Sign in to follow this  
Iron Chef

Tectaloy International Drift Challenge - discussion thread

In an effort to ensure a better layout is used next year how about all invited drivers just say thanks, but no thanks if it's the same corners. I joked that Aussie drifting would be seen as a drag race into a rolling burnout...... America! f**k YEAH!

Lol, I had a mate with me that had never been to a drift comp and that's what he thought it was all about.

just out of interest, is there a reason the event is run when it is, is it just an availability thing, weather etc etc?

just out of interest, is there a reason the event is run when it is, is it just an availability thing, weather etc etc?

I read its because its the best time of year for weather in sydney. not too hot and not too cold :lol:

Kristian if you were organising this for half the year then how come the judges assistant Chloe didnt get the rules and regs for the comp till Friday night even though she was asking before hand?

I dont know but to me that did not look like half a years worth of preparation....

Glad to hear the Team Orange guys are keen to come back!

Whats Eastern Creeks deal? I was told the only reason they got funding for that new section is because they said it was for drifting?

Its funny because from EC's actions i take it that they probably see drifting as some no good fad where no real money can be made (so we will charge them through the roof and try scare them off), yet if they treated it right they would be raking in more money than they are now.

Dumbs gonna dumb

I just quickly quizzed Ian about it, the idea of moving it later IS being discussed, but we just need to be careful that it's not clashing with the eleventybillion other events that occur in spring (northern hemisphere's autumn).

I feel you pain Kristian when it comes to being forced to work with a particular club or officials. This is why we avoid it as much as we can with ADGP.

And yes, comparing Calder to Eastern Creek is impossible. We looked at EC, and other than it being way too expensive and booked out, we also realised it is a logistical nightmare to run compared to some other tracks and they are difficult when it comes to how you can run your event and who you can use.

ADGP are willing to talk about helping with the event in 2013? Just throwing it out there.

It'd never happen, but even running the current layout in reverse would be kinda cool

this i want to see, this would put the entry right next to the bulk of the crowd.

one thing ill mention, is from what i understand drivers were judged in their qualifying battles with a relative score, ie 5-5, 6-4, 7-3, 8-2, 9-1, 10-0. if so this needs to be ditched, it's a flawed system, with any qualifying run, whether it's solo or battles, it needs to have a absolute individual score used, ie 2 really good drivers both smash out both a good lead and chase lap, a 9-9 or so, if both drivers have average runs but one is slightly better, 4-5, if there's a bye or spin, then the driver who does still end up completing the course gets judged on their lap, not an automatic 10. when the battle qualifying came to SA we ran the existing format, we had some very odd results due to bye's, spins and pairings, soon as we changed systems it was day and night.

i'm only going on what i've heard, so if this isn't the system then so be it, but if it is it needs to be reviewed.

Yeah we picked up on that one once we started judging the random battles, and that was the solution we came up with, or just score the chase runs. The idea behind the random battles was to allow people to battle other competitors they may not otherwise come up against in the main comp, and to get a better mix of skills rather than just using solo runs to determine the qualifying order. It was a new idea we thought people might like, but like most new things, it needs some kinks ironed out.

The wildcard format somehow didn't get written into this year's regs too (the switch from CAMS to AASA actually made a lot of the regs changes fairly tricky), that will definitely be back again next year.

Eastern Creek have said absolutely no drifting on any of the new sections of track, which is fairly heartbreaking. Let's hope they change their minds in the future.

I know you guys will mostly disagree, but having spent the best part of a year organising the event, and worked 2x16 hour days in freezing cold conditions during the event itself, I had an absolute ball watching the guys compete out there. We have some serious talent in Australia, and the Team Orange guys repeatedly made that point having seen what some guys are doing. Suenaga has offered to take Tony Harrison under his wing at Ebisu for a week and just do tandems all day long, which is a brilliant opportunity for Harrison.

