Sign in to follow this  
Chappy

Amazon Web Services AWS - Cloud Server Hosting

Hey guys, i thought i should share with you my experiences with AWS over the last month.

For those of you that are not aware AWS is a cloud service run by Amazon.

You can use it for various purposes but the most prominent ones are cloud hosted storage and cloud hosted servers.

For the past month i have been running a Ventrilo server on AWS. You can host your server at various locations around the world, originally mine was based in California but last week the Sydney data center came online so i moved there.

Creating a server and getting it to the point that it is ready to be remoted into takes no more than 15 minutes.

Lets reflect on that for a minute, you can disregard just about all safety precautions and allow somebody to hack your server to pieces and the worst that can happen is you need to spend 15 minutes rebuilding it.

Now the pricing for AWS is absolutely insane. You do not pay for download, only upload which is charged at $0.19 per gigabyte. You also pay for the number of hours per month your server is running and the amount of storage it consumes. All of which can be worked out in their charges calculator.

Here's the kicker though, they have a no charge threshold that means you pay ZERO if you do not exceed it.

I have been working to stay below this threshold and so far i have succeeded. I have my own private cloud server that i can use to host anything i want and i pay nothing for it.

anyway if any of you are curious to check it out this is where you can find AWS:

http://aws.amazon.com/

You do need to provide a credit card when you sign up, but you can set charge alarms to notify you when you have passed a certain $ limit. I have alarms set on $1 and $5, neither have tripped yet.

If you would like to emulate what i have set up, this is my current server setup:

Type: t1-micro

Image size: 30gb

I had to make 2 small changes to the default security rules by adding the following rules:

Incoming TCP on port 3784

Incoming UDP on 3784

I also had to turn off Windows Firewall

To stay under the threshold you need to not exceed the following (but you can meet it)

1 micro server

30gb storage

750 hours a month usage (sufficient for one server to run all month).

Server snapshots (backups) will count towards your storage use, so one backup will double your storage and probably cost you a buck or two.

I chose not to make a backup of my server because of how basic it is.

That's a bit odd to set the cap at 750hrs/month... There's only 744hrs in a 31 day month? Or is it 750hrs per account and you cna run multiple servers out of an account?

Per account, and yes multiple servers per account.

It gives you the freedom to dick around with different machines and still not breach the cap.

You should check out aws beanstalk while your at it. (amazons own paas service), makes setting up and scaling things even easier.

If I opt to run ubuntu... and have lamp going will I need special odbc code in the php like on google's cloud? or i can just stick with the same dbopen stuff? Cos that looks pretty darned good. I currently use vps's on exigent and jumba and crucialp.

If I opt to run ubuntu... and have lamp going will I need special odbc code in the php like on google's cloud? or i can just stick with the same dbopen stuff? Cos that looks pretty darned good. I currently use vps's on exigent and jumba and crucialp.

Not too sure, i'm not that experienced with ubuntu.

But you could give it a go for free as a single micro server running ubuntu will not exceed the free threshold.

Seems like an Interesting service, i currently run a physical box for my mail systems would be good to move them to a Hyper V Hosted services with AWS.

Wouldnt bother moving my business website as i just dont have the time to also manage my own SQL Server + File System + Web Server on windows rather just pay some chumps to do that a few bucks a month haha.

Although after reading further... How did you manage to get a Server 08 R2 box to even work on 600mb of ram?

750 hours of Amazon EC2 Microsoft Windows Server Micro Instance usage (613 MB of memory and 32-bit and 64-bit platform support) – enough hours to run continuously each month*

Strip it down to essential services and it will run on 512

Although after reading further... How did you manage to get a Server 08 R2 box to even work on 600mb of ram?

750 hours of Amazon EC2 Microsoft Windows Server Micro Instance usage (613 MB of memory and 32-bit and 64-bit platform support) – enough hours to run continuously each month*

No idea, i just used the image that was pre built by AWS.

Runs great for me.

If you need more power it will cost you, but not a lot. Check out the cost calculator.

:Edit:

Screenshot attached.

AWS Micro Windows Datacntr.jpg

Edited by Chappy

So i setup my account tonight, went with Server 2012.. Confused as all hell in that OS mind you..

Going to spend another few hours here and there with setting it up as an exchange box then ill point my mailbox to it, at the moment ive just set TCP/UDP to any/any lol.. Very insecure but ill strip it back tomorrow once i begin to use it more.

Thanks for the find :D

AWS is awesome. I was involved in a project for an internship building an easy to use client UI that was based on the EC2 API through use of Ruby (RoR) and JS. It was amazing to see how easy it is to pull up a server, create new ones, edit older ones, shut them down, move them to different data centres etc. Like Chappy said, it's so simple to calculate costs and even with a low running cost you can still get a great server. It's a really smooth service and I was surprised that it had come so far so quickly (this was almost 3 years ago now).

Im still learning the whole Cost Calculator.

From what i can see EC2 Services dont work in Sydney, so if i do like the service i may just pay for it locally for a bit better response.

Just got a few domain names from friends so ill hopefully get stuck into the Exchange/AD part of it all this week, Server 2012 sure is different feels like im a 1st timer using a PC again haha!

Dont mind a $100-200 bill for a year if its quick and i can push beyond the basic 600mb ram and 30gb hdd as id like some backup of my data really!

Im still learning the whole Cost Calculator.

From what i can see EC2 Services dont work in Sydney, so if i do like the service i may just pay for it locally for a bit better response.

Just got a few domain names from friends so ill hopefully get stuck into the Exchange/AD part of it all this week, Server 2012 sure is different feels like im a 1st timer using a PC again haha!

Dont mind a $100-200 bill for a year if its quick and i can push beyond the basic 600mb ram and 30gb hdd as id like some backup of my data really!

They do have a Sydney datacenter, no sure why you are getting different info.

You can use as much space as you want and the server's scale upwards also.

How can i move my server to Sydney? Im still yet to find an area to move servers..

I shut it down before and then tried to click around but noticed i really didn't get any extra features of my instance..

dog-wearing-glasses.jpg

You cannot actually move the server.

You can create a snapshot of the server, then turn that snapshot into a stock image then generate a new server in the Sydney location with that stock image.

Or in my case, my server was so basic it was faster for me to re-create it in the Sydney location.