Sign in to follow this  
KENut

Jun 17 IDA day Wakey

I'll be heading up with a few mates to watch and support everyone. If it rains and theres a spare spot I'll try get in on the day (although its sold out at the moment) but not really keen to drive at this stage in the dry.

I'm thinking about not driving.. I think I would be able to sell my spot. I'll take my car for a drive tomorrow and see how the gearbox feels. Don't want to be stranded with a broken gearbox.

Took the car for a drive, the gearbox is sounding worse and worse, high RPM range is horrific. Would anyone like to buy my place?

Does anyone know if you have to pay to spectate?

Nope spectate is free

Are you coming mate? ^ Get your steering gear sorted?

Another great day out at Wakefield held by IDA. Track was extreamly slick and low grip as it was still wet and cold from the recent rain. By mid day the soft edges meant that there was mud all over the track. A number of off's and people getting bogged int he swampy conditions meant that the day ran a bit slowly.

A31Cefiro was out in the white ceffy after years of gathering dust got a few sessions in but unfortunatly run into mechanical/electrical troubles and retiring early.

KEnut, was out in his black N/A S13 and first time at wakefield doing a great job and keeping up with much more powerful cars.

Sweefu's gearbox held up and was getting some good angle into the first corner on the short track but had a slight kiss with the tyer barrier which left the R31 a little bent.

Stinkypoo was out in the PRO class driving the wheels of his pretty stock S13 and showing up alot of the other guys with big budget cars.

As for me had a good day, was chasing a boost leak all morning as the car was down on power and running super rich, (literally spitting fuel out the exhaust) must have hit something pretty hard recently as I found out I had a massive dint in my intercooler (leaking badly), some Magic putty kept me in the game but intercooler is gonna need replacing. New steering rack turned out to be a god send and made life alot easier, The subframe bushes in the rear firmed up the back end making it more consistent and predicatble but most of all the camber arms made the car much more positive im the front end.

All in all a successful and great day out.

Unfortunatly no more IDA Drift Days this year but as all events sold out they are looking at holding more next year including a 2 day "matsuri" style event about Easter time next year.

Yeah my AFM shat itself, time to go aftermarket and get rid of the need for an AFM. Was starting to get more of a feel for things when it went too, bit of a shame but I was just happy to be back out there again. Car understeered like crazy too, but that's what happens when you can't get a wheel alignment before a track day & use old tyres as steerers :)

Man I hope i get more drift days this yeah. Sounds like it would have been fun. My car shat itself anyway so even if i wasn't in the states I'd just be watching.

My nismo diff arrived, so its another big upgrade time. This time round I'll be installing the diff, installing the skyline rearbrakes/braided lines, new master cylinder/lines to match them, plus the new replacement cam shaft to go in.

As for me had a good day, was chasing a boost leak all morning as the car was down on power and running super rich, (literally spitting fuel out the exhaust) must have hit something pretty hard recently as I found out I had a massive dint in my intercooler (leaking badly), some Magic putty kept me in the game but intercooler is gonna need replacing. ....

You have the "standard" 300x600x90 item don't you? if so I have a cooler pro item you can have. Its one of those $100 jobs of ebays, but it works. Its from my old silvia.

Everyone did really well, was a shame to see the R31 hit the tyres but lucky white r31s are pretty common here if you know the right person :P

Definitely enjoyed watching Eiji and Steve in the top class, probably the class of the day in my eyes.

I just put one of those cheap just jap cores on my 180 last saturday, goes pretty well :)

Lol "Pro" class. There were a fair few cars in Intermediate that were great to watch and might as well of been in a higher class. I think a bit of group balancing might work well, not sure how comfortable people would be moving groups though (up and down).

Pretty sure Sebastian's Intercooler was a "standard" item (600x300x76). His driving looked more controlled, we just need to get him off the handbrake, however it was Handbrake city last weekend. I think it's the most I had to use the handbrake at a drift event ever.

I have a few photos, Steve asked for some for Drift Battle but I'm not sure if he'll just post them on the Facebook page or publish them in a Mag.

Pretty sure Sebastian's Intercooler was a "standard" item (600x300x76). His driving looked more controlled, we just need to get him off the handbrake, however it was Handbrake city last weekend. I think it's the most I had to use the handbrake at a drift event ever.

