Sign in to follow this  
hussy86

Rota wheels a problem?

I only read this thread for the spelling of 'Rota's'.

Rota is shit. In before lock with a shit stir.

Doesn't Rota supply wheels to manufacturers? If that's true, then if it's good for a company then it's good for anyone else.

Companies also go for the cheapest-standard-approved items, so what's your point?

Why do you think aftermarket parts can make a car handle SO much better? because the companies just go for the cheapest stuff they legally can use.

Doesn't Rota supply wheels to manufacturers? If that's true, then if it's good for a company then it's good for anyone else.

Companies also go for the cheapest-standard-approved items, so what's your point?

Why do you think aftermarket parts can make a car handle SO much better? because the companies just go for the cheapest stuff they legally can use.

Actually, they usually go for a combination of cost and universal compliance. For instance, adding reinforcement bars and braces will make a passenger car handle much better, but that extra stiffness may also cause it to fare much worse in an occupant crash test. The quality and selection of components largely depends on the intended price-point, market and usage.

Modifying cars for performance will often hold some trade-off on road safety. To preempt the likely rebuttal that "a caged car is much safer on the track", it should be pointed out that a likely accident on the track is a roll-over, whereas on the road it's hitting a tree, pole, car, person or wall. Totally different crash scenarios, totally different occupant equipment and no onsite medics.

Edited by pmod

Doesn't Rota supply wheels to manufacturers?

If that's true, then if it's good for a company then it's good for anyone else.

I don't get why this thread is still going.

Rota won't snap/break on you unless you bash it into a gutter, then again any other wheel will as well.

FYI I hit some ute with FPV wheels with my bumper bar and it snapped.

Ok let's dissect some of your retardation.

Assuming you mean Rota supplies to Car Manufacturers, and maybe so, but have you felt the weight of most OE alloys? You can make anything strong enough to meet a standard, how much metal you use in the process is the issue. Rota COULD make the strongest wheel in the world, it would just weigh a ridiculous amount.

Rota will and have snapped without bashing into a gutter. Your FPV wheels are probably shit. And no, not any wheel will break if you hit something, many won't.

I hit something like a rock on the edge of the road at 100km/hr and the rim buckled like a mufugger. Listening to all the sick drifters on here, i should be able to hit it sideways at 200km/hr and it'll still be fine. Rim was a Wed's Kranze.

Lesson? They all f**k up.

So what you're telling me, is you hit a rock at 100k's an hour, with a VIP Show wheels, and you're pissed off that it simply buckled.

Ok

A: Kranze wheels are not known for their performance, it's their designs and quality finish which price them above cheap crap, they are show wheels, not race wheels.

B: I have seen cheap wheels disintegrate from impacts similar to what you are describing, buckles can be fixed, the bead seat separating from the main barrel is not...

Edited by nisskid

Rodney jane racing wheels are the best on the market. Much better than the so called "rotas".

those fifteen52 wheels are designed to break, the normal ones are actually too rigid and would end in bad juju to all the suspension bits in an impact

from that exact vid~

"TROLL ALERT: Fifteen52 engineered these wheels to sheer on impact on Ken's request, since replacing a wheel is easier that replacing a control arm, subframe or worse."

I hit something like a rock on the edge of the road at 100km/hr and the rim buckled like a mufugger. Listening to all the sick drifters on here, i should be able to hit it sideways at 200km/hr and it'll still be fine. Rim was a Wed's Kranze.

So what you're telling me, is you hit a rock at 100k's an hour, with a VIP Show wheels, and you're pissed off that it simply buckled.

Ok

A: Kranze wheels are not known for their performance, it's their designs and quality finish which price them above cheap crap, they are show wheels, not race wheels.

B: I have seen cheap wheels disintegrate from impacts similar to what you are describing, buckles can be fixed, the bead seat separating from the main barrel is not...

Please don't intentionally misconstrue what I was saying. It's f**king rude. Why would I be pissed that it only buckled instead of shattered?

Also, I'm pretty sure we were talking about expensive rims vs cheap rims. now we're talking about, "Oh, only a handful of expensive rims"?

Edited by pyro

I've had "fake" wheels and genuines, honestly I'd buy either one again depending on what application I wanted. I have a set of balling equips for my daily driver and varrstoens for the track car, they each serve their purpose.

I smashed a ripple strip and took a huge chunk out of my varrstoen ("fake rim") but held air for the few weeks later until I discovered the back of the rim was fcked. The same ripple strip mutilated an SSR on a mates car.

