Sign in to follow this  
GODZILLA

ADGP Round3 Feedback

Awesome event! Was great to see a decent size crowd at Mallala and hopefully it grows and grows for the next event!

Loved the new track layout - well done for trying something different. Made me want to get out there and drive it! (might have to "accidently" give it a go at next drift prac! haha)

The tire wall was better than having them staggered like they are at every other drift event at Mallala

You need a better way of marking the clipping points - maybe for the inner clip points a flag arrangement of some sort?

marking out the course clearly like others have suggested would be good - a Mallala issue i know...

I know its hard, but i would try and make sure the commentator knows what they are talking about before announcing it to the crowd. Multiple times the announcer would call a prac run as a judged run and confuse the crowd.

As always, not everyone will agreed with the judging decisions. Maybe if its down to a really close, 'hard to pick' run the person radioing the winner to the announcer could give a really quick reason why that specific person advanced?

There will always be down time, its unavoidable, but I think you sending out the buddy drift while we were waiting for Fink's car to be fixed was a very smart, quick thinking move. Kept the crowd happy.

The facebook updates along with the pictures of who vs who was a great idea. For people who dont know the drivers it was a great way for them to identify who they were watching.

Overall WELL DONE to you and your team and everyone that made the event happen. Loved it!

As part of being a spectator, I found having one commentator on at a time a little boring. I'd rather have two commentators on at once to make things a a lot more interesting and also won't have the need to put on music between runs which really ruins the vibe. Dat awkward moment Gangnam style came on a couple of times lol.

Continuous water barriers (guess it was on the spot thing) and also rid of them tyre stacks...or at least back em up 2 or so meters.

It's really refreshing to read about POSITIVES being said after an event. Haven't seen that in many a years. Well done to all involved !

More great feedback. Some things a purely a budget things, some are a Mallala thing and some are just sumply a bi product of using a new track layout and finding stuff out as it happens

We always want to improve and you can imagine how good it will be second time around!

As always, not everyone will agreed with the judging decisions. Maybe if its down to a really close, 'hard to pick' run the person radioing the winner to the announcer could give a really quick reason why that specific person advanced?

a lot of the judging decisions people didn't like was because they don't understand what the judges are looking for, need to inform the crowd better and not dumb it down

same thing happens at other events not just for the crowd but for drivers, would help to post something on the net before the event explaining what the judges want in detail for everybody to see

hope my car isn't broken for next year so I can enter, would be nice to enter a event that is run well

Edited by driftnick13

It was a great event! Saturday had heaps of track time. The sessions seemed to go forever and I barely stopped at the start line. The drag cones worked pretty well, by the end of the event most drivers were going flat out from the start anyway. Can't wait until the event is here again!

I think staying on schedule would work better if re-runs weren't allowed until, maybe, the top 8? Save the drama for the pointy end. Do the judges score in whole points, or with decimals?

Also, it seemed that some drivers needed to change tyres every 2 laps. It's not really ADGP's issue, but it also slowed things down A LOT. I know some cars can go through tyres, but a brand new pair of 265s in two laps? Maybe those 123s have good grip but damn do they wear down quick!

ooo night event in sydney???? not sydney motorsport park...... WSID return road? or WSID car park?

I think staying on schedule would work better if re-runs weren't allowed until, maybe, the top 8? Save the drama for the pointy end. Do the judges score in whole points, or with decimals?

Also, it seemed that some drivers needed to change tyres every 2 laps. It's not really ADGP's issue, but it also slowed things down A LOT. I know some cars can go through tyres, but a brand new pair of 265s in two laps? Maybe those 123s have good grip but damn do they wear down quick!

How can you ban re-runs though? I dont find that fair because if neither car does anything wrong and both smash out 2 awesome runs, how do you honestly and un-biasly decide who should advance?

Also, as it was suggested on the day, a hot pit closer to/ out on/near the course could avoid having downtime while people need to change their tires....

I personally would like to see over-taking while under drift and both cars still on the course penalised. There was an overtake during one of the battles where the lead car was under drift and still on the actual course, he had just run slightly wide and the chase car overtook him and got handed the win. That to me does not demonstrate you being a better driver....the chase car should have come up and sat on the lead cars door to showcase his better chasing ability as well as proximity and emulation.

My 2 cents...

How can you ban re-runs though? I dont find that fair because if neither car does anything wrong and both smash out 2 awesome runs, how do you honestly and un-biasly decide who should advance?

I saw the potential for the event to run very slowly if there were multiple re-runs during the top 32 battles. Don't get me wrong, I understand the idea of the re-run, I wish I had one!

Solution: All 3 judges vote anonymously using decimals if needed (ie. 7.3-2.7, 6.8-3.2, 5.2-4.8). You would be hard pressed to get 3 exact same scores for BOTH runs. Then have some re-runs (if needed) in the top 8/top 4 etc. for dramatic effect.

Just putting it out there. I'm happy if it stays the way it is :thumbsup:

I personally would like to see over-taking while under drift and both cars still on the course penalised. There was an overtake during one of the battles where the lead car was under drift and still on the actual course, he had just run slightly wide and the chase car overtook him and got handed the win. That to me does not demonstrate you being a better driver....the chase car should have come up and sat on the lead cars door to showcase his better chasing ability as well as proximity and emulation.

My 2 cents...

It depends what happened in their other battle but the driver who did the overtake should have been penalised for doing so.

It sounds like the event was really well run overall though which is great to hear. In the future though I'd love to see some judges who have more experience actually drifting. In Japan comps are almost always judged by other experienced drifters which I believe is a much better way of doing things.

My suggestion for the 'hot pit' would be to have the teams set up tyres, jacks and fluids in the start up grid [the fenced off section]...driver comes in and gets everything changed with out having to go back into the pits

would work for top 16 battles I think

Top 8-onwards, I reckon.

