Sign in to follow this  
super k's

S15 6 speed rebuilt or 5 speed conversion

I use my S15 Jap Spec-R on the track for drifting as much as i can, i'v herd\read the 5 Speeds are stronger ?

Edited by super k's

good stuff! :)

yes they are. but that doesn't mean it automatically suits your needs

need more info and your question?

You herd right.

I've made mine last on the street but it's getting pretty notchy these days..

My current 6 speed is playing up, so need to do somthing about it, dont think i will get it rebuilt, was going to put a 5 speed in from a S13\14, but now Im thinking of getting the rb25 gearbox conversion done.

how about the 350z 6 speed.. ? anyone done this before..

Get a CA18 Box with an SR Bell housing, from what I've heard, better gear ratio's for sliding, though it all depends on your FInal and how much fuel you want to use.

I have done the Z33/ 350z swap - wasnt too bad. Only trouble I had was converting my dualmass replacement twin plate clutch to the older solid flywheel type - I ended up getting an S13 flywheel machined up to suit by a friend. Other than that, a pretty basic swap if you get the complete kit off Zilvia. It does require some 'massaging of the floor, and the shifter sits about 70mm further back. Let me know if you have more questions.

I've read that the ratio's aren't great.

They are the same as the S15 6 speed? Other than the different gear knob placement, and shorter throw, it feels exactly the same as standard to drive. Checked into all of thaat before I went ahead with conversion.

They are the same as the S15 6 speed? Other than the different gear knob placement, and shorter throw, it feels exactly the same as standard to drive. Checked into all of thaat before I went ahead with conversion.

thats what i thought - i read the ratios are better..generally though the z33 box is a lot tougher. also how bout the tail shaft, saw the thread on zilvia.com i know there are a couple of other bits needed?

I thought I read the manuals in 350z's played up a bit.

Is the conversion more expensive than an s13/14 box?

Conversion cost is about the same as an RB25 conversion, at a guess. Some of the earlier gearboxes had a few dramas - noisy etc, I ended up with one of these, cause it came at the right price ($500) - it is a little bit noisey, but not a daily, so I am not too fussed. If I ever have dramas with this box tho, a brand new late model box can be landed for about 2k, with will take my shortened bell housing, and be a straight swap.

I ended up just getting the front half of the stock S15 tailshaft modded with a Z33 yoke - I had to get it with the box, Hardy spicer couldnt match :/

Other than that it was all pretty easy, notched the shifter hole backward, remove bell housing and machine 12mm off the bell housing face, a very slight massage of the tunnel, and it was all good to go.

It is a very tight fit in the tunnel around the area under the CD player, there is a brace I had to 'mould' slightly :P I would recommend a poly gearbox mount too - mine just touches on a high rev, harsh down shift

I had to modify my Hi mount exh and gate plumb back pipes slightly to fit the extra width (should be fine on most cars, who ever made mine tucked it hard against the eng/box. The other thing I did, was get a stock S13 flywheel machined and doweled to take my ORC twin plate clutch, as you cant buy flywheels separate to suit, was alot cheaper for me than selling and buying an S13/14 item, due to contacts I have. Because of this, I had to extend my TOB carrier to allow proper clutch release, this isnt a problem if you use an S13/14 specific clutch.

Any other questions, post up, will try and help

Stephanie

What type of massager was used? How many eggs do you need for the yoke?

Never mind, if mine breaks I'll just get the 5 speed. I think I preferred the taller gears in my 180.

I have driven an S15 with 5 speed and stock diff - I hated the ratios, and for the driving I like - tight twisties and tracks, with long cruises as well, it was a better option for me. Plus I have seen plenty of smashed S series 5 speeds - if i was going to go 5 speed, it would be Z32/RB25 + a diff swap = not worth it in my books. The only thing I dont like about it is the cheap short shifter I got - it rattles lol.

Stephanie