Sign in to follow this  
Stuss15

Extra cooling for s15 using aircon fan....

Hi guys, just wanted your thoughts on extra cooling for my s15.

My car runs at 80-82 degrees on the highway on a warm summers day through my apexi hand controller.

I run standard fan with shroud and wanted extra cooling for hot summer track days. Would there be any benifit to running my aircon fan on a switch when I'm on the track as well as my motor fan.

On the track it gets over 85 degrees and rises....

Thoughts?

Get a new fan hub and gktech fan blade setup.

I was looking at getting the fan from gktech to replace mine.

What's a fan hub?

Doesn't the gktech one bolt straight up?

koyorad radiator, tripple core. aluminimum.

buy a new hub, and if you really want to replace the fan blades. but biggest thing that helped me, was a new thermostat and new radiator. mine doesnt go over 83 on a hot day flogging it up a mountain range.

you can turn the ac fan on, using the PFC, but you need fc edit, or so im lead to beleive anyways, never tried, as the above fixed my heating issues

That thermo fan inside the shroud up against the radiator is for the AC?? :/

I did this for the full day session at QR in December, it helped a lot, I just wired it to a relay and switch

The extra fan won't do shit when your at speed. It will prob help when your waiting to go on the track tho.

Got a koyo rad already,

Stealth it comes on when you turn ac on.

I was just going to wire it in using some relays.

WhAts a new hub?

I have been using this setup for the last year in my s14a daily driven with no fan shroud and nismo thermostat that little sucker combined with both fans and even tho i dont have a shroud it wont go over 75 unless i use the ac i love it

On my s14a, the AC thermo will come on if the engine temps are running a little high. When I had a waterpump leaking and ran a little low in coolant, I was sitting in traffic (without the aircon on ) I noticed a very slight movement on the dash temp gauge (needle was pointing just above the "1" on the tacho) , and then the thermo fan kicked in. (100% stock car).

Yer that fan may come on but that's at a temp over 90 degrees and on the track that's not ideal

Yer that fan may come on but that's at a temp over 90 degrees and on the track that's not ideal

I have been using this setup for the last year in my s14a daily driven with no fan shroud and nismo thermostat that little sucker combined with both fans and even tho i dont have a shroud it wont go over 75 unless i use the ac i love it

Is it on constantly or did you wire it through a switch and relay.?

80-82 isn't a concern, if you read the post it says it gets well over 85 and rises.... On a warm trackday

I recently ran across this article http://www.enginebasics.com/Advanced%20Engine%20Tuning/Cooling%20Data%20Comparison.html

I think the important points were fan upgrade and ducting for airflow around rad. They used Altima fans which I guess would be equivalent of Maxima fans. wondering if anyone's done maxima fans b4

Edited by Skepticism

A lot of people also complain and say the standard setup with the fan shroud is the way to go.

When everyone above says get a new hub, what does that mean?

pretty sure the hub is just th adapter for other vehicles to run the SR gktech fan. dont know what ol mates on about.

I have a new set of Altima fans from the states going for $100 if anyone's keen?

That's what I thought. Why would I get a hub if the gktech fans a bolt up item.

Yours could be worn. It may not be locking up fully

this accomodated with a 10 year old radiator, that could have build up inside, it could be have feathers, leaves, shit in general stuck in the front of it...........

your thermostat could do with being changed if its 10 year old.

soooooooo with all of the above, get a koyorad, get a new thermostat, replace it all and bobs ya uncle ;) will not "overheat" as others have mentioned 85 isnt overheating...

mind you, the Power fc starts reducing timing after i believe 86 degrees per degree hotter, 1 degree of timing reduces. unless your tuner has raised this....

I have a koyo rad, maybe I should ask the question. How hot do your cars get on a 5-6 lap sprint in summer in qld. What modifications have you done to cool your car?

I've had a koyo 53mm rad in my last 2 cars, s15 and s13, usually in a 5-6 lap race temps don't get over 90 degrees. in a 10 lap race it gets into the low 90s. along as it isn't 105+ don't worry about it.

When I say hub, I mean the viscous hub that the fan blades bolt to.

Thanks guys, been a massive help. Will get a fan from gktech and maybe throw in a relay for the ad fan as an over kill. Hopefully keep temps under the 90's on the track.

not sure what the gktech clutch fan looks like but u can always 'upgrade' the the fan to an r33 unit (has an extra fin).

May also be worth getting some thin aluminium and bending/cutting it to fit between any gaps you have between your front bar and the fan shroud. You'll loose a reasonable amount of air going around the rad rather then thru it (the air will take the ath of least resistance, which is around the rad, ic, etc)

never had any problems on my track car with a stock rad, decent oil cooler, r33 clutch fan, stock shroud and the aluminium shrouding (as talked about above). Also removing your AC condenser will help

Yer, wanna keep my ac. Gktech one moves more air than the 33 one and its really affordable. Should really get an oil cooler and keep it as I have it but don't know much about fitting an oil cooler. Have a cover plate from gktech for the gaps already.

Is fitting an oil cooler quite simple and ok to have on a weekend driven street car?