Sign in to follow this  
Robert137

Buy an S13 to learn? looking for ADVICE! - NOT USUAL QUESTION

Hey guys, new to nissan silvia and just looking for a bit of advice..

ive been on here while but never really made any posts.

im thinking about buying a S13(possibly r32) and doing a lot of DIY work just to learn a bit and understand how they work. Im new diy work and have never really done much with cars. im a young apprentice electrician, so im not exactly loaded with cash.

but im very interested in engine/mechanical sort of work and its something id love to do as a lifelong hobby.

bit of a weird question but here goes:

should I look for a cheap, running S13, not exacty in top engine condition, and learn to do a bit of DIY sort of stuff myself? Or should I spend a little more in looking for a good s13 that’s more reliable and then do it up myself,?

other thing is, or should I buy an R32 (Rb20), play with that and learn a little bit; and then eventually swap an SR into it? ;).…- doesn’t seem to be too many around and probably not experienced to that but R32’s are becoming harder to find and I just thought that would be a way to have an older/unique sort of car with an awesome setup.

(car will be more a weekender and project…. But cant be an absolute lemon that it wont run and be rendered undrivaeable lol)

ps, im new so don’t flame me, just looking for a bit of advice :)

thanks guys!

I'd buy one that works, straight up. From experience, if you buy someones shitbox, you can end up spending more money just chasing dumb problems. If you know ONE thing is broken/damaged/whatever, you might find every nut and bolt from there to the back of the car is loose, threaded, stripped, yeah. You spend as much time chasing dumb shit as you do fixing major problems.

S13 vs. R32 - matter of choice really. In the 80's, the R32 was designed to be a better car, not necessarily a better engine, but better chassis. Better suspension (double wishbone vs. macpherson strut). S13's were always a cheap car, and for kids. BUT S13's are lighter, and are going to feel smaller, and you might find some of the work to be simpler on them (especially working on the SR as opposed to the RB, assuming all standard piping in place). Much of a muchness, really. S13's probably cheaper and easier to live with, R32 will sound better. I've always wanted an R32, but I've gone through 4 silvia's simply because they keep jumping out at me.

The SR vs. RB argument is just a big can of worms on NS.

Have you found something you like? What's your budget? If you know someone with either one ask them to take you for a spin and go from there thats how i got hooked... before that i was into rally n wouldnt look twice at buying one. Just dont get somones pos and spend loads on fixing then sell to the 3rd person who gets all your hard work and $ (which happens a lot) :thumbsup:

Was basically in same boat as you champ.

Im an electrician, wanted a car to work on and then drift.

I bought a 180sx not running with countless problems. Spent 3-4hrs everyday fixing things, re doing bad work and getting it running again.

Spent alot of time and a bit of coin and i finished up with somthing alot better than i started. And the things you learn are handy.

Was a lot of work, effort and times when i wanted to give up. But would 100% do it again.

As for 13 vs 32. Preference really. Parts are easy enough to find for both. 32 might cost a bit more though.

I'd buy one that works, straight up. From experience, if you buy someones shitbox, you can end up spending more money just chasing dumb problems. If you know ONE thing is broken/damaged/whatever, you might find every nut and bolt from there to the back of the car is loose, threaded, stripped, yeah. You spend as much time chasing dumb shit as you do fixing major problems.

S13 vs. R32 - matter of choice really. In the 80's, the R32 was designed to be a better car, not necessarily a better engine, but better chassis. Better suspension (double wishbone vs. macpherson strut). S13's were always a cheap car, and for kids. BUT S13's are lighter, and are going to feel smaller, and you might find some of the work to be simpler on them (especially working on the SR as opposed to the RB, assuming all standard piping in place). Much of a muchness, really. S13's probably cheaper and easier to live with, R32 will sound better. I've always wanted an R32, but I've gone through 4 silvia's simply because they keep jumping out at me.

