Sign in to follow this  
Flying180

Drills - what's good?

I need a new drill but have nfi what's good.

I've had cheap ones and they don't last. In saying that, i've only got a $300 budget and it has to be able to do as many things as possible.

Give me a list and i'll put up a pole.

Hey man

how you doing

been a while

hey listen

i think you all should tell me about drills

ok man

talk soon

Cheers,

Andy

Just go to total tools And have a chat with them. My personal choice would be something from milwauke. That's what I use at work but dewalt and makita make a very good product aswell.

cordless or power drill? makes a difference.

ive got a 18v cordless Hitachi drill kit... its awesome. batteries last ages

Total tools ALWAYS have specials on. It's like the rug guys who are always going out of business.

I've got a black and decker 18v. The package was about $110 or so, included the drill, two batteries and the charger. I've used it A LOT. Used to assemble furniture for a living, so it was getting constant daily use. One battery would last me a day. It's still doing ok now about 4 years on, but is starting to blow the occasional puff of smoke/give off that electrical motor smell, so it might be about time.

Would definitely recommend it. Has about 10 or so torque settings and the last one has a hammer function which works pretty good.

Didnt think Stanley made Black and Decker anymore, was pretty much a dead end of their business.

Id go Panasonic, Hitachi, Milwaukee, Makita and at a push Dewalt

These are tools and brands that bit makers use to test and demo product so should be good enough for round the house

Dewalt, hitachi, makita, panasonic. All of those are good cordless drills.

Watch for the battery voltage. Get one thats higher (24V) those are usually stronger.

You can get a dewalt pack which includes a drill, batteries, and a torch. For about $150 depending on specials.

cordless or power drill? makes a difference. ive got a 18v cordless Hitachi drill kit... its awesome. batteries last ages

Yeah i forgot to mention the important part.

Definitely cordless.

Didnt think Stanley made Black and Decker anymore, was pretty much a dead end of their business. Id go Panasonic, Hitachi, Milwaukee, Makita and at a push Dewalt These are tools and brands that bit makers use to test and demo product so should be good enough for round the house

Stanley still make/sell Black and Decker. It's their 'cheap' range. I had a Black and Decker but it blew up just after a year of occasional use, so i probably wouldn't go down that track again.

Big fan of Hitachi, i've got the 3.6V Screwdrivers at work and they've been pretty much bullet proof even after being used all day every day.

I'll try and check out Total Tools tomorrow, but i've got some wholesale accounts around the place as well.

Dewalt, hitachi, makita, panasonic. All of those are good cordless drills. Watch for the battery voltage. Get one thats higher (24V) those are usually stronger. You can get a dewalt pack which includes a drill, batteries, and a torch. For about $150 depending on specials.

An 18V Dewalt pack for around $150? Serious?

Dewalt, hitachi, makita, panasonic. All of those are good cordless drills. Watch for the battery voltage. Get one thats higher (24V) those are usually stronger. You can get a dewalt pack which includes a drill, batteries, and a torch. For about $150 depending on specials.

Yeah got it from bunnings when they had their sale on. This was last year.

Still got them, although the batteries went bad, we just got them replaced for free. Was under warranty.

Yeah got it from bunnings when they had their sale on. This was last year. Still got them, although the batteries went bad, we just got them replaced for free. Was under warranty.

Wow. Whenever i've looked the 18V DeWalt drills have been $300-400

Possibly a NiCad battery as opposed to the Li Ion that Dewalt use now. I also managed to score a Dewalt 24V with a couple batteries for not too much, helps to know the tool shop guys though

The only time Bunnings have ever had a 'sale' was when they had way to much stock of deleted and obsolete product

Yeah had NiCad, then they changed it to Li Ion because they didn't stock the old battery. All for free but it took 2 months of arguing for that to happen.

180 just keep searching around.

Total tools sell bodies separate and pretty cheap. (Not including batteries) Then buy a battery pack and it will still cost cheaper.

It just doesn't come with the box or anything. Pretty sure still under some warranty too.

+1 to hitachi very reliable for the price. And if at another stage you want to add other tools to your kit their range is also pretty good. Personally I use Milwaukee but that's generally a little out of your price range, that said its in a whole other league in comparison.

What's the main usage? That's a big decider. I've got/used plenty of drills but all serve a different purpose.

General purpose for around the house. I want one that can be an all-rounder. Not really after the best for that very reason.

ie. Drilling for Masonry, wood,metal, furniture, as well as the odd car maintenance requirement..

My Dewalt 14v nicad cordless/hammer drills are 6yrs old now and going as strong as the day I bought them. 3 speed all metal gear box, Jacobs chuck. The other guys in the workshop use Hitachi, Milwaukee, Makita and Panasonic drills all in 18volt. My old 14v Dewalts have a heap more power and torque but the battery obviously doesnt last as long as the lithium jobs. Out of the bunch I found Milwaukee to be the worst, we constantly sent the impact drills back for repair and the drills have no guts at all but they are cheap and thats why people buy them!

My volt for cordless drills is and will probably always be Dewalt but I dont buy anything else by Dewalt.

Bosch 10.8 v drill. $250 and the best in its class. It's small, light, charges fast and it has done me well with all you mentioned. A guy just 2 days ago even made a "that's a gutsy little drill" which comment.

I got dewalt drill driver + 2 batteries + charger from the US for $199 delivered... this is to complement my 2.4 Ah battery, 1/2in impact driver and 1/4 hex driver...

I haven't used too many (just for the home shed etc), but the Bosch green from Bunnings I've got go alright. I've got 2 drills, 2 angle grinders and 1 circular saw.

18v is the way to go, Lithium ion is what you want.

I have a full milwaukee set including 2 drills and impact driver, in saying that i paid about $600 for it but i need it for work, lasts the whole days shift and about 15 minutes to charge.

Dewalt is the best money can buy, but it comes at a price, We have Hitachi drills at work and they seem ok for the mid range price bracket.

Because it seems like you're not planning on buying other skins. I'd go the Panasonic. Best on the market in my opinion. The only thing that let's them down is the lack of different skins available.

Otherwise I'd say Milwaukee which is what work supplies me with, comes out in 28v models. You can get a rattle gun skin, and which is f**king awesome to work on the car with.

yep, milwaukee and panasonic are amazing but he's not buying a tool thats used every day in a trade and doesnt need heavy duty. keep in mind the price range too

yep, milwaukee and panasonic are amazing but he's not buying a tool thats used every day in a trade and doesnt need heavy duty. keep in mind the price range too

Yeah you're right. I've looked at the 10.8V drill before and it would do the job.

However of i can a bigger /stronger one I will. Mainly due to the fact I've gone through 2 shitty drills within 12 months..