Sign in to follow this  
nisskid

We really have to pick up our game...

And I agree with a lot of the sentiments here. I can't stand the drift scene now. We were all kings of spending too much money on blinged up cars, when the money should have been spent on developing the skills we had.

The old days were definitely far better than it is now. With the strength of street drift, people didn't wanna take their cars off the road and build them. It was about driving. Nowadays the skill level is hardly any better. These extreme entries are stupid. Everyone was so quick to lick top level drifters arses with their "backwards entries" and things like that, that they failed to see how rubbish they actually were.

Putting a car in backwards and then straightening it isn't talent. It's just stupid. It'd have to be one fluent motion to be anything worth mentioning. But they never were. Can't stand that shit.

Drift will continue to be a fledgling sport in this country, because everyone has the wrong attitude. If you're serious about developing, it's time to move to Japan. Avoid the rubbish tracks, rubbish competitions, rubbish judging, and rubbish drivers here.

There are only a handful of drivers from this country worth mentioning as being at a reasonable level. 90% of Australian "pro drivers" wouldn't stand a chance in a local competition in Japan. It's really that sad.

When it comes to developing yourself, people need to look more into people like Christian Pickering and Stewie. They're both jerks but they have the right idea when it comes to really advancing their driving and moving ahead of what our country provides them.

As for the mention of Leighton Fine, he is truly a freak. For someone that simply doesn't drift on a regular basis, his ability to advance on the spot and stay at the pinnacle is scary. I daresay the majority would go backwards trying to do things like he does haha.

Ah, Leighton Fine. ;) Yeah I know who he is. I remember when his onevia was stolen some time ago. Great drifter.

That's Darren Appleton bro. Hahahaha.

....shit.

Told you all it's been a while!

And I agree with a lot of the sentiments here. I can't stand the drift scene now. We were all kings of spending too much money on blinged up cars, when the money should have been spent on developing the skills we had.

The old days were definitely far better than it is now. With the strength of street drift, people didn't wanna take their cars off the road and build them. It was about driving. Nowadays the skill level is hardly any better. These extreme entries are stupid. Everyone was so quick to lick top level drifters arses with their "backwards entries" and things like that, that they failed to see how rubbish they actually were.

Putting a car in backwards and then straightening it isn't talent. It's just stupid. It'd have to be one fluent motion to be anything worth mentioning. But they never were. Can't stand that shit.

Drift will continue to be a fledgling sport in this country, because everyone has the wrong attitude. If you're serious about developing, it's time to move to Japan. Avoid the rubbish tracks, rubbish competitions, rubbish judging, and rubbish drivers here.

There are only a handful of drivers from this country worth mentioning as being at a reasonable level. 90% of Australian "pro drivers" wouldn't stand a chance in a local competition in Japan. It's really that sad.

When it comes to developing yourself, people need to look more into people like Christian Pickering and Stewie. They're both jerks but they have the right idea when it comes to really advancing their driving and moving ahead of what our country provides them.

As for the mention of Leighton Fine, he is truly a freak. For someone that simply doesn't drift on a regular basis, his ability to advance on the spot and stay at the pinnacle is scary. I daresay the majority would go backwards trying to do things like he does haha.

Meh

f**k this noise man!

Australias gonna make progress duke and it will be no thanks to the *enchilada's* who keep talking about the glory days.

Lol the f**king glory days... they still happen they're just with out you. People sucking dick makes it easy to spot the fake.

Seriously can all the doubters of the scene book a trip to Qld and let me give you the tour on how drift should be in Australia?

There are so many good things about the Australian scene that everyone over looks (understandably its easier to just hate on shit and follow the crowd) It really annoys me when i see posts like "f**k Australian drift mannnnn shits wackkkk man just go to japan"

Yeah there is a fair bit of wackness going about over here in Australia but f**k what a shitty solution. "HEY THIS WILL FIX AUSTRALIAN DRIFT, LETS JUST LEAVE IT"

WERE NEVER GONNA BE ANOTHER COUNTRY.