One thing we've come to realise is that each country has its own style, not just in the driving, but also in terms of expectations from judges and how they are briefed. It makes for interesting times for us. It was great having Justin Rood and Tarzan judging, even allowing for cultural differences, we all saw the battles pretty much the same way in terms of scores.

Simon, I'm not sure who told you Team Orange said it was the worst event they'd attended - Suenaga was over the moon to take the win, and they're dead keen to come back again next year, so they can't have hated it too much. I had a good chat with the Team Orange guys at the after party, they had some good advice which I'll be taking on board.

The TIDC staff are not stupid - of course we understand that some big improvements need to be made with the event, especially with down time. As I write this, we're going through some serious soul-searching to try and find ways to make it better, but the problem is some factors are (and have been) beyond our control when it comes to running events at Eastern Creek. Comparing an ADGP event at Calder to the TIDC is pointless, as is comparing practice days to an event. The ARDC have their ways of doing things, and we have to work with them if there's to be a drift event there at all. (I'm in no way saying ARDC are solely to blame for this, btw)

As disappointed as I know some of you guys are, we have been equally disappointed at the way some competitors and other people in their camps have chosen to handle themselves throughout the course of the weekend. To put it bluntly, the Kiwis and the Japanese shit all over us in terms of professionalism, as a general rule.

it was mentioned on the sat, before the top 16. sounds like their opinion has changed since haha

its good that they gave some feed back. i would be listening very closely to what they have to say.

Kristian if you were organising this for half the year then how come the judges assistant Chloe didnt get the rules and regs for the comp till Friday night even though she was asking before hand?

I dont know but to me that did not look like half a years worth of preparation....

Glad to hear the Team Orange guys are keen to come back!

Whats Eastern Creeks deal? I was told the only reason they got funding for that new section is because they said it was for drifting?

Its funny because from EC's actions i take it that they probably see drifting as some no good fad where no real money can be made (so we will charge them through the roof and try scare them off), yet if they treated it right they would be raking in more money than they are now.

Dumbs gonna dumb

Chloe did a fantastic job helping us out and I for one would love to have her back doing that job again next year. I didn't know she was chasing the regs until you just mentioned it, so I apologise on behalf of the other guys if she got them late. To be honest though, given that her role was entering data and communicating with the tower, I'm not entirely sure why she would have needed them for that job, but that obviously doesn't excuse things.

There are plenty of things to discuss with ARDC - there has always traditionally been a fairly strong anti-drift movement there, but the new guy in charge is apparently much easier to work with.

I think part of the problem with the ARDC is that they approach things with a grip-racer's mentality - a classic case is that, in preparation for V8 Supercars, they replaced the sand on the outside of the corner with 15mm aggregate gravel. Great for stopping track cars heading off the track, but woeful for drifters who run wide and scatter stones on to the track, smashing windscreens and all sorts of other stuff.

The big issue for the new section of track is that drifting shreds the edges of the track - I suspect that at some stage, they may well open it up, but given you could probably count on one hand the number of events held on the new section, I doubt they're going to let us out to destroy it any time soon.

yeah i dont remember the gravel being there last year.. its way too dangerous really.

easy to say dont go off the track. but people push hard and it happens

I dunno about the professionalism of other countries. Gaz whiter just came on the mic and told the whole hill how we (aus) just come here to drag race and not put on a show after I thought he was beaten convincingly in the first battle. Not to mention his car with toyo stickers all over It running achillies 123s. I thought his little whinge was the opposite of professional from a guy who is an international drift star.

"The wildcard format somehow didn't get written into this year's regs too (the switch from CAMS to AASA actually made a lot of the regs changes fairly tricky), that will definitely be back again next year."

It was a great event & with some fine tuning it will awesome for every one. I was gutted by the wild card format not in place. We had a engine failure & could have been sorted on Friday night to compete in the "Best of the rest" if we had the opertunity to get back into the top 16. To spend thousands of dollars to just compete in the "best of the rest" just wasnt viable.

Top 10 automaticly to the top 16 because lets face it they deserve it. Then the best of the rest to fight for the final 6 spots & everyone gets their moneys worth for making the trip & costs associated with it.

