Sign in to follow this  
AnDyStYLe

GKTech S13/180sx subframe weld in reinforcement plates

Hi All,

I've got a spare subframe lying around that came with the purchase of Superpro nothalane/urathane bushes. I bought the subframe purely for the Superpro bushes as they were brand new and super cheap! Only that they were already pressed in, but thought coming with the subframe is a bonus!

I was looking to doing a direct replacement of my current one on the car, but I thought what the hell since I've got the subframe out I may as well strengthen it before it goes in, so I don't have to worry about it down the track.

I came across the GKTech plates (pictured below) and wanted some feedback on them. They're only $44 for the set which is peanuts.

img_7800_1.jpg

http://www.gktech.co...ent-plates.html

Before I go ahead and purchase them, just wanting opinions on what would be the most cost effective way.

Should I get these and get a fabricator to weld them up and pretty much just pay for their time (i.e. labour)?

Or, should I get the fabricator to make up the plates and weld them up?

If the latter, how much would it set me back approximately (i.e. for time and material)?

Note, I don't have access to a welder and don't look at doing this myself.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Also if any locals (Eastern Suburbs, Victoria) can do this for me shoot me a pm ^_^

Cheers,

Andy

It'll work out heaps cheaper to buy the kit and get it welded in. I recently did my subframe. I think it took under 2hrs to prep and weld the plates in. If you're paying someone to do it clean the paint off and mark out where they go. It will take them less than an hr to weld them in.

^ That's great piece of info there mate... Thanks!

Cheers,

Andy

Edit: With that said, anyone used these GKTech kits? Are they a proper fit and are all the plates in the kit sufficient and positioned in the correct locations to actually provide maximum strength?

Looks like as much as I did in my s14. Took me about an hour to cut out the shapes, so the kit option is heaps cheaper.

I'll be doing the same to my 33 when the time comes.

Should I get these and get a fabricator to weld them up and pretty much just pay for their time (i.e. labour)?

buy the plates and get a fabricator/welder to weld them in place

simple

if you were in sydney i would of done it for free just to help out another mod/Asian :)

simple

if you were in sydney i would of done it for free just to help out another mod/Asian :)

would you do it for me...??? i live in Syd and Im married to an asian does that count??????

867-03619234w.jpg

* Stupid watermark

Got it all lined up thanks to another very kind fellow ns.com brother.

Cheers,

Andy

simple

would you do it for me...??? i live in Syd and Im married to an asian does that count??????

send me a pm

^ Was awaiting him doing a search on himself on ns.com and magically appears in here to reply :lol:

Cheers,

Andy

^ Thanks mate...

So yeah, I've confirmed with Greg that they are 1.6mm laser cut steel.

Will this suffice?

Cheers,

Andy

I asked Greg the type of steel, however he advised that the grade wasn't specified when it went into production, it was only spec'd "steel".

Nonetheless, I'm happy enough to go ahead with the order. Any reinforcement is better then no reinforcement I guess ^_^

Cheers,

Andy

^ Thanks that's some great information!

Here's a pic I stole off zilvia.net showing the locations (including LCA)...

356549FE-86F8-4875-8BEA-DCDFB62DD45F-5168-000006B1785DCD6F.jpg

Edit: Do you supply these plates cazman?

Cheers,

Andy

^ lol yeah my bad, what I mean was do you do these as well since you're profession is fabrication :whistle:

I also recall a strengthen your subframe thread way back which I recall you contributing heavily in.

But yeah, you've answered it perfectly, "craftsmen" style. I've had Rex Kelway to do a job for us which was pretty much one off custom so I get what you mean.

Anyway, I believe plenty of people have bought these off Greg with no problems. It looks like it reinforces all areas that are required and ticks all boxes.

Cheers,

Andy

^ Was awaiting him doing a search on himself on ns.com and magically appears in here to reply laugh.png

Cheers,

Andy

You've gotta say his name 3 times before he'll appear.

GKTECH GKTECH GKTECH

As far as I could tell these are a direct copy of the Gp Sports kit, same plates, same locations, just much cheaper.

http://www.gpsports.co.jp/otr/traction/index.html

It braces all the arm mounting points and the diff mount.

Ahhh thanks for that, I couldn't find other manufacturers of these plates sold in a simple DYI kit.

Thought it was a GKTech innovation, like many of Greg's recent great products out there.

But yeah not surprised it isn't. Looks to be one of those earlier inspired by product :whistle:

For what it is and does, I ain't paying $160+ for the GP Sports ones. Wouldn't think much R&D goes into these things so GKTech will do the job.

Could get custom ones made up but as mentioned earlier looking for most cost effective method.

Cheers,

Andy

I just made all of mine from scratch and welded them in.

^ lol that's a bit overkill for my application.

Looks the biz though!

I've order the GKTech ones and awaiting delivery. I'll let you all know how it pans out.

Cheers,

Andy

they would still be better then nothing? cant really go backwards if your adding steeling / boxing shit.

I don't know if it applies to what goes into Silvia's, but I'd heard (good old gossip) that most suspension related stuff would be ruined by simply taking a welder to it - the steel is heat treated before it goes on the car, so any modifications should be pre-heated and cooled or something or rather? I didn't get to do enough materials science at uni, so this is purely gossip.

\/ This is the ideal way to genuinly brace and strengthen your frame.

Not sure what nismo charge but your looking something like $50~ per brace to have a similar version made from 32mm cage tubing.

Was interested in this and ran a search. Seems Nismo only make the Rear Member Braces for the R33/R34 GTR.

http://www.nismo.co....n/lb/brace.html

http://www.nengun.co...ember-brace-set

http://www.nismo.co....ember_brace.pdf

http://bcnr33gtr.blo...ear-member.html

Gave me some ideas though :)

Edited by pmod

I don't know if it applies to what goes into Silvia's, but I'd heard (good old gossip) that most suspension related stuff would be ruined by simply taking a welder to it - the steel is heat treated before it goes on the car, so any modifications should be pre-heated and cooled or something or rather? I didn't get to do enough materials science at uni, so this is purely gossip.

Not sure it applies to subframes, though. They're just a collection of pressed-steel pieces that are welded together.

Does not apply to sub frames

If your welding onto the coil over and stuf like that its a different story

But sub frames can be welded onto with out causing any problems

So... Got my hands on the GKTech plates, however the bloke that offered his services has gone quiet on us :rolleyes:

Anyone able to help or got any recommendations?

Cheers,

Andy

i wanna get these Gktech plates for my car as well but i just so could not be bothered pulling my sub frame out

ill do a trade with some one

ill weld in some ones plates onto their sub frame for free and in return you have to remove my sub frame and refit it for me