Sign in to follow this  
sweepa

Muslim Riots and calls for Deportation!

You two still don't get it, all of those points you made are futile, Harris is still Christian, and you've probably entrenched him in his ideals and you've kinda affirmed his opinion on atheists, so fundamentally you're both wrong.

that's almost a "why get out of bed in the morning" kind of argument though. if we were that defeatists with everything, nothing would get done and if we are that defeatist with this topic as well, we'd be making a concession for a topic just because "it's hard". Nothing is invariably futile in this sense.

In 2012, we are still fighting over religion.

LOL

RETURNING TO THE TOPIC

Bus bays at Parramatta Train Station are currently closed by Police because Muslims are protesting outside Max Brennor's (cafe franchise), chanting "Free Palestine", etc.

Talking to cops, the reason for the protest is that the franchise has a business tie with Israel.

What the F**k is wrong with these people.

Pretty long but very interesting debate. both sides make strong arguments.

Some cliff-notes for those that can't be bothered watching it all

The motion is "That Islam is a religion of piece"

For the motion argued....

That the vast majority of Muslims are peaceful and it is only a very small minority of extremists cause all the problems.

That many Muslims have come out against extremism, have voted against extremist parties in democratic elections and assist in capturing violent extremists even in the face of violent retaliation from said extremists.

And that much of Islamic scripture is taken out of context.

Against the motion argued.....

That Islam at it's core is fundamentally violent in it's teachings.

They acknowledged that most Muslims are indeed peaceful but that the reason for that is that most Muslims thankfully apply critical thinking to the qua-ran and CHOOSE not to follow it in a literal sense. (basically they're peaceful because they don't actually follow the qua-ran's teachings.

And that although most Muslims are peaceful, Islam still seems to produce a disproportionate number of violent extremists when compared to any other belief system.

RETURNING TO THE TOPIC

Bus bays at Parramatta Train Station are currently closed by Police because Muslims are protesting outside Max Brennor's (cafe franchise), chanting "Free Palestine", etc.

Talking to cops, the reason for the protest is that the franchise has a business tie with Israel.

U moron Palestine has both Christians and Muslims.

Faith doesn't have much to do with that, that is more or less public prejudice, some atheists also discriminate against those who prefer the same sex.

Are you joking dude? Faith and religion has everything to do with it. It's the precise reason for it, and the precise reason it has been delayed.

Same can be said for the rights of coloured folk, they were treated like shit, yet the bible never mentioned white people are in any way superior to those of colour..

have you read the bible? The bible condones and actually gives rules and guidelines on slavery

However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way. Leviticus 25:44-46

Slaves, obey your earthly masters with deep respect and fear. Serve them sincerely as you would serve Christ. Ephesians 6:5

The servant will be severely punished, for though he knew his duty, he refused to do it. "But people who are not aware that they are doing wrong will be punished only lightly. Much is required from those to whom much is given, and much more is required from those to whom much more is given." Luke 12:47-48

Are you serious???

Have you read the bible? Or did you just hit "bible and servants" on google and copied and pasted.

Oh and we are talking 1000's of years ago, when it was written, you don't see Christians with servants do you?

The first 2 verses are from the old testament, the third verse is a parable of the wise steward. Or 4 servants.

Most of the old testament is not valid anymore or are but in simple terms, Re-Written in the new testament. (Not including things such as the 10 commandments, sabbath day, etc)

Edited by Rolled Cambers

Are you serious???

Have you read the bible? Or did you just hit "bible and servants" on google and copied and pasted.

Oh and we are talking 1000's of years ago, when it was written, you don't see Christians with servants do you?

The first 2 verses are from the old testament, the third verse is a parable of the wise steward. Or 4 servants.

Most of the old testament is not valid anymore or are but in simple terms, Re-Written in the new testament. (Not including things such as the 10 commandments, sabbath day, etc)

Actually, the first verse is from the old testament, the two other are from the new. The second references christ. I have actually read a large portion of the bible, I won't say i've read it cover to cover and memorised it because frankly I gloss over some parts that are utterly tedious or just repetitious. But yes, you're right, I copy pasted, because I didn't commit it to memory, I remembered the references, but to get the text right I had to look it up.