The SR vs. RB argument is just a big can of worms on NS.

yeah good point, thats what im afraid of doing! (buying absolute sh!tbox).. ill probably have to fork out more for a decent one:/

thanks for that info, from what ive read on NS, SR seems to be the go with most members here... i was thinking about which one i should choose and i thought about an R32 with an SR. There doesnt seem to be too much support or many users on this topic, but would you have any ideas as to what the swap consists of? surely everything cant be a simple bolt on and off is it a difficult swap? :o

Have you found something you like? What's your budget? If you know someone with either one ask them to take you for a spin and go from there thats how i got hooked... before that i was into rally n wouldnt look twice at buying one. Just dont get somones pos and spend loads on fixing then sell to the 3rd person who gets all your hard work and $ (which happens a lot) :thumbsup:

ermm i was deadset on an s13, just cause they seem cheap and a great way to start learning on etc. i own an NA Supra and wanted to finally go turbo, but not spend so much $$ (so the s13 seems perfect for my situation), but i do like the R32's shape, but im pretty keen on an SR, so im not too sure now haha. ill probs have about 6-7K to play around within the next few months, possibly more - just depends what comes up i guess.

i definitely dont want to buy someone elses problems though! :P

Was basically in same boat as you champ.

Im an electrician, wanted a car to work on and then drift.

I bought a 180sx not running with countless problems. Spent 3-4hrs everyday fixing things, re doing bad work and getting it running again.

Spent alot of time and a bit of coin and i finished up with somthing alot better than i started. And the things you learn are handy.

Was a lot of work, effort and times when i wanted to give up. But would 100% do it again.

As for 13 vs 32. Preference really. Parts are easy enough to find for both. 32 might cost a bit more though.

haha least im not the only one!:P

thats awesome man, i guess im just a bit hesitant on buying something really cheap and then dealing with all problems afterwards, but you probably learnt alot more dealing with them than just buying an already completed one:O

hmmmm, decisions decisions...

thanks for all your input guys, much appreciated!

SR R32 is one of the dream cars... hehe. You'll get hung, drawn and quartered for it, though. But same power as an RB20, but lighter, and all the weight sits in the back of the engine bay behind the wheels. Handling plus! A few guys have thrown away RB's and used SR skyline drift cars, despite all the hatemail the handling benefits were simply too good.

But, from the NS perspective:

If you sit on limiter, you'll blow up an SR20, or RB25

If you sit on limiter, nothing will happen to your RB20

RB20's are cheap

RB20's sound best

SR20's sound like a curious mixture of obnoxious and ruthless

Power is pretty much the same all round. Some things will cost more for RB's (like cams), but probably better second hand stuff (RB20 -> RB26 injectors + RB25 turbo = yeah)

Cost depends on how often you blow shit up, or didn't know you needed. SR's are fragile if you treat them bad, RB's have RB tax (look up prices for a 2JZ vs. RB26, despite what everything thinks is the "better" motor)

I'd stay away from an engine swap for the first project, though. Whatever you budget, add 50% for things you didn't think about, and 50% for things that went wrong. I'd still advise away from buying the cheapest one you can find, you'll end up going to wreckers and peoples houses chasing every second nut and bolt that was finger tight and fell off your car... assuming things like suspension were actually bolted to the body...

haha yeah ive been reading heaps about them:) something i want to do one day!.. is there any threads here on NS? i think ive only seen one:/

yeah definitely agree that an engine swap is not the smartest thing to do for a first project haha...

hmmm, starting to consider the rb more now lol.

if i plan to use the car as a weekender or the odd occasional drifter, what engine is better suited for reliabilty?

ive been reading plenty threads in the last 6 months that some people prefer RB's in the s13?, is that just due to less cost factor?

also, hate to ask this question, but what does a 'good' s13 or an R32 go for these days price wise? given that its not a pos, has rust or has previous chassis damage?

pretty keen on either one, so may as well aim for some benchmark;)

cheers wizard

Amen^^ i have spent the last few years chasing shit up for my car(s). Funnily enough though, it has been an enjoyable experience, meeting new people and getting things to work properly.