Cant belive in 3 years of Drifting for Nick, we have never had to pull out before the main game & the 1 time we have to its at the biggest Drift event we have ever entered :(

I just quickly quizzed Ian about it, the idea of moving it later IS being discussed, but we just need to be careful that it's not clashing with the eleventybillion other events that occur in spring (northern hemisphere's autumn).

You could hold it anytime of the year and the absolute opposite conditions could develop as opposed to what you would expect from the particular season.

If it wasn't for the wind it would have been fine, but the same wind could belt through during summer for example.

Who cares, a few thousand stuck it out anyway.

Because race car.

I feel you pain Kristian when it comes to being forced to work with a particular club or officials. This is why we avoid it as much as we can with ADGP. And yes, comparing Calder to Eastern Creek is impossible. We looked at EC, and other than it being way too expensive and booked out, we also realised it is a logistical nightmare to run compared to some other tracks and they are difficult when it comes to how you can run your event and who you can use. ADGP are willing to talk about helping with the event in 2013? Just throwing it out there.

Will the WTAC dvd have the drift coverage too Andrew?

That prepay thing you guys were running was great too, saved me having to chase up the release date and then finding a place near me that sell 'em...Thanks.

Will the WTAC dvd have the drift coverage too Andrew?

Good luck getting good photos or video on that track under those lights at night. That reason alone was enough to not bother filming it.

doesnt look promising

Edited by green_pea

It'd never happen, but even running the current layout in reverse would be kinda cool

this i want to see, this would put the entry right next to the bulk of the crowd.

one thing ill mention, is from what i understand drivers were judged in their qualifying battles with a relative score, ie 5-5, 6-4, 7-3, 8-2, 9-1, 10-0. if so this needs to be ditched, it's a flawed system, with any qualifying run, whether it's solo or battles, it needs to have a absolute individual score used, ie 2 really good drivers both smash out both a good lead and chase lap, a 9-9 or so, if both drivers have average runs but one is slightly better, 4-5, if there's a bye or spin, then the driver who does still end up completing the course gets judged on their lap, not an automatic 10. when the battle qualifying came to SA we ran the existing format, we had some very odd results due to bye's, spins and pairings, soon as we changed systems it was day and night.

i'm only going on what i've heard, so if this isn't the system then so be it, but if it is it needs to be reviewed.

Yeah we picked up on that one once we started judging the random battles, and that was the solution we came up with, or just score the chase runs. The idea behind the random battles was to allow people to battle other competitors they may not otherwise come up against in the main comp, and to get a better mix of skills rather than just using solo runs to determine the qualifying order. It was a new idea we thought people might like, but like most new things, it needs some kinks ironed out.

The wildcard format somehow didn't get written into this year's regs too (the switch from CAMS to AASA actually made a lot of the regs changes fairly tricky), that will definitely be back again next year.

Eastern Creek have said absolutely no drifting on any of the new sections of track, which is fairly heartbreaking. Let's hope they change their minds in the future.

I know you guys will mostly disagree, but having spent the best part of a year organising the event, and worked 2x16 hour days in freezing cold conditions during the event itself, I had an absolute ball watching the guys compete out there. We have some serious talent in Australia, and the Team Orange guys repeatedly made that point having seen what some guys are doing. Suenaga has offered to take Tony Harrison under his wing at Ebisu for a week and just do tandems all day long, which is a brilliant opportunity for Harrison.

One thing we've come to realise is that each country has its own style, not just in the driving, but also in terms of expectations from judges and how they are briefed. It makes for interesting times for us. It was great having Justin Rood and Tarzan judging, even allowing for cultural differences, we all saw the battles pretty much the same way in terms of scores.

Simon, I'm not sure who told you Team Orange said it was the worst event they'd attended - Suenaga was over the moon to take the win, and they're dead keen to come back again next year, so they can't have hated it too much. I had a good chat with the Team Orange guys at the after party, they had some good advice which I'll be taking on board.