Saying we're talking thousands of years ago is a cop out. Is it not still part of the religion? Or did god change his mind? Or did moses get it wrong? Or did abraham get it wrong? Did god get it wrong?

What about the jews? Do they say that their holy books "don't count anymore?"

Isn't that great proof that religion is man made? The fact that it just gets dismissed as outdated because it no longer makes any sense?

and what about Islam? Islam prides itself on never being changed? Doesn't it become as "out of date" as the old christianity teachings?

In fact, why do people think they can pick and choose bits out of the bible to adhere to, and others to not? If they've already got a moral compass to decide that slavery is wrong and f**k what the bible says, why do they need the bible at all?

Edited by bootlegapparel

RETURNING TO THE TOPIC

U moron Palestine has both Christians and Muslims.

You're right, I'm a moron. 5% of Palestinians are either Christian or Jewish. In the future I'll ignore the fact that:

- 95% of the Palestinian populace are Muslim.

- All the countries and organizations that allied with Palestine in the Israeli-Palestine war were Muslim.

- The PLO, Hamas, Jihad Movement and pretty much everyone fighting Israel, demonstrating and instigating attacks on Israel are Muslim.

My bad. Here's a news article on it.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/8536152/anti-israel-protest-held-in-parramatta

Edited by pmod

quick question, who decides when part of the bible isn't relevant any more?

Chuck Norris

Chuck Norris

Chuck Norris' sperm count is so high, that bitches have to chew before they swallow!

Religious arguments are stupid.

People say you need something to believe in. I can understand why, the human brain can't comprehend the unknown. To be unknown is to not exist, that's the way we think.

There is no factual proof of ANY god. Are people trying to find that? Maybe that's what religion is? Still, there's no proof.

There is no factual proof of "the big bang". Are people trying to find the proof? Yes, and they are making progress. However, still no proof.

For ANYTHING to be proven, as humans we need the physical; see, hear and touch.

Without that proof, i don't believe in it.

I say, why not just accept the fact that there is an unknown (creation of the universe/life)?

If people could accept that, they would pool more resources into proving theories (because that's all religion is).

If humanity as a whole accepted the unknown, there would be no religious wars, no stupid videos, and no stupid protests.

Why fight over differing theories? Why not just aim to prove your theory is correct? Why drag other people into your theory? Why push your theory on everyone else without proof?

Humans are dumb, and we all need to accept that,and therefore strive to learn and "know" more.

Religion is not the answer to growing civilization, knowledge is.

With so much energy put into constant bickering about what is more believable, we take away from what we all should be doing. Improving and growing as a human civilization.

So shut up and prove your theory before you preach it.

There is no factual proof of "the big bang". Are people trying to find the proof? Yes, and they are making progress. However, still no proof.

Hang on a sec dude, there is. If you have an old analog TV, (a very small part of) the static you see is the background radiation from the big bang.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Bang#Observational_evidence

Hang on a sec dude, there is. If you have an old analog TV, (a very small part of) the static you see is the background radiation from the big bang.

Its from background radiation believed to be from the big bang.

Is it the most credible and likely explanation to date? Yes.

Does it have more credible evidence than all other religions combined? Yes.

Is it proven? No.

Edited by Chappy

Oh, on topic.

I was raised as a Catholic. Due to that, I've had a lot of prejudice relating to having relations with priests, hanging on a cross, being called a mass murderer (crusades), etc. Not to mention the billions of Christianity jokes, and offensive

videos.

I never once had the urge to protest, let alone riot.

The video could be more offensive than anything ever shown before, yet I know it not to be real or the truth, so why should it phase me?

If there was proof of god/s existence, then yes it would be offensive.

Being offended by someone's opinion on your theory is narrow minded. Prove them wrong, prove your theory.

Yeah I know that. I'm talking about The entire big bang theory. There is some proof of parts of the theory, not in the entirety though. (that's what I meant by it being worked on).

