Sign in to follow this  
salahuddin

hissing sound from engine?

hey guys,

ive got a 96 r33 gtst and got a new clutch 3 weeks ago. when i got the car back after the clutch install i straight away noticed a hissing sound coming from the engine bay, specifically from the passenger side. i went back to the mechanic, they had a look and said its just the clutch parts settling and it should stop hissing soon once the clutch settles in. its been 3 weeks now and its still there. ive noticed that its always hissing, whether on idle or not, and the sound corresponds to the revs, so if i rev the sound gets louder with the revs. i took it back to the mechanic and this time i was told it cant be the clutch, and it could be the turbo (something about parts in the turbo touching eachother as it spins, sorry i forgot what he said exactly). has anyone ever experienced this before? or know what it could be? it almost sounds like an air leak...

pressure leaking from exhaust, cooler piping, or water lines i would think. they may have removed the front pipe to remove the box, same with cooler piping (or at least a lot of people to this with Sr20's, i havent done a clutch change on a 33 so im not so sure).

Sounds to me like the dump pipe gasket.

I had the same issue when I replaced my clutch. I tried reusing the gasket... :teehee:

check yo intake son!!!

Seriously though intake (turbo mouth) or boost leak (cooler piping) dump gasket you could see if it is with a torch.

Smoke machine into intake or under car when running (take clutch fan off or drop thermo's if you put it underneath.

snakesinabay.jpg

In all seriousness though:

- Replace all your vacuum lines with new rubber tubes

- Check the gaskets and rubber/silicone joiners on the intercooler piping

- Top up all coolant/oil/power steering fluid

- With the engine cold, completely shield the turbo and manifold from the air being blown by the fan, start the car, wet your hands and put them around the manifold and turbo gaskets, rev the car and check for air/exhaust being blown onto you. Failing that, briefly disconnect the belt running the fan and repeat. An alternative is to shine a light on the region and spray a mist of water in the area, then rev, checking for disturbances in the water vapour.

i came in for a snake joke, seems i've been beaten.

Same. Saw the title, started thinking of a snake joke :lol:

There was a snake called Nate. His purpose in life was to stay in the desert and guard the lever. This lever was no ordinary lever. It was the lever that if moved would destroy the world. Nate took his job very seriously. He let nothing get close to the lever.

One day off in the distance he saw a cloud of dust. He kept his eye on it because he was guarding the lever. The dust cloud continued to move closer to the lever. Nate saw that it was a huge boulder and it was heading straight for the lever!

Nate thought about what he could do to save the world. He decided if he could get in front of the boulder he could deflect it and it would miss the lever. Nate slithered quickly to intersect the boulder. The boulder ran over Nate, but it was, in fact, deflected, leaving history to conclude that is was better Nate than lever.

After reading that I am now satisfied with my day and can happily go to bed.

Good night.