Sign in to follow this  
doridoriking

Hit and run on my car

Hi guys.

So someone did a hit and run on my car. I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions for what I can do.

I tried the police, they said unless I have an eye witness, or surveillance footage, the I shouldn't bother with a report.

I found a somewhat-intact piece of the other car's headlight reflector, and there are, of course, heaps of other pieces of mine and the other car all over the road.

I do not have insurance. Which means I think I will have to write off the car myself.. and buy a new one...

I have narrowed it down that it happened somewhere between 5 and 6:30am today.

Also, thinking it might be a local, as I live down a street off a main road, that would not be used by any one other than residents. Edit: I have spoken to some people and they seem to think that there are a fair few people using our street to cut through somewhere. So maybe scrap that.

Aside from walking around my area looking for damaged cars, Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance guys, just so gutted at the moment... :(

Edited by doridoriking

Sorry to say mate but there is very little you can do about it. With no insurance and no surveillance you are fresh out of options.

You can track down the perp and prove to yourself that they did it, but you have very little chance of proving to the cops they did it.

Probably not the best idea to say on a public forum you might write your car off too!

But yeah fresh outta luck, my old daily got keyed right down one side at a shopping centre! Life sucks sometimes man :(

'

Probably not the best idea to say on a public forum you might write your car off too!

hmmm... how do you figure?

by write off i mean 'cut my losses' .... and buy a new car

Ohh I see! Thought you meant write off ;)

Had a dog do this to my car a few months back. Ended up going Vietnam style through the backyards of the houses on my mates street where it happened and found the car that did it. Fronted them up, they denied it until I showed them that they left their paint on my car, and got mine on theirs. They finally admitted to it and we got them through insurance.

Bastards that do this stuff man, have a geez around, see what you can find. If you find the a with the damage, it's pretty easy to create an estimated layout of the event NCIS style and get them to admit what they did.

Had a dog do this to my car a few months back. Ended up going Vietnam style through the backyards of the houses on my mates street where it happened and found the car that did it. Fronted them up, they denied it until I showed them that they left their paint on my car, and got mine on theirs. They finally admitted to it and we got them through insurance.

Bastards that do this stuff man, have a geez around, see what you can find. If you find the a with the damage, it's pretty easy to create an estimated layout of the event NCIS style and get them to admit what they did.

This sounds like a good idea, I think I will go for a scout around later in the area, but I'm not holding out much hope.

Also, I have started calling smash repairers in the area asking if they have had anything that matches the limited description of the car that I have at the moment.

sorry to hear, it happened to me a while back, but luckily it was just a rear bar that needed replacing, i went to the cops and they didnt want a bar of it. i even managed to find the car that did it, gave them the rego and still they refused to do anything, they are a waste of time and we just have to wear the cost. All the best man. got any pics of the damage?

sorry to hear, it happened to me a while back, but luckily it was just a rear bar that needed replacing, i went to the cops and they didnt want a bar of it. i even managed to find the car that did it, gave them the rego and still they refused to do anything, they are a waste of time and we just have to wear the cost. All the best man. got any pics of the damage?

DSC_0377.JPG

Sigh.. it was my pride and joy for 6 years... my first car... the love of my life... :(

can't deal with it right now, but I am going to have a look later to see if I can fix it. maybe weld in a new quarter, just pull out the boot floor a bit... and yeh...

This happened to my missus car the other week.

We did a look around the neighbourhood.

Filed a report with the police.

Unfortunately there is f**k all you can do. Which sucks.

Looks like a truck or ute backed into it. Look around for that.

Looks like a truck or ute backed into it. Look around for that.

I think that picture is crap, so you can't see it very well, but I'm pretty sure it was a high speed impact, i was parked about 10 cm away from the gutter, now my rear wheel is up against it, and my front wheels have a tiny bit of lock on. Also there are bits of plastic from the lights, on my roof, in front of my car, on the grass, and I even found a couple of pieces like 10 m down the street in front of my car...

Edited by doridoriking

That honestly sucks man, it looks like it has buckled all the way along?. I can't even park my car on the road without being paranoid about thieves and retarded drivers.

happend to me just the other day. someone backed into my car (the nose is pretty low as we all know). no note, nothing. sucks.

short of checking every car that parks in the street my work is on I am shit out of luck I guess. I now park with a 2m gap in front of my car - f**k parking responsibly, the only thing you get is a damaged car.

Yea that looks like a pretty big hit! I would be looking for a truck or something maybe? Otherwise a car with quite a bit of damage..