Its from background radiation believed to be from the big bang.

Is it the most credible and likely explanation to date? Yes.

Does it have more credible evidence than all other religions combined? Yes.

Is it proven? No.

Too true.

I can't think if one bit of proof relating to any religion that has the same level of justification. I wait for the day.

(no, a book is not proof for obvious reasons)

its just unbelievable the way that people are arguing over a religion. i don't believe in any of those luckily. But to be honest i have learned lots of things from Buddhism. May be because it has the most logical and scientifically proven facts in it. Actually i happened to read this on internet a while ago which is actually awesome. It is something that Buddha predicted about the future of human being and universe. Just give it a quick read if you like. Just throwing my 2 cents.

Ok 1st off...

Hahahaha, if you were actualy familiar with history, you would know that the greatest rational thinker of all time 'Sir Issac Newton' had one passion above all in life - And nope it wasn't the sciences. Guess what was? It was, reading... the Bible!

Looks like you've just been proven wrong.

WTF? That has to be the absolute weakest, stupidest, lamest argument of the bible I have ever heard!!!!!!!! Issac Newton read the bible so it must be true? Are you f**king kidding me?

Arn't you good at hastily drawing conculsions from an incident. So far, we haven't got to the part on whether or not the Bible is true yet. All we had was just a simple discussion on rational thinkers rememeber?

Edited by si180.

The big bang is pretty much an established fact. We have mountains of evidence supporting it, every time you turn your (old analog) tv on, the static you saw was (partly) the cosmic background radiation from the big bang. We can see the evidence for it all around us.

I'm not sure what you regard there as conclusive evidence, but an observation of thermal radiation in the apparent universe could be caused by a number of things. Why rush to such conclusions by deeming it as irrefutable proof for The Big Bang explosion?

Ok 1st off...

Hahahaha, if you were actualy familiar with history, you would know that the greatest rational thinker of all time 'Sir Issac Newton' had one passion above all in life - And nope it wasn't the sciences. Guess what was? It was, reading... the Bible!

Looks like you've just been proven wrong.

WTF? That has to be the absolute weakest, stupidest, lamest argument of the bible I have ever heard!!!!!!!! Issac Newton read the bible so it must be true? Are you f**king kidding me?

Arn't you good at hastily drawing conculsions from an incident. So far, we haven't got to the part on whether or not the Bible is true yet. All we had was just a simple discussion on rational thinkers rememeber?

Newton also spent decades on alchemy. That didn't turn out well. There's no doubt he was probably one of the greatest minds ever, but just because he liked something or believed something doesn't make it true.

I don't think the bible can ever be called "true". It's a collection of fables, and the stories contradict each other. Let's completely forget the historical record, the origin story, the 500 year old humans, forget all that stuff. The books of the bible actually contradict each other. A contradiction cannot be true, so how can the bible be "true"?

The big bang is pretty much an established fact. We have mountains of evidence supporting it, every time you turn your (old analog) tv on, the static you saw was (partly) the cosmic background radiation from the big bang. We can see the evidence for it all around us.

I'm not sure what you regard there as conclusive evidence, but an observation of thermal radiation in the apparent universe could be caused by a number of things. Why rush to such conclusions by deeming it as irrefutable proof for The Big Bang explosion?

Isn't this just the same argument as "dinosaur bones were put there by god to test our faith"?. There is scientific consensus that the big bang is the best explanation for the beginning of our universe. If there's new evidence that points in a different direction, science will change and include that new evidence. It's not just the background radiation that supports the big bang theory either. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Bang#Observational_evidence Even if you don't want to accept it as fact just yet because you're holding out for definitive proof beyond any possibility of doubt, you have to admit that the evidence in support of the big bang is overwhelming, and the evidence for "god did it" is zero.

Newton also spent decades on alchemy. That didn't turn out well. There's no doubt he was probably one of the greatest minds ever, but just because he liked something or believed something doesn't make it true.

So you consider Isaac Newton to be one of the greatest minds ever, but one that believes in 'the fairy tales about a magical spaceman in the sky without any sort of evidence based facts'?

