Sign in to follow this  
god084

180sx Type X circuit build

I've been checking out a lot of the circuit orientated builds on here lately and figured its at least time to put up a link and some basic info to my 180sx build in progress.

The plan started out simple enough to have a mild powered dedicated circuit s chassis but soon got out of hand on the fabrication front. So now its a lightweight mild horsepowered build that I hope to run in supersprints, door to door events such as iRace and some hill climbs too.

http://www.facebook.com/ProFab180sx

my 180 2.jpg

Edited by god084

hi there, looking forward to knowing more abotu this car. I saw you had some Porsche full slicks on RPF1's.. do you mind letting me know what size they are?

Edited by SR20_DET

hi there, looking forward to knowing more abotu this car. I saw you had some Porsche full slicks on RPF1's.. do you mind letting me know what size they are?

Hi mate. Cheers. Its coming along now. The slicks are 25/64 which means 250 wide and a 640mm overall diameter.

Does anyone know how I can move this to the motorsports build section?

i look foward to seeing this thing getting built

Not long now mate. I hope to be trackside by the end of the month. Just need to fab up a few things like cooler piping, air intake piping, fuel cell completed, all fluid lines installed, complete the re-wire and then its off to tuning!

i look foward to seeing this thing getting built

Not long now mate. I hope to be trackside by the end of the month. Just need to fab up a few things like cooler piping, air intake piping, fuel cell completed, all fluid lines installed, complete the re-wire and then its off to tuning!

awsome! must be exciting having your car almost ready to race, i checked it out on FB, its defently very cool

Awesome! must be exciting having your car almost ready to race, i checked it out on FB, its defently very cool

Yeah but it still feels like a long way to go! I'll be excited when i'm pulling on the gloves.

P.S. how did you put your FB link below all your posts?

Great news. Dan from ART is helping me get towards the last hurdle as its slowed down a bit due to a soon to be new addition to the PFRE family. What a legend!

Great looking car! i love how more and more 180's are touching circuit and time attack! I cant wait to join in :)

Does anyone know how I can move this to the motorsports build section?

Will arrange this for you.

Great looking car! i love how more and more 180's are touching circuit and time attack! I cant wait to join in smile.png

Cheers mate. Yeah its about time! Such a simple way to get amongst it all without spending huge dollars, in saying that this one has gotten out of hand real quickly ha ha

Will arrange this for you.

Legend. Thanks mate

Driveline completed! Just need to get fuel to it and then hook the brakes back up then its all re wiring and tuning

Exedy HD clutch

IMG_0312.jpg

Custom catch can by PFRE

IMG_0307.jpg

Edited by god084

T28 ceramic coated and all bolted up ready for the cooler piping

537872_610472975647208_631893979_n.jpg

Floor repainted. Should probably give the cage a good lick of paint too as it has alot of chips and dings in the old paint

IMG_0288.jpg

IMG_0289.jpg

Font bar mounted, cooler and radiator in. Also fitted up the alloy air ducting

IMG_0290.jpg

Edited by god084

It looks good I do like the front end a lot of work went into it.

I'm a little confused though you've gone overboard on the front end but your cage is quiet basic? It's excellent for crash protection but for chassis stiffness it needs a few minor things.

If your going to repaint your cage I'd seriously consider tagging it to the a pillar and b pillar this will seriously increase the stiffness of your chassis in the photos it doesn't look like this has been done?.

I'd also add another 3 bars one going across the rear tunnel and tagging into the tunnel. Another two attaching the rear cross bar section that goes to your towers to your main hoop. I would attach the bars where your upper door bars are. This will mean instead of that section only having 2 welded points it now has 4 considerably increasing the strength of your chassis. Stiffness is speed supercars are a good example of that they have to meet a minimum weight so they just put bars everywhere allowing the suspension to do its job.

If you don't want to add the bars you should definitely look at tagging the pillars it will be the biggest gain and the easiest to do.

Just my thoughts

Edited by maxmod

It looks good I do like the front end a lot of work went into it.

I'm a little confused though you've gone overboard on the front end but your cage is quiet basic? It's excellent for crash protection but for chassis stiffness it needs a few minor things.

If your going to repaint your cage I'd seriously consider tagging it to the a pillar and b pillar this will seriously increase the stiffness of your chassis in the photos it doesn't look like this has been done?.