The TIDC staff are not stupid - of course we understand that some big improvements need to be made with the event, especially with down time. As I write this, we're going through some serious soul-searching to try and find ways to make it better, but the problem is some factors are (and have been) beyond our control when it comes to running events at Eastern Creek. Comparing an ADGP event at Calder to the TIDC is pointless, as is comparing practice days to an event. The ARDC have their ways of doing things, and we have to work with them if there's to be a drift event there at all. (I'm in no way saying ARDC are solely to blame for this, btw)

As disappointed as I know some of you guys are, we have been equally disappointed at the way some competitors and other people in their camps have chosen to handle themselves throughout the course of the weekend. To put it bluntly, the Kiwis and the Japanese shit all over us in terms of professionalism, as a general rule.

Thats horse shit, why cant we compare a well run event to a poorly run event?

Lets try this mentality, if drifting was dropped and gates closed at 5:30 how many spectators would the event lose? i sure as f**k didnt spend 1 minute all weekend in the grandstand, i ventured to the roof if i heard nemo or advan 34 was on track so i could have a quick listen and that was it. Im sure there was plenty more.

Say 500 people didnt show because of no drifting, thats $35,000 that the event loses in spectators fee's! Are ARDC that tight up they would just say f**k it and take the loss?

With the right people on board (COUGH ADGP COUGH) there is no reason the event couldnt be run smoothly and become twice as big!

Two other things annoying the shit out of me, i didnt get to look at one time attack car up close all weekend which bummed me. I love the engineering side of these things, even getting ideas for my own car. I thought that was shitty. Got to check out every single drift car up close tho....

And is there reason no FD drivers were present? is there no interest from them or no invites sent?

Hi everyone,

I have heard there is a lot of talk on these public forums so I thought best to respond quickly so all the facts are out there.

I have been looking into as much info and insights I have been able to get from all different parties including drivers, spectators, judges, commentators and track officials to see what was the cause of the problems we had during the event. The predominant issue seems to be the down time. Which I can completely understand would be frustrating for a spectator sitting in the freezing cold and wind during the night time.

Now from my side of things everything was set ready to go and plans in place for the event to run smoothly and better than ever before. During the event I took on the role of running the pits and with the help of a very competent Chris Jones, we did a great job of having all cars gridded up ready to lined up at pit exit. The tough blow that we copped was that I was relying on officials that I have used for many years who have run local, state and national level events with me for years and years, now all the drivers and do a great job with drifting events, these key officials pulled out on me on Friday morning. This was a tough thing to deal with and given the restricted time Jeff Boulous did as good a job as possible to replace the officials but it's not the event we want to be introducing these officials to procedures at but left without a choice the best possible was undertaken. 

A big complaint last year was not enough entertainment for the crowd, so this year we changed the format to better meet that requirement, and from the looks of things, those changes weren't what we will stick to, not to say we will go back to the old way we'll just try something different, better and make sure it is implemented strongly. 

In regards to officials, I will defiantly be talking to Yoshi as he does an amazing job and when I was working with ADGP I bought him in for the first event as I knew it would not work without him. I'm glad ADGP have maintained that relationship with Yoshi as he is a key component, the reason I didn't use him for this event was I wanted him to be able to enjoy this type of thing for Once and I was confident that the officials I had lined up would have it all under control. Them not being there threw us right off track and I now need to be more controlling over who I use. I trust Yoshi 100% and know he would be a valuable addition to my team. 

Aside from the above, this level of event is not one where these problems should cause the issues we had and I take full responsibility for all and am working hard to get to the root of the problems and ensure that the system and event is bullet proof for the future. I put trust and responsibility where maybe I should not have and now know I need to take some of that back and build a stronger foundation. 

