Sign in to follow this  
sid280

There is organic matter and water on Mercury!

The difference between science and religion is that if a scientist finds evidence to support religion he will change his theory, If a religious person finds evidence that contradicts his religion he will say god did it to test his faith.

That's a very naive view.

About scientists

I know this is not a religious thread but here goes.

I dont believe in god, but i believe in people needing to believe in something.

I find a lot of Atheists just as bad as religious people. They are hell bent on

trying to prove God does not exist and push their belief onto people who do

believe in god.

what do i believe?

I believe the Galaxy, and other galaxies are to vast to say there is no other life. I believe our world and others will go through transition periods

as the sun goes through its life cycle. I believe that thousands if not millions of years of evolution took place to be what we are now. and that

this evolution has not stopped.

I believe religious people have the right to believe in what they believe in.

Also i believe in pokemon

believe in god.

I see this complaint all the time, and it is bullshit.

There is a big difference between pushing your beliefs on somebody and calling them out on bullshit.

If you go into the tech section and start claiming that you believe the Commodore is the finest piece of machinery ever made and a stock LS1 can decimate any Japanese car no matter how modified or how heavy the LS1's car is, you will get called out and flamed to bits for preaching bullshit.

It is commonly accepted that this belief would be bullshit because of overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

The same applies to any other belief, so why the f**k should religion be off limits?

Preaching about how your fictional story book should dictate the worlds politics, with no factual basis for your beliefs is just asking to be called out.

It doesn't matter what religion the critics follow, they have every right to call you out when you talk shit.

If a person produced religious beliefs with solid facts to back them up, and then i started preaching Atheism to them anyway, that would be forcing my beliefs on them.

Calling Cambers out on his worship of a magical sky santa is not forcing my beliefs on him, it is calling him out on yet another bullshit post.

You have the right to believe what you want, but when you voice it, expect to get criticised.

:edit:

Also, the only reason you see more Atheists preaching on the internet than Theists is because bullshit does not work on the internet.

In a forum argument, circular arguments and hollow facts crumble very quickly, and the common churchie strategy of talking over your opponent does not work either.

Because of this, Theists regularly have their arguments torn to shreds on the internet and many of them give up talking about the topic at all. Theists outnumber Atheists even on the internet, they are just afraid to speak because they know they will get owned.

Edited by Chappy

believe in god.

what do i believe?

I believe the Galaxy, and other galaxies are to vast to say there is no other life. I believe our world and others will go through transition periods

as the sun goes through its life cycle. I believe that thousands if not millions of years of evolution took place to be what we are now. and that

this evolution has not stopped.

So you're an athiest? :lol:

Also, for your enjoyment (profanity warning):

I call myself nothing lol

I class athiesest as those who will go out of their way to "prove" to anyone who believes in god that they are wrong.

I tell people i will live my life how i want and then on my death bed repent all my sins just in case.

:lol:

Always good to keep your options open :lol: although some religions see this as the religious equivalent of polygamy, so be careful :P

I class athiesest as those who will go out of their way to "prove" to anyone who believes in god that they are wrong.

I just call that an Atheist/Antitheist who cares about humanity. I personally think society would be significantly more advanced were religion binned, as it's done nothing but stunt progress. You name it, it's been done in the name of a God - burning books, destroying facilities, outlawing science, killing researchers, introducing caste systems, stifling discussion, committing genocide, etc. Therefore if the topic comes up, I'll happily debate it with people, as the only way to stop the idea is to either outlaw it, kill all the believers, or have believers stop believing of their own accord. We all know what the best option is, but helping believers change their mind is just so much less work.

The problem with most atheists is they think they are smart for being atheists, as if somehow it takes a genius to believe the guys who are responsible for almost every man made product around you and can actually explain their theories and reproduce or point to examples to verify them (scientists, for those playing at home), over people who believe a talking snake is why the world isn't perfect.

Most atheists are stupid, most people are stupid, it doesn't take intellect to believe in common sense, it just takes a lack of conditioning in most instances. Yet it makes them feel smart that they follow a similar belief to many who are smart, so they act superior, even when they are just as stupid as your common christian.

Edited by nisskid

The problem with most atheists is they think they are smart for being atheists, as if somehow it takes a genius to believe the guys who are responsible for almost every man made product around you and can actually explain their theories and reproduce or point to examples to verify them (scientists, for those playing at home), over people who believe a talking snake is why the world isn't perfect.

Most atheists are stupid, most people are stupid, it doesn't take intellect to believe in common sense, it just takes a lack of conditioning in most instances. Yet it makes them feel smart that they follow a similar belief to many who are smart, so they act superior, even when they are just as stupid as your common christian.

Summed it up perfectly.

This is true for everyone though.

Christians believe that they're smarter than everyone else because they "know the truth" and will be saved.

Athiests are arrogant because everyone else is too dumb to realise.

Agnostics are arrogant because everyone else is dumb for arguing.

No matter where you fall, there's always a group of people who are arrogant because they're confident in what they think.

This is more due to the large discrepency in ideas than anything else. It's simply a case of no matter which one you pick, a large number of other people become immediately wrong. This is pretty rare in the world.

If:

Atheists are right 90% of people in the world are wrong.

Agnostics are right, everyone in the world is wrong (agnostics are generally the smuggest group)

Christians are right ~50% of the world is wrong.

Jews are right 90% of the world is wrong

Muslims are right ~50% of the world is wrong.

