Sign in to follow this  
nisskid

We really have to pick up our game...

Chef why not just get 16 Adelaide locals have a mid arvo session at the old Mitsubishi factory car park? Roll in, kill it, roll out :)

I know I had a discussion with a few guys a while back about renting some industrial warehouses or dock areas and running a comp that was just for shits and giggles and was for video only - in other words, have 16 cars, a few judges and lots of cameras, the guys go out and have some fun, then have a crack at a top 16 layout, keep the location a secret where possible so there aren't any hangers-on, then put it up online. I'd still love to see that happen.

just quietly. thats a pretty sweet idea.

much like the comp DC (i think) had with all their pro riders/skaters/etc not long ago. purely to film in sweet spots, doing cool/utterly insane shit.

^ There's a few reasons Aussie proximity is lacking. Not enough practice, not enough skill, drag races off the start line (lack of respect for opponent & crowd by not putting on a show). Safety is not the factor that limits proximity, judges want to see it but don't place enough emphasis on it, and if they do then the drivers simply aren't doing it.

NOTE: Above comments are sweeping generalisations and not aimed at any specific individuals in the Aussie scene.

Been emphasising it since about 2004...the problem is that when there's too much emphasis on proximity, the chase drivers just sacrifice angle in order to get in tight, which looks equally stupid as sitting 10 car lengths back.

i'm not sure what the problem with that is? i don't see the point of 2 cars being on the track together, if they aren't close. proximity should be enforced primarily, no one in the crowd cares if the guy behind is carrying 5 degrees less angle if he is on his door. from a technical point of view, proximity is a much harder skill than holding more angle, which is often simply a result of better car setup, especially if it's mid corner angle. that's not to say don't penalise someone for less angle, but if a driver asks you, well i have a slow car compared to the guy im against, should i hang back and try and keep the same angle, or should i trim the angle and get on his door? you'd be crazy to say the first one, and you'd be naive to ask for both.

lol there's no problem with it at all until, when there's a huge mismatch in terms of skill (or horsepower), the chase driver is literally gripping the track in order to keep up. I'm not talking about just trimming a bit of angle, I'm talking about people throwing it out the window. And I was actually saying that neither result is good.

lol if it's not clear to someone that straightening and gripping the course is completely different to trimming angle, then they shouldn't be anywhere near competitive drift.

Mindset/attitude change will see miles achieved instead of millimeters.

Cant get over the "we've already tried that" attitude of the "01'ers"

I'm not sure if that was aimed at me, but the "we've tried that" comes about because we HAVE been having the same discussions for a number of years. Hell I was pushing for an Australian Drift Association, so that the future of the sport was controlled by the drivers rather than the organisers, back in 2004. If someone wants to take it on and run with it, feel free.

Reality is for me, I've hung around in drift way more than I would have liked to, and probably certainly longer than a lot of other people would have liked me to. But you newer guys need to step up and start taking some of these positions if you want to have a say. Track owners aren't going to listen to a bunch of young blokes who can't even agree amongst themselves, let alone explain it to a track owner.

Ideally, it would simply involve the community having a change in attitude, and that's very important too - but until we have dedicated drift tracks, and dedicated track management who understand drift culture, you're still going to have to dance with the devil and deal with crusty old track owners and CAMS/AASA. And that means being organised and having either a group or one person to represent everyone's views.

VicDrift are a great example of how this can work (although I'm sure they have their frustrations too!), and the new DriftSA is too.

we're now getting into an area i never wanted to discuss in here in the first place, this isn't about organisation, events or tracks, it's about driver attitude when they go out and drift, for some people it might seem hard to understand that event organisation doesn't have to play much of a role in what goes on out at the track, and the quality of drifting that takes place, but at the end of the day it's true. i'm talking about working with what we have, people whinge so much about organisation, judging, track time, etc etc, but it's really not that hard, there is a stupid amount of good drifting to be done here, people just need to go out and f**king do it.

btw, this isn't to say the organisation part doesn't need scrutiny, but this is a separate subject.

Edited by nisskid

Who considers it that? The guys competing in it and the general public spectating probably do but most drifters have clued onto the fact that being top 16 at a national level event does not equal top 16 in Australia.

Dont know about you tsurikawa but at least 1/2 of those guys are 'big names' in Australian drifting in my books.

What was with that comp? Too much grip on the track and not enough of a run up to pick the speed up, or was the camber of the track making it next to impossible to throw in a big entry?

Didnt see one smooth run from the whole lot.

there was a huge run up... and really no excuse. ive done that section myself and its not overly difficult.

Dont know about you tsurikawa but at least 1/2 of those guys are 'big names' in Australian drifting in my books.

What was with that comp? Too much grip on the track and not enough of a run up to pick the speed up, or was the camber of the track making it next to impossible to throw in a big entry?