Wiz is right. Get the most complete car. It will save you time hunting things down, which leaves you more time to focus on the more important stuff that matters to you.

haha yeah ive been reading heaps about them:) something i want to do one day!.. is there any threads here on NS? i think ive only seen one:/

yeah definitely agree that an engine swap is not the smartest thing to do for a first project haha...

hmmm, starting to consider the rb more now lol.

if i plan to use the car as a weekender or the odd occasional drifter, what engine is better suited for reliabilty?

ive been reading plenty threads in the last 6 months that some people prefer RB's in the s13?, is that just due to less cost factor?

also, hate to ask this question, but what does a 'good' s13 or an R32 go for these days price wise? given that its not a pos, has rust or has previous chassis damage?

pretty keen on either one, so may as well aim for some benchmark;)

cheers wizard

had the 180 now as a weekender/drifter for a bit over a year and no engine problems to date (touch wood), everyone i know that has upgraded the engine has either gone a 2j or ls, purely for more torque and more reliable (easier) power (pushing over 350rwkw tends to let go pretty big when something goes wrong).

But as far as a starting point, it was recomended to me over an rb from every one i talked to, plus i got it nice and cheap =D

honestly dude. id set a budget (say6/7k) and pick up a r32 with the basics done (coils,diff,seat,fmic etc) and concentrate on learning how to slide it. rather than fixing it up.

the best bit about drifting is you will enivetibly break something, and itll need replacing.. so thats thr best time to learn.

slap a r33 turbo on it, nisstune etc and itll be around the 190kw mark. reliable, and sweet to learn in.

I'd buy one that works, straight up. From experience, if you buy someones shitbox, you can end up spending more money just chasing dumb problems.

This. It's good advice, particularly since it comes from the king of buying cars that don't work or understeer into trees.

;)

Mistake 1

Worst thing I did when buying my 32, was get a “cheap car”.

Learn from other peoples experience, buy a car that’s good from the go, save time (don’t worry plenty of things will go wrong with these cars for you to learn)

Mistake 2 (after)

Worst thing I did when buying my 15, was getting it totally stock.

Learn from others peoples experience, buy a car with mods, save money. A lot of money. A lot...

Mistake 3

Take my time in building both cars. I loose interest after 2 years. Want a new car.

Learn from others peoples experience, have goals and a time frames, AND set time to enjoy your ‘achievements of goals’.

Note goals don’t mean "complete a car", a car is never finished.

My 3cents worth.

Serious life shit now!

honestly dude. id set a budget (say6/7k) and pick up a r32 with the basics done (coils,diff,seat,fmic etc) and concentrate on learning how to slide it. rather than fixing it up.

the best bit about drifting is you will enivetibly break something, and itll need replacing.. so thats thr best time to learn.

slap a r33 turbo on it, nisstune etc and itll be around the 190kw mark. reliable, and sweet to learn in.

Having an undriveable car is KILLER. Especially when you're 100% addicted to cars that drive.

I'd buy one that works, straight up. From experience, if you buy someones shitbox, you can end up spending more money just chasing dumb problems.

This. It's good advice, particularly since it comes from the king of buying cars that don't work or understeer into trees.

wink.png

Hey... that car had suspenion-balance-ruining sparkles on it, you know that. Cheap shot.

Mistake 3

Take my time in building both cars. I loose interest after 2 years. Want a new car.

Learn from others peoples experience, have goals and a time frames, AND set time to enjoy your ‘achievements of goals’.

Never do jobs because you've "Gone this far" and "might as well", etc. It snowballs, and two years later you have a car on stands in the garage with no panels, no interior, no engine, and 10k worth of parts sitting in the living room waiting to go in. If the car is running, only do mods that NEED to be done, or can be done within a day.

Hey... that car had suspenion-balance-ruining sparkles on it, you know that. Cheap shot.

Haha. And the sparkly wing mirror lives on in my Nissan paperweight. Don't suppose you still have the other sparkly mirror? Even out the gay on both sides of the car...

Edited by pmod

thought i responded to this...sorry dudes!

Serious life shit now!

Having an undriveable car is KILLER. Especially when you're 100% addicted to cars that drive.

;)

Mistake 3

Never do jobs because you've "Gone this far" and "might as well", etc. It snowballs, and two years later you have a car on stands in the garage with no panels, no interior, no engine, and 10k worth of parts sitting in the living room waiting to go in. If the car is running, only do mods that NEED to be done, or can be done within a day.