I'd also add another 3 bars one going across the rear tunnel and tagging into the tunnel. Another two attaching the rear cross bar section that goes to your towers to your main hoop. I would attach the bars where your upper door bars are. This will mean instead of that section only having 2 welded points it now has 4 considerably increasing the strength of your chassis. Stiffness is speed supercars are a good example of that they have to meet a minimum weight so they just put bars everywhere allowing the suspension to do its job.

If you don't want to add the bars you should definitely look at tagging the pillars it will be the biggest gain and the easiest to do.

Just my thoughts

Thanks for that mate. I'll definitely look into it as its easy enough to do it now while its all still apart.

also while you've got the welder out, it looks like the horizontal bar that goes under the dash isnt fully welded where it joins at the bottom of the A pillar. digging the car though, Cant wait to see what it looks like in one piece - that colour is not something you dont see too often

That's a good spot boost bus all points of a roll cage must be welded all the way around they won't give you any acceptions on this no matter how hard it is to get too. That's for a cams log booked car anyway

also while you've got the welder out, it looks like the horizontal bar that goes under the dash isnt fully welded where it joins at the bottom of the A pillar. digging the car though, Cant wait to see what it looks like in one piece - that colour is not something you dont see too often

Cheers mate! I saw it a few weeks ago and totally forgot about it!

Had a rain day today so went in and cleaned back all the bar work and chassis where we will weld up the gussets to the A and B pillars plus the rear strut towers. I've got a horizontal bar in the centre of my main hoop so I don't know how much stiffness the horizontal bar running across the tunnel will help. Also sand blasted the rocker cover and welded up a speed flow fitting for the catch can and also plugged the breather hole.

Sounds good, anything will help that bar across the tunnels more to give the cage something down low to hold it together. Imagine cutting the bottom off a can and adding a bar half way down the bottoms still wobbly. Yes there is the chassis that it attaches too but the chassis is pretty pathetic really you know yourself how many times you would have blown through the crappy thin contaminated steel.

My car will end up more like a children's play ground than a car

Sounds good, anything will help that bar across the tunnels more to give the cage something down low to hold it together. Imagine cutting the bottom off a can and adding a bar half way down the bottoms still wobbly. Yes there is the chassis that it attaches too but the chassis is pretty pathetic really you know yourself how many times you would have blown through the crappy thin contaminated steel.

My car will end up more like a children's play ground than a car

Hmm too true. Good analogy too! Stop giving me more work I just want to finish this thing ha ha! Better to do it right and once then to keep coming back to it

Had a search on the net and through the forums but nothing really conclusive. Is it worth dropping the sub frame out and switching to solid subframe bushes or even changing out the subframe for a s14/15/what ever else fits. I know obviously its better but is it day and night better. Just trying to keep costs down for now unless its completely necessary as I just want to get back on the track!

Its not going to be night and day difference and depends on the rest of your setup. If you havnt yet bought adjustable arms, its not that much extra to pick up an s14 cradle. Keep in mind though that will also push your track out by about 10mm a side so there may be issues with tyre/guard clearance. Will also need a s14 diff cover. Then if you're going to that effort you may as well brace it up and repaint.

Like i said, its not going to be night and day difference but s14/15 will offer some improvment and the fastest s-cars all run them.

Can always run what you hace and build up a replacement cradle setup for later on when the time is right.

I would say subframe collars would be pretty much a must though in the mean time. The stock bushes would be flogged and adding these will definitely tighten it up a lot

Thanks mate. Yeah that was along the lines of my thinking but it does start to add up quickly. I still have the factory rear traction arms so maybe I'll get them sorted and the collars for now then look at setting up a 14/15 subframe ready to drop in when I'm ready

im still using the s13 cradle with just collars and adjustable camber arms and I still have more rear grip than front grip. I haven't bolted in my s14 cradle yet due to the tyre clearance issues I will have.

Nice build.

I changed to a s15 cradle and it's a massive difference in traction. Makes it soooo much easier to get the power down out of corners. If you can pick one up for a reasonable price it's well worth it.

Nice build.

I changed to a s15 cradle and it's a massive difference in traction. Makes it soooo much easier to get the power down out of corners. If you can pick one up for a reasonable price it's well worth it.

Cheers mate. Getting there now! I'll start keeping an eye out for one!

Lots of news! Tank done, Cooler piping and air intake done, alloy dash and centre switch console done. Tune on the 23rd! Bring it on! Really looking forward to getting back into this rig!

Sign in to follow this