Sign in to follow this  
buoy

Things you hate but everyone else seems to like?

on the topic of fps. why can i have the left stick to walk backwards and forwards/ turn left and right, and the right stick to look up and down/strafe?????? it always used to be like that. what changed? i can't even play fps anymore.

Pretty sure you can reverse it?

reverse what?

Cheese.

Pasta.

Spaghetti.

Meme-esque phrases or Internet jargon, particularly when said in real live.

Kids that say "lol", "roflcopter", etc in real life. They exist, I have encountered them and they deserve a headbutt. The sad thing is that the other retards around them think that type of reply is in some way sophisticated or classy.

Standard replies like "U mad bro?", "Cool story bro", "Do you even lift?", etc. Good job man, you saved characters and the use of a few neurons. You know what would have saved even more? Not replying with unoriginal bullsh*t, that wasn't funny when the original guy said it, and usually isn't even used in the correct context. When said in real life, headbutts are in order.

The phrasing "xxxxxx thing is xxxxxx", for instance "angry cat is angry". I had a housemate once who would use this type of line, presumably for lack of something witty to say. No sh*t asshole, thanks for repeating an obvious observation for me, then treating it like a punchline. Even Jerry Seinfeld would be embarrassed of that.

Referring to the acronym 'SQL' (Structured Query Language) as "SEQUEL". Cannot seem to escape this crap at work. My view is that if you have to double the number of characters to make the acronym seem like a word, you've failed in your efforts to streamline the English language.

Calling people "matey". I have a very strong dislike of the colloquialism "mate", but wtf is with this varient? The only time that should be used is if you're talking to a pirate or a child, and since most of the Sudanese are in Victoria and not NSW, f**k off. I can only assume people like it, since the people who say it don't appear to have ever suffered a broken nose.

Ahh. Good rant. :)

Edited by pmod

Referring to the acronym 'SQL' (Structured Query Language) as "SEQUEL". Cannot seem to escape this crap at work..

god i hope that doesnt start at my work

its just like www/world wide web

Referring to the acronym 'SQL' (Structured Query Language) as "SEQUEL". Cannot seem to escape this crap at work. My view is that if you have to double the number of characters to make the acronym seem like a word, you've failed in your efforts to streamline the English language.

this one drove me up the f**king wall at my old job, mainly because we actually had the SEQUEL software and the powers that be made no effort to distinguish between SEQUEL and SQL.

Referring to the acronym 'SQL' (Structured Query Language) as "SEQUEL". Cannot seem to escape this crap at work..

^Or 'dub-dub-dub'.

C# being referred to as 'C Hash'.

Actionscript. Horrible language for making anything other than small animations.

Edited by normality

^Or 'dub-dub-dub'.

bingo!

i just call it "see"

but see hash, lol

I hate how I can't buy a proper t-shirt or jeans anymore.

The neck hole is too big and low-cut, and jeans are too f**king tight!

Same with shorts. Unless they're pastel-coloured and only cover half your thight, you're f**ked.

I hate all the guys that wear that shit, and all those other fags that dress up like the school dork. Why aren't these people being bashed like they used to? For f**k's sake, at least put a "kick me: sign on their backs!

+1

best!

^Or 'dub-dub-dub'.

This. When I advise clients of a URL, I always say "triple-w dot whatever dot com". I refuse to say the same freakin three-syllable character three times like an idiot. Truth be told in most cases I shouldn't even have to say it, but sadly a lot of the people out there are painfully incapable of free thought, or at least that's what it seems like to me.

Additional related annoyances are:

People who ask if there's a "dot au" at the end of a "dot com" URL they've just been told. FFS man, you were so hopeless I had to read out to you the entire URL, including the HTTP. If it was AU, I would have said so.

People who seek confirmation for EVERY action. Read to them a URL and they ask if they should click Go. Tell them field contents and they ask if they should click next. Send them documentation and they ask if they should read it. Some conversations I've had with clients have been straight out of Monty Python, and it leaves you wondering how on Earth they were employed as IT manager or FC.