Also, if it weren't for the study of alchemy and its discoveries, the modern field of chemistry may never have advanced to where it is now.

I don't think the bible can ever be called "true". It's a collection of fables, and the stories contradict each other. Let's completely forget the historical record, the origin story, the 500 year old humans, forget all that stuff. The books of the bible actually contradict each other. A contradiction cannot be true, so how can the bible be "true"?

Not necessarily true. Any contradictions in the Bible are more than likely from misinterpretations of written text.

A contradiction cannot be true, so how can the bible be "true"?

The Big Bang theory has a number of contradictions. I guess that would imply that it's flawed now.

Isn't this just the same argument as "dinosaur bones were put there by god to test our faith"?. There is scientific consensus that the big bang is the best explanation for the beginning of our universe. If there's new evidence that points in a different direction, science will change and include that new evidence. It's not just the background radiation that supports the big bang theory either. http://en.wikipedia....tional_evidence Even if you don't want to accept it as fact just yet because you're holding out for definitive proof beyond any possibility of doubt, you have to admit that the evidence in support of the big bang is overwhelming, and the evidence for "god did it" is zero.

To my knowledge, the Bible does not mention the precise age of the Earth, nor does it reveal that there were no dinosaurs. What it does describe however, is that:

• the Earth is round and suspended in space
  • stars are innumerable
  • matter is comprised of particles which are invisible to the naked eye
  • a massive void of empty space exists in the universe
  • the Sun travels through space in an orbital path
  • the Pleiades cluster of stars are gravitationally bound and move in unison
  • the Orion cluster of stars are without gravitationally bound and move independently
  • radio waves travel at the speed of light
  • light being directional
  • the hydrological cycle
  • cloud formation is composed mainly from ocean water
  • the existence of ocean currents, underwater mountains, and springs
  • an expanding universe

Details now considered to be true.

Isn't this just the same argument as "dinosaur bones were put there by god to test our faith"?. There is scientific consensus that the big bang is the best explanation for the beginning of our universe. If there's new evidence that points in a different direction, science will change and include that new evidence. It's not just the background radiation that supports the big bang theory either. http://en.wikipedia....tional_evidence Even if you don't want to accept it as fact just yet because you're holding out for definitive proof beyond any possibility of doubt, you have to admit that the evidence in support of the big bang is overwhelming, and the evidence for "god did it" is zero.

To my knowledge, the Bible does not mention the precise age of the Earth, nor does it reveal that there were no dinosaurs. What it does describe however, is that:

• stars are innumerable
  • the Orion cluster of stars are without gravitationally bound and move independently
  • the hydrological cycle
  • an expanding universe

Do you have Bible verses to back this up or did you just grab that list from a pro-bible website?

And i don't mean vague misinterpreted crap (the same kind of misinterpreted crap that says Nostradamus predicted everything yet cannot conclusively predict anything before it actually happens), i mean solid descriptive text.

So you consider Isaac Newton to be one of the greatest minds ever, but one that believes in 'the fairy tales about a magical spaceman in the sky without any sort of evidence based facts'?

Also, if it weren't for the study of alchemy and its discoveries, the modern field of chemistry may never have advanced to where it is now.

Yes, and yes. But alchemy is still completely wrong.

Not necessarily true. Any contradictions in the Bible are more than likely from misinterpretations of written text.

How do you know which things are misinterpreted then?

A contradiction cannot be true, so how can the bible be "true"?

The Big Bang theory has a number of contradictions. I guess that would imply that it's flawed now.

Such as?

• stars are innumerable
  • the hydrological cycle
  • an expanding universe

Citations?

100k bounty on the filmmakers head

further investigation reveals that it was actually a Pakistani Minister that has put a 95000us bounty on the filmmaker

can you imagine ANY western minister doing this, i mean really

Pretty sure he already had a bounty on his head that was issued in the 80's then raised in the 90's.

I can't believe no one has brought out some kind of diet shake such as "muSLIM - explosive weight loss!"

Practically writes itself