Sign in to follow this  
sleeper_s15

registering bike no lapsed rego

So I just purchased a CBR250RR off a mate that hasn't been registered for over a year. He has lost the rego papers but I''ve been told I don't need it the register the bike, all I need is receipt as proof of purchase, blueslip and all the other things like CTP.

Now, I''ve been told I need the previous number plates on the bike, not physically but apparently I need to be able to tell the RTA what it is? Any truth to that? Cause mate doesn't remember the plates

why not ring the RTA and see what they say.

Was about to then realised they closed at lunch today so thought I'd try to get an answer on here before heading out there on Monday. I think it should be fine though being I can supply every other detail except for the rego number. Worse case scenario I guess I take my mate with me i guess

Hope all goes well :)

Just slapped 3 months rego on my bike too .

I can cover this - just went through the same process with a bike I had sitting in the garage for 12 months w/no rego.

To begin, RTA can be jerks on this one; I had three trips there before I got all the information.

You need:

* Blue Slip

* Green Slip (CTP)

* Notice of disposal (on the back of rego papers OR you can pick one up from the RTA) signed and filled out by both you & your mate.

* License plates to hand into RTA - they will give you new ones. I tried to argue around this as I forgot them, all it got me was a pissed off moron behind the counter and another round trip home to pick them up :lol:

Without all of the above you cannot register the bike in your name. Worth noting that the notice of disposal has to be submitted by both of you; your mate can do it online @ myrta.com but you have to go in. Once he has done it, you have 14 days to do yours & vice versa.

Don't bother under valuing the bike on rego papers as it goes by sale price OR market value, whichever is higher.

It is a shit process but unavoidable! Learn from my mistakes and get it right the first time.

Edited by Bennybear