Sign in to follow this  
1zz-fze

Custom intercooler and piping plus general fab

Hey guys just thought I would share where I'm at with my car.

I started off doing a simple bolt on turbo swap but when looking at intercooler kits I couldn't decide which one was best for my application. I saw a few of the guys on here make their own "in-bay" intercoolers so I decided to give it a go.

All the work on my car I have done myself at home and most of the fab and welding I do at work as I'm an apprentice pipe fitter/welder.

Will throw some pics up later tonight.

Cheers

really, i thought it was big compared to some of the ones ive seen in the shops. i used baffles and stainless swarf inside and it doesn't seem that restrictive, but ill look into it a bit more.

thanks

Ok, thanks for the info. I mainly want to run one because I noticed the intake pipe was a little bit oily inside. The company I work for has a valve shop aswell so they should be able to sus out the flow of the can etc..

Cheers mate

Figured out the turbo side piping today. just a quick question, what are you guys using on the end of the pipes to stop the silicon joiners coming off? Can you just run a bead around the end?

i just add some weld, not always the entire way around, you probably dont need to with custom piping because it should fit perfect, but i do anyway

Edited by R32GTRS

Ahh yeh I've seen that done before, just don't like the look of it so ill have to hide it some how..

well no the pro way is to use wiggins clamps... looks pro and will never blow off ever.

Yeh they look good, I already have the silicon joiners though.

I did the exact same thing a few years ago on my old S15, worked really well, just make sure you shroud the sides, so the air can't bypass the rad. I used 90 degree silicone reducing bends for the pipework into the cooler, made it really easy and direct, and weren't hard to find. All steel pipes were lobsterback :) I don't have any pics tho unfortunately

Cool, glad to hear it worked well! Ill have to make up some shielding then so the air doesn't escape. shame you don't have any pics, I like looking at different setups for ideas.

TBH, yours looks almost identical to what I ended up with ha ha. On the cold side, I found it easiest just to make up the lobster, it was hard to get right otherwise. from memory, I even ovaled the pipe a bit to make it easier to get a tightish turn out of the cooler.

Nice work mate.

Not to discourage you because I am often wrong, however I'll be interested to know if you have any overheating issues once complete. A lot of people run these intercooler touching radiator setups, obviously successfully. I believe there would be too much heatsoak, although they do make for a neat engine bay. Get her going, give it a good long thrash and maybe you can give us some feedback.

Thanks mate. I still haven't had a chance to finish it off, was really busy with work leadin up to Xmas.

I'm pretty confident that it will work efficiently, but I guess we will see how it goes. Will keep you updated.

photo10011350717pm.jpg

getting there, slowly..

photo10011372859pm.jpg

intake pipe is next.

Edited by 1zz-fze

sorry about the crappy pics but you get the idea..

quick question, i was going to connect up a mbc to the turbo side pipe but im going to buy an ebc and was just wondering if it connects up the same way?

cheers

hey guys, finally got around to finishing the intercooler setup and got the car tuned but still need to make an airbox for the pod filter.

photo16031361701pm.jpg

Thanks guys:)

I thought it was an r34 one but someone told me r33? I added an extra piece of plastic to go around the fan because it was sucking air in from the sides.

Havent taken many pics of much work ive done lately.. but got a couple of a 32 gtst with a rb25, I did a turnflow intercooler kit, precision 5858 turbo (3076) on stock manifold with a tial 44mm wastegate off the rear housing. 400rwhp on 17psi pump 98.

20130324_155008_zps5bf8b251.jpg

20130324_155021_zpsdf3bf5a4.jpg

20130324_164359_zpsa0018a89.jpg

stainless piping then paint it black :wtf1:

Haha yeah I know.. he wanted it stealth though, it was only the intercooler and the pipe work around the cooler painted black, was hidden quite well.

Oops did I crash someones thread? I though it was a general intercooler piping thread. Should read the topic better next time, my bad.

Hahaha all good man we will make it a custom intercooler pics thread!

OP that is some nice pipe work you done there starting to make me think about taking up a welding course ha ha ha :D how are your engine temps sitting btw?

Yeh was I nice little project. Engine temps are pretty solid on the street, I haven't had it on the track yet but I don't see there being any issues. Theres almost no lag due to piping size and length.

Really love how good that s15 inbay set up looks! I would love to get something made the same!! Any info on your intercooler and radiator sizing dimensions would be really helpful!!! Also info on the shroud how did you add the plastic to it? Did you find the response of the car improved much? Thanks !