Sign in to follow this  
hussy86

Rota wheels a problem?

Intense has the same opinion as me...

But Mr green sums it up perfectly ha!

Round and round and round and round.............

Who gives a f**k whether its fake or not as long as it does the job. We don't own Ferrari's

I just don't see how people feel safe on wheels that by the time you take out everyone's profit would be luck to cost $50 a corner to make

what coilovers do you run?

cause the same could be said about 90% of the common brands of coilovers on the market, d2, bc, hsd, driftworks, isc, dgr ect ect all the same crap non of them work remotely well as a dampener but tones of people are still running them thinking there awesome

Silkroads on my s14

Tanabe on my v35 (though were in that when I bought it)

If those rims on the FD are legit 19" TE's, they should have Rays branding embossed on the inner part of the lips that state such things like Rays Eng, Forged Monoblock, Made in Japan etc. I can't see such things like that so I'd say try hard poser.

I'm glad that Rays have now used this embossing technique on all their TE range of sizes and not just the 19" ones ^_^

I'm not fussed with the people that try hard pose. It's like the people that wear fake LV, Tag Heuer or Rolex etc. Just don't try convincing people that its the real deal. I'll laugh in your face :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Andy

Rota wheels, everything wrong with the car scene summed up in one company.

Why make original designs when you can just copy paste designs that real manufactures make?

Why use a forged manufacturing process when you can just cast them and make them heavier and weaker instead?

Engineering? Wtf is that, nah we want profits instead at the expense of a whole community.

And the best thing of all this, the guys who buy and run them have "pride" in their car, coz their 20 year old jap import with china cooler, china knock off seats, knock off wheels, knock off everything that matters is a performance machine that's at the cutting edge of performance even though they've cut every single corner so people will think it's good instead of it actually performing good.

So yeah, go buy the knock off wheels if you're a cheap piece of shit who cares more about what other people thinks of you than about how your car actually performs

The most agreeable post I've seen...

To think i was going to sell my CST's so i could buy some replica's of RS's to fit in with all the "cool cats" :hammer::wtf1:

Each to there own! love how my car looks,don't need to change it to be mainstream,will be different from the crowd from the usual slamming your car with some camber and BBS meshies that everyone does in the "stance" scene.

At the end of the day, ballas gonna ball, not everyone can afford $4k set of wheels, let the cheap kents be cheap, real og's know where' its at, /yo

You guys don't think work, Rays, Enki and BBS don't steal ideas? Come on, this is the wheel we are talking about here guys something that has been around for thousands of years.

They all steal from one another and innovate from one another. You can see inspiration and copying among some of the biggest brands, many of whom steal ideas from large automotive manufacturers and vice versa.

When you buy a high end wheel you are paying your $1000+ per wheel for two things: 1. Status - like a Rolex or Hugo Boss suit high end wheels have high end status/bragging right and street cred. 2. High quality you know these wheels are made of the finest materials and forged in a rigorous quality controlled environment so you know exactly what you are getting.

That's it. To me spending $4k on wheels for a 9k 180sx is f**king retarded. Hell it is even pretty stupid doing that for a 20k S15 but people (myself included) do that.

There is nothing wrong with Rota or brands similar. You are getting a good look with great offset for cheap and it is ideal for cars like most of us own.

Shit I'd rather spend 1500 on wheels and then another 1500+ on some awesome tires that will have a 100x better performance improvement than they type of tires most Australian's drive on.

If you are going to buy a new R35 GTR or a mint V-Spec II R34. Or hell even a really nice show S15, FD or something rare like a 22b Sti then yeah spend a bucket on wheels it will pay off. But when I see TE37 SLs on a 2003 Subaru WRX that is otherwise stock or something similar on a clapped out S13 I just laugh.

Edited by Shakey Bones

At the end of the day, ballas gonna ball, not everyone can afford $4k set of wheels, let the cheap kents be cheap, real og's know where' its at, /yo

^ This!!!

Brother knows his shit!

For real yawwwww!!!

Cheers,

Andy

It's not about being a cheap kent. It's buying a set of wheels that are worth more then the car.

If I had a high class vehicle, yes that can be justified.

But spending 4k on a 2k car is stupid (Unless your going to highly modify it purely for racing purposes)

70% of people here will buy rotas purely for cheap offset and great looking wheels for cheap.