It is disappointing to see some of the comments made but this is what we need to deal with in this industry and I will do so in order to build and grow the event. I have been working hard on WTAC as a whole and the event as a whole was a HUGE success! And by huge I mean massive! I can't wait for the future to unveil what we have in store. It seems that some aren't focusing on the success of the event and purely the few issues we faced. As I have gathered from all, the down time was much less than last year, but I do understand from a spectators point of view that in type of weather 3 minutes seems like 23!! 

The track clean-ups are 100%  necessary for the safety of the drivers, ok I agree maybe not to the extent that ARDC took it at times but still, necessary. 

I have some fantastic ideas and concepts I want to work on for next year and I ensure the drift community that we will never face these problems again. I apologise for frustrations you may feel and promise to work my hardest to ensure you can have an event to be proud of and continue to return to next year.

Team Orange were amazing to have over here and despite some comments that have been made by others they were very happy and can't wait to return next year! 

The NZ boys have been fantastic and I really enjoyed working with them all! 

The Aussie drivers, I have been calling all to make sure I have a full comprehension of issues, feedback, concerns so I can completely understand the situation and deal with what needs to be dealt with appropriately. 

Myself and the WTAC work very very hard to make this event the only one of it's kind and apart from the issues with the drift comp we have been flooded with compliments and are very happy with the success we have achieved.

I'm on here because I want to work with you guys, and the drift community means a lot to me. Anyone who knows me, my father of knew my brother truly does know I'm connected to the drift scene through heart and soul. So that's why I'm here to help. I want to see this go ahead next year and again year after year. But we need to remember if it's not working for whatever reason or does not get the support from the community there's no reason why a promoter would continue it, I DO NOT want to see that happen. So please guys, let's have a think about the bigger picture and try focus on the positives. Obviously there are negatives that need attending and I am working tirelessly to do that believe me.  

I am happy to answer any questions any of you may have, please email them through to me at amy@superlap.com.au. I apologise not being able to comment on all on here and can attend to emails ASAP. 

Regards,

Amy Boatwright

i don't think anyone really wants to hear reasons of why there was bad organisation, we want to know exactly where the weak points of the organisation were, what was holding up the cars being released soon after the previous run? i have never been to any comp where there was a legitimate reason for that kind of consistent delay.

Also, letting cars out during the first practice on the Friday night without headlights... Cole Armstrong in a borrowed car without headlights 2 years running, LOL.

Thankfully it was realised and amended with some form of lighting, but seriously after last years efforts this should be mandatory and is a CAMS requirement... I would assume it would also be a AASA one too.

There wasn't bad organisation, everything was organized, planned and ready to go. It was the execution that was the problem. The cars not being formed and gridded at the start line I believe was the route cause of the delay, if they were the delays would not have been there. I was not informed that they weren't and neither was I informed of the delays until after the event so couldn't act on it on the night, and my track officials did not act on it when they should have, so there is the problem of communication there which will be fixed.

My explanation of all above is so everyone knows the facts, I'm not providing reasons or excuses. Just trying to do what's right by the community and answer any questions they may have.

Spiteful and uneducated comments only push us backwards, my hope is we can all work together. I saw this because I care about the community and want it to stay apart of this event. At the end of the day it's a major event and will go ahead with or without the drift element. But I want to see it with and see it be successful, so to do that I need to correct problems we face

I dunno about the professionalism of other countries. Gaz whiter just came on the mic and told the whole hill how we (aus) just come here to drag race and not put on a show after I thought he was beaten convincingly in the first battle. Not to mention his car with toyo stickers all over It running achillies 123s. I thought his little whinge was the opposite of professional from a guy who is an international drift star.

I never said they were ALL that way, but as a general rule they are much better than us. Given the Kiwis had a poor showing overall this year, I was super impressed by the way they handled themselves and took it on the chin. Gaz was understandably upset by his loss, that's fairly normal - what he probably didn't realise at the time was that he lost for factors other than the drag race at the start, which we made a conscious effort to ignore in terms of losing points on that particular battle. Two (Australian) competitors were especially bad for it and were told during the night that if they did it again, I was going to DQ them. Having said that, ALL drivers were given the option of pulling out and re-starting the run if they thought they were too far back.