That's my 2cents.

oh my god kens going to kill the "scene" with those shitty wheels! for the love of god please somebody stop him dosent he know the cool kids on the interwebs do not approve this maddeness!

2 years ago it would of been Rota's are crap /thread

Because back then JDM was the fad, if it wasn't genuine jap no one wanted to know.

These days with hellaflush and stance fakes became socially acceptable and now the general consensus is 'meh who cares, if you pay for quality and support the original companies you're a brand whore' and drive way in the primer s13 slammed on 16x8-50 steelies.

What happened :(

My gramlights have hit countless cars, ripple strips and train tracks and still going strong and look mint. So I will stand by my jap wheels.

Edited by ziptie

Ok

Please don't intentionally misconstrue what I was saying. It's f**king rude. Why would I be pissed that it only buckled instead of shattered?

Also, I'm pretty sure we were talking about expensive rims vs cheap rims. now we're talking about, "Oh, only a handful of expensive rims"?

It's like saying, i bought a Lotus Elise, but it doesn't tow very good, a great wall ute would have towed better, therefore you should just buy cheap cars. You don't buy Kranze for their strength and weight, you buy them for their designs, sizing and quality finish. Go look at a similar style wheel to the Kranzes in a bob jane, and have a look at the finish. The quality of the casting would be better as well, but it's hardly their main selling point.

There are so many different factors to a wheel, just because it's an expensive wheel doesn't mean they are a high performance track wheel, so to expect them to be is ridiculous.

Saying "every rim breaks" is like saying every tyre will wear out, with enough force any wheel will break, however many will take a lot more of a beating than others. Considering how many cheap wheel's i've seen from minor impacts, racing track curbs, pot holes, or even simply hard driving, i'm putting my money into the wheel which i'll need to hit a wall before i see any distortion.

Lowe wrote:

got any proof that rota use impure poor quialty second hand metal or is that just hearsay?

i just couldnt see them passing all the stringent testing they go through if that were true and i would think that the car manafacturers that they supply some of their wheels to would accept that risk either

Got proof? I have proof based on probability 1. China/Taiwan are the highest importers of used metals 2. The mixed of opinions is a correlation that either a. Rota have poor standards of casting that each wheel varies in strenght or b. used metals are used 3. Rota have never publicly stated manufacturing and materials used during the casting process 4. They are selling copied rims so this alone showns an element of unlawfull dishonest. 5. Rims have cracked, deny reality all you like its your funeral.

As for your "i just couldnt see them passing all the stringent testing they go through if that were true and i would think that the car manafacturers that they supply some of their wheels to would accept that risk either" I heard that they do make OEM wheels for toyota but we have no way of telling if they use the same standards, but I am not aware of any "stringent testing"

It's kinda of funny reading everyones cognitive dissonance who have forked out $$$ on fakies.

I think this is fitting to show the tests a quality rim maker does before selling to the public im so suprised so many of you would rather fake ass weak ass rims and risk your passangers and your life....

Edited by KidDynamite

Got proof? I have proof based on probability 1. China/Taiwan are the highest importers of used metals 2. The mixed of opinions is a correlation that either a. Rota have poor standards of casting that each wheel varies in strenght or b. used metals are used 3. Rota have never publicly stated manufacturing and materials used during the casting process 4. They are selling copied rims so this alone showns an element of unlawfull dishonest. 5. Rims have cracked, deny reality all you like its your funeral.

cheers for the reply mate as i thought no proof just the usual madeup hearsay.

As for your "i just couldnt see them passing all the stringent testing they go through if that were true and i would think that the car manafacturers that they supply some of their wheels to would accept that risk either" I heard that they do make OEM wheels for toyota but we have no way of telling if they use the same standards, but I am not aware of any "stringent testing"

It's kinda of funny reading everyones cognitive dissonance who have forked out $$$ on fakies.

almost as funny as the dribble that "real wheel" lovers makeup to justafy spending extra to put exspensive race wheels or brand name show wheels on road cars/cheap track hacks.

dont get me wrong if i was compeating at a top level of motorsport i would defanitly be running rays wheels or equivelent, although i have owned both "real" wheels and "fakes" and tried to source as much creadable info as i could about the topic, i still havent found any reason other than look at me and how much i spent on wheels or the "bragging" rights of look at me i own "real wheels" of to justafy spending four times as much on a set of race or top end show wheels for road cars and cheap track hacks, although thats probably also got just as much to do with the way i prioratise my money and toys lol

cheers for the reply mate as i thought no proof just the usual madeup hearsay.