Nothing wrong with that.

That's the worst excuse ever.

Plenty paint jobs for example are worth more then many cars they are applied to but they still do it anyway.

Rota's also don't look good at all, they copy the basic design and leave out all the detail.

Run a good wheel if wheels interest you and you want quality/performance run a cheap wheel if they don't, but if you pick the 2nd option you have to be open to criticism.

This thread surely needs a lock by now anyway.

Edited by brent47

Nah, people need somewhere to vent about Rotas. Keeps the other threads cleaner :)

The problem with just copying a lightweight wheel and making a cast version of it is that it's just not safe. The reason that a forged wheel can be so light is because the manufacturing process makes the wheel stronger, meaning you can achieve the same strength wheel with less material. Copying that design but by using a casting process is just a nightmare waiting to happen. Yes the wheel is lighter but it doesn't have the strength to back it up. The chunkier wheel designs that get copied may be a little better but the light weight copy's should be avoided at all costs.

Perfect example http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/294366-track-report-rota-rims-and-p-cup-slicks/

"I have done perhaps 40+ sprint sessions on these at OP, WP and EC. As you may know we had the cast xrayed (results were ok) and they seemed to hold up fine until yesterday... after a session at WP i noticed both of the front rims have a spoke which is cracked all the way through. Suffice to say my day was over. Lucky we picked it up when we did. I am a bit perplexed as to why/how both rims could crack in identical ways on the same session."

For the haters saying rota's are "heavy" do some research before posting

Genuine 18 x 9.5" Volk TE37 - 8.4kg

TE37 Copy 18 x 9.5" Rota Grid - 9.8kg

Genuine 18 x 9.5" Gram Light 57d - 10.3kg

Genuine BNR34 GT-R 18 x 9" stock wheel 11kg

Genuine Work VS-XX 18 x 9.5" 12.7kg

For the haters saying rota's are "heavy" do some research before posting

Genuine 18 x 9.5" Volk TE37 - 8.4kg

TE37 Copy 18 x 9.5" Rota Grid - 9.8kg

Genuine 18 x 9.5" Gram Light 57d - 10.3kg

Genuine BNR34 GT-R 18 x 9" stock wheel 11kg

Genuine Work VS-XX 18 x 9.5" 12.7kg

1.4kg is a lot of additional weight for a wheel that has a fraction of the strength.

btw, work VS-XX's are show wheels, gram lights are cast, and fairly cheap, not this $4k people talk about, they aren't much more expensive than rotas. R34 GTR wheels are OEM, and therefore are designed to be stupid strong, and anyone who has ever used any GTR wheels knows that they will last a nuke blast before breaking.

Edited by nisskid

lol this thread is retarded. if you like wheels buy good wheels, if you dont care buy copy wheels that look like shit really, but most people wont even know the difference so i guess your probably fooling them.

That's the worst excuse ever.

Plenty paint jobs for example are worth more then many cars they are applied to but they still do it anyway.

Rota's also don't look good at all, they copy the basic design and leave out all the detail.

Run a good wheel if wheels interest you and you want quality/performance run a cheap wheel if they don't, but if you pick the 2nd option you have to be open to criticism.

This thread surely needs a lock by now anyway.

I don't think people shelfing out thousands on a paint job are going to be running sub-par wheels. If they are, they're probably much more interested in looking racecar than actual performance. People I know running fakes wouldn't dream of a flashy new paint job, simply don't have the money.

i dont get where people are pulling these 4k plus figures i have imported many wheels from japan second hand in good condition 2/3 piece and awesome offsets for less then a grand or a touch over its more the fact people would rather make their car look cheap and tacky and cant be patient and wait 6-9 weeks for good quality rims and decided to buy poorly made copies of companies that cant be orginal or be safe in making the wheels

Errr....because these figures are comparing new for new? :hammer:

I think its pretty hilarious that people complain about rota copying rays/volk or whoever else, when the same people copy other peoples cars appearance, or post asking about what body kit or what wheels are on this car etc.

saying that someone buying cheap wheels is ruining the scene is f**king absurd. no one is ruining anything, except the assholes that are saying 'you must have this much money to be accepted'.

