Sign in to follow this  
K-man

What cheaper amp should I get?

So I have my Jackson Flying V guitar and I play it without amp im my bedroom. I used to own this shitty no brand amp, but it was so bad I prefered not using it. Now thats getting boring.

I live in a unit, so Im not after volume, but rather a still powerful enough, great sounding amp, preferably with the ability to crunch some great metal overdrive, but also at a great price.

What lower end (price) amp to we reccommend?

Mate, Blackstar.

I have had more amps than I care to remember, spent a ton of money trying to find 'the' sound in my head. Ironically the Blackstar HT5R combo I have now is the cheapest (~$550) amp I've had in a while but it f**king nails what I am after.

5w all tube, foot switchable (2 channel), reverb, decent clean & f**king 10" penis level gain stage. It is that big. I play blues/rock ala Joe Bonamassa, Gunners etc and classic metal ala Iron Maiden, Ozzy, Megadeth etc. covers these genres easily, probably has more than enough gain for modern stuff also.

Check it out online for the full specs and hit EBay/Gumtree to try and find a second and unit (if $500 is above where you want to be).

Depends what sound you're looking for. If you want solid state, I recommend the Vox pathfinder. Mad little jam amp. If going tube, you have stacks of choice in the ~$500 range, especially if you go used. Personally I play blues and a bit of doomesque experimental stuff, and I run an Epi valve senior clean through a couple of pedals. Awesome tone, super versatile and I only spent about $400 on the amp off eBay. It's how I'd recommend going for bang>buck.

cool, good to know.

What are the differences between solid state and tube?

and yeah, definitly will be looking for under $500

I got a roland cube 40w for bit less than $400 new. has pretty heavy distortion modes and also a 'power squeezer' mode which tightens the sound right up when playing at low volume and sounds really crisp. has a whole heap of features and effects built in which u may or may not be looking for but its under $500 new and good thick gain. they have a smaller 20w amp aswell.

Didn't think of the cube, had one also and it was great.

Not even going to attempt an explanation of the differences between tube and solid state amps; there are far too many well written examples online - google it!

I prefer tube amps; warm, rounded and better dynamics - the draw back (for bedroom playing) is that most if not all tube amps sound best when cranked. My little 5w tube amp easily pushes the limits of comfortable noise in a large open plan lounge-room.

Worth noting output (sheer volume) from a tube amp is far more than the same watt solid state alternative. I don't know the exact comparison but I'd hazard a guess and say that a 20w tube amp would be as loud as a 100w solid state. For bedroom playing, I wouldn't go any higher than 5w (tube).

tube definitely has a better sound. of all the heavy metal guitarists ive heard only dimebag played a solid state and i think his sound had way too much gain and lost sound quality.

If i played my guitar more often i would easily pay the extra cash and get a 5-10w tube amp.