Sign in to follow this  
------ S-Tune ------

Are there any Audiophiles on here?

Hey alll

not sure if this is the right section but im after some advice if theres any audiophiles on here.

Im making a new theater setup and need some speaker advice on whats a good brand these days.

I know to stay away from anything JB HiFi try's to sell you. The speakers im looking at getting are the new Martin Logan Motion 40's, Motion 8 center speaker and motion 4's for the rear. i was going to go with the electrostatic speakers but been told there for large rooms only. i also have connections with Dynaduio but i beleave there out of my price range.

Audiophile - Yes.

Know anything about home theatre systems - no.

Sorry bud, It's all outdoor sound from me :lol:

However.. I have never heard or any reason why electrostatic speakers should only be used in large rooms. Doesn't make sense to me.

Edited by Shark

Audiophile - Yes. Know anything about home theatre systems - no. Sorry bud, It's all outdoor sound from me :lol: However.. I have never heard or any reason why electrostatic speakers should only be used in large rooms. Doesn't make sense to me.

Yeh i was talking to a Martin logan rep the other day and he said that they cant be put up agents a wall other wise you lose alot of its quality. they don't need to be in a large room they just cant be flush up against a wall so in other words if ya got a small room thenits not a choice for you. i have herd them and they are amazing but agen it was in a large room.

Edited by ------ S-Tune ------

My suggestion - treat the potential room first.

Bad speakers sound better in a good environment, dope speakers will be mind blowing.

Set up all the acoustic treatment properly first if you're serious, then floss out on gear that makes noise and shit.

Can't stand the word audiophile... Sounds so stupid haha.

"oldmanscar" on here is pretty into his audio from what I've seen.

Are you a member over on SNA?

SNA who are they? are they a audio enthusiast group.

I also have never liked the name "audiophile" ether sounds too much like pedophile lol

Also with setting room up this isent going to be a theater room or anything. But i know what your on about there, setting up your acoustics and all but im not going that far. i'm just after a good set of speakers and not getting riped off at the same time.

Agen if it was going into a dedicated theater room then yeh id put the effort in sound insulation, but being a rental property dont think im going that far.

Yeah SNA is where you want to be (stereo.net.au)

Have heard the Martin Logan Source (iirc) in a tiny hotel room and they did alright. But the general rule with ESL's is about 1 metre all round (side wall and back wall)

The Motion 40 is not an ESL and as such shouldnt have too many problems with placement.. 1 metre from back wall to front baffle is still a good rule to live by. Not knowing the RRP of the Motion 40, i couldnt offer you an alternative.

Another point ill make is GIGO - garbage in, garbage out. Be careful with good equipment and shit music - you may not be happy with the result. I was nearly turned off metal until i went out and actually bought albums and vinyl

I've got Klipsch speakers.

Bought an F30 pack with added bookshelf speakers making it a 7.1

Seems to be really good once i got a half decent amp. When I move into my new place I'll move these into one room and look into getting the the RF-7 II

yeh metal isent well known as its clarity as much as classical. Although there is alot of well produced metal albums inducing the audio DVD copy of Metallica's black album. But its mainly going to be set up for theater and gaming. so sound representation is what im after.

Also if there's anything anyone can say about THX it be good. Im not fully sure what THX is for. i know what its about and all but like some of the best speakers are not THX certified so its got nothing to do with being the best and all. iv been told THX is relay just a frequency perimeter that meet THX rules something to do with 160hrz? agen im not full sure what THX is all about. some of the worst speakers even have THX certification so im not relay worried about it.

But back to the Martin logan's, im not interested in the electro statics, im more interested in there motion 40 series being that i have some one who can get me a decent price on em and iv only heard good things about em, also they look awsem. Other brands i was looking at was Dynaudio.

But yeh any information is great

THX isnt something I'd worry about. I have a THX certified Rotel amp and its the worst one i own. Its a set of specs that manufacturers submit products to so they can get the certification. Its costs the manufacturer money, and im sure this is passed on in the asking price. Some components may meet and exceed the specs, but because they never submitted for testing then they dont get the badge. It really is irrelevant.

Martin Logan are known for their ESL's so when they make another type it immediately screams to me 'cash grab' and if you look at the RRP of it, it doesnt appear to be inline with the rest of their range. Dynaudio on the other hand make excellent box speakers and are well regarded in that field. Having not heard the Martin Logans i cant comment, ill ask the question on SNA. They do have a rear firing bass port so it would be highly recommended that you have them a fair way off the wall, like 1m. If space is small than a front firing tower or even standmount may work better.

There are tonnes of things to consider, Room (as mentioned above) dimensions and coverings, music you listen to, music format, amplifier. The Logans are pretty sensitive at 92db so you wouldnt need much of an amp to get some decent volume levels. Depends whether you want a quick solution cause youve got a good price, or whether you want to actually have nice speakers for music reporduction

If you can stretch to Dynaudios i think youll be happier in the long run. But if youre on a budget then you could do far worse than the Martin Logans, i reckon with HT and Gaming, you wont pickup any great differences and if their cheap, then go for it

Yeh im not too worried about THX certified speakers.

The Room and the space I'm working with relay don't help me out, that's why i want a speaker set up that can do a good job no matter what position its in and what distance you are away from it. Also it has to be at a reasonable size, hence why i was interested in the Martin Logan Motion 40's. There a good size, not too big not too small. But biggest challenge I'm facing is the center speaker, it has to be at a small size and do a good job if i was center meters away, or meters away. The Martin Logan Motion 6 and 8 center speaker is a perfect size and is voice matched to the Motion 40's.

2nv4jn4.jpg

In some way the center speaker is defining what sort of system I'm going to need.

Here's a few pic of my set up to show you what I'm working with.

3478ciw.jpg

io3sye.jpg

zm019w.jpg

I'm running a Tannoy FX set at the moment, still annihilates any PC set you can buy but i want something with allot more power and base behind em so, I'm not relying on the sub as much.

As you can see i have very little room to play with.

I am moving into a new place but the center speaker is still going to be the same amount of space.

That listening space is pretty awkward to get good sound. I think Dynaudios would be wasted in there.

Ive been doing some reading on the Motion range, its not bad stuff and will definitely be a step up from what you have

If you gave me a number ($) i could recommend something else? Although, again, one mans trash is anothers treasure

Yeh I totally agree with you that Dynaudios would be a waste, like having a Bugatti but only using it to go down the street to get the milk.

Martin Logan Motion 40's are gonna be around $2500 or for the pair which isn't too bad, and the Motion 8 center for about $400, so if i was gonna go for this set up then the rears id chose the Motion LX16's.

As for a Sub system not sure yet, I might wait out and see how it all sounds and go from there. But i realy have my eye on one of those JL Audio Fathom Subs

9va3vr.jpg289zcko.jpg

So all up probably be looking around $5000.

At lest this set up can be some what Future proof being it can be used for pretty much any setup i can have, being current or into a normal living room.

Think of it being a PC/HT kit on steroids.

It's the proximity to the speakers that concerns me; getting a balanced sound that close is going to be difficult!

Yeh defently.

One reason iv chosen the Martin Logan's,they where percificly designed for the intention of being in small rooms. Same with the Tannoy FX 5.1 set I currently have and they are perfect for being an up front speaker. If I was to chose the Dynaudio's with there X22 center speaker it might not be appropriate due to the fact it's not designed for small space intentions. So I'd think it would we a waste to be an upfront speaker.