Sign in to follow this  
sweepa

what would you want to see in an australian bill of rights?

as the title says, if australia ever were to adopt a bill of rights, what sort of rights would people want to see?

Right_To_Bear_Arms.jpg Edited by bloodzkull

The right to bear arms

Right_To_Bear_Arms.jpg

edit: dammit just noticed the second post haha

Edited by pistol-pete

as the title says, if australia ever were to adopt a bill of rights, what sort of rights would people want to see?

some fine ass bitches

on a serious note, freedom of speech like in the US. not condoning anything but when you hear about people being arrested for saying something thats apparently racist, i think thats pretty messed up. i mean really, htfu!!

- Freedom of speech.

- Seeing everyone as equal before the law, with no discrimination against race, gender, opinion, religion, or property (including modified cars, making it unconstitutional for an officer to target these cars based on their make, model, in an attempt to meet their quota, rather than pulling over people who are speeding or even more dangerous on the road).

- Freedom to protest. The amount of innocent protests that I've seen broken up by riot squad have been truly sickening. There was a case of some disgruntled construction workers who started protesting. It was met by a heavy police presence, who were kitted out in full riot gear. Why were the workers protesting? Because of safety concerns. How dare someone protest because they're worried they mightn't make it home to their kids...

I'm sure there's more, but that's all I could think of at the moment.

We retain all of our existing rights as declared in the Australian Constitution.

Freedom of speech.

Digital networks (internet) shall remain free to function without interference from any governing body.

Complete financial transparency for all government spending.

If I had more time I'd put a lot more serious thought into it but these 3 are the most obvious to me right now.

I'd also like to see the production and management of our money handled by a governing body rather than a private institution and have the currency backed by something tangible to combat inflation. Won't ever happen but we can dream right?

I agree with equal rights

I know the history, but damn it's not fair aboriginals and torre straight islanders get extra UAI marks and lower tuition fees etc

I know the history, but damn it's not fair aboriginals and torre straight islanders get extra UAI marks and lower tuition fees etc

only reason why they give them these benefits is because they know they won't make it to that point or actually use those benefits...

Edited by level_100%_warned

Don't know where you get your info from but its definitely not like that in wa

I wouldn't mind someone clearing up what this second commonwealth in Washington is really all about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeYQNq7znH4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

the full video is very long winded (50m) but it's definatley an unanswered question.

Just finished watching....IF​ what is said in this doco is true, that's pretty mind blowing.

Our exams had the option when you fill in the paper with the question " if you are aboriginal or torre straight islander : yes/no"

This entitles you to exemptions and stuff. I knew a guy in uni who was aboriginal who got 40 in his UAI but was doing 65 UAI course. No late entry

I wouldn't mind someone clearing up what this second commonwealth in Washington is really all about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeYQNq7znH4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

the full video is very long winded (50m) but it's definatley an unanswered question.

Just finished watching....IF​ what is said in this doco is true, that's pretty mind blowing.

Well if you want to find out, here's the petition made by the guy from this video.

http://www.avaaz.org/en/petition/One_Simple_Question_Is_The_Australian_Government_Lawful/

Edited by essare

I will murder every politian in Canberra for a bill of rights

- Freedom of Speech

- Freedom from Political Censorhip

- Freedom of the press

- Freedom from searches without due cause - We already have laws that prevent this but no rights, in other words it wont take much to remove the laws.

- Right to self defence against ALL others (this includes reasonable defence against the police, army and government)

- A right to property where no man can take anothers property under any law unless it is under contract or you own that person money (in case of bankruptsy) (Antihooning laws)

- Equal rights for all. (gay rights) (female rights) (even churches rights to refuse to marry poofs)

Edited by Shakey Bones

Our exams had the option when you fill in the paper with the question " if you are aboriginal or torre straight islander : yes/no"

This entitles you to exemptions and stuff. I knew a guy in uni who was aboriginal who got 40 in his UAI but was doing 65 UAI course. No late entry

Its probably a different system to wa so it may be like that, I had to do a stat test to gain entry because I didn't finish school, being aboriginal didn't change any of my scores though. Tuition is exactly the same too.

Anyway back on topic, I agree with equal rights. Beyond giving indigenous people things like native title rights, they should be treated the same. Favouring one culture over another only serves to alienate people from each other. As far as I see it, some of the systems in place are increasing the gap between indigenous and non indigenous people. Even though they are supposed to be closing it.

There is a difference between respecting cultural rights and favouring people because of culture though.

Edited by panda101

on a serious note, freedom of speech like in the US. not condoning anything but when you hear about people being arrested for saying something thats apparently racist, i think thats pretty messed up. i mean really, htfu!!

Yeah thats a fair call... While I obviously dont condone racist behaviour i think people are WAY over sensitive about it now to the point many dont use the term correctly.