Professional IT staff who fail to read any part of a manual and then seek assistance with an installation. I had one guy contact me to find out whether I could give him more simplistic instructions to install a particular application, and sent me a copy of what he was given. Had one look and asked him if he had read it, to which he said no. It was a 70 page document that contained purely screenshots of every installation screen for every application installed on that site, with all fields customised to suit. Advised him that sorry, that document can't really be made any easier.

Edited by pmod

Professional IT staff who fail to read any part of a manual and then seek assistance with an installation. I had one guy contact me to find out whether I could give him more simplistic instructions to install a particular application, and sent me a copy of what he was given. Had one look and asked him if he had read it, to which he said no. It was a 70 page document that contained purely screenshots of every installation screen for every application installed on that site, with all fields customised to suit. Advised him that sorry, that document can't really be made any easier.

Tell him to LFS see how it goes. Then wait for his resignation letter.

People who seek confirmation for EVERY action. Read to them a URL and they ask if they should click Go. Tell them field contents and they ask if they should click next. Send them documentation and they ask if they should read it.

no no no

This is what you want your tech support customers to do, exactly what you tell them and nothing else. I f**king wish the few people I did support for would listen to what I say instead of just assuming they know how to fix the problem once I've explained it to them.

Tell him to LFS see how it goes. Then wait for his resignation letter.

Nah, I think he felt stupid enough when it dawned on him. Hopefully it was cause for personal reflection.

Professional IT staff who fail to read any part of a manual and then seek assistance with an installation.

there was a manual?

i never read the manual.

People who seek confirmation for EVERY action. Read to them a URL and they ask if they should click Go. Tell them field contents and they ask if they should click next. Send them documentation and they ask if they should read it.

no no no

This is what you want your tech support customers to do, exactly what you tell them and nothing else. I f**king wish the few people I did support for would listen to what I say instead of just assuming they know how to fix the problem once I've explained it to them.

Depends what you are dealing with. Any time you have to guide a customer from memory through a problem, it can be pretty darn frustrating. A really simple example would be a customer installing something, and you ask them to click 'Next', but they tell you they can't find the 'Next' button. Five minutes of them searching around the screen, and you starting the process from scratch and getting stuck again, they tell you that they can see a 'Continue' button.

This is just one example of the stupid I deal with daily. Would much rather talk to a customer who is a bit eager, than a fool who need guidance through every step.

Edited by normality

no no no

I know what you mean, however there's a limit. I shouldn't have to repeat simple and obvious things to anyone who calls themselves an IT professional (and yet I do), and whilst users vary in competence, I expect them to at least be able to follow instructions that a 6-year-old could handle (doesn't happen). As an example, here's an excerpt from one from one of the most retarded dialogues I've had, albeit I've toned down how hopeless it was, and you need to add his heavy Indian accent for full effect. He wasn't trolling, nor have I exaggerated.

Me: Open the Start menu, select All programs, xxxx. Click on the Setup shortcut.

Client: So I open?

Me: Yes. Launch the Setup shortcut.

Client: I don't have it?

Me: Are you in the Start menu group?

Client: No.

Me: Click on the Start menu.

Client: So I click it?

Me: Yes. Now select All Programs.

Client: So I go to the Start menu?

Me: Yes. Click on the Start button.

Client: Ok. Then where I go?

Me: Select All Programs.

Me: Yes. Click on All Programs.

Me: Now find xxxx

Client: It's not there?

Me: They may not be in alphabetical order. Just look through the list.

Client: No, it's not there.

Me: Please read the list to me from the top.

Client: *Reads list* a , b, c, d, e, xxxx, f, g...

Me: Ok, click on xxxx.

Client: But it's not there.

Me: It's 6th from the top.

Client: *very long pause* Oh ok. Do I click it?

Me: Yes. Click on it, then click on Setup.

Client: The shortcut?

Me: Yes, click on the Setup shortcut.

Client: So I run it?

Me: Yes. Run the shortcut, then log in.

Client: It asks me login detail?

Me: Enter your login details.

Client: So I put in my account?

Me: Yes. Enter your username and password.

Client: So which password do I enter?

Me: Please enter the one that matches the user account you entered in that screen.

Client: So I enter them?

Me: Yes. Enter the account and password.

Client: Ok. What I do then?

Me: Click OK.