There's no other issue so dividing, that's why people are so arrogant, because the stakes are high and they're really confident.

If we were talking about say, bigfoot, nobody is really that arrogant, because chances are you're on the 99.99% side of things that says bigfoot is bullshit, there's nothing to gain by being 100% proven right.

You could be as dumb as a post, but if you saw a person praying to a packet of beef jerky to make their problems go away, you would still feel smarter than them.

depends if their only problem in life was hunger for beej jerky, in that case, they win o.O

What if we're all computer simulations?

What if men are actually women and women are actually plants?

What if there is no such thing as "space" and the ceiling of earth is merely a rotating painting?

What if everything tastes like chicken, but chicken tastes like fish?

What if God was one of us?

In all serious though i'm in the same boat as Dandrenat, I don't believe in God or any one religion but believe in something . I think it's good to have faith in a "higher power" cause it helps get you through the tough times.

I'm all for Science and common sense and believe that religion has done nothing good for the human race but create war & hatred.

I think it's good to have faith in a "higher power" cause it helps get you through the tough times.

I'm all for Science and common sense and believe that religion has done nothing good for the human race but create war & hatred.

So you think it is good to have faith in a higher power but you acknowledge that having such a faith has resulted in nothing but war?

Does that mean you think war is good?

depends if their only problem in life was hunger for beej jerky, in that case, they win o.O

Touche

Edited by Chappy

I think it's good to have faith in a "higher power" cause it helps get you through the tough times.

So you think it is good to have faith in a higher power but you acknowledge that having such a faith has resulted in nothing but war?

Does that mean you think war is good?

Touche

No I don't and I'm not gonna write a book about what I believe in or preach it to millions ppl either.

Nice way to twist my words :thumb:

You could be as dumb as a post, but if you saw a person praying to a packet of beef jerky to make their problems go away, you would still feel smarter than them.

what if they were brought into a world where all they knew was beef jerky being their god? Theories are only as credible as the reality they are in, back in the 1800's there were many "scientists" who believed in things that we would now consider dumb, extremely smart people believing in extremely dumb things. Conditioning is essentially creating an alternate reality, yes you may live in a era of accessible enlightenment, but when you are 4 it doesn't matter how smart you are, your belief system is almost purely controlled by the people around you.

If i told you beef jerky was god, you'd call me an idiot, because in your reality that you have developed for many different reasons, evidence is what matters and since you have access to an array of it, from that perspective the most likely theory is beef jerky isn't god. That is YOUR reality, everyone's reality is different, there is no singular reality which is true as the only thing that defines a reality is the individual observer. a lot are very similar, but many are much different. A smart person observes their reality, a curious person question's their reality, a wise person's broadens their reality. The fact is you can be as smart as you want, but if you have little control over your reality, your observations, opinions and conclusions are always going to be closed.

If you had 2 people, one brought up in a normal secular household with good education and access to information at your finger tips, the other brought up in a poor neighbourhood of Iraq in a fanatically muslim family, there is nothing to say one is smarter than the other, one might be considered more enlightened or wise to the diversity of religions, but the fact that one is muslim and one is atheist is more of a result of environment and conditioning, rather than how smart they are. This is an extreme example, but i know i was brought up in a secular household, with secular friends, it was easy for me to become an atheist/agnostic, for someone brought up in a heavily religious family, their reality is their religion, to shake off and completely flip your reality and become an atheist/agnostic takes a lot more work, and for some they simply don't care enough to actively seek enlightenment, belief is enough for them.

Cambers on the other hand, he's just retarded.

Edited by nisskid

In all serious though i'm in the same boat as Dandrenat, I don't believe in God or any one religion but believe in something . I think it's good to have faith in a "higher power" cause it helps get you through the tough times.

Beef Jerky will do more to help you through tough times than a higher power. Chappy could be onto something...

Beef Jerky will do more to help you through tough times than a higher power. Chappy could be onto something...

hahaha, yeah beef Jerky is pretty good but not that rubbery fake supermarket crap.

im not posting again in here until they find traces of Beef Jerky on Mercury

hahaha, yeah beef Jerky is pretty good but not that rubbery fake supermarket crap.

Straight up. Only natures finest.

death-in-the-desert_resize-600x433.jpg

Straight up. Only natures finest. death-in-the-desert_resize-600x433.jpg

Stop making me hungry!!!

This is how they do it in Maine. Gotta trap the meat and protect it from the elements so it can dry at an even rate.

deerhit.jpg

Yeah it's a deer, but it's free and that's what matters.

Edited by pmod

deer is awesome. One of the best meats getting around. I hope they find deer on Mercury so I can go hunting there and have a cool reality TV series called Space Deer Hunter where I fly around in a space helicopter nailing deer with a .50MW laser rifle.

I opened this thread on the bus expecting serious conversation and now i cant stop giggling like a schoolgirl. f**k you all :lol:

Couldn't find better words...

the biggest problem is people judging people based on their stated beliefs instead of on their actions.

I make no attempt to hide that I'm a christian, but I don't go yelling it from the rooftops either.

Here's the thing. People who have met me, Chappy included, have no issue with how I talk, how I act or how I present myself. The fact that I'm a Christian should have no bearing on his opinion of me. Now I can't speak for Chappy, but I would feel comfortable to say he thinks I'm fair chilled.

If people stopped looking at the superficial things, and focused on how people are in REAL life, things might be a little better. Just don't judge someone solely for saying they are "insert anything here"

This is my approach to people, and so far I feel I'm doing ok...