almost as funny as the dribble that "real wheel" lovers makeup to justafy spending extra to put exspensive race wheels or brand name show wheels on road cars/cheap track hacks.

dont get me wrong if i was compeating at a top level of motorsport i would defanitly be running rays wheels or equivelent, although i have owned both "real" wheels and "fakes" and tried to source as much creadable info as i could about the topic, i still havent found any reason other than look at me and how much i spent on wheels or the "bragging" rights of look at me i own "real wheels" of to justafy spending four times as much on a set of race or top end show wheels for road cars and cheap track hacks, although thats probably also got just as much to do with the way i prioratise my money and toys lol

i honestly do not know where people get their numbers from..

ebay has te37 SL's for 3 g's in super duper hardcore sizing, so presumably you would get normal rotastoen sizing for around 26-2800 landed, which is only twice what varrstoens are and 2 and a half times what brotas are..

fyi, my mate just had a set of te37sl's sent from jesse, cost him 2300 delivered or something around there..

and thats for the bees knees of wheels, think about normal wheels like rpf01's, $1400, cst hyper zero's 1400, you dont have to spend stupid money like EVERYONE seems to be suggesting..

brand name wheels on road cars and cheap track hacks? Please tell me where else the majority of people will drive a car?

It's just crap. You think of all your favorite wheel designs in the past. Think of all the best track cars in the past. Think of your all time favorite modified car. That's from companies innovating, spending money coming up with new designs. Then some half wit comes along and says oh that looks good, rips of the design and then people like you come along and buy it because sometimes it cheaper. You always throw out the figure "4 times as much" this isn't the case, even new from factory in some instances.

It doesn't matter anyway, people will always run fake wheels, then call their car a missile or drift pig even though its only seen one track day and use that as an excuse to drive like shit, with shit attitudes. People might say 'What about Stewy's car" but that is a true definition of an actual missile. Every dint on that car is from pushing the limits of his driving. Not reversing into the fence while leaving the driveway.

Exactly ^ ^

And 2,300 from Jesse for TE37SL's is spot on, gotta pay to play and cheap wheels don't belong on anything but an A - B commuter.

Realistically, isn't that what majority of these are? A-b commuters? How much track time does the average user here see? I personally haven't seen any.

On a side note, it's great times buying from Japan at the moment with such a high AUD vs JPY!

Particularly wheels since so much savings can be had!

Cheers,

Andy

brand name wheels on road cars and cheap track hacks? Please tell me where else the majority of people will drive a car?

^im assuming this is some kind of misquote of what iv written above in an attempt to twist my words? but i cant even figure out what your trying to get at there sorry

It's just crap. You think of all your favorite wheel designs in the past. Think of all the best track cars in the past. Think of your all time favorite modified car. That's from companies innovating, spending money coming up with new designs. Then some half wit comes along and says oh that looks good, rips of the design and then people like you come along and buy it because sometimes it cheaper.

um ok you do realise that the same applies to your mass produced cars right? does that bother you or are you just happy to be selectively ignorant about what you see as wright and wrong?

Edited by Lowe

Not trying to prove you wrong. Just voicing my opinion.

To me wether you're going around or track or going to work, your still driving the car. So I want the best at all times.

It's not costing me more to do so. I am not trying to justify spending money on genuine rims. I don't need justification.

This is just my opinion.

In regards to mass produced cars, I don't really know where you're going with it. I see this argument more as the Chinese Shaunguan* X5 rip offs etc not Nissan Vs Toyota Vs Ferrari or something Shaunguan*is just ripping off BMW with cheap execution. Nissan and Toyota and such continue to innovate their cars and develop their own identity.

Edited by ziptie

One thing that contributes to the issue is definitely 4 stud availability.

Varrstoens make 17x9/9.5 +0/15/20 in 4 stud. you cannot get TE37s in 4 stud in those sizes.

adding a 5 stud conversion on top of the cost of wheels makes them an expensive option. I just went through this - I was about to plonk down for the varrstoens, then I realised that Im not always gonna be able to buy midnight mods rotors to suit my S15 calipers, so i bought conversion parts and a set of enkeis.

All up it cost me about 3k including wheels, tires and parts. I guess I could have had some custom made 3 piece meisters in 4 stud for that price, but my old wheels were Meisters and decided to move to something new, so got RPF1s.

when you consider that rota/XXR/varrstoen are making these wheels in 4 stud, its not only saving them a few hundred in comparison to genuine wheels, but saving them the conversion to 5 stud and the time it takes to do that.