Didnt see one smooth run from the whole lot.

to me it looked like a mix of not enough speed and camber of the road making those who did enter big enough spin.

there was a huge run up... and really no excuse. ive done that section myself and its not overly difficult.

lol and there is the answer from someone who DOES drift and knows, Thanks Simon.

im not pretending to be perfect. but i do practice a lot of backwards entries. i dont always get ir right. would be gay if i did haha. But for some of the guys in that vid they have never attempted a backwards entry before.

lol if it's not clear to someone that straightening and gripping the course is completely different to trimming angle, then they shouldn't be anywhere near competitive drift.

I agree, and yet they're still there. Certainly in state comps, that's going to be fairly common at the lower end. One international judge I worked with (a while back) at a local comp said judging here is literally a matter of counting the mistakes that each driver made, then awarding the win to whoever made less. Ouch.

we're now getting into an area i never wanted to discuss in here in the first place, this isn't about organisation, events or tracks, it's about driver attitude when they go out and drift, for some people it might seem hard to understand that event organisation doesn't have to play much of a role in what goes on out at the track, and the quality of drifting that takes place, but at the end of the day it's true. i'm talking about working with what we have, people whinge so much about organisation, judging, track time, etc etc, but it's really not that hard, there is a stupid amount of good drifting to be done here, people just need to go out and f**king do it.

btw, this isn't to say the organisation part doesn't need scrutiny, but this is a separate subject.

What you're saying is that the cultural change needs to come from those within the sport. I completely agree on that point.

im not pretending to be perfect. but i do practice a lot of backwards entries. i dont always get ir right. would be gay if i did haha. But for some of the guys in that vid they have never attempted a backwards entry before.

all they're asking for is a big entry, something exciting, if not one of them has ever practiced pushing a car to it's limits, or doing something exciting then it's a pretty bad sign for comp drift.

Who considers it that? The guys competing in it and the general public spectating probably do but most drifters have clued onto the fact that being top 16 at a national level event does not equal top 16 in Australia.

unfortunately that view isn't shared by everyone, but you'll find a lot aspire to be those top 16 drivers, instead of looking around them and aspiring to the awesome driving happening around them.

I agree, and yet they're still there. Certainly in state comps, that's going to be fairly common at the lower end. One international judge I worked with (a while back) at a local comp said judging here is literally a matter of counting the mistakes that each driver made, then awarding the win to whoever made less. Ouch.

you didn't need an international judge to tell you that lol, you could have picked anyone out of any crowd at a drift event and they would have happily told you haha. once again, more examples, and nothing to do with organisation, just low quality drivers without enough experience making it high in the ranks.

Edited by nisskid

it sounds like what you would love to see happen here nisskid is for maybe some Japanesse drivers to tour Australia which would expose those here to the style and skill of other drivers.

I think amongst the drift community there is an instant respect towards Japanese drivers and this is probably what would help others take notice.

That, or at the very least pull some of these judges aside and say "This is what you should be looking for".

So over this slow and late transition shit. Transitions should be made as soon and as quickly as possible.

Im not to sure if this has been said but in this whole discussion in regards to driving and power and skill and everything in that genre..

We make the drift track layouts complicated because level of driving is not good enough.

Here is in my opinion the worlds most basic professional drift track, with Judges scoring it to an incredibly fine line there is a hard push on the drivers is to accomplish the nearly impossible.. Heres 2 videos of 2 runs both not scoring a perfect run but making a basic looking track see incredibly difficult, with the requirements being thru the roof.

Second to the above i dont believe Australian vehicles are setup correctly in comparison to Japan either after watching D1GP in person D1SL in Person sitting onboard for a stack of laps with a D1GP driver and spectating at multiple different track's around the place Australians run oversized turbos and non stop clutch kick the flow into the corner and flow out is completely different..

Back to the videos...

Video 1 - Daigo Saito - Score 94.5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMfEfBKldPA&feature=relmfu

Video 2 - D-Koh-Kae - Score 88.5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Luac5xUrn0U&feature=relmfu

Edited by antonioシ

Problem is majority of Australia don't understand what a proper entry is.

Quit doing scandos for every single corner. Big entry or not your never going to get the same momentum push as a single throw in will give. People don't do it because it's harder to wash off speed from that one big slide then it is to trim it from a scando transition where it's already slowed itself down from the first initiation.

For the country to get better the left arm needs to start holding onto the steering wheel instead of standby on the handbrake more often.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Otr2dZQZU54

/thread

These dudes grow up to end up driving cars like these

10103.JPG

Imamura.Drifting.2010.jpg

They built up to that level. Its obvious from watching that first video and comparing it to now days their skill has increased ten fold. I mean look they arent even entering over the crest and running along side the wall.

