Sign in to follow this  
SL33PR

Street/daily tyre reviews

That could work..just a matter of people knowing/remembering what they paid for the tyre as well

Has anyone tried either the Advan Ad08 or Michelins Pilot Super Sport?

I have Advan AD08's. Anything particular you would like to know?

Tyre: Advan Neova AD08

Size: 275/35/19

Car: R34 GTR

Driving: Casual weekend drives, Mountain/Twisty roads, Sandown Trackday.

Price: $650 per tyre (expensive due to size).

Fantastic dry grip, even with 420rwkw.

Best tyres i have ever run on any of my cars would have to be the Pirelli P Zero Corsa, They had so much grip it was unbelievable, Having said that i don't think they would last very long for daily use as they are a really soft compound.

Has anyone tried either the Advan Ad08 or Michelins Pilot Super Sport?

I have Advan AD08's. Anything particular you would like to know?

Tyre: Advan Neova AD08

Size: 275/35/19

Car: R34 GTR

Driving: Casual weekend drives, Mountain/Twisty roads, Sandown Trackday.

Price: $650 per tyre (expensive due to size).

Fantastic dry grip, even with 420rwkw.

I just wanted to know how they handle and how predictable these are. I tossing up between the two brands for my 180. I'm thinking of running 245x35x18 front and 265x35x18 rear. The car is a weekender that's why I'm not fussed about buying either of these plus the reason for size is I like the look of a nice fat tyre compaired to the stretched look that most drifter have.

Funny you mentioned the Pirelli as it was third on my list being more expensive than the Advan and Michelin PSS.

But one problem with the Michelin PSS is that it can only be imported as they are not sold here. Might have to get it from tirerack.

Edited by The New Guy

I have had Advan AD08s and RE001 in 235/45/17

- The AD08 have thicker and stiffer sidewalls compared to the RE001.

- I feel that wet grip is slightly better on the RE001 but I have not aqua plane on any of these tyres.

- RE001 is plenty of grip on the street but felt squishy and I managed to overheat it on the track

- Just did a trackday this past Sat and the AD08 just has a lot more grip and I did not manage to over heat these

- Prices: $1300 for AD08 and $900 for RE001 (balanced/fitted)

- AD08 is not as loud in terms of road harmonics. If you hit bumps then you will notice more rattling and creaks due to harder sidewall

I ended up goin with some dunlop sport maxx RT (new version of the sport maxx GT) which i actually have on the rears.

225/40/18 were $350 each, down from 390 or so.

Have only had them on the car a coupla days and haven't done much driving yet but so far so good..seem to grip quite well. Ill have to push them a bit when i get a chance and see how they hold up.

I have Advan AD08's - 275/35/19. Quite an expensive tyre (especially due to the size) but they still grip, even with 420rwkw.

Fantastic tyre.

I know they are awesome in the dry but what about in the wet, any feedback driving in the rain? im planing on getting a set. 225/40/18F and 255/40/18 because they dont make 35 profile in 255.

hard to judge the wear rate i know because i dont know ur driving style but how have they been for you regarding wear?

Im running the advan sport in 225/45/17. Fukn awesome tyre, heaps of of grip and when they let go it is gradual qnd predictable. My next will be the neova after the reviews ive read I cant wait, migjt even get them before the sports get to the bars !

Toyo Proxy's are really good value street tyres and aren't half bad in the wet either

I have some mates who swear by the Michelins Pilot Super Sport they had a set on their 700hp VE SS. But I have never used them.

Two of my Favorite street tyres is the Toyo T1R. Currently on my S15, grip is fantastic in the dry with so much confidence on hill runs. In the wet it is fantastic also. I get them for around $300 a tyre for 235/40/18. These are my favorite tyre to date.

38026.34_0.8900263_toyot1rbest.jpg

The other Bridgestone adrenalin re002 very similar performing and feel to the T1R. Love this tyre very much. Price is usually around $320 for a 235/40/18

adrenalin01.jpg

I also would like give mention to the Falken FK452. Not a bad tyre not a great tyre. The only set ever had wore out pretty fast and offered decent performance in the wet and dry. I neither love or dislike them. They are affordable and reliable. Price I think was $240 for a 235/35/19

