Sign in to follow this  
Ridin Dirty

sr20 oil ?

hey guys just wanted to know what nissan reccomends you put in an s15 in terms of engine oil and what you would suggest. sorry if this is something i could have searched for but i did and couldnt find anything, cheers heaps guys

10W-40

3.5 litres

Popular synthetic brands that people use:

Royal Purple

Motul

Mobil

I would suggest Royal Purple. Runs smoother than Motul for me

I haven't used any other oil than the first 2.

Edited by fried rice

Just keep in mind that those recommendations are for a new engine with no wear and tear. An older engine really should be fed a slightly thinker oil. It's all up to each case though I guess.

Some SR's like different oils and different brands.

For some reason mine was pretty noisy when I tried Royal Purple...it just didn't like it, it didn't like Motiul and Castrol Edge for the same reasons. I've been using Penrite Sin for ages now and it really loves it. Doesn't break down after a few thousand kms like the others seemed to.

^ Always used Penrite no probs here. The Everyday Synthetic 10-40 is nice too.

i have used motul chrono eversince i owned my s15 ...the head still looks super clean and brand new

hey guys just wanted to know what nissan reccomends you put in an s15 in terms of engine oil and what you would suggest. sorry if this is something i could have searched for but i did and couldnt find anything, cheers heaps guys

Yep. Hid that info in the Tech Articles section. Figured nobody would ever look there...

http://www.nissansilvia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=499814

Penrite 10W-40

works really well for my s15, i drop my oil every 4000 just because lol and the oil has only just got the slightest blackness to it and yes that is driving it quite hard

i have used motul chrono eversince i owned my s15 ...the head still looks super clean and brand new

All oils will make it look super clean and brand new if you change oil regularly.

Most Import owners change there oil around 5,000-7,500 when the oil could easily still be well within its actual molecular structure for atleast triple that amount.

Just stick to all your major leading brands and you will be fine Castrol,Caltex,Penrite,Shell,FUCHS,Motul etc.

Have you herd of AMSOILS ?

if you havn't you should start using it. i use AMS oils only on my s15. OIL, GEARBOX, DIFF.

They cost more then the above oils but they are tested and are known to do the job, anyone on here can tell you the same.

This is a true 100% synthetic oil :) not something u see on other brands that say fully synthetic... cause its not !

http://www.amsoil.com/

This is where i buy from.

http://www.performan...20pricelist.htm

Edited by 8888

If you change oil frequently then you won't need to buy the most expensive oils. Unless you're doing some racing where significant heat is introduced for a period of time in car's components - even the decent brands (not top of the line) will suffice.

I'm using that new penrite ten tenths oil 10-40 and impressed overall

How were you unimpressed previously.

Unless your running some foreign brand of absolute junk then you should be absolutely perfectly fine running anything off the shell that wont cost an arm and a leg, to many people want to do 'Good' for there engine without really taking notice that alot of the High Performance oils are actually better on track then just going down the street.

Edited by antonioシ

Had oils last (viscosity wise) a lot less, had certain oils burn, temp pressure differences with next to no changes in variables etc.

Worst was nulon tbh love their gearbox oil and g70 but oil wise I won't go near again.

Valvoline synthetic is great for the price.

Etc etc

Have been using Nulon for the last three or four changes, Haven't had an issue.

To be onist the best stuff 0W-40 castrol edge designed for proformance engine I use it and love it (I'm a mechanic)

Ever need to find out and more lube info on ur sil google search lube guide and click on first one.

Tells you everything from power steering to coolant to diff oil etc etc

To be onist the best stuff 0W-40 castrol edge designed for proformance engine I use it and love it (I'm a mechanic)

Ever need to find out and more lube info on ur sil google search lube guide and click on first one.

Tells you everything from power steering to coolant to diff oil etc etc

Your spelling of the word 'honest' convinces me that you are in fact a mechanic, as does your recommendation of the the wrong oil winter value (0W) for an S-chassis SR20DET.

Unless you're hard-parking on the top of Mount Kosciuszko, in which case job well done.

NB: Nobody should be using an online lube guide unless they're experiencing an allergic reaction during sex. The factory service manual is the resource people should be referencing when deciding the oil to use on their performance car, or some other model-specific resource somebody has kindly pieced together for them from the manual (http://www.nissansilvia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=499814).

NB: Nobody should be using an online lube guide unless they're experiencing an allergic reaction during sex. The factory service manual is the resource people should be referencing when deciding the oil to use on their performance car, or some other model-specific resource somebody has kindly pieced together for them from the manual (http://www.nissansil...howtopic=499814).

Wrong, you should not use the factory service manual for deciding on oil in a Silvia, if you had ever read it you would know what is recommended is way to old for the condition of these engines.. Off memory it recommends a 0-30 for an SR20DET.. So as per your example of Mount Kosciusko that is the the kind of oil you would use.

Online Lube Guide's are much better resource than a service manual.

NB: Nobody should be using an online lube guide unless they're experiencing an allergic reaction during sex. The factory service manual is the resource people should be referencing when deciding the oil to use on their performance car, or some other model-specific resource somebody has kindly pieced together for them from the manual (http://www.nissansil...howtopic=499814).

Wrong, you should not use the factory service manual for deciding on oil in a Silvia, if you had ever read it you would know what is recommended is way to old for the condition of these engines.. Off memory it recommends a 0-30 for an SR20DET.. So as per your example of Mount Kosciusko that is the the kind of oil you would use.

Online Lube Guide's are much better resource than a service manual.

No idea why you would think I haven't read the manuals dude, but whatever.

There is no recommendation of 0w-30 in the manuals, nor is there a single oil winter value recommendation made either. And as for age.. most SR20s are not hitting 200k, and a bunch have been rebuilt making their age a moot point.

By advising people to use an online lube guide, you're suggesting that they trade a qualified set of arbitrary numbers for an unqualified set of arbitrary numbers. I looked at Castrol's Lube Guide (first result running a search as previously advised) and for an S15 it suggests 0w-40, 5w-30 and 10w-40. The first is not even an option according to Nissan, second Nissan all but recommends not using, and third could easily be too thin for a car in hot conditions. For none of the oils did they give an explanation, hence I call them unqualified numbers.

The idea is to treat the oem recommendations as a baseline, then increase to accomodate circumstances.

S14:

S14 Oil recommendations.jpg

S15:

S15 Oil recommendations.jpg

Edited by pmod

10w is perfectly fine for any SR20 in Australia, people have been running weight of that oil for a decade in Silvias.