Not trying to prove you wrong. Just voicing my opinion.

Fair enough

To me wether you're going around or track or going to work, your still driving the car. So I want the best at all times.

The Best wot? are you only driving new and top of the line in the latest and greatest cars with all the new best addons money can by? becouse I still think your being selectivly ignorant with your arguments.

And second hand is defantly not the best of anything.

just as I would not by a second hand motorbike helmet becouse I cant prove how many gutters its kissed I personaly wont by second hand wheels for my cars for much the same reason but thats just my opinion

It's not costing me more to do so. I am not trying to justify spending money on genuine rims. I don't need justification.

This is just my opinion.

In regards to mass produced cars, I don't really know where you're going with it. I see this argument more as the Chinese Shaunguan* X5 rip offs etc not Nissan Vs Toyota Vs Ferrari or something Shaunguan*is just ripping off BMW with cheap execution. Nissan and Toyota and such continue to innovate their cars and develop their own identity.

ok justOne small example of many to help you understand what I was hinting at ,

Do you really think everything on your 180 was an original inovation by nissan?

aswell as it escaped the usual manafacturer cost shaving pre production to help sell more of them whilst making more money

No I dont think its all original Nissan ideas, they would take ideas from other people and further develop it. Chinese rip offs aren't about innovation or improving a product, creating their own identity. Its just directly copying an idea with the lowest cost products available.

Ffs what's wrong with you guys, people get whatever they can afford.

It's no different from going to A-marts and buying a shit *milkshake* leather look couch if you want something that works for a while, looks fine and is comfortable.

While joe smoe down the street might be able to afford to go down to nick scali (adelaide) and get a fully European imported Leather modular with built in recliners and cup holders.

But if you chose A-Mart, you can't bitch to Joe Smoe when your leather cracks and your recliners stop working.

Anyone who thinks a high quality construction 3piece forged wheel isn't worth it i you can afford it is probably just buying a cheap leather look couch to impress his friends or doing the same thing so it lasts and works as long as it's intended to for the price he paid

This whole debate is about what you can afford, what suits your intended use and not being a f**king tosser if you can't afford what some else got just because you got an inferior product.

Ill buy some cheap entry level Enkeis or maybe some of these XXR's new to the market for my missus Mazda 3 because its a brand new family shuttle and it doesn't need anymore than that and it also won't have a wheel explode at 100k's just going down the expressway.

But there's no way I would use such a wheel for what I put my weekend commuter and track car through because I want a quality produced wheel.

Accept each others choices and stfu

No I dont think its all original Nissan ideas, they would take ideas from other people and further develop it. Chinese rip offs aren't about innovation or improving a product, creating their own identity. Its just directly copying an idea with the lowest cost products available.

OkSeems now like your trying to draw a line in the sand on just how much copying is exceptable, although a lot of rotas are a very close design copy to some race wheels they are manafactured with a totaly diffrent proses specificly to target a different and somewhat larger market most people would call that innovation , also id think youd struggle to find any mainstream manafacturer that wouldnt call cost cutting to appeal to a larger market or simply make more money inovation.

as for identity personaly I think that the rota brand has a very strong identity around the world as a reputable cheep wheel manafacturer for road cars despite it not being recognised by car enthusiast s who like to look for any excuses to help them feel as there back yard build is better than others and the huge retarded google image smear campaign

Ffs what's wrong with you guys, people get whatever they can afford.

It's no different from going to A-marts and buying a shit *milkshake* leather look couch if you want something that works for a while, looks fine and is comfortable.

While joe smoe down the street might be able to afford to go down to nick scali (adelaide) and get a fully European imported Leather modular with built in recliners and cup holders.

But if you chose A-Mart, you can't bitch to Joe Smoe when your leather cracks and your recliners stop working.

Anyone who thinks a high quality construction 3piece forged wheel isn't worth it i you can afford it is probably just buying a cheap leather look couch to impress his friends or doing the same thing so it lasts and works as long as it's intended to for the price he paid

This whole debate is about what you can afford, what suits your intended use and not being a f**king tosser if you can't afford what some else got just because you got an inferior product.

Ill buy some cheap entry level Enkeis or maybe some of these XXR's new to the market for my missus Mazda 3 because its a brand new family shuttle and it doesn't need anymore than that and it also won't have a wheel explode at 100k's just going down the expressway.

But there's no way I would use such a wheel for what I put my weekend commuter and track car through because I want a quality produced wheel.

Accept each others choices and stfu

This.

This thread has run it's course.

Cheers,

Andy