Sign in to follow this  
Trinh

ticking sound near inlet manifold

I just put a new SR20det engine in my 180 and i started it up today, the battery was dead so i jump started it, first things i noticed was it idled real low, about 500rpm, this could be because i haven't had a tune yet (i've added a heap of upgrades, fuel pump, injectors, ecu, turbo, afm).

Another thing i noticed was a pretty loudish ticking noise coming from around the inlet manifold, at first i thought it might've been a cable flapping about but i grabbed onto everything and nothing stopped it.

Also, at first it ran fine apart from those two issues above but i then shut it off and started it again a few times and it would just die straight away, is that cos the battery is so dead or is it another issue?

I'm going to try and pull each injector and see if it changes the noise at all and i'm going to check for any leaks around the manifold. Is there anything else i should be checking or I can do?

link to video of sound:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5Ns5KlNDr8

Cheers

Sounds like my mates engine a while back, slack in the timing chain - replace tensioner

Edited by GFUNK

i've checked and can't seem to find any leaks, sprayed some soapy water over it and couldn't find anything. I was finally able to rev the engine after it heated up and as i revved it up I couldn't hear the ticking sound anymore

i've checked and can't seem to find any leaks, sprayed some soapy water over it and couldn't find anything. I was finally able to rev the engine after it heated up and as i revved it up I couldn't hear the ticking sound anymore

Probably the timing chain slapping the upper guide. Not enough oil pressure in the tensioner at idle, so it slackens the chain. Their fairly cheap and it's an easy job.

i changed out the timing chain tensioner and it seems to have gotten rid of the major ticking noise, so thanks to GFunk for that suggestion