Gaz was meant to be running Toyo R1Rs this year, but with the CTS/Toyo deal falling apart while his car was already on the boat heading for Australia, Gaz was left with no tyres to compete with and had to get the Achilles at short notice. So you guys bagging him for it can stop playing the conspiracy theory card.

Lets try this mentality, if drifting was dropped and gates closed at 5:30 how many spectators would the event lose? i sure as f**k didnt spend 1 minute all weekend in the grandstand, i ventured to the roof if i heard nemo or advan 34 was on track so i could have a quick listen and that was it. Im sure there was plenty more.

Say 500 people didnt show because of no drifting, thats $35,000 that the event loses in spectators fee's! Are ARDC that tight up they would just say f**k it and take the loss?

With the right people on board (COUGH ADGP COUGH) there is no reason the event couldnt be run smoothly and become twice as big!

Two other things annoying the shit out of me, i didnt get to look at one time attack car up close all weekend which bummed me. I love the engineering side of these things, even getting ideas for my own car. I thought that was shitty. Got to check out every single drift car up close tho....

And is there reason no FD drivers were present? is there no interest from them or no invites sent?

In reverse order, there were a couple of US drivers approached but they wanted plenty of money to attend, and I think there was a date clash with one of their events too. Bear in mind that the driver is there for the weekend, but the car is out of action for four months on a boat if they want to bring their own over.

The pit garages themselves were closed this year a) for safety reasons and B) because idiots ruined it by souveniring parts from garages.

And the reason you can't compare ADGP at Calder to TIDC at Eastern Creek is that, like Andrew himself has said in this thread, every track is different, every track owner is different, and every track's expectations are different. Eastern Creek are especially protective of their track, to the point that, unlike every other track I know of in Australia, they provide their own track staff who seem to operate completely independently of the event management. The only criticism I'll make on the matter is that ARDC staff's first priority is to maintaining the good condition of the track, not to the smooth running of the event being held, and they often appear to derive joy from letting people know who's boss.

As for losing $35K in spectator's fees, there's no easy way to pluck a set figure out of the air because we don't know how many people would not come without the drifting there. Most come to see both. Sorry to be blunt but either way $35K's not a piss in the ocean when it comes to covering the costs of actually running that part of the event. Using those figures would be a good way to see the event canned all together.

I never said they were ALL that way, but as a general rule they are much better than us. Given the Kiwis had a poor showing overall this year, I was super impressed by the way they handled themselves and took it on the chin. Gaz was understandably upset by his loss, that's fairly normal - what he probably didn't realise at the time was that he lost for factors other than the drag race at the start, which we made a conscious effort to ignore in terms of losing points on that particular battle. Two (Australian) competitors were especially bad for it and were told during the night that if they did it again, I was going to DQ them. Having said that, ALL drivers were given the option of pulling out and re-starting the run if they thought they were too far back.

Gaz was meant to be running Toyo R1Rs this year, but with the CTS/Toyo deal falling apart while his car was already on the boat heading for Australia, Gaz was left with no tyres to compete with and had to get the Achilles at short notice. So you guys bagging him for it can stop playing the conspiracy theory card.

In reverse order, there were a couple of US drivers approached but they wanted plenty of money to attend, and I think there was a date clash with one of their events too. Bear in mind that the driver is there for the weekend, but the car is out of action for four months on a boat if they want to bring their own over.

The pit garages themselves were closed this year a) for safety reasons and B) because idiots ruined it by souveniring parts from garages.

And the reason you can't compare ADGP at Calder to TIDC at Eastern Creek is that, like Andrew himself has said in this thread, every track is different, every track owner is different, and every track's expectations are different. Eastern Creek are especially protective of their track, to the point that, unlike every other track I know of in Australia, they provide their own track staff who seem to operate completely independently of the event management. The only criticism I'll make on the matter is that ARDC staff's first priority is to maintaining the good condition of the track, not to the smooth running of the event being held, and they often appear to derive joy from letting people know who's boss.

