Sign in to follow this  
Will.

S15 Cooling Issues

Hi guys I had some cooling issues during my track Day at Wakefield park a few weeks ago. I would do a 5-6 laps before my temperature gauge on my dash rise to H, once this happened I went back to the pits and coolant was pissing out of my overflow and by the time it stopped there would be no coolant in the radiator at all, bare in mind this has never happened on the street or through some spirited driving.

A few days before my track day, I did a full coolant flush along side with the installation of a nismo low thermostat, I'm 100% sure I installed the thermostat the correct way, I didn't bleed the radiator however, I found out after my track day that I needed to bleed it.

Could this be the case of all the coolant pissing out of the overflow resulting in the the car overheating? Are there similar cases like this?

Thanks will

standard or aftermarket radiator? front mount intercooler?

Standard Radiator, Yes front Mount inter cooler

In my opinion,

Not bleeding = air locks/pockets at high points = lack of cooling

FMIC = poorer air flow/temp to radiator = reduced cooling

Track day = more stress/heat produced by engine = higher requirement for extra cooling capacity.

Sounds like all three worked against you.

The bleeding will help as would a thinner FMIC or bigger radiator.... however a bigger radiator sometimes doesn't solve any problems, it just means it will give you a few more laps before it continues to overheat.

Edited by spectral

I had heating issues got mu rad flushed and found it was blocked. They gave it a good clean and so far it seems to be doing the trick...

Told you already Will, stock radiators don't like big, dirty front mouts taking all the cool(ish) air.

Koyo radiator and an oil cooler and you're set. Just did a day on Sunday and my water didn't get above 80, and oil didn't get above 100. And it was a 29C day.

S15 radiators seem to be a bit of a Nissan cost cutting excercise. S14 core is about 6mm thicker, never had any cooling issues with mine. When you refill the cooling system there is a bung on the coolant pipe on the LHS of the head, you unscrew it and fill until coolant comes out. After this you just need to burp the coolant system by running with the cap off and it should be sweet.

Had some cooling problems with my s15 while on the track - fixed with oil cooler. It's common for s15s to overheat on track without oil cooler apparently...

S15 radiators seem to be a bit of a Nissan cost cutting excercise. S14 core is about 6mm thicker, never had any cooling issues with mine. When you refill the cooling system there is a bung on the coolant pipe on the LHS of the head, you unscrew it and fill until coolant comes out. After this you just need to burp the coolant system by running with the cap off and it should be sweet.

It's easier to just fill the radiator up, leave the radiator cap off, open the bleeder on the coolant neck off the side of the head, wait for the thermostat to open and fill the motor up, then once the coolant starts pissing out the bleeder hole close it back up and top the radiator up.

You didn't bleed the cooling system, and car over heats ? What do you think the problem could be ???????????

Hey WIll,

Followed your build on JDMST for a while, great to see you getting out on the track :thumbsup:

Recommend getting a set of quality gauges, water temp, oil temp and pressure as a minimum so you monitor what's going on. The stock coolant temp on the cluster picks up water temp after the radiator. It's not very accurate and more or less an on/off switch. If the cars getting hot on that gauge its getting very hot.

My car's got thicker alloy rad, thermostatic oil cooler and I suspect a low-temp thermostat. At the track my coolant temp maxes at just under 100C when back in the pits after a run. That's temp at the engine outlet too (before the rad).

Just keep in mind your motor can get too cold. On the street I'm lucky to get 60 C coolant temps, maybe 70 on a hot day. Next time I pull apart the car I'm going to replace the thermo with a stock unit as I think this is why it's running too cold. My oil temps are also too cold on the street but I think this is due to sensor problems.

John had similar issues and ended up removing the Nismo thermo http://forum.jdmstyletuning.com/showthread.php?26278-My-S15-)/page9

You DO need an oil cooler if you want to track your s15 without cool-down laps in the middle of the session.