Sign in to follow this  
ru55kj

How much Electricity do you use?

Just received Electricity bill recently and it seems a little larger, so I just wanted to check if it's us who use electricity too much or may be the meter is faulty or it's normal, or related to carbon tax bullsh!t or something.

Anyway. we live in a villa with NO gas - electricity only.

2 adults - no kids

work full time

1 fridge

1 tv

washing machine drier

heater works few hours at night

etc.etc

The bill was for total of 2274 kWh which equals to $550 a quarter.

So how much do you spend on electricity?

Cheers

Kostya

I think everyone has had a huge bill for both electricity and gas..

Last month was the biggest month for disconnections of utility's due to being unpaid (10,700 odd) for Victoria alone..

4 bedroom house

2 adults, 1 baby

2kettles on constantly keeping water warm for milk

solar water heating

gas heating ,cooking

ducted AC

1 fridge

1 bedroom heater (put away last week, but used every morning before that)

2 tvs

dryer

947KW/h

$317 per quarter

average house in NSW uses 7300 per year.

making it 1825kwh per quarter

3 adults. All shift work everything is "green" or low power etc etc. power and gas about 6k a year and hardly anything is every used. The price of living is a joke these days and all utilities are all set to keep going up

we moved house about a year ago and out bill jumped $200/quarter even thought we were using all the same appliances etc that we had before, except for a dishwasher. since then it's jumped a further $100 or so with no actual increase in usage on our behalf :S we're now at the same $550 or so for 2 adults, no kids. no f**king idea what's happened. we've bought power monitors to try and keep an eye on our appliances, but nothing so far is out of the ordinary....

we also have gas heating and gas hot water, but electricity charges are still mental.

Edited by pyro

Ours is only around $350 per quater.

Gas heating, 2 bedroom house, 2 adults, 1 toddler.

We have relatively new appliances, but we're pretty anal about leaving lights on, and leaving un-used appliances switched on.

we're in the same boat . 2 adults, 3 BED house, 2 large tv's, no aircon, no gas, no pool and both work full time. Our bills have gone from $360 to $530 in 2 years

4 bedroom house. Hardly home. Everything off and 800 per quater. They do a street average for some streets.

Im a green energy electrician. solar installer and ive herd nd seen some funny bills. Iv seen old couples that only run fridges with bills around 500

$800/quarter????? Blardy hell!

3 bedroom house, 2 adults 1 child. Air con tempramentally on (it works when it wants...), Of a nighttime most stuff gets switched off at the wall. I think the most I've ever paid is slightly under $400 a quarter.

3 bedroom house 2 adults 3 kids. No heaters. Air con when hot. $1400 per quarter. We blame it on the water heater. It's old and never been serviced or anything

Alright so I guess having gas makes the biggest difference.

$800/quarter????? Blardy hell!

3 bedroom house, 2 adults 1 child. Air con tempramentally on (it works when it wants...), Of a nighttime most stuff gets switched off at the wall. I think the most I've ever paid is slightly under $400 a quarter.

a guy i work with just had $1400 in a quarter. him, his wife, 1 toddler and a new born. he's not growing weed either.

No dodgey meter?? Is this the norm down south? I know heating costs more than cooling but still!

dryer is the f**ker that gets u, its sucks ur bank account dry.

mines around 500 a quarter. Me and a mate in a 4 bedroom house, aircon, 3 large LCD screens, washing machine, dryer, dishwasher.

Now that you mention the clothes drier, it'll probably mean our next bill will be through the roof.

We all have to remember it was winter as well last quater, we are home alot more, and using alot more heating..

Well, comparing to previous quarter which was also winter the bill is about $100 more.

Household of five.

Three fridges, flat screens and tonnes of stuff going

Last bill was around $480.

I think it's pretty good for how much power we use in a 4 bedder

Edited by r33cruiser

Well, comparing to previous quarter which was also winter the bill is about $100 more.

f**k really?!

....Maybe the carbon tax might have something to do with it.

i work for a electricity company, i see the high bills, my only bit of advice is that you can't compare to people on a forum in diff states and it will not give you any accurate info, for example qld is the cheapest per kwh in australia,

if you want to know more on how to lower bills etc feel free to pm me

4 adults

1x 55 inch (use most nights)

1x 42 inch (Not used often)

1x double door fridge

1x dryer ( Used once ever week about 1-2 hours)

1x washing machine (Used once ever week about 1-2 hours)

1x electric shower (used daily, no gas <_>

1x electric stove (used most nights)

1x Crappy old heater (Costs a but load to run so now no longer use)

Our first Quarter: $963 split by 4

My Gf and house mates used the heater non stop during winter and the dryer was also frequently used until we got this bill.