As for losing $35K in spectator's fees, there's no easy way to pluck a set figure out of the air because we don't know how many people would not come without the drifting there. Most come to see both. Sorry to be blunt but either way $35K's not a piss in the ocean when it comes to covering the costs of actually running that part of the event. Using those figures would be a good way to see the event canned all together.

Thankyou for answering all questions, i simply pulled 500 people at $70 as an A-Z guesstimate of drift fans from the hill

I emailed you Amy :)

There wasn't bad organisation, everything was organized, planned and ready to go. It was the execution that was the problem. The cars not being formed and gridded at the start line I believe was the route cause of the delay, if they were the delays would not have been there. I was not informed that they weren't and neither was I informed of the delays until after the event so couldn't act on it on the night, and my track officials did not act on it when they should have, so there is the problem of communication there which will be fixed.

My explanation of all above is so everyone knows the facts, I'm not providing reasons or excuses. Just trying to do what's right by the community and answer any questions they may have.

Spiteful and uneducated comments only push us backwards, my hope is we can all work together. I saw this because I care about the community and want it to stay apart of this event. At the end of the day it's a major event and will go ahead with or without the drift element. But I want to see it with and see it be successful, so to do that I need to correct problems we face

so you're telling me that the reason why every run had such a large gap, was because the drivers weren't formed up there, even though we could clearly see many headlights on the grid?

we are trying to understand exactly where the delay was, maybe we can provide some insight, there are a lot of people on here who have been involved in events in the past, a lot which have run extremely smoothly, so maybe it's worth sharing some of the nitty gritty details and we can provide some feedback.

so far you haven't told us anything except try and palm the responsibility off onto those who aren't here to respond, this may be the case, it may be all their fault, but it's hardly constructive. end of the day, telling us who is at fault is irrelevant, we want to know why it occurred.

Suggestion:

If there is downtime do something to pass the time that actively involves the crowd. For example work out a deal with a few teams, sponsors, etc for the purchase of some t-shirts (before the event) and have them fired into the crowd via gas cannons or handed out by known drivers that have been knocked out of the comp. People love free stuff, especially when it's brass-monkeys cold and there's unacceptable delays between runs.

Suggestion:

If there is downtime do something to pass the time that actively involves the crowd. For example work out a deal with a few teams, sponsors, etc for the purchase of some t-shirts (before the event) and have them fired into the crowd via gas cannons or handed out by known drivers that have been knocked out of the comp. People love free stuff, especially when it's brass-monkeys cold and there's unacceptable delays between runs.

Great suggestion

Get the crowd familiar with the exhibitors aswell as fill in the downtime

I think a bit of atmosphere in the crowd was missing This should be taken onboard

I hope the comments in this thread are taken as opportunities to fix what was seen from the other side of the fence rather than a bunch of whiny cheap skates. Yes the event is a blessing to have, yes most of the people involved did their best to make it run well, but yes there are things that didn't go to plan and things that just were not planned or maybe managed well. These are the things to be worked on. Nobody goes to the doctor to tell them about what is ok, they only mention whats wrong because that's what they want fixed or managed better. The event was great but could have been so much better and that's what we all should be focusing on.

With the "drag racing" off the line. Are the people that do this slowing before they initiate? Or are they accelerating as fast as they can then initiating at full speed?

With the "drag racing" off the line. Are the people that do this slowing before they initiate? Or are they accelerating as fast as they can then initiating at full speed?

yeah this is something that confuses me also, if from the start point to the corner you are able to be full throttle all the way in and the car behind you cant/doesnt match your speed, what happens there? its understandable if its a big run up into the first corner where u have no problem reaching entry speed while letting the chase car stick with you.

The sport was born on Japanese politeness. The two cars are expected to stay together, regardless of potential power/speed difference.

It doesn't happen here because everyone's a sickcunt who thinks they can win the battle the moment they let the clutch out.