And f**king good because I love Australia. So how about we have a scope of what we have, then have a scope of what hasnt worked in the past. Then i dunno maybe have a cram session and come up with some innovative ideas????

Shit THERES A NEW IDEA.

I've got the solution but people are so caught up in repeating the same played out no good for Australian Drift formula. Cashed up miners HIT ME!

What I see as a great example of how Aussie drift needs to work towards becoming is the new short track series in QLD, I follow it on SD and it looks like the most fun ever, good vibe, awesome layout, always crammed full of spectators, makes me massively jelous, I get excited just waiting for the pics and discussion about it after the event

I've got no money but I'd be happy to hit you mez :lol: keen to hear your ideas though.

Ignorance is the biggest problem with drift in aus, that and national level comps that sell spots in the pro class rather than people earning them. So many skilled drivers without the financial backing to travel interstate and compete are going unnoticed at a comp level, because the guys with the money and backing can buy a season ticket to the 'top 32' of the closest thing we have to a national series.

Vic is getting better and making some moves with afew more practice days being organised lately which is awesome to see, as without practice days we're never going to develop the skills to improve the pro level of driving in aus.

MeZ give me 2 years and we can have a series going in this god damn drift hated country.

We should start puttin the motions forward, maybe talk to some FD organizers and see how they went about approaching sponsors and tracks?

In the mean time, I wanna just keep having fun, keen for more trips to Winton and a trip to hack the short track for like 2 days

dude, you spent years building your car only to sell it before ever laying a skid :lol: the old days were no different to the new days in that respect, think frank hodak etc.

reminiscing is cool, but it's always going to be with some fondness. it's always been about the image as a majority.

Problem is majority of Australia don't understand what a proper entry is.

Quit doing scandos for every single corner. Big entry or not your never going to get the same momentum push as a single throw in will give. People don't do it because it's harder to wash off speed from that one big slide then it is to trim it from a scando transition where it's already slowed itself down from the first initiation.

For the country to get better the left arm needs to start holding onto the steering wheel instead of standby on the handbrake more often.

+1 to this, I find it funny when I talk to people about single flick entries or feint entries and they say "ass dragging is fail"

take a look at ADGP, they said there would be no scando entries then on the 1st round at Calder (and again this year) they force people to do it then have a wall clipping point which leads to the following

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDa08C6IT1I

compare it to this (skip to 2:05)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGLjLu8-VYs&feature=plcp

or this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prxyE1k03q8&feature=plcp

what would most people rather see, someone cutting into the wall then away or someone sliding along it?

I think there are a lot of good drivers out there but not many seem to understand what a good drift is, just look at Stadium Drift Tailem Bend this year compared to last year, after Nisskid drilling it into us how they should enter the 1st corner so much people finally figured it out and now most of the drivers push it a lot wider to the outside of the track which means there are a lot closer battles

The fact that I'm writing this post, is whats wrong with Aussie drift.

We all want to have our say, we all want to tell everyone else what they need to do to make Aussie drift better.

Now that I've said that, the rest of this post will be very hypocritical, but bare with me.

I think that instead of comin on here and throwing down your 2c, instead of getting caught up in why everyone else is killing Aussie drift, every single person involved with drift could do well to chill out, put the keyboard away and just focus on bettering their own shit.

Drivers: drive better. Never mind how your car looks, the whole shebang will look more impressive if you can steer it properly.

Filmers: make better vids. Don't worry about what other cats are doin with their vids, just edit it in your own style and concentrate on capturing cunce having fun and driving well.

Comp guys: try and focus on rewarding cats who can steer. Spectators will love seeing guys with skills all pushing themselves, not blokes with cash keeping their sponsors happy. We understand you need to make money or there'll be no comps, but running a comp purely so that it pays for itself is a means to its end.

