Sign in to follow this  
GKTECH

We are building a tube chassis drift car, with the goal of putting it into production

I guess this belongs in the drift forum as this is the start of a dedicated tube chassis drift car with the goal of us putting them into production.

Gary Castillo from Design Craft Fabrication in California is building the prototype car (if you haven't heard of Gary, google him) based around a 240sx that is being converted to RHD.

The prototype will be built up to a running stage and then it will be stripped down, the complete chassis will be 3D scanned and then we'll optimize the design further on screen with the idea of a tube chassis being put into production assuming all goes to plan.

Here's how the $900 car started and here's where we're at so far. The build is expected to take around 10-12 weeks and MotoIQ will be following the build.

309893_469825989732990_1542937756_n.jpg

314168_469826029732986_1222341962_n.jpg

540095_477053489010240_370229741_n.jpg

NOTE: this is pounds, not kgs

530742_477054845676771_1320223868_n.jpg

482134_477055232343399_843303692_n.jpg

542345_477057045676551_1214269781_n.jpg

At this stage the specs of the build are still being decided (really fast) as we're in talks with sponsors however an SR20 is 100% guaranteed and we'll be running a Z33 6 speed box thanks to nissanparts.cc ($1,532 brand new!), along with a new range of chromoly suspension arms that we'll be releasing in the coming months, our billet aluminium knuckles front and rear, Wilwood brakes all round, Enkei RPF1's, etc. etc.

Enjoy smile.png

Greg

why not get the chassis built in australia there are so awesome awesome awesome chassis builders here in australia

20121203_163129_zps920686de.jpg

similar to that ^^ ?

anywho. will be an interesting build..

why not get the chassis built in australia there are so awesome awesome awesome chassis builders here in australia

The US is around half the price in terms of cost, there's an amazing amount of exposure that goes along with it (10x more people in the States) and the US is a growing opportunity for us.

Gary does some amazing work and even if it were the same price I would have got him to build the car. Andrew Hawkins, Luke Fink and Diago Saito all vouch for his work.

Yep, that's the sort of thing WPX-X7

The US is around half the price in terms of cost, there's an amazing amount of exposure that goes along with it (10x more people in the States) and the US is a growing opportunity for us.

Gary does some amazing work and even if it were the same price I would have got him to build the car. Andrew Hawkins, Luke Fink and Diago Saito all vouch for his work.

awwwwww no worries i was just wondering thats all

im a big fan of grooveriders work http://nissansilvia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=500673

this is should be a very exciting build greg im sure your going to have heaps of people following it

This is relative to my interest. I see big things happening.

Speedtek Industries in Thailand are helping with a heap of the body work (firbreglass body shell, fibreglass doors, fibreglass hatch, CF RHD dash etc.)

Will it show up? Will it be real CF or just fibreglass? Etc

Speedtek Industries in Thailand are helping with a heap of the body work (firbreglass body shell, fibreglass doors, fibreglass hatch, CF RHD dash etc.)

Will it show up? Will it be real CF or just fibreglass? Etc

I've ordered heaps of parts through Speedtek and never had an issue. Ie. Diff, turbo, manifold, injectors, cams and now a whole bunch of other stuff.

That said, we're still in talks as time may not permit for us to get it from Thailand as Gary wants the car finished within 10 weeks

Awesome stuff Greg! Gary is a champ!

Edited by MeZ

Will this be able to compete anywhere in Aus? Current rules don't allow full tube chassis as far as i know.

Awesome stuff Greg! Gary is a champ!

He is indeed!

Will this be able to compete anywhere in Aus? Current rules don't allow full tube chassis as far as i know.

This isn't confirmed as yet but seeing as Nigel has almost finished his car and Holfords are working on their 350z now that their S14 is sold I'd imagine that someone will let it compete. That said, this car will be built and probably pulled back down for 3D scanning before it sees the track.

Here's hoping tube frame cars never make their way into ADGP.

They could have their own category or something.

gunna be pretty cool to see this get built!

also would be good to see a category where there is no limitations on design or suspension set up, sports sedan drifting!!

also would be good to see a category where there is no limitations on design or suspension set up, sports sedan drifting!!

Here's the last car that Gary just finished building.. Built for RedBull soap box derby

(true story!)

391971_10151480798222323_125281019_n.jpg

I've never personally had an issue with Aleks and I know many many people that have purchased off him without issues. He's sponsoring a whole bunch of parts for the build and is helping a lot with the sourcing of parts and info for the VE head

Can this not turn into a aleks k shit storm thread?

And stupid question. But will this thing still resemble a s13/180? Same wheelbase/width/two seats? Etc

Just curious

Agreed, deleted.

Anyway. Awesome work as always GKTECH, looking forward to the build.

info for the VE head

Don't think he knows that much on ve heads

I remember when I first got my car tuned with the ve head and a turbonetics gtk550 the car made very linear power and he said it was because of The turbo

I replied it was because of the cylinder head

Well he wouldn't listen because clearly he knew every thing there is to know about turbos and ve heads

Anyways I wanted to make more power and upgraded to a precision 6262 and guess what it was still linear

And stupid question. But will this thing still resemble a s13/180? Same wheelbase/width/two seats? Etc

Just curious

It will be a 180. I've ordered a full Type X kit for it (under 1k brand new in the US lol), it will use an S14 rear subframe and run a factory cross member. It will have 2 seats, run an S13 dash etc. etc.

Z33 box ordered. Brand new from Nissan US for $1,532. Can't go wrong!

info for the VE head

Don't think he knows that much on ve heads

I remember when I first got my car tuned with the ve head and a turbonetics gtk550 the car made very linear power and he said it was because of The turbo

I replied it was because of the cylinder head

Well he wouldn't listen because clearly he knew every thing there is to know about turbos and ve heads

Anyways I wanted to make more power and upgraded to a precision 6262 and guess what it was still linear

Sorry, I should have been clearer. It was more based around sourcing parts. That said, I'm scrapping the VE head as I don't have time for it so we'll stick with the DET for now.

That said, I don't want to discuss Aleks in here. He's supplied some parts for this build, that's all.

No ve head any more ? If you need help getting a head I can get p11 heads fairly easy I can also get p12's as well at a higher price tho

I reckon stick with the ve head its worth the work

I don't have the time to get the VE head parts or put together as Gary wants the full build finished in 10-12 weeks (that's the plan). And, I've got to draw the line somewhere in terms of cost. This car was originally only going to be put together as a rolling shell so it could then be disassembled for 3D scanning.

More parts ordered today:

Z33 6 speed box (brand new from Nissan US)

Z33 to SR adapter plate

Cusco engine mounts

SR20 motor (S13 DET)

Lexan windows all round from Plastics 4 Performance UK

Still a MASSIVE list of parts left to go and adding every second. I think it's going to take me 10 weeks just to get all the parts together

it couldnt take that long to get al the ve parts together ??

it's a combination of getting the parts together, building it etc. I also want to keep it as "S13" as possible and then there's also the extra 3k+ that it would cost. It's just easier to keep it DET.

What z33 adaptor kit are you using? I'm very keen to go down this rite with my s15...