Sign in to follow this  
S15NA

Exhaust opinions

G'day Silvia brothers, would like your personal opinions today.. I spent 1k on this exhaust at hurricane, and it's loud as phuck and very annoying.. kinda over the dual tip look, do you guys prefer canon? There is two things i can do:

1. Change resonator, muffler to canon and make it quieter or

2. Sell the thing and get another brand exhaust?

image.jpg

canons are gay.

have you considered a varex muffler?

Cannons tend to be louder than twin tips but it really depends on the muffler I prefer twin tips myself and changing exhausts to make them quieter has been covered before (not to long ago actually) in terms of mufflers most will just change the note making it sound lower but still just as loud. is it drone that is your problem or is it just to loud overall?

here are some other threads on the same topic:

http://hardtuned.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=523650

and about halfway down this thread:

http://www.nissansilvia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=519633

Drone is a factor on lower rpm.. Higher rpm its very loud and high pitched.

I wad going to do varex, but arent they defect?

any aftermarket exhaust is a defect..

My s15 exhaust system is running a gktech front & dump pipe, xforce hi-flowcat and apexi N1 catback (full 3ïnch). Sounds excellent and doesn't roar too loud. I had it tested the other week and only hit 85 decibel @3000rpm completely legal.

Edited by SRR020silvia

My s15 exhaust system is running a gktech front & dump pipe, xforce hi-flowcat and apexi N1 catback (full 3ïnch). Sounds excellent and doesn't roar too loud. I had it tested the other week and only hit 85 decibel @3000rpm completely legal.

85db? @4500 rpm?

that's incredible, I got 85 db with a standard exhaust with restrictor plates and steel wool in my exhaust while getting epa'd.

almost all modifications are 'illegal'. a cop can defect you for anything if he is a prick (your tail lights for example)

If it drones, it's either too large a pipe diameter for a 2L NA, or you need a bigger resonator. Oval mufflers are usually quieter than cannons due to their size and ability to deviate from a straight-through path, but if you use a small one that's straight through then yeah, it's gonna be loud.

What size is it? If its anything more than 2.5" (i assume you have an NA) it is going to be a problem in terms of noise and also performance.

Just sell it, buy an off the shelf japanese exhaust with a JASMA badge on it. Make sure it has a mid muffler not some homo hotdog and a good rear muffler. I run a 3.75" exhaust and I can tell you it's more quieter than a stock V8 on song.

I understand you guys.. But the thing is, should i put a bigger resonator? (Its a hotdog atm lol) or sell the thing and buy a kakimoto or some quiet exhaust from jap..?

Up to you, waste more money or cut your losses and buy something that works.

They will charge you easily another $300+ to cut, shut a new resonator. Shops like those prey on youngsters.

Sell, buy a used nice Jap catback with e JASMA plate on it, nice mid muffler and rear muffler, should not go more than $400 used.

Is the exhaust 3" or 2.5"??? That is going to determine what we suggest you do. If it is 3" then sell the system and buy something that is appropriate for a non turbo SR. If it is 2.5" then you have options on how to modify it to suit your needs.

OP - I just noticed you have "S15 Autech" listed as your car. Do you still have the stock exhaust? The Autech already runs decent gear from factory; could simply bolt the factory gear back on and change the muffler if you want it louder.

Its a 2.5", and unfortunately no the bastards took the stock exhaust.. It was cracked anyways! Ill figure it out soon when i get more cash

The sad thing is i wanted the exhaust to be quiet.. They failed lol

Its impossible since its all the way in liverpool, I'm on my l's and have no time on weekends as i work.. So either way I'm stuffed

Thats true, its just hard at work atm.. Don't want to let my dad down on a saturday because I'm "fixing my exhaust" those idiots should of done it right the first time

Liverpool exhaust?

lol, those guys are hopeless..

I hate to say it bro, but it looks like you got ripped. you should have done more research, as there are plenty of systems available for half the price you paid.

If i coughed up that much for a system and a custom one at that, i would be on their doorstep telling them to fix it as it wasnt what you paid for.

Trust me man i know i did lol.. It was my first mod, wasnt thinking at all.. Im going to end up getting rid of the exhaust it annoys the shit out of me, just gonna go for a kakimoto regu like i should of done in the first place

like I mentioned earlier, they prey on kids

this is so true, I was 16 when I brought my car there for a full extractor back exhaust. a few weeks later I found out that my exhaust tapers from 3" to 2.5" in the middle, turns out they thought it was turbo and returned the car without letting me know what they had done.. couldn't get my money back

They thought mine was turbo too.. I had to explain not all s15's are turbo -.- ive got 2 months to fix it, dont need to cop defects for bs