OGs who have (mostly) left the scene: giving us the rose tinted history lesson isn't helping anyone. Neither is saying 'we tried that it doesn't work'. If drift is no longer a high priority in your life, posting in threads like these shouldnt be either.

And with that, the cycle continues. I've told all you lot what I think you should be doing, some of you will be compelled to retort, and this thread (along with many like it in the future) will continue to keep us all focussed on critiquing other people's shit rather than improving our own.

In closing, see you on the track, when your car looks right of course.

The fact that I'm writing this post, is whats wrong with Aussie drift.

We all want to have our say, we all want to tell everyone else what they need to do to make Aussie drift better.

Now that I've said that, the rest of this post will be very hypocritical, but bare with me.

I think that instead of comin on here and throwing down your 2c, instead of getting caught up in why everyone else is killing Aussie drift, every single person involved with drift could do well to chill out, put the keyboard away and just focus on bettering their own shit.

Drivers: drive better. Never mind how your car looks, the whole shebang will look more impressive if you can steer it properly.

Filmers: make better vids. Don't worry about what other cats are doin with their vids, just edit it in your own style and concentrate on capturing cunce having fun and driving well.

Comp guys: try and focus on rewarding cats who can steer. Spectators will love seeing guys with skills all pushing themselves, not blokes with cash keeping their sponsors happy. We understand you need to make money or there'll be no comps, but running a comp purely so that it pays for itself is a means to its end.

OGs who have (mostly) left the scene: giving us the rose tinted history lesson isn't helping anyone. Neither is saying 'we tried that it doesn't work'. If drift is no longer a high priority in your life, posting in threads like these shouldnt be either.

And with that, the cycle continues. I've told all you lot what I think you should be doing, some of you will be compelled to retort, and this thread (along with many like it in the future) will continue to keep us all focussed on critiquing other people's shit rather than improving our own.

In closing, see you on the track, when your car looks right of course.

this is why i

I think there are a lot of good drivers out there but not many seem to understand what a good drift is, just look at Stadium Drift Tailem Bend this year compared to last year, after Nisskid drilling it into us how they should enter the 1st corner so much people finally figured it out and now most of the drivers push it a lot wider to the outside of the track which means there are a lot closer battles

it's definitely getting there, i think it's just unatural to take what the judges say too literally as they are often pretty used to the judging briefing being fairly unimportant, and not very informative. people generally just want to get out there and drift their own way, and think if they did well then they should score well. i think emphasising on key points is critical, at tailem your entry and line into turn 1 pretty much dictates 80% of your score unless you f**k something real bad in the rest of the course.

this is why we are seeing really good drivers rising within tailem bend, and consistent placers as the true driving talent is being revealed, as opposed to those with speccy cars with nothing to back it up.

Lol what you mean you agree Stewy you're the one that started the thread and have done the most complaining, now agreeing that the thread is dumb and know one should care what others are thinking.??

Vic is getting better and making some moves with afew more practice days being organised lately which is awesome to see, as without practice days we're never going to develop the skills to improve the pro level of driving in aus.

ahh not really, the people who generally attend practice days in Victoria rarely if ever do competitions, Go to your next practice day and atleast 70/80% of the cars there don't do competitions, Most just drift to be able to drift and that's it. Look at the Lanes aswell the Solo lane at Winton is about 2x the length of the Tandem lane at times if not greater, Group C at winton has the most cars aswell.

The stats do highly show that Victoria may have the highest amount of cars that attend drift days, but we probably sit as 1 of the lowest in terms of drivers whom compete or are in anyway able to be competitive.

Victoria has 'some' drivers that have pushed themself to learn more and compete harder because they wanted to get better, Yet you can still see guys who have been out there for 5+ years and still havent really done much for themself.

Edited by antonioシ

How does that change anything I wrote? Nobody is going to get good enough to be competitive if they don't go to practice days to build up some skills....