Now i have become know as a electricity nazi because I wont let them use the heater at all and no dryer unless its raining but I'm keen to see the next bill.

2 Adults. $660 Last quarter. According to our provider we use more than an average 6 person family :huh:

Just had a third room mate move in... Can't wait to see this quarters.

Was $700 a quarter - parents chucked a shit fit, spent $17000 on solar panels now like $200 a quarter during winter.

Everything electric except for gas heater.

As for useage:

1 x Fridge/Freezer

1 x Fridge

1 x Freezer

1 x Microwave

1 x Electric Stove (+ oven)

1 x Washing Machine + Dryer (Dryer never ever used though - Hills hoist FTW)

Old school 60 CM CRT TV.

2 desktop computers - 1 constantly used (power brick too)

Few laptops and phones.

So Solar cut $500 during the worst quarter (in terms of efficiency) - be interesting to see if it pays off during the rest of the year.

Also NB: Sometimes ETSA (or whatever they are now) will take an estimate rather than actually reading your meter - so you might be paying more - we were paying an extra $100 until my father realised this.

Also NB: Sometimes ETSA (or whatever they are now) will take an estimate rather than actually reading your meter - so you might be paying more - we were paying an extra $100 until my father realised this.

I reckon thats whats happening at my place I should look into getting it checked

4 bedroom house 2 adults,swimming pool, A/C, two led lcd TVs and a plasma with moderate usage, $ 300.

Being vigilant rather than utterly frugal does the trick. First bill was 1400 but that was with fat cnutz having the air conditioning set on 16 24/7 for 3 months..

I reckon thats whats happening at my place I should look into getting it checked

if you're going to look in to it, check your meter against your bill first. missus works for an electricity company and has had quiet a few people call up thinking they're being over charged, end up being way under and have to pay more.

as for my usage, not sure off the top of my head, but bills around $400 a quarter.

that's with: fridge, A/C, led tv/ps3 together, pc running constantly, elec stove, elec hot water, laptop/tablet/ds etc being charged.

mind you, being that she works for them, we get some discount, but not much more than average customer

1 bedroom

2 people (gf is there 4 nights)

Get my bill monthly and last bill was $62.02 so about $186 a quarter.

Average 1 person/2 person household in my area uses 380kwh i used 247.

if you're going to look in to it, check your meter against your bill first. missus works for an electricity company and has had quiet a few people call up thinking they're being over charged, end up being way under and have to pay more.

as for my usage, not sure off the top of my head, but bills around $400 a quarter.

that's with: fridge, A/C, led tv/ps3 together, pc running constantly, elec stove, elec hot water, laptop/tablet/ds etc being charged.

mind you, being that she works for them, we get some discount, but not much more than average customer

See its stuff like that i would have had no idea about lol Cheers mate I'll see if i can track down my bill and have a suss of the meter thanks again :thumb:

I will go through a few things. I work in the power industry.

I see heaps of people who have meter test done and out of every 100 test's, there would be lucky to have 1 faulty meter.

Now one way you can test your meter (if you have the old style meter), is turn the power off at the mains, wait about an hour or two and see if the spinning wheel in the meter stops, if it does not stop it could be faulty.

With estimated reads your bill will tell you if it was actual or an estimated read. In most states the meters are read every 3 months, the only reason your meter should be estimated if they could not gain access, example you have a fence around your property or the meter is behind a locked gate or door. The meter readers are paid for every meter they read so they will try to get an actual reading.

Next thing is your appliances, people say that they are using the same appliances as they did the year before, as appliances get older, they start to break down and use more power. One thing which you can do is get an electrician out to your house to test all the appliances and make sure they are all working correctly. Turning the appliances off at the wall when not in use it a good habit to get into and can reduce your bill. You may not see much of a difference in a quarter bill, but over a year it will save you some money.

I have seen a person's bill triple because of a faulty fridge.

Next is your lighting, one thing you can do is change all the light globes to energy saving bulbs, but you have to remember this will only make a small difference on your power bill. Basically on your bill, lighting your house is only around 20 per cent of the bill. So by decreasing amount of power used for light bulbs will only decrease a small portion of your bill.

With the bill itself, on average between $50 to $100 are for property charges, and you also have GST. So before you use any electricity you will be hit with these charges, these are shown on your bill as a supply charge or service to property charge.

My own personal bill is around $300 a quarter. My house has 2 adults and a 5 year old. No one is there during the hours of 7am to 7pm. 3 bedrooms. I have found most of my bill comes from heating and cooling and also the fridge freezer.

Edited by X-ISLED

6 bedroom house

3 adults

no gas

$1200 a quarter and we have 2 dryers cause we always seem to clash when we do our washing.. lol..

I'm a nazi about turning shit off thats not in use though.. lights, tvs, etc.. only thing on 24x7 is my pc :P