Yep intercooler is "standard", got a new one enroute from justjap. Decided to go with a black one for something different, should look the goods. Getting more comfortable with clutch kicking but was trying to nurse the clutch as it has never been the same since I fried it at Matsuri. Keeps slipping in 3rd now. New suspension set up has made a massive difference car is alot more controllable.

I got a feeling the flywheel is gonna be a mess so looking into either an exedy with more aggressive material and upgraded pressure plate.Or going the whole hog and getting a Nismo coppermix from japan through Streeter. You've got one in the 180 in japan right, what do reckon? worth the extra coin?

During winter there is f*^k all motorsport on so got a few plans for the car. Next event from memory is motorkhana in September.

Anyone come across any pics/vids as yet...??

New suspension set up has made a massive difference car is alot more controllable.

What are you running now?

I got a feeling the flywheel is gonna be a mess so looking into either an exedy with more aggressive material and upgraded pressure plate.Or going the whole hog and getting a Nismo coppermix from japan through Streeter. You've got one in the 180 in japan right, what do reckon? worth the extra coin?

Fairly sure it's second hand though. I think when I asked him about it he said it was pretty dead if I remember.

Edited by _R_J_K_

Yep, got a Nismo Coppermix in the 180 in Japan. It was second hand, new one costs over $1000. Something keeps overheating in the car, either the clutch or the LSD. Most likely from the way I drive it. I did have a ORC one when I bought my half cut. That was good too, I think it cost over $1400 new. It didn't seem as harsh as the ceramic button clutches I have in the Skylines, however the ceramic button clutches were a lot cheaper, gearbox destroyers though.

Mario is uploading video. Pics are here and there, I'll try to remember to link them in when I see them next.

Yep, got a Nismo Coppermix in the 180 in Japan. It was second hand, new one costs over $1000. Something keeps overheating in the car, either the clutch or the LSD. Most likely from the way I drive it. I did have a ORC one when I bought my half cut. That was good too, I think it cost over $1400 new. It didn't seem as harsh as the ceramic button clutches I have in the Skylines, however the ceramic button clutches were a lot cheaper, gearbox destroyers though.

Yep apparently you can only buy the nismo coppermix with a new flywheel (hence why it is so expensive). Option B would be the exedy and machine the current flywheel. I think i will take it out and check the flywheel then make a descision. Replacing clutches is a pain in the arse so I am keen to do it once and do it properly. This current clutch lasted me 12-18 months and only 5000 km, but a fair bit of track time.

My original clutch I got with the car was a no name Jap thing which was great but stupidly stiff pressure plate. I am keen to stay organic as you say ceramic and brass button clutches are harsher and will tend to break axles and gearboxes.

Any one had any experiences with carbon clutches?

New suspension set up has made a massive difference car is alot more controllable.

What are you running now?

Had HSD HR coilovers (8/6 spring rates) for about 4 years now, still going strong, no leaks still in great nick, highly recomended. done maybe 40,000km on them? I have replaced pretty much every single ball join and bush in the front end over time. Car is still my daily.

New items that were installed were nolathane subframe bushes (super pro I think) in the back, cost bugger all and made the back so much more settled and leaves the car flatter in the corners or in a slide. Not so boaty, bad side is increased NHV but it is still bearable. Still less noisy than the 2way.

Also installed Castor rods in the front and go the whole thing aligned. Increased castor feels great, front end seems more positive, grippy and the car transitions much faster now. Both mods combined means car is much more responsive, direct and controllable.

Also put in a new steering rack as my old one was rooted, this also made a huge difference.

Alignment is max camber around 2.5 degrees in the front, max castor (not sure of measurement) and a tiny bit of toe in. Rear is neutral toe and about 2 degrees camber, I would like less but the camber arms are maxed out. I am really happy with it. Car is handling probably the best it ever has.

If your;ve ever seen pictures of a nismo copper mix pressure plate you will know why you need to buy the flywheel with it. I was quoted $1400ish from ESP and they were on super special price. down from near 1800. Not going to pay that much for a clutch. I used the Exedy Sports Organic (silver pressure plate). Uses the same plate as the nismo (its the nismo plate with exedy branding apparently, but that was from an exedy sales rep so who knows) and a standard style exedy pressure plate. I think its like 1400kgs or something. Way heavier than my previous clutch. After about 1000ks it became easy as to use in traffic.

But you should just go hard core and get the exedy triple puck sports ceramic. On off clutch FTW.