Sign in to follow this  
CaBS

SXDevelopments S15 (SXDS15) - Pursuit of the perfect circuit/road S15

Great to see you finally got a proper helmet James. Not that $60 plastic bloodbucket...

You cant afford for that head to get any uglier! haha

:hypo:

Are the Suttons still using the DE head?

S13 non VCT head

S13 non VCT head

I understood it was ex JTCC car nismo head that only a few were ever cast however I would never be able to tell the difference

Great pics - a lot to look at and absorb there.

Are you able to post a pic of the splitter that worked and the one that... worked less?

I'm interested in understanding what changed between them.

Thought i'd expand on this as we've learnt a lot about aero over the last few months.

Essentially the substantial increase in front aero required a significant change in suspension valving. Fine tuning this requires lots of testing. At the first wakefield outing we managed to get the suspension tuned to the original splitter with only 3 adjustments (which I was really surprised by) over 3 sessions. Car then felt amazing.

Subsequently went out with the new splitter and the car suddenly handled very differently changing nothing other than the front aero. Spent about 4 sessions trying to tune for that change but the changes required in valving were more dramatic as we didn't have enough rear downforce, so were asking the shocks to cover for the shortfall which they did pretty well.

Car was then handling really well and inspired confidencce... Then we changed from the hankooks to the advan's on day 1 of Wtac which as i've explained before put us on the back foot.

All good learning though. Have a no. of ideas now to test next year when the bank balance recovers a bit.

Probably overdue for an update. Been sidetracked recently doing a lot of wakeboarding which has been fun but the car has been a little neglected.

So one of the areas I've not been happy with is the inlet side. The Mazworx inlet manifold cracked and then after we fixed that we made a brace which was creating a tiny coolant leak (from seal on the neck) from vibration which was really really annoying constantly resealing.

So hypertune have been keen for me to run one or there manifolds so we started work not only changing the manifold but also removing all the silicons joins and replacing with wiggins clamps which are awesome.

Will be more pics over the next week.

First one is the before shot...

image.jpg

First step was to check clearances to everything.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Parts all pulled off to be cleaned or anodized.

image.jpg

To keep things moving, here is a pic of the sanding that has to go into polishing piping. Starting with 320 grit and working all the way up to 3000. When using 320 I actually used an orbital because its faster, particularly when you're trying to make a weld disappear....

photo 10.JPG

Here is a the same pipe sanding complete starting to polish.

photo9.JPG

Here is the pipes completed

photo11.JPG

Edited by nfi

Thanks Ichi-go. Here is a pic still in mock up phase with the wiggins clamps and piping. Forget the non matching clamps and one of them the colour has actually faded, we're just using them to mock up and save the new ones for final assembly.

Really didn't want to use a donut for the piping off the throttle body so we managed to use a piece of mandrel so there is no joins in it. Not having a silicon join anywhere makes it a million times nicer to work on. Its surprising how much movements these wiggins clamps have in them.

photo34.JPG

Edited by nfi

Getting close.. Final assembly of the intake manifold with the anodising and clear powder coat complete. You can't really see in the pic but the clear powder cost makes the main plenum not mark so it looks good permanently.

Once the rocker cover is repainted it will tie the colour scheme together and make sense. Think that is going to be after the next track day in a couple of weeks.

image.jpg

Unless I've got this wrong, from my understanding is your tune [dyno graph on page 8] only on a basic tune with the engine still needing to be dialed in further? What sort of boost and fuel are you running also? Curious because I've got similar mods to my own VE head and waiting for mine to be tuned

Yeah Lockie that was just a run in tune.

Finish tune brings the power on earlier with 400rwkw made on just under 20psi.

What's your turbo? I've got a GTX3076r with .63ar on my own with near identical mods. I'm hoping for 370-400kw@16psi off 98 octane but mines only a 2L still

I'm running a precision 6262. Haven't seen too many gtx's to know what they make. I'd run a bit more boost than that if you can just to make the most from the turbo. I only stopped because we didn't know how much power the car would take on the race track and be driveable.

Running e85.

Edited by nfi

Tuning will be done anywhere between 16-24psi as I'm running two fuel maps off the ECU. I take it that 6262 isn't too much bigger then my own then? For example mines 650hp rated but then again I'm not 2.3L like yours

Good power though from a engine that's "just a SR" against a built RB26 :P

Nice. 6262 I think from memory is 680hp rated. Yours should be an awesome combo.

Nice. 6262 I think from memory is 680hp rated. Yours should be an awesome combo.

705hp rated I think

Love this thing!

also..

Do you want to sell your old mazworx plenum?

Love this thing!

also..

Do you want to sell your old mazworx plenum?

It was already sold before it came off the car sorry man.

just read from page 1... car has come a very long way!! incredible read.

A lot of blood sweat and tears.. and then more tears!

Looking forward to more from this!

just read from page 1... car has come a very long way!! incredible read.

A lot of blood sweat and tears.. and then more tears!

Looking forward to more from this!

Thanks Pabs. Pretty spot on.

• Upvote 1

Plenty of updates to come over next few days. Just back from The Lowdown.com track day which was awesome. Our day was cut a bit short on something silly but more updates on that later.

To start with absolutely stoked with the beautiful piece of carbon the Sutton brothers made for me. It's vacuumed bagged work of art that weighs 219 grams.

image.jpg

Sorry guys got a bit side tracked... Ended up taking this week of work and been working on the car.

Lowdown track day was awesome. With all the fabrication changes we decided to turn it down a touch so we went with 25rwkw less just to check everything was ok. Still had 370-380rwkw though so wasn't complaining.

We'd made some changes to the valving in the shocks just to see if we could further tweak, was a bit experimental but it worked really well car felt awesome. First session was a mid 1.02 which I was pretty happy with. Then couple of sessions in the low 1.02's. Wasn't stringing the whole track together with at least one screw up in every lap but at least the car was feeling pretty good. Then coming down the horse shoe into the slippery dip the power steering belt jumped of.. Holy molly I shat myself... At 1.6g at 160ish I literally couldn't turn the wheel. Honestly felt like steering lock was on so I had a decent off on the grass.

Luckily no damage, just massaged the splitter frame that I've straightened quite a few times. In the process of making a new one today actually. Luckily had a spare belt so we put a new one on but noticed the custom bracket we made 3 years who had elongated on one of the mounting holes and the pump was actually toeing in a bit towards the engine so weren't sure how long it would last but decided to go out anyway.

Next session the kahunas were slightly affected and I was braking a bit earlier than normal but actually did my best lap of the day of a 1.02 flat. That is 6 tenths off the PB of 1.01.4 but we were till happy with it considering. End of the session after parking it we noticed the belt was literally half off the pulley so decided to not risk it and call it a day as if it came off on turn 1 I'm not sure it would be able to avoid the wall. So time for a new ps bracket. Want to keep it mounted nice and low though. Have ordered a Taark one as he makes great stuff and it's easier to use a good product off the shelf than make another custom one that is stronger.

So now need to finish new splitter frame and do some more testing. There is a bit more refinement to go into the suspension. Also have the usual problem of developing too much front downforce with splitters we've made that I can't use because I don't have a big enough rear wing. Can't afford a bigger voltex one right now so it's going to have to wait. Still plenty in the car with the current aero package on the car.

Here is a pic from Selectnine and Jason from the lowdown.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by nfi

More pics to come of the engine bay as well. Just need to finish off the rocker cover when we get a chance.