34337.26_0.8937952_FALKENFK452.jpg

Two tyres I hate. -

Full Run HP177 - for a so called 'High Performance' these things are total garbage and in the wet flat out dangerous. My bald Falkens with exposed steel were more controllable in the wet. These things were so bad even after just a sprinkle. In fact I spun the car 2 or 3 times in wet with these things one going around a corner at 30 or so km/h thats how little control you have on these things. Price was $120 for 235/40/18. The only good thing about them is they lasted a fairly long time and made loads of smoke when you did Doughnuts and skids.

fullrun_hp177.jpg

Falken ZE912 - Well I think that was the ones. I put these on a Mazda 323 about 7 years ago. Not sure if they have been superceeded by now, but if they are the same tyre these things were garbage in the wet. The Mazda used to understeer just trying to take a corner at normal speeds.

ziex_ze912.jpg

Two tyres I would love to try is the Bridgestone RE11 and the Dunlop Z1 Direzza Star Spec ultra high performance tyres I think these are similar to the Advan AD08.

Edited by Shakey Bones

My nitto invo

very sexy tyres

NITTO_INVO_2_671_283.png

I am currently using Sumitomo ZIII's for the street. This is the only tire I have tried with my current suspension setup and wheels, however I love these tyres as they are provide great amounts of grip in the dry when going for sensible hills runs. I cant recall how long ive had them on for but they seem to have good wear and not much road noise. Definately recommend these tyres for a street car that goes on the occassional spirited drive.

I have Advan AD08's - 275/35/19. Quite an expensive tyre (especially due to the size) but they still grip, even with 420rwkw.

Fantastic tyre.

I know they are awesome in the dry but what about in the wet, any feedback driving in the rain? im planing on getting a set. 225/40/18F and 255/40/18 because they dont make 35 profile in 255.

hard to judge the wear rate i know because i dont know ur driving style but how have they been for you regarding wear?

I've only driven my car 2-3 times in the rain. The AD08's still have good grip through corners in the wet. I do break traction quite easily when accelerating though, but there aren't many tyres that can handle 400+kw in the wet.

As for tyre wear, I have only done 2500kms in 15 months so I still have plenty of tread left.

Fantastic tyre.

I've only driven my car 2-3 times in the rain. The AD08's still have good grip through corners in the wet. I do break traction quite easily when accelerating though, but there aren't many tyres that can handle 400+kw in the wet.

As for tyre wear, I have only done 2500kms in 15 months so I still have plenty of tread left.

awesome ! got my set for 1500$ which i think is a good buy,

225/40/18 & 255/35/18

I have some mates who swear by the Michelins Pilot Super Sport they had a set on their 700hp VE SS. But I have never used them.

Two of my Favorite street tyres is the Toyo T1R. Currently on my S15, grip is fantastic in the dry with so much confidence on hill runs. In the wet it is fantastic also. I get them for around $300 a tyre for 235/40/18. These are my favorite tyre to date.

38026.34_0.8900263_toyot1rbest.jpg

The other Bridgestone adrenalin re002 very similar performing and feel to the T1R. Love this tyre very much. Price is usually around $320 for a 235/40/18

adrenalin01.jpg

I also would like give mention to the Falken FK452. Not a bad tyre not a great tyre. The only set ever had wore out pretty fast and offered decent performance in the wet and dry. I neither love or dislike them. They are affordable and reliable. Price I think was $240 for a 235/35/19

34337.26_0.8937952_FALKENFK452.jpg

Two tyres I hate. -

Full Run HP177 - for a so called 'High Performance' these things are total garbage and in the wet flat out dangerous. My bald Falkens with exposed steel were more controllable in the wet. These things were so bad even after just a sprinkle. In fact I spun the car 2 or 3 times in wet with these things one going around a corner at 30 or so km/h thats how little control you have on these things. Price was $120 for 235/40/18. The only good thing about them is they lasted a fairly long time and made loads of smoke when you did Doughnuts and skids.

fullrun_hp177.jpg

Falken ZE912 - Well I think that was the ones. I put these on a Mazda 323 about 7 years ago. Not sure if they have been superceeded by now, but if they are the same tyre these things were garbage in the wet. The Mazda used to understeer just trying to take a corner at normal speeds.

ziex_ze912.jpg

Two tyres I would love to try is the Bridgestone RE11 and the Dunlop Z1 Direzza Star Spec ultra high performance tyres I think these are similar to the Advan AD08.

hey mate

have you driven on any feddy's?

i want to know how they compare to these more expensive tires you have tried.

