Sign in to follow this  
Goodsy

Strange problem with Amp and Speakers

Started having a very strange problem with my speakers in my car and haven't been able to find anything to discribes the problems that been happening

I thought I had blown a couple of speakers up in my car as they weren't working properly but today I went out and bought brand new top of the line pioneers speakers to replace them and the problem is occuring with the new speakers

I have all my speakers running off a clarion 4 channel 450w Amp and both my Right front and right rear speakers seem to be getting stuck, the tweeters will work fine (front has 6 1/2 splits and rear are 6x9's) but at low volume the cone wont move but when I turn it up to a resonable volume the cone will raise to full excurson and kind of just go up and down about once every two seconds or just stay there and when at high volume it will just stay there pumped out.....I have no idea what could do this but eyes are on the amp

Also when I unplug the RC's for the speakers in question and music is playing you can hear a slight crackle every now and then.....I figure when the RC's are disconected the speaker wouldn't receive any signal at all so wouldn't make a crackle sound

I have checked all wiring exept behind the headunit as I didn't have time to pull it out tonight and everything so far looks to be in order

Has anyone experianced anything like this before?

Spent most of the day and night searching for some kind of clue to what is happening and nothing remotely like mine has come up

Any help would be great

Cheers, Aaron

Check the earths on all speakers and amp also check the settings on the amp ie freq

could be faulty av cable going from head deck to amp. Sometimes the wires break inside the av cable and cause funny problems.

Checked the earths and they are all good, all the av cables are brand new less than two weeks old but it is a possiblily.....would mean that both would be broken on the right side speakers though if it was

It came good for a few hours today but then went back to misbehaving tonight

Kind of thinking the amp may be stuffed but even thats only a year and a half old and hasn't had much abuse

Its like the amp give the speaker full power and it extends to full excursion but there is no signal to create a rhyme

Spoke to 6 audio shops and fitters today and they are stumped

Anyone got any sure fire way to tell me if the amp needs replacing

have u pulled ur head deck out and had a look at whats goin on behind it there's gotta be something simple causing this noise, coz if u think about it, theres power, earth, remote, and av cable that go to the amp. Thats it. I would pull that amp out, put another one in and crank it and see if it plays normally, that will eliminate the amp from the problem, then if it still does it, replace av cables (dont buy cheap ones as they break trust me its happened to me on numerous occasions right out of the packet) and if its not the amp or av cables i would be replacing speaker wire to affected speakers.

Checked the earths and they are all good, all the av cables are brand new less than two weeks old but it is a possiblily.....would mean that both would be broken on the right side speakers though if it was

It came good for a few hours today but then went back to misbehaving tonight

Kind of thinking the amp may be stuffed but even thats only a year and a half old and hasn't had much abuse

Its like the amp give the speaker full power and it extends to full excursion but there is no signal to create a rhyme

Spoke to 6 audio shops and fitters today and they are stumped

Anyone got any sure fire way to tell me if the amp needs replacing

Could have an erratic short in the amp. Easiest test is to drag some computer speakers over (may need a 3.5mm > RCA adapter) along with an extension cord, and test all the RCA leads. Replace any faulty ones.

Next, take a known working house speaker and plug it into each output socket on the amp. If some outputs don't work [after verifying and connecting the RCA leads], then the amp is likely the cause, so just replace it or get it fixed under warranty. You can disassemble and replace components, or stick it in an oven to reflow the solder and eliminate dry joints, but in most cases it just isn't worth it. Just junk it and start over.

Edited by pmod

Pulled the head deck out and sussed what I could behind there, RCA leads I use are stinger ones which set me back $40 each and the other for the sub is a sony one which came in a amp install pack

Problems hasn't happened the last day and abit so haven't been able to test much, tried a household speaker into the rca jacks and it is all working at the moment so not sure what to think

I am still leaning towards the amp so will proberly replace it next week if I can't crack the problem by then

Checked all speaker wire to effected speakers and its all good, just have to wait to the issue happens again so I can can do more investigating

Thanks for your time guys