Sign in to follow this  
bradsm87

Best way to get steering wheel closer to me and retain airbag?

I CAN NOT STAND the steering wheel position in my S15. I'm quite tall and tall ppl generally have long legs but arms not that much longer than average I guess.

I loved the deep steering wheel and boss kit on the S14 but I'm not interested in removing the airbag in this car because I'm not the only person who drives it and it could save a life one day!

Lengthen steering column?

Modify/Space the steering wheel?

I've already lowered the factory seat and the Engine/gearbox is going rearwards by about 40mm so now I only need to get the steering wheel rearward for that perfect seating position.

Any suggestions/thoughts/opinions?

after market momo air bag wheel with spacer on boss kit ? just an idea.

spacer.jpg

Momo airbag wheels only come as a factory replacement for some models of car. They're just re-trimmed factory wheels and don't bolt up to boss kits.

short of extending the steering column i don't see a way to make that happen - you could also space the adjuster down to bring the steering wheel lower if need be

I would have reservations of the legality or ability to engineer this, but how about retrofitting a collapsable telescopic steering column from another airbag-equipped car? Would be the only thing that will tick all your boxes, as an airbag close to a short persons face is usually more dangerous than no airbag at all, so any solution has to be adjustable.

The telescopic column in my old Supra moved at least 40mm, and the column in my old man's Jetta moved quite a bit further.

Edited by pmod

Get arm lengthening surgery. Or leg shortening surgery.

Or penis enlargement surgery, wrap it around 6 o'clock and steer with your hips.

I don't know if either are the best way, or legal (yet) but being in a similar situation, I considered the following.

1) Stripping the steering wheel, and welding in plates to space the steering wheel mount further from the wheel itself.

2) Getting a machine shop to make a adaptor which mounts to the wheel and a boss kit at the other end.

In the end I prototyped option 2....attached is a photo, where it is attached to the boss kit. The issues would be the height of the boss kit and the quality of the fit (seems ok)

If I was getting this done again Id use a shorter axle/shaft thing and a thinner base plate and probably a lighter material.....

20130116_205821_zpsf6054222.jpg

Ill let you know on legalalities when I speak to the engineer......(after I get everything else on the car sorted)

Edited by CraZeeE

move seat forwards, tada! you are closer to the wheel

but seriously, i doubt you could move the wheel closer legally at all

Scouring fleaBay, I noticed this. With extended studs and new column mounts welded, it may be possible to use it in the revserse to what it's designed to do, which is to make up the shaft distance when the rack is positioned forward of the crossmember mounts. Could be an alternative to the boss hubs people have suggested, but definitely more of a pain in the ass.

http://www.ebay.com....=item27ce7ce1f9

Edited by pmod

That would only work for S13 or R32 but the later models have a slip joint so I may be able to simply move the column mount bolts and pull on the column. Cheers.

No problem. Update us if you end up implementing a solution :)