=)

^ Federal 595s are rubbish as a street tyre. They're noisy, dry grip isn't that good and they're the least progressive tyre I've driven on in the wet. There's no real indication that they're about to let go, they just go.

interesting!

i suppose quality does reflect on the price

as a side note, how long ago did you experience 595s?

as the changed their tyres recently i think

Had them on my Falcon for around 45000kms, so roughly 2.5years and they still have a heap of tread left on them. They were fine when brand new, held the road ok for a cheap daily tyre but once the honeymoon period was over they weren't so flash at all.

Not that long ago they changed from manufacturing in China back to Thailand didn't they?. That said, I won't be going anywhere near them again as a daily, the Kumho KU-31s are much better for similar money.

I've had re001's, 595's, re002's, ma-v1's and KU31's. KU31 is my pick out of these.. (keeping in mind that these were different sizes)

RE001 - Good straight line grip, slightly less laterally. Good wet performance. Had trouble getting them up to temp, and when I did they got 'squishy'. After a few heat cycles they went weird..

RE002 - Same as 001, just more overall grip.

MA-v1 - Rubbish lol. That said they are old!

595 - decent dry grip (less than re001), average feedback and let go whenever they feel like, espec in wet conditions.

KU-31 - Good grip wet & dry (even on tyre wear indicators they still had impressive traction), excellent turn in, quiet, wear decently, dont seem to heat cycle badly. Very progressive

I might as well add my experience

From best to worse

- Yokohamma S drives

- toyo T1R

These two were very hard to identify which was overall better, but in saying that they ate pretty much the best of the best pure street tyre out there

- Re001 *have not tried reoo2*

even though now out of production due to the newer design RE002, they were good for price, though they dont like long duration of heat in them, but even when they loose grip they are very progressive in doing so and allow driver to feel it before it comes which tells the driver to back off, this is a very positive thing for safe driving I found.. As for grip, got 4-5 hot laps at the track before they started to understeer as said above.

- Federal 595

Worst of the above because I drove with these brand new and it failed to do what the re001 could with 60%-70% life left.. Other then that if you can get it dirt cheap it's better then ling longs otherwise spend a bit more money for re002 or the likes ad get major benefits.

Edited by AE86557

Are you serious, you want a good tyre for under 200 and you wamt good performance. Ever heard the terms "cheap and nasty" or "you get what you pay for". If you want something decent pay a few more dollars and you will be happier.

All I said was something that grips fairly well in the wet..

Are you serious, you want a good tyre for under 200 and you wamt good performance. Ever heard the terms "cheap and nasty" or "you get what you pay for". If you want something decent pay a few more dollars and you will be happier.

Thats so spot on....

All I said was something that grips fairly well in the wet..

keep your tires new. even with good tread old tires lose grip.

all tyres are good as long as you get the combination rite and suspension is up to scratch ( bad suspension = bad tyres),,,(good suspension= good tyres)

its all on the compound

for the last 20 years tyre companies have been using the same compounds with new patterns and marketing schemes ,

you just have to check what u have against what you want to buy and work out whether you want softer or harder or even longer lasting.

forget about ku31 or brands or patterns or what ever the latest marketing say, or even forget about what works good on bob your uncles car

cause every driver and ever car will have a different affect to suit you best

tyre companies always cheat like all marketing schemes (eg tobacco companies, alcohol etc). they have a job to sell.

first 3 years tyre companies produce tyres with

220 tread-wear and compound of a temperature of A and and traction rating of B

then on the fourth year the pattern stays the same and every thing seem to look the same

but the ratings change and most tyre places and customers don't know the difference.

best advise i can give you is, go to a tyre place you can trust for advise

and do you own research but not in Australia

have a look at the USA or UK

there population is a lot higher and there is no room for crap (no one sided opinions).

if there is anything else i can help you with please just message me and i have no shame in the truth

even thou it hurts a lot a companies

Hands down tyres around/under 200. Federal rsrs, great grip when cold/in the wet and at the track. An all round tyre that'll work well in all conditions for a great price.

I have always been a fan of the continental Eco III sport contacts

Ticks all the boxes for me

Just wondering, anyone know some good tires for a good price? Bit more detail; need to get 2 new tires for the rear on my daily na s13, need something around 225/40/17 or 225/45/17 (if they make them in those sizes, not sure) want to get something that grips well in all situations - dry & wet, but need it on a teenagers budget lol, roughly 90-150ea.

Any references?