This shit doesnt happen over night, it really is a simple formula but so many people miss the mark.

well, let's take a local example, anyone see when leg had control over the cts car? unstoppable, in any conditions, chuck simon p (no disrespect to the guy, but he didn't come from the same basic fundamentals as leg) and he struggled in harsh conditions like wet etc.

we definitely have some great examples of talent in aus, it's just sad that means 2/10 of f**k all to who gets a drive in a decent car in comps.

i say that, but it will be awesome to see leg and a few other talents at WTAC, going up against kuma and suenaga.

I think you took my post the wrong way. I'm getting at look how that competition was run. It was f**king chilled as. Then look what they build it into... 10 years later.

Australias jumping in at the top end of the scale when we havent put in the ground work.

I think you took my post the wrong way. I'm getting at look how that competition was run. It was f**king chilled as. Then look what they build it into... 10 years later.

Australias jumping in at the top end of the scale when we havent put in the ground work.

nah i was more saying we have some examples of local drivers who developed the same way a lot of the d1gp drivers did, ground up.

i say that, but it will be awesome to see leg and a few other talents at WTAC

f**k yeah, Leg has an awesome style can't wait to see him back into it.

we definitely have some great examples of talent in aus, it's just sad that means 2/10 of f**k all to who gets a drive in a decent car in comps.

I think we're too concerned about the minuscule stuff here in Australia. Look at your R32, it's beaten and has damage on most (if not all) of the panels. Why? Because you just get out there and drift. Even your C33 which has a stock engine (last I read on your YouTube channel) is drifted. In Japan the attitude seems to be "here's my RWD car and there is a corner. I'm going to try to drift". In Australia it seems to be more of a "Here's my RWD car, and there's a corner. I'd try to drift, but I don't have $3,000 rims, a gigantic turbocharger, 70mm widebody kit, perfectly stanced and flushed wheels, and probably wont look AWESOMESAUCE to the girls because of that. Well, better hold off for 6 months while I get all that stuff together".

There's too much emphasis on the way the cars look, which is odd considering drifting is a sport where damage is a guarantee over a period of time. Even the Hit and Run boys (probably my top rated club for AusDrifting) has many cars undergoing repainting, fitting of new bodykits, and a new phase which is yet to be unveiled.

It's odd that everyone seems to fully appreciate a beaten drift pig, but wouldn't want to own one. I would be proud to own a beaten up pig, as it would show that I have gone out again and again to throw my car into a magical trance sideways through a corner, without concern of how I look doing it.

Anyone got any videos of this leg guy? Wouldn't mind seeing what the fuss is aboot.

newbie knows all, but doesnt know leg :P

As I said in my giant rant .... Lack of track days in NSW... get bored... do stuff on car... miss only trackday in 3 months... hate life

newbie knows all, but doesnt know leg :P

I haven't really been involved in the Australian drift scene ever. Most of the videos I've watched were from Japan/America, and even then it's been some 3 - 4 years since I've properly immersed myself in them. :)

I think we're too concerned about the minuscule stuff here in Australia. Look at your R32, it's beaten and has damage on most (if not all) of the panels. Why? Because you just get out there and drift. Even your C33 which has a stock engine (last I read on your YouTube channel) is drifted. In Japan the attitude seems to be "here's my RWD car and there is a corner. I'm going to try to drift". In Australia it seems to be more of a "Here's my RWD car, and there's a corner. I'd try to drift, but I don't have $3,000 rims, a gigantic turbocharger, 70mm widebody kit, perfectly stanced and flushed wheels, and probably wont look AWESOMESAUCE to the girls because of that. Well, better hold off for 6 months while I get all that stuff together".

There's too much emphasis on the way the cars look, which is odd considering drifting is a sport where damage is a guarantee over a period of time. Even the Hit and Run boys (probably my top rated club for AusDrifting) has many cars undergoing repainting, fitting of new bodykits, and a new phase which is yet to be unveiled.

It's odd that everyone seems to fully appreciate a beaten drift pig, but wouldn't want to own one. I would be proud to own a beaten up pig, as it would show that I have gone out again and again to throw my car into a magical trance sideways through a corner, without concern of how I look doing it.

Anyone got any videos of this leg guy? Wouldn't mind seeing what the fuss is aboot.

it's true about the whole "drift pigs are cool" thing, yet no one wants to actually truly own one, every now and then someone will build a "missile" which has no resemblance to a real example of a battle car/missile, but likes to be part of the image. it's to do with people's disconnection with their convictions, people are more interested in the image they portray to others rather than being comfortable in doing what they want to do. i hear it that many times, people telling me they don't give a f**k what others think, yet all that is, is another layer of image being put up, looking cool by saying they don't give a shit. irony at it's best.

oh, and leg is Leighton Fine

Ah, Leighton Fine. ;) Yeah I know who he is. I remember when his onevia was stolen some time ago. Great drifter.

Ah, Leighton Fine. wink.png Yeah I know who he is. I remember when his onevia was stolen some time ago. Great drifter.

That's Darren Appleton bro. Hahahaha.