Mistake 1

Worst thing I did when buying my 32, was get a “cheap car”.

Learn from other peoples experience, buy a car that’s good from the go, save time (don’t worry plenty of things will go wrong with these cars for you to learn)

Mistake 2 (after)

Worst thing I did when buying my 15, was getting it totally stock.

Learn from others peoples experience, buy a car with mods, save money. A lot of money. A lot...

great advice guys... i definitely will spend a bit more rather than get the cheapest one i can find and clean it all up. i plan to own the car for quite a while (assuming theres nothing terribly wrong with the car), and i will be looking to make it pretty responsive (and torquey!;) )

I dont want too much downtime (no point having an undriveable car) and therefore reliability is a must, so im probably swinging towards the sr20 route. Just due to the fact that there is so much more forum/tech support, more parts available, easier to work on (so ive heard), mod response, and theyre a cheaper car, with plenty availability... ive done a bit of homework and im pretty keen and sold on an s13, but im not sure when i bring in the option of an rb20 R32, however im a bit hesitant on the amount of support and lack of parts available for the rb... hmmm

my best bet would probably test drive both i think lol.

would you guys agree? or would any of you guys make any recommendations as to what to choose, based on my purposes? if that made sense....

i know im probs playing with fire when i bring in the rb vs sr argument lol -_-

thanks

If u have the skill to put a shit box together then go for it

If u don't have the skill and your still learning its not a good idea

U will end up becoming the next rally or what ever his name is

Some one link him to that joke of a build thread

I don't view build threads (cbf anymore) please link i needs lols

It was RALLYE, and iirc he deleted the build thread. It was rather entertaining though, particularly the part where he sold his car because "he and his brothers were going to buy their mum a house because she has only ever rented", which got respect until we realised he was 16 and working at Woolworths, or something along those lines. House was a pipe dream at best.

Man, that kid was a serial pest. Every week he would SMS me, asking 30 questions about a part I had for sale. Followed by lowball. Followed by slightly less insulting lowball. Followed by "I'll get back to you". Then the next week he'd forget he'd ever spoken to me, and start again with another item.

And trying to get someone to weld in a new radiator support, for $3.25.

And trying to sell the car with a smashed radiator support, and not listing it in the ad.

And telling people it was fine for him to do so.

And getting aggressive when people pointed out he'd probably get a punch in the face for not telling people til they turned up to inspect the car...

I kept meeting people in random places, talking about lowballing scum, and getting told about some "Rallye guy off JDMST/NS/random car forum". Promising young kid.

Hahaha.

Anyone read it and knows how to use Google cache?

Google will have his thread still stored in the system even if he’s deleted it.

But you have to really know what you’re looking for to be able to find it, so I can’t do it :(

Edited by Suspop

Hahaha.

Anyone read it and knows how to use Google cache?

Google will have his thread still stored in the system even if he’s deleted it.

But you have to really know what you’re looking for to be able to find it, so I can’t do it :(

All that's left is this.

http://www.nissansil...?showuser=72476

Rallye deleted the thread when selling the car/wreck, and changed his user ID to Jonny85. Without the URL, you really don't have much of a chance of finding it. I did however find these classics:

Flammable: http://www.racelinee...1

Cambers: http://nissansilvia....%20cambers&st=0

Edited by pmod

I just read through that whole flammable thread. Man what an anti climax, I feel depressed now.

And trying to get someone to weld in a new radiator support, for $3.25.

yeah that was me dude

It was RALLYE, and iirc he deleted the build thread. It was rather entertaining though, particularly the part where he sold his car because "he and his brothers were going to buy their mum a house because she has only ever rented", which got respect until we realised he was 16 and working at Woolworths, or something along those lines. House was a pipe dream at best.

remember the council sending him letters to get his heap of shit of the side of the road

idiot thought he could build a car from a rolling shelll on the side of the street :lol:

u can find the rallye thread on JDMST

Are you able to post a link by any chance? No luck with Google and whilst I could create an account there, all the skinny jeans and illest stickers put me off.