Yeah man that's heavy. From what I can see in the photo looks like your best bet will be to just replace the quarter, rear bar, lights and hatch (if it has any damage). You'll need a new reo and probably have to do some beating of the beaver, as well as a lot of pulling in the boot floor pan. I'm not sure as I haven't pulled off a quarter from my 180, but depending on how close the rails are to the panel there might be some serious damage under there :(. I hope you get the bastard man.

I would be looking at the rail underneath too, I had a mate with a 33, less damage physically but insurance wrote the car off because the end of the rail was kinked..

The rear quarter is welded to the chassis, the only way to "replace" it would be to cut it off.

Given the value of the car, you would be better off buying another one and scrapping that for parts.

DSC_0377.JPG

Sigh.. it was my pride and joy for 6 years... my first car... the love of my life... :(

can't deal with it right now, but I am going to have a look later to see if I can fix it. maybe weld in a new quarter, just pull out the boot floor a bit... and yeh...

Wide body = fixed

Good luck mate

i have not had it happen to me this badly, someone did eff up my rear quarter on my first car, but it wasnt that bad, that is such a dog thing to do to someone, you must be gutted. keep an eye out for a damaged car, is there any paint on your car off the other car ? i hope it works out easy for you. it would be the worst feeling. :'(

ive seen it happen once, someone had there brand new mazda 6, and this lady in a VN, i have no idea how, but she reversed out of her car spot, didnt have enough room on the front because she didnt back out enough, but she hit the drivers side of the rear bar, and scrapped all the way to the other side, totally destroyed it, messed up the rear bar, smashed reflectors, ripped out reverse sensors. it was f**ked. and she drove away. i got her rego & went to the cops. and i was actually suprised, it happened right near the cop shop , so the cop walked up to the car with me, i had to write a report. i felt so silly for running to the cops to dob. but if it was my car i'd want someone to do the same thing. turns out, the lady who "left the scene of an accident" licence was expired, and the car she had she brought 6 months before, and it still wasnt in her name... she tried to deny she did it, and i nearly had to go to court to say i witnessed her doing what she did. but thank god she owned up to it. but she pretty much got fined big time. and the victims car , got repaired, and i got a thankyou letter.

i really hope it maybe there was a witness and they can come forward. people dont understand when they do things like this, it isnt just a $50 fix. its alot of money to pour out for someone elses stupidity.

Hey mate having had this happen to me start of this year in Doncaster I feel your pain, it's the worst thing in the world to wake up to a damaged car of which you cared for respected.

I hadnp witnesses however thankfully I had insurance, but they stuffed me around so I took a cash settlement and had my excess waved as they failed to meet there end of the contract and failed to resolve the issue in a timely manner (thanks to the financial ombudsman service)!

In Vic we use to have victims of crime, if itsavailable to you you could try claim though there!

Since my ordeal I bought 2 mini cams with gps logging! One in the front window and one in the rear (they arnt much larger then two/3short pencils bunched together) they areaways on when the car is on and triggered on with the alarm when the car is off with immobilizer armed! If anything happens you plug them into your computer with a USB cable and boom ya got yaself a video evidence with time and a gps position of where it was recorded!

Cost about $350 plus install and what not however something I'd consider well worth it when ya left with several thousands worth of damage for someone's else's stupidity

Good luck mate very sorry to hear about your misfortune!

Thanks for all the suggestions guys,

will report back if anything significant happens.

PS I did not realise this when i posted initially, but i remembered parking my car out the front of my house, however, in the morning it was parked outside the neighbour's house... sigh FML

I had someone side swipe my ute the other day out front of my house in lane cove. Fortunately I have a nice solid steel tray on the back and I think they left more of their car behind. So to ruin them I wrote a massive sign telling them that karma would get them and hung it high up the telegraph pole and got the mirror they left behind and tied it up to a tree as a nasty reminder. Hehehe if it's a neighbour it'll make them feel bad every day they drive past. Haha and guess what someone left $200 in my letterbox the other day with a sorry note.

Ps a slide hammer and a tin of bog and a days work could fix that without to much trouble. I'd be looking at whoever was parked opposite looks like they reversed into your car: tow bar or ute tray.

that thing has been punched hard

a slide hammer will do NOTHING

beaver panel and inners on that quarter will be rooted

if you are gonna repair it without putting a new quarter on you will most likely need it on the jig to square it back up and a dozer at minimum to pull it out the beaver and caved in quarter before you even think of bog.

Edited by Bossballer