Sign in to follow this  
pjman

Anyone into First Person View flying?

f**k all of you. Now every time I have a spare moment, I can't help but think how awesome a squad of these things would be. My wallet will never be full again >:(

Dude don't blame us, blame hobbyking.com and their insanely cheap prices.

They have a kickass powered glider with a 2m wingspan and a clear dome in the nose (for a camera) for $130 AUD shipped from their warehouse 3hrs south of Sydney.

Once i am comfortable flying the quad in FPV, i know what i will be buying next.

Planes are cool but I have had problems - mainly its my eyesight. I can't see distances well so have to wear glasses. When something goes wrong I can't take the goggles off and fly LOS as I usually can't find my glasses quick enough. With the quads its not too bad as I can just set it to a reasonable hover and go from there.

The higher end flight controllers are able to fly planes too. Put a GPS in there and set it to fly home if signal is lost.

I also wear glasses, which is why I am opting for an LCD screen rather than goggles.

I also don't intend to fly within LOS :D

Edited by Chappy

Looks f**king cool!.

This is what the fireys were using during that big arse bush fire wasnt it?

Edited by i_want_a_180

Thanks! i'll check it out later.

Wow, I was expecting a thread on Ford Performance Vehicles :lol:

Got the FPV gear on and went flying today. Overall the FPV was great but the quad was hopeless. Its running on the KK2.0 FC which I have never had any success with. Going to program up a KK 1 board and see if it flies better. Failing that I will go back to a tricopter.

You might want to edit the title of this thread a bit so that people stop turning their noses up thinking we are talking about Fords :lol:

Lasts ages on the transmitter - will get at least an hour - never flown enough to flatten it. I'm not using an OSD at the moment. I have one there but it was cheap and the resolution sucked so the updates for altitude etc were always behind. I'll get a better one one day if I am going to start flying further. For around the paddock here its not needed.

Hey how do you connect your video gear to your 1000mah battery? Do you have a UBEC or do you connect it straight to the camera and tx?

Did you have to wire up any adapters?

Wow, I was expecting a thread on Ford Performance Vehicles :lol:

Exactly what I said on the last page ! :lol:

Lasts ages on the transmitter - will get at least an hour - never flown enough to flatten it. I'm not using an OSD at the moment. I have one there but it was cheap and the resolution sucked so the updates for altitude etc were always behind. I'll get a better one one day if I am going to start flying further. For around the paddock here its not needed.

Hey how do you connect your video gear to your 1000mah battery? Do you have a UBEC or do you connect it straight to the camera and tx?

Did you have to wire up any adapters?

I just soldered it all up. The camera and the transmitter both work on a 3 cell battery. There are a few ways you could do it if you intend to move stuff around between models as well. I'll try to take a photo of the setup I have when I'm next down the shed - its nice and simple.

I just pushed through an order, had to pick off a few items that were not in stock so that it has the best chance of being dispatched before Chinese New Year.

I ordered the ground station. It's a bit of an outlay but it also eliminates the possibility of me screwing something up with a shonky soldering job :lol:

I'm gonna stick with the 850mw 900mhz camera kit and see how it goes. Worst case scenario i drop $80 on another transmitter and receiver. My main priority is for the video to penetrate water vapour..... because you know..... it gets pretty misty around my area :lol:

Yeah no worries - did you get the CP antennas? I can't stress enough how important the camera itself is. I would order one like I use above.

Nah just stock gear, hobbyking does not sell clover antennas for 900mhz. I won't be flying far to begin with, i'll need an OSD before i get serious anyway.

They make a big difference but you should be fine with the massive ones to start with

I found some cloverleafs on another site that i'll get once i am ready to start flying out of LOS.

Quick question because I am too lazy to search FPV forums myself though it is something I plan on getting into.

Is it possible to setup a quadcopter or the like to fly completely autonomously on a circuit determined by GPS, hover for set amounts of time at way points and then have it return to base once it needs a battery charge? The unit would ideally be capable of lifting a few kilos, namely some form of reasonably loud speaker and an mp3 player or whatever which would be completely independent or the copter itself. What kind of cost would be associated with a rig like this?

Here are boobs as payment for your thoughts. Cheers

boobs.jpg

^^^ for some reason, the first image that came to my head was this song being played through the speaker

• Upvote 1

There are flight controllers that do what you are talking about. A rig to do it would be very expensive though as its so much weight.

The cost will not be in the flight controller, you can get controllers that use waypoints for a little as $50 plus instruments, around $130-$150 all up (but configuring them is a pain). The big cost for you will be the lift capacity.

To lift a few kilos reliably for a long time you want an octocopter, and a big one at that.

You would probably blow about $1,000 or more before you are done.

Sounds promising. I would have a theoretical budget of around 5000.

You could by one pre made for that much.

Not FPV, but mini quads - blade nano QX or Hubsan X4 mini V2?

mate at work has the blade and it seems really good but i might get the hubsan just for something different if its an OK flyer - it is cheaper too.

I bought a similar one to practice 3rd person flying with. They are fun when flying with friends

Ordered myself one of these on the weekend:

http://hobbyking.com...idProduct=38124

Been having trouble keeping my big quad in the air because i can't keep track of which direction i am facing. I am hoping this little unit will help me practice.

Edited by Chappy

^^^ for some reason, the first image that came to my head was this song being played through the speaker

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYgnRL6A6us

Haha, that would be awesome flying around mowing down VC.

I stumbled upon the TBS Discovery while looking around on the net. Those things look cool as f**k. Would love to get one for myself one day!

Damnit!

Now i want to spend money on these, i only recently got myself a mini $30 Helicopter and have gotten pretty good at flying that around indoors, now i want to try 1 of these bad boys out.. I live in residential but so may just need to head out to some farming areas to really get it going.

I ordered my mini quad from Hobbyking.com on the 9th, it was shipped from Hong Kong on the 10th.

It arrived this morning, only one frickin week!

how did you go getting the FPV stuff together?