Sign in to follow this  
sweepa

lol, Labor is trying to pass a law that will make it illegal to offend people.

Just when you thought politics in this country couldn't get anymore absurd.

For a long time whenever some stupid law was proposed that took away peoples freedoms or something, people would joke "what are they going to do next? Make it illegal to offend people?"

Well yes actually, that's exactly what they're going to try and do under proposed changes to anti-discrimination laws. They want to make it illegal to offend people!!!! :silly::yes:

ABC chairman Jim Spigelman slams ALP laws that make it illegal to be offensive

ABC chairman and former top jurist Jim Spigelman has warned that a planned overhaul of discrimination law will impose unprecedented restrictions on free speech, including making it unlawful to offend people,

http://www.theaustra...x-1226534081839

Oh and speaking of stupid proposals I may as well hijack my thread and post this up too.

http://www.abc.net.a...op-levy/4420910

Seems that alcopops tax was a winner :doh:

this was also highly amusing

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health-fitness/stickers-for-sale-to-cover-plain-packaging-for-cigarette-packets/story-fneuz9ev-1226535061929

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/nation/probe-of-stickers-designed-to-sidestep-cigarette-plain-packaging-laws/story-e6frg6nf-1226535188362

Edited by sweepa

Bahahaha !! I would like to see them police it . this will only open up a can of worms for people to sue each other . Im offended if some one who is a drinker breathes in my direction after being intoxicated , or Im offended by the politicians who think they are making my world a better place for me ( well there NOT ) so does that go as apart of the discrimination debate ?

I highly doubt it , I think it will only stitch it up for those who have documented the offence happening to them , well thats the way I see it any way

I feel like this deserves a philosoraptor meme....

31744538.jpg

I believe something like that would be unconstitutional, being that it regulates freedom of speech.

Can't imagine anything this retarded would make it through... it is amusing that someone even proposed it though.

Australia has an implied freedom of speech. And yes, it is respected in the courts.

Australia has an implied freedom of speech. And yes, it is respected in the courts.

Is it better or worse that it's only implied in Australia? If there's one thing America has right, it's their explicit right to freedom of speech (when it suits them and isn't directed towards them).

As for this proposed set of laws, typical lawls. It'll likely be revised to become clearer but I can still see Labor trying to slip in something to give the higher ups more power.

well whats going to happen in the work place??? if someones a shit worker, and you tell them off, or let them go... they get offended and can sue you??? people have to have a think and stop being so over sensitive!!! what the f**k is wrong with people these days (hope this doesnt offend anyone)

It may be implied, but that leaves the door open for interpretation as opposed to explicitly defined as mentioned above. I can say though that I've never heard of some case where freedom of speech was denied though (although I'm not sure if that means much).

It would be interesting to see if we had more open hate groups if it was explicitly defined though.

Edited by _R_J_K_

That's why I scribble when I vote.

They are all a bunch on monkeys. No one good has stepped up since John Howard. Bloody legend then, bloody legend now.

They are all a bunch on monkeys.

b775e657-86e4-46e2-9a4d-b56fab8207ac.jpg

Edited by n00bis

That DOES NOT invalidate your vote - it makes it go to the people currently in power. So you're a right twit.

No one good has stepped up since John Howard. Bloody legend then, bloody legend now.

He was a sneaky prick who pushed his personal views in front of the people's and used diversionary tactics to get things through parliament…he was a *milkshake* then and is a *milkshake* now

A rotting turd would be head and sholders above the last couple, not really a big achivement...and doesn't change what he did....*milkshake*

wharrbarbl.jpg

Does this mean we could tell ACA that their hoon reports were offensive?

I can see this country becoming an international joke in no time.

USA Headline: "TRAGEDY! MAD GUNMAN KILLS 30 INNOCENTS!"

AUS Headline: "MAN TELLS PACKED LECTURE THEATRE TO F*CK OFF!"

AUS Headline: "MAN TELLS PACKED LECTURE THEATRE TO F*CK OFF!"

And the kids will say... "that's pretty loose".

That DOES NOT invalidate your vote - it makes it go to the people currently in power. So you're a right twit.

I call bullshit on this. I have never once seen any evidence to say that doing nothing or drawing anything on a ballot paper makes the vote go for the party in power.

I believe something like that would be unconstitutional, being that it regulates freedom of speech.

Australia doesn't have freedom of speech.

General wikipedia summary - http://en.wikipedia....untry#Australia

oh really

Jones ordered to apologise for 'vermin' comments

SEVEN years after shock jock Alan Jones called Sydney's Lebanese Muslims "vermin" who "infest our shores" and "rape" and "pillage" our nation, he must apologise.

http://www.news.com....t-1226536163024

I'm sorry but that doesn't seem like the courts respecting freedom of speech to me. forget what you think of the man or what he said, this is a pretty clear cut case of the courts persecuting someone for voicing there opinion.

Edited by sweepa

I call bullshit on this. I have never once seen any evidence to say that doing nothing or drawing anything on a ballot paper makes the vote go for the party in power.

TheApothecary hasn't quite said this correctly (I'm assuming he's referencing the tendancy for donkey-voters to simply vote for the devil they know), but the reality of the situation is blindingly obvious. When you don't vote at all, you're effectively passing your vote onto every biased, insane or retarded person out there, because your vote for the least-bad option isn't there to cancel out the crazy's vote for whatever extremist party they think is a great choice for this nation. And don't fool your self either - the nutjobs never fail to vote. History has proven this more than enough times.

Edited by pmod