Some people have different priorities in their life that prohibit them spending a heap on WHEELS. I would rather have 3 week long snow trips than a 3K set of wheels. I would rather spend a fraction of that cost on a new camera lens.

But hey if you literally have nothing else in your life than saving pictures of your car off the internet taken by people who watermark their photos, BY ALL MEANS spend all your money on wheels.

What many fail to understand here is what is used for casting.

Rota uses used metals, the problem with used metals is that many types of metals are melted to be casted, metals with different properties from one another, therefore it is impossible to measure the strengh of the cast, so some wheels may be just right, some over engineered and others under engineered. So really it's a gamble, a risk I much rather not take when there are so many better quality second hand rims out there.

Edited by Kebab

I think its pretty hilarious that people complain about rota copying rays/volk or whoever else, when the same people copy other peoples cars appearance, or post asking about what body kit or what wheels are on this car etc.

saying that someone buying cheap wheels is ruining the scene is f**king absurd. no one is ruining anything, except the assholes that are saying 'you must have this much money to be accepted'.

Some people have different priorities in their life that prohibit them spending a heap on WHEELS. I would rather have 3 week long snow trips than a 3K set of wheels. I would rather spend a fraction of that cost on a new camera lens.

But hey if you literally have nothing else in your life than saving pictures of your car off the internet taken by people who watermark their photos, BY ALL MEANS spend all your money on wheels.

quoted cus its the halerious truth

What many fail to understand here is what is used for casting.

Rota uses used metals, the problem with used metals is that many types of metals are melted to be casted, metals with different properties from one another, therefore it is impossible to measure the strengh of the cast, so some wheels may be just right, some over engineered and others under engineered. So really it's a gamble, a risk I much rather not take when there are so many better quality second hand rims out there.

got any proof that rota use impure poor quialty second hand metal or is that just hearsay?

i just couldnt see them passing all the stringent testing they go through if that were true and i would think that the car manafacturers that they supply some of their wheels to would accept that risk either

Doesn't Rota supply wheels to manufacturers?

If that's true, then if it's good for a company then it's good for anyone else.

I don't get why this thread is still going.

Rota won't snap/break on you unless you bash it into a gutter, then again any other wheel will as well.

FYI I hit some ute with FPV wheels with my bumper bar and it snapped.

I hit something like a rock on the edge of the road at 100km/hr and the rim buckled like a mufugger. Listening to all the sick drifters on here, i should be able to hit it sideways at 200km/hr and it'll still be fine. Rim was a Wed's Kranze.

Lesson? They all f**k up.

Its also the fact that you can find a style, offset and size to suit what your after and have them in your hands in a week.

Compared to searching for weeks or even months for the wheels your after and then cross your fingers you win the bid to get them.. And then wait 6-9 for them to arrive..

And HOPEFULLY they are what you wanted.. ie the seller has listed the correct sizes and offsets.. And they in good condition..

'I think its pretty hilarious that people complain about rota copying rays/volk or whoever else, when the same people copy other peoples cars appearance, or post asking about what body kit or what wheels are on this car etc.'

I honestly do not think its the same people that are complaining about rota copying wheel manufacturers that are then asking what body kit or wheels are on what car. I reckon that people that have a problem with it are kind of old to the scene, (older than rota) and remember what it was like to fark around for AAAGES trying to find the right set of wheels in the right offset for the right price, and now its kind of shitty that you can pay a third of the price, for the good offset, good sized wheels, even if they arent exactly what you would roll on.

i myself have always had 'real' branded wheels, iv never purchased them new, iv never paid more than about 1200 bucks, and iv also never cracked or buckled a wheel or anything.. if people want to roll on rotas, or varrstoens, or even wolf wheels, then that is their doing and more power to them. It does irk me though when those people claim that 'there is no difference' between a te37 and a rota grid and that they are the same quality and they are just as strong and everything else they seem to come up with..

You pay more money for a reason..

a good reason to avoid cheap wheels is cheap retailers. at least Work, Enkei, Volk makes sure their distributors arent massive shitbirds that will ruin their reputation.

2 cars down here completed targa wrest point on the weekend, Both running rota wheels,

No failures...... Doesnt mean they are indestructible but if you can survive tassie roads at race speed .. safe to they are stong enough for MOST applications