Set it up on the back straight before the esses. Obviously, some common sense with placement, and safety would prevail.

My suggestion for the 'hot pit' would be to have the teams set up tyres, jacks and fluids in the start up grid [the fenced off section]...driver comes in and gets everything changed with out having to go back into the pits

would work for top 16 battles I think

I suggested this in the drivers briefing

I saw the potential for the event to run very slowly if there were multiple re-runs during the top 32 battles. Don't get me wrong, I understand the idea of the re-run, I wish I had one!

Solution: All 3 judges vote anonymously using decimals if needed (ie. 7.3-2.7, 6.8-3.2, 5.2-4.8). You would be hard pressed to get 3 exact same scores for BOTH runs. Then have some re-runs (if needed) in the top 8/top 4 etc. for dramatic effect.

Just putting it out there. I'm happy if it stays the way it is :thumbsup:

my point of view on reruns is if it's a good close battle where both drivers do a great job, the losing driver, if only by a few points, deserves the benefit of the doubt to get a 2nd chance (assuming the judges aren't perfect, and that there should be tolerance allowed in their scores), it's good for the crowd, it makes the competition seem closer, and if it was a good battle the first time, it'll probably be even better the 2nd time. if the battle is shit, then even if there are only a few points in it, give it to the guy ahead, it's bad for the crowd to rerun shit battles, and neither driver deserve the benefit of the doubt from the judges, so just send one through and be done with it.

If there were no re-runs, you could probably pack up and head home before 2pm.

At least it's a good excuse for more comp drifting.

At the moment how is the voting actually viewed?

is it done via a point of the side of the track, which can change the judges perspective at different events, depending on angle, distance etc?

What if each car had camera's placed at the same locations and judges viewed the runs via these camera's so they see the lead car and chase car, proximity, etc??

That way a judge can watch the run real time as well as watch replay from important specific points??

Run into issues tho if there are camera problems :lol:

Just putting it out there. I'm happy if it stays the way it is thumbsup.gif

I'm not speaking for ADGP, just for myself - I've always taken the attitude of "has that driver done enough to win that battle"? There have been times when scores have been close and neither driver has received a YES to that question - in that situation, it's fairest to both drivers to re-run it. There have been times when scores have come back even, but the judges have agreed that one of the two drivers has clearly done a better job - then we've sent that driver through. I haven't read the ADGP regs, but the previous events I've done have always allowed for the head judge to have the discretion to rerun or make the call one way or another if the scores are close.

In the future though I'd love to see some judges who have more experience actually drifting. In Japan comps are almost always judged by other experienced drifters which I believe is a much better way of doing things.

I think you'll find all three judges for this event were experienced drifters ;)

We were the re-run kings :( Nick Had 2 re-runs with Rob,1 false start & 1 re-run with Luke. Had to borrow wheels & tyres for the last battle. Thanks god there was another VE at the track with tyres allready fitted, thanks again to Hayden for the lend :)

Back on topic it was a mad weekend & thoroughly enjoyed the whole event. As for the hot pits, we were all told we could use them for the tyres & jacks, but with our main pits only another 20 meterts away with all our tools & spares i didnt see the point. Took maybe 20 seconds longer.

Just putting it out there. I'm happy if it stays the way it is thumbsup.gif

I'm not speaking for ADGP, just for myself - I've always taken the attitude of "has that driver done enough to win that battle"? There have been times when scores have been close and neither driver has received a YES to that question - in that situation, it's fairest to both drivers to re-run it. There have been times when scores have come back even, but the judges have agreed that one of the two drivers has clearly done a better job - then we've sent that driver through. I haven't read the ADGP regs, but the previous events I've done have always allowed for the head judge to have the discretion to rerun or make the call one way or another if the scores are close.

Yep. I agree with you. Being a driver, re-runs would probably benefit me, getting a 2nd chance and hopefully putting on a better show.

My comments are purely an observation from standing on the hill wanting to get back onto the track (buddy drift, open track, extreme entry) and working out, objectively, what was causing the event to get behind schedule. The 2 things were re-runs and tyre changing.

I don't really want anything to change, just thought I'd add something to the discussion.

Yeah top steering to you both, and congrats to the whole ADGP crew on a great event. I had a great time and from the feedback so too did the crowd and teams, down time unfortunatley is a part of drifting, and is getting better all the time.

I'm thinking the gear they use on football fields, little machine you push along that lays down the white line in a chalky sort of texture that would wash off later, may have to be re-done a few times throughout the day, and would be far from ideal if it rained, but it would make the viewing and driving better.

Bring on the final round I say.

thanks mate, have to say to commentating was the best i've seen at mallala in years, the idea of a commentator coming around to grab notes from each driver blew my mind, as we're used to the guy in the tower making so many completely irrelevant claims and facts up about each car haha

I think you'll find all three judges for this event were experienced drifters ;)

I think you and me have a different idea of what experienced means :)

At the moment how is the voting actually viewed?

is it done via a point of the side of the track, which can change the judges perspective at different events, depending on angle, distance etc?

The judges were based at the top of the last grandstand. perfect vantage point for the best possible view of the track.

As for re-runs, the day that re-runs are ruled out of any part of the comp we may as well go circuit racing. drift is open to interpretation so there must be the avenue to re-run when it's needed. A certain comp earlier in the year where we were told in the drivers briefing there would be no re-runs lost it's credibility for me there and then. I understand there is time constraints but maybe there needs to be additional things eg expression sessions that are factored in for later in the day that if the need be can be left out due to the comp part of the day running a bit over.

Anyway I thought the event finished at the scheduled time which would be a first for quite a while.

Great work to all the ADGP crew.