on through the back side of the bracket which can then be bolted to the rail.

20140523_165526_zpsa54ce23a.jpg

Plastic peeled off, just needs the corners to be welded up this week and some holes/rivnuts to be put in the rail to mount it.

20140523_175116_zps56be4844.jpg

More soon.

Edited by CaBS

This is amazing! The attention to detail is second to none!! Well done

This is amazing! The attention to detail is second to none!! Well done

Thanks mate :)

This build just keeps breaking all barriers when it comes to the amount of little custom work going into it..

this thread just cost me soooo much of my saturday...... but i regret nothing! top work! keep it up! Oh so keen to see this bad boy/girl running!

This build just keeps breaking all barriers when it comes to the amount of little custom work going into it..

Thanks man, I think alot of other cars do the same stuff its just mines been so slow and I've made it abit of a personal mission to document it all so I dont forget.

this thread just cost me soooo much of my saturday...... but i regret nothing! top work! keep it up! Oh so keen to see this bad boy/girl running!

Cheers, glad you enjoyed the read! :)

great work so far, bet your itching to drive it already.

Thanks, very much so! :)

Hey martin, hows the car going?

Hey martin, hows the car going?

I've got some minor updates just need to have some time to go through the pics etc. I've been slowly working through small brackets etc which need to happen. Wiring planning is underway and should kick off in the near future as well.

I've got some other massive things going on which are not helping with time and or funds for the car atm or for the next few months ugh.

How about yours John?

Cool mate, its looking great.

No progress. Engine and box are sitting in the bay but have not touched it in over 6months. Will get back into it one day or part it out!!

Cool mate, its looking great. No progress. Engine and box are sitting in the bay but have not touched it in over 6months. Will get back into it one day or part it out!!

Ah thats no good. =/ Head to wtac to get some inspiration. :)

Long time between updates. I've had so much going on this year there has been little spare time for the car. The next six months is looking the same. Happy to get a few hours here and there to chip away on the long list and get some stuff done.

Turbo/manifold assembly now all welded up with elbow for the hot pipe.

20140530_160604_zps7f19925e.jpg

Needed to make this low profile plate out of some thin aluminum sheet with counter sunk holes.

20140606_143822_zps5224e2d1.jpg

Can see the high difference saves quite afew mm of space and lets us sit the gearbox closer to the chassis. Benefits being the motor sits flatter and tucks the gearbox much more neatly up under the car.

20140606_143907_zpsce51c5a4.jpg

Should do the trick :)

20140606_144346_zps32c201f2.jpg

Mitch zapped the corners of my little oil relocator mounting block for me.

20140606_151135_zpsd3a011c7.jpg

Will be sitting neatly here away from the tyre and rearwards of the splitter mounts welded onto the front of the rails.

20140606_152112_zps5a2a4429.jpg

One of the issues we noticed once I'd modified the shifter bracket I bought so it actually fitted the car, was that on gear changes it was flexing substantially. Because there is no support for it you could put it in gear and feel the bracket flex, without slamming it into gear which it might see some of in its life. =)

So I made these gussets out of steel sheet to brace the weak points. Seen here with all the scale and chromium coating linished off (or so I thought)

20140613_161642_zpsd65c88ad.jpg

It welded slightly average cause I hadn't quite got all the chromium off

20140613_174903_zpsecf2b0e7.jpg

Should get the trick done regardless though still needs some finishing up with the linisher. I'll do this when I get a chance.

20140613_174922_zps298ee3b9.jpg

We decided to remove the mesh out of the rear of the front guards which had to be done carefully as they are epoxied on pretty comprehensively. Reason being to let more out and I think it looks pretty cheap and shitty.

20140621_153232_zps28df1c47.jpg

At the same time the plan was to open up these rear vents to make them more effective at evacuating air and look a bit more aggressive.

20140621_153242_zpsac0ddd96.jpg

Probably not a huge difference but I prefer the look of it opened up and technically its better aero. Still needs some more sanding but you can see the difference between the bottom half which is almost done and the top half which is untouched.

20140621_170813_zps67db880f.jpg

Drivers side de-meshed ready to go next time.

20140621_170829_zpsb3285bb2.jpg

Spent the next Friday arvo working on a design for a billet bracket for the battery. The aim of which being neat will still give access to the balance charge point without removing it, strong and pretty. =)

20140711_163958_zps25fb01f5.jpg

More soon.

• Upvote 1

Great work man

Nice thinking with the gussets on the shifter bracket, also the low profile cover for the shifter assembly.

I need to do that for my box, I had to space mine down because of clearance issues.

I'm also using the same shifter bracket but without gussets, it's OK but i think it would feel more solid with some extra bracing.

Forgive my ignorance, but shouldn't the radiator be insulated (i.e. rubber mounts) to stop corrosion or electrolysis?

Cheers,

Andy

Great work man

Nice thinking with the gussets on the shifter bracket, also the low profile cover for the shifter assembly.

I need to do that for my box, I had to space mine down because of clearance issues.

I'm also using the same shifter bracket but without gussets, it's OK but i think it would feel more solid with some extra bracing.

Mine felt pretty ordinary when I sat in the car and did a few shifts the first time I fitted it up. I haven't had a chance to try it again yet but it should be rock solid now.

Forgive my ignorance, but shouldn't the radiator be insulated (i.e. rubber mounts) to stop corrosion or electrolysis?

Cheers,

Andy

If you look closely it is actually rubber mounted to the chassis its just hard mounted to the oil cooler and fmic but they're also rubber mounted so hopefully no issues like you described.

working like a man with beer in one hand a tools in the other ;) that enginebay is looking pretty damn good.

random thought and not sure if this has been answered, how are the hard rad pipes going to cope with engine movement/vibration?

I think Martin has just answered this question few pages back, this video should answer your question

Edited by ichi-go

Yeh they're a pretty neat design and just use o-rings as consumables so should be cheap to maintain after the hefty outlay to begin with though.

I'll comment on how they go once I've been using them for awhile on a working car though. We have been using them on the S15 intake for 6 months now without any issues.

A photo for reference. =)

20120414_150105.jpg