I want to see more power given to the people to block unpopular laws and throw out unpopular governments.

If i had my way, Gillard would have been out of parliament and straight into a jail cell the moment she announced the Carbon Tax.

- Freedom of Speech

- Freedom of the press

- Freedom from searches without due cause - We already have laws that prevent this but no rights, in other words it wont take much to remove the laws.

- Right to self defence against ALL others (this includes reasonable defence against the police, army and government)

- A right to property where no man can take anothers property under any law unless it is under contract or you own that person money (in case of bankruptsy) (Antihooning laws)

- Equal rights for all. (gay rights) (female rights) (even churches rights to refuse to marry poofs)

Sounds good, except the "female rights" bit is a joke, since they already have more rights than males, particularly where custody and divorce are concerned. The Church gay marriage refusal thing is a bit of bullshit too, unless the priests revoke their status as official [legal] celebrants. If they're legal celebrants, then they should not be allowed to filter the legal couples they marry.

I'd also add to the list:

- Freedom from religion in schools and workplace (there should be no religious sessions held at schools, beyond the 'Religion Studies' subject in Year 11)

- Freedom to operate business without the needed for religious accomodation (i.e. it's at the businesses discretion as to whether they allow prayer breaks, religous leave or religous garments, without the possibility of employee legal contest on the basis of discrimination. Don't like, don't want to do it - get a different job)

Edited by pmod

I would like to see us have a version of the 5th Amendment in US Constitution:

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

Obviously would need to be updated a little to match the times.

- Freedom of Speech

- Freedom of the press

Sounds good, except the "female rights" bit is a joke, since they already have more rights than males, particularly where custody and divorce are concerned. The Church gay marriage refusal thing is a bit of bullshit too, unless the priests revoke their status as official [legal] celebrants. If they're legal celebrants, then they should not be allowed to filter the legal couples they marry.

I'd also add to the list:

- Freedom from religion in schools and workplace (there should be no religious sessions held at schools, beyond the 'Religion Studies' subject in Year 11)

- Freedom to operate business without the needed for religious accomodation (i.e. it's at the businesses discretion as to whether they allow prayer breaks, religous leave or religous garments, without the possibility of employee legal contest on the basis of discrimination. Don't like, don't want to do it - get a different job)

Custody starts out at 50/50 now, unless either party can come up with a legitimate reason why it shouldn't be. But yes, the mother is still looked upon more favourably than the father regardless of how it got to the point of needing custody agreements.

All your other points I agree on though.

Edited by Bloke

only negative rights. negative rights require no actions from people. a right to healthcare is a positive right due to the fact it requires a government, tax, people paying tax ect. in effect, the bill of rights should protect all rights where there is 1 person or 100million people in the country. it doesn't need to go into details about political policies or setups.

i'd say like the american version with some modern language improvements.

though, id argue we don't need the 2nd amendment, at least to the same extent.

also need to add in something to protect citizens from being extradited without charge or into countries where due legal process doesn't exist.

realistically i don't want a bill of rights for australia. the problem is that you cant have a democracy create a bill of rights, at least in this day and age.

would be f**ked if the greens got a hold of it. for now, our system works. its not perfect but i think a bill of rights would only reduce our rights not strengthen them.

this would be especially true for freedom of speech. i truly doubt perfect freedom of speech laws would be protected in this day of politically correct bullshit.

eg, the Andrew Bolt case.

Edited by Peter89

Legalised rape dungeons

F**king quality.

Considering two days ago, the Police broke a screen to get into my house, let one of my cats out, left all of the lights on and could offer us no explanation for nearly 24hrs as to why they had done any of this, whatever the f**k stops that should be in our bill of rights. Turns out that a single person had said we have a hydro setup (anonymous tip-off apparently). I explained to the police that we're the straightest people in the street. We don't drink, don't do drugs, haven't done drugs, etc etc. There was no apology, more of a Well lucky you aren't criminals or things would have been worse. Now I have to replace a f**king screen window (at my expense after the officer calmly explained that they "Don't accept any liability.") and explain to the neighbours that, "Despite the Police turning up to my doorstep with a battering ram, we're not a danger to you or your children. Have a nice day." Apparently the POLICE couldn't get hold of either mine or my wife's number. The f**king POLICE couldn't get hold my mine or my wife's number.

We still have absolutely no idea who would have told the cops that we had a hydro setup. We don't have any enemies, don't piss off our neihgbours, nothing. Moral of the story: Having a bad day? Become a cop. Break into people's houses and destroy their shit. You won't have to pay for a cent.

Another thing added to my list of "reasons to hate the police". Fast dwarfing the "reasons to like the police" list, which is currently sitting at, well, nothing.