Me: Yes.

Every call from him was like this, and it got to the point that it was so sad and there was so much wtf it was both hilarious and left you in a state of awe.

Edited by pmod

bahahahha

we charge $180-$250 / hour in 30 minute increments for support.

the longer they take the better :)

The pigs...

I really don't know why people keep sticking up for them, sayin shit like "they're just doing their job".

Fvucking bullshit!!!!!

You see the smug sense of self satisfaction in there faces when they're handing out tickets, the condescending god complex in the way they speak to people, the fact that they get visably angry when they can't find something to defect you for. if they're just doing their job, why are they angry, if the car is roadworthy, why do they care, they should be happy.

About 10 years ago i used to have a neighbor who was a cop and he used to brag about how he use to love working saturday nights because of all the fights because it gave him a chance to use his capsicum spray on people. WTF!!!! this sort of attitude has no place in policing. if you worked as a doorman or something like that, you wouldn't last long in the job with an attitude like that but it seems to be pretty common place for the pigs. There was recently a study into which jobs were most likely to attract psychopaths and the police force ranked number seven. And here we are giving them more powers not to mention fvcking guns...

Apparently there are suppose to be good cops out there, but i'd be fvcked if i've met any lately. in my opinion the various police departments around australia are a fvcking disgrace.

i always cop shit when i say this but i don't care anymore because as far as i'm concerned my feelings are perfectly justified.

fvck the police!!!!

Edited by sweepa

I've met one good 2 good cops, genuine nice people, the rest though.. "too much nissansilvia.com.."

The pigs...

I really don't know why people keep sticking up for them, sayin shit like "they're just doing their job".

Fvucking bullshit!!!!!

You see the smug sense of self satisfaction in there faces when they're handing out tickets, the condescending god complex in the way they speak to people, the fact that they get visably angry when they can't find something to defect you for. if they're just doing their job, why are they angry, if the car is roadworthy, why do they care, they should be happy.

About 10 years ago i used to have a neighbor who was a cop and he used to brag about how he use to love working saturday nights because of all the fights because it gave him a chance to use his capsicum spray on people. WTF!!!! this sort of attitude has no place in policing. if you worked as a doorman or something like that, you wouldn't last long in the job with an attitude like that but it seems to be pretty common place for the pigs. There was recently a study into which jobs were most likely to attract psychopaths and the police force ranked number seven. And here we are giving them more powers not to mention fvcking guns...

Apparently there are suppose to be good cops out there, but i'd be fvcked if i've met any lately. in my opinion the various police departments around australia are a fvcking disgrace.

i always cop shit when i say this but i don't care anymore because as far as i'm concerned my feelings are perfectly justified.

fvck the police!!!!

I'm with you. I would have to say that all of the dealings I've had with cops, except for one, was dealing with people who should not be in the job. Police are also the only ones in the emergency forces who incessantly whinge about their jobs and everyone pats them on the back and gives them the "oh poor you" speech. Who has to wash people off the road? Ambulance officers and the Fire Brigade. Who has to rescue/cut people/bodies from wreckages? Ambulance officers and Fire Birgade. Who has to deal with the aftermath of domestic violence? Ambulance officers. The Police force now provides no worth to the people. Every phone/conversation ends with "We're powerless", "We can't do anything about it", "Call your insurance company" yet Police have more power and more laws on their side than ever before.

I've met one good 2 good cops, genuine nice people, the rest though.. "too much nissansilvia.com.."

is that a new swearing filter response? :lol:

The pigs... I really don't know why people keep sticking up for them, sayin shit like "they're just doing their job". Fvucking bullshit!!!!! You see the smug sense of self satisfaction in there faces when they're handing out tickets, the condescending god complex in the way they speak to people, the fact that they get visably angry when they can't find something to defect you for. if they're just doing their job, why are they angry, if the car is roadworthy, why do they care, they should be happy. About 10 years ago i used to have a neighbor who was a cop and he used to brag about how he use to love working saturday nights because of all the fights because it gave him a chance to use his capsicum spray on people. WTF!!!! this sort of attitude has no place in policing. if you worked as a doorman or something like that, you wouldn't last long in the job with an attitude like that but it seems to be pretty common place for the pigs. There was recently a study into which jobs were most likely to attract psychopaths and the police force ranked number seven. And here we are giving them more powers not to mention fvcking guns... Apparently there are suppose to be good cops out there, but i'd be fvcked if i've met any lately. in my opinion the various police departments around australia are a fvcking disgrace. i always cop shit when i say this but i don't care anymore because as far as i'm concerned my feelings are perfectly justified. fvck the police!!!!
I'm with you. I would have to say that all of the dealings I've had with cops, except for one, was dealing with people who should not be in the job. Police are also the only ones in the emergency forces who incessantly whinge about their jobs and everyone pats them on the back and gives them the "oh poor you" speech. Who has to wash people off the road? Ambulance officers and the Fire Brigade. Who has to rescue/cut people/bodies from wreckages? Ambulance officers and Fire Birgade. Who has to deal with the aftermath of domestic violence? Ambulance officers. The Police force now provides no worth to the people. Every phone/conversation ends with "We're powerless", "We can't do anything about it", "Call your insurance company" yet Police have more power and more laws on their side than ever before.

i think it's largely got to do with the police needing to "act" as a business instead of being there to "protect and serve"

If they stopped this stupid change, and went back to being a government funded resource to actually reduce crime and protect and serve the community again, people would have more respect for them.

It's a bloody shame the police have turned themselves into the biggest *milkshakes* second only to politicians in Australia.

I remember as a kid, we where told to seek out the police if we got lost, found lost property, saw something happen ect... These days I'll avoid cops where possible, and my dealings with them have all been around them trying to screw money out of you.

my g/f got pulled over on the way back from robe, in the middle of f**king no where, the cop then accused her of using her phone. We had 3 phones in the car, none of them had any signal for the past hour and would not get anymore till we got into tailem bend. The cop stopped short of us having to show him our phones to prove our point.

Honestly, the older I get the more I hate the Police. I've met a couple of decent ones and known a few (complete d*ckheads though)... just really can't stand cops these days.

The icing on the cake for my disdain for them was after a business partner of my father's knocked on the door at 10pm to ask for advice (he had committed a crime and was worried about Police brutality if he turned himself in), the Police grilled my old man about the details, ultimately advising him that had he NOT urged his partner to go to the Police, they would have arrested and charged my old man. I've had my issues on the road with them, but when they're willing to charge a blatantly innocent man for another man's crime, then they can get f**ked imo.

Edited by pmod

(he had committed a crime and was worried about Police brutality if he turned himself in)

Did said crime involve robbing a dohnut shop?

OT: Liquorice. I don't know why but I've just never liked it.

The pigs... I really don't know why people keep sticking up for them, sayin shit like "they're just doing their job". Fvucking bullshit!!!!! You see the smug sense of self satisfaction in there faces when they're handing out tickets, the condescending god complex in the way they speak to people, the fact that they get visably angry when they can't find something to defect you for. if they're just doing their job, why are they angry, if the car is roadworthy, why do they care, they should be happy. About 10 years ago i used to have a neighbor who was a cop and he used to brag about how he use to love working saturday nights because of all the fights because it gave him a chance to use his capsicum spray on people. WTF!!!! this sort of attitude has no place in policing. if you worked as a doorman or something like that, you wouldn't last long in the job with an attitude like that but it seems to be pretty common place for the pigs. There was recently a study into which jobs were most likely to attract psychopaths and the police force ranked number seven. And here we are giving them more powers not to mention fvcking guns... Apparently there are suppose to be good cops out there, but i'd be fvcked if i've met any lately. in my opinion the various police departments around australia are a fvcking disgrace. i always cop shit when i say this but i don't care anymore because as far as i'm concerned my feelings are perfectly justified. fvck the police!!!!

i think it's largely got to do with the police needing to "act" as a business instead of being there to "protect and serve"

If they stopped this stupid change, and went back to being a government funded resource to actually reduce crime and protect and serve the community again, people would have more respect for them.

It's a bloody shame the police have turned themselves into the biggest *milkshakes* second only to politicians in Australia.