And the fact that group c is the biggest group is a good thing, it shows there are plenty of newcomers getting into the scene and regularly attending practice days which is a good sign for the sport as a whole.

I don't see why you would want to be competitive, and by that I mean doing comps to try win. The way its all going its just going to be ANOTHER commericalised "sport". Wasn't the whole reason for people to drift to get away from sport and compitition and just go out and have a good time?

For those who attended the practice day at Calder on saturday (ADGP PRACTICE), thats how ALL drift events should be. It was the simplest form.. and the most entertaining. One car after another, or the tandem, rinse and repeat 100 fold.

Edited by Bray!

the private day i went to on sunday was by far one of the funnest events id hit up in a long time

25 cars. back to back laps, passengers, general looseness and because everyone was mates, everyone was pushing each other harder all day, and helping fix broken cars.

i was in my 1.5k shitter giving it shit all day, you could see a couple guys whom had NEVER drifted before, progress so so much in just one day, just with a cpl seasoned guys giving pointers and showing them the right line (the "stew" line haha)

drift is what the individual makes it. go out and have fun. who cares whoelse is doing what.

Lol what you mean you agree Stewy you're the one that started the thread and have done the most complaining, now agreeing that the thread is dumb and know one should care what others are thinking.??

as andrew said, he's being hypocritical, his points on what will help drift i agree with, as far as not speaking up, well obviously i don't agree with him there, and clearly neither does he since he went on to speak up himself lol

as far as using the word complaining, that's just a cop out for people who don't want to stand up and criticise publicly, but are happy to sit around with mates talking shit about it all.

at the end of the day, call it whinging, complaining, what ever you want to, shit doesn't get done by people sitting around with their thumbs up their arses keeping their thoughts to themselves.

Edited by nisskid

as far as using the word complaining, that's just a cop out for people who don't want to stand up and criticise publicly, but are happy to sit around with mates talking shit about it all.

at the end of the day, call it whinging, complaining, what ever you want to, shit doesn't get done by people sitting around with their thumbs up their arses keeping their thoughts to themselves.

Stewy its great to have a discussion about it but i would think you would of seen over your time on NS and just like mine that these threads that go on for pages and pages are a regular occurance, the rants on facebook that go on for 100+ replies.

But do we really see a change happening out of the thousands of replies over the years.. Not so much.

If a change is really to be made other than just people ranting on the internet then imo somebody has to go thru the all the discussions, begin to note down everybody's points that have been put across then a further discussion occurs where you see if the point is valid or not and then put them thru to the event organisers with a 'This is what the majority of Drivers have been talking about'

After the shit I'm copping from adgp this we I can officially say aus drifting has not got a hope in hell of surviving and being successful and it won't purely because of the attitude of the drivers

Won the event. Get told I paid the judges get told I'm a shit driver get told I purposely hit the other driver and get told I have a shit car. Pretty pathetic. Pretty much gauranteed me parting the car out and just driving in japan

Btw not bitching ect people can say what they like about me it's just a good insight to why drifting will fail

Edited by wanted

Won the event. Get told I paid the judges get told I'm a shit driver get told I purposely hit the other driver and get told I have a shit car. Pretty pathetic. Pretty much gauranteed me parting the car out and just driving in japan

Btw not bitching ect people can say what they like about me it's just a good insight to why drifting will fail

Isn't that a bit ironic talking about attitude of drivers? You cop some shit and makes you chuck a tantrum/part out the car. No one gives a f**k and neither should you. If you love drifting then do it for yourself not for the pleasure of some retards. I guarantee whoever talks shit aren't proper drivers.

Haha far from having a tantrum value for money is one of the reasons as I said it's just an insight on why drift will never get where it should be

The process is starting next year. As woods said give us 2 years *milkshakes* and we'll have this scene ignited!

^^^^^^ so whats happening in 2 years. I might not be the only one wondering :ph34r:

Next level dance offs!