I remember as a kid, we where told to seek out the police if we got lost, found lost property, saw something happen ect... These days I'll avoid cops where possible, and my dealings with them have all been around them trying to screw money out of you.

my g/f got pulled over on the way back from robe, in the middle of f**king no where, the cop then accused her of using her phone. We had 3 phones in the car, none of them had any signal for the past hour and would not get anymore till we got into tailem bend. The cop stopped short of us having to show him our phones to prove our point.

I'm with you mate. I had (straight) cops in my family and when I was a kid and was told the same thing. Back then, it probably actually was the right thing to do too. Now it's not.

The fact of the matter now is that there is less crime than ever before (Australian Government statistics will show the donward trend, Google if you don't believe me), but (in SA at least) there are more Police than ever before. This is not even remotely self sustaining, unles those Police can make money. AFAIK government departments are either fully funded, funded and have to make a profit or they are a cost-saving department (have to save the government money). I'm of the belief that the Police fall into the second category. This means that they're set KPI's/etc (possibly not all departments, but we all know that TMU is) like a business and they have to reach a financial quota. Like any successful business, when you're doing good, what are you going to keep doing? More of the same so you can do better than good. When you start doing badly, what do you do? Adapt. Change the way you do things, or raise the prices of existing services (fines). If you're being crafty, you do all of that, and then you make new laws (victimless crime laws are the best/easiest to fabricate). Figure out better ways of making criminals and then cash in on the guilt. (there's part of an Ayn Rand quote in there). Then you get the bored Police, who try and fine you for things, like your case Firey. When there's not enough crime around, they invent crime, to either pass the time or fill the quotas.

There's another side to this though. Police can't stop taking new recruits. If they did, it would purpotrate the notion that there is not enough crime out there per Police officer, which is exactly the opposite of what they want to present to the masses. This can only mean an increase in all of the above things.

So what can we do? Firstly, stop feeling guilty. It's not your fault that you're speeding. You're speeding because the speed limits have become so ridiculously low, that it's impossible to get from point A to point B in a reasonable amount of time. As time progresses, as vehicles get safer, as roads improve, as public awareness/education improves, speed limits should be INCREASING. We should be figuring out how to get people from point A to point B FASTER than ever before. Secondly, stop swallowing the eliteism that the "authority" figures around you are purpotrating! We are all human beings and we deserve to be treated as so. Police are no better than any regular person out there. History shows the heinous amount of Police coruption that the Australian public has endured in the past, so don't instantly assume that you're guilty, just because they've pulled you over. Educate yourself in what you have been fined for, find out if it's just and FIGHT IT.

Honestly, the older I get the more I hate the Police. I've met a couple of decent ones and known a few (complete d*ckheads though)... just really can't stand cops these days.

The icing on the cake for my disdain for them was after a business partner of my father's knocked on the door at 10pm to ask for advice (he had committed a crime and was worried about Police brutality if he turned himself in), the Police grilled my old man about the details, ultimately advising him that had he NOT urged his partner to go to the Police, they would have arrested and charged my old man. I've had my issues on the road with them, but when they're willing to charge a blatantly innocent man for another man's crime, then they can get f**ked imo.

Although not as severe as your situation, the icing on the cake for me was when Police searched my house when I wasn't home, by breaking in. They made no effort to contact me or my wife when they were doing so and found nothing, but I'm liable for the costs associated with breaking my window screen to get in. (why can't these *milkshakes* use a f**king locksmith or a bump key like everyone else?) After ringing around, I have no legal recoourse for this. The Police are not liable, even though they broke into a house on apparently one single anonymous call. That's all the "evidence" you need. One bullshit phone call. Yet when your stuff gets stolen, and you know who stole it, they can't raid the house with your stolen stuff because there's no "evidence". How the hell does that work? How is this not overreaching power? My wife and I are as far removed from drugs as you can possibly be. We have no criminal history, no known association with anyone who grows/sells/whatever. We don't even know where to f**king get drugs from, yet they thought they should search OUR house? Did they secretly just want to check out our christmas tree? Sniff our underwear?

Ugly women with way way to much self confidence.

When its a guy it is amusing, when its a chick its just sad.

Oh and the pigs, nothing good ever comes from interacting with them.