Sign in to follow this  
s13k's

R32 GTR Din Gauges In S13

Ok so I did heaps of research on this before and no ones ever done it (well, on the internet) so here it goes.

I bought a R32 GTR Din Gauges from ebay and I have to get this straight before installation.

I made this wiring "diagram" but it doesnt seem right, can anyone have a look and see if it is?

I got all my info from here: http://forums.gtrcan...-gts-t-r32.html

Thanks in advance, my auto electric skills arent the best.

ps. Heres a proper diagram from a GTR owners/service manual. I dont have a clue what it means.

Ile6nYr.jpg

Edited by s13q's

So I kind of figured out the pin out from the wiring diagram, can anyone confirm it? Does anyone know if Jaycar supply the parts to make a new loom?

jj41vs.jpg

I guess Ill be forever alone on this lol, Ill make a proper guide soon. So far I have figured out that I need a GTR R32 Oil temp sensor and Boost sensor since aftermarket ones wont work with these gauges. If Im bothered Ill make a guide, surprised people havent done this mod yet.

From memory jdm s14 had a similar gauge set up to the gtr not sure if it was any easier to wire tho good luck with it bud

Edited by nissanqld

From memory jdm s14 had a similar gauge set up to the gtr not sure if it was any easier to wire tho good luck with it bud

Yeah I read up about that, installation is a bit different.

I found this guide, even if translated its hard to understand lol.

http://minkara.carview.co.jp/en/userid/134957/car/528349/1595625/note.aspx

have you considered aftermarket din gauges?

Like defi for example http://www.defi-shop...in/summary_din/

Not too expensive and all the sensors are included.

Yeah I have but I really like the OEM look, its something different and if I can hook this all up Im sure others would do it aswell

From the best i can figure out, you've got this part right.

So I kind of figured out the pin out from the wiring diagram, can anyone confirm it? Does anyone know if Jaycar supply the parts to make a new loom?

jj41vs.jpg

If you can get hold of a plug it would look like this.

Gauge.jpg

Or you could attach the wires along those traces somewhere.

Hope this helps

Thanks man, I will probably connect the Illumination up to the ash tray lighter and grounds to the metal dashboard bracket behind the headunit.

Is grounding multiple wires in one spot okay?

ps. I guess this guys method is the best, he has just connected all the grounds to make it all easy to work with.

p4.jpg

Edited by s13q's

I e got no clue when it comes to electrical stuff, but I have always wanted one if the factory Nissan din gauge sets.

How much would it cost to get someone to do the wiring and instal?

Not much, the wiring is pretty simple. Tracking down the sensors on the other hand...

So what sensors are needed?

You will need OEM Nissan sensors. I tracked a Oil Temp one from a R32 GTR for $5 from SAU. You will to need to ask around since they are next to nothing and usually thrown out. If you want to hook up a R32 din gauge set you will need just a Oil Temp sensor and boost sensor from a R32. If you happen to find a S14 din gauge set you will need a OEM Nissan Oil Pressure sensor and boost sensor (does S14 have them?). I have heard that Z32 sensor do the job but research before you buy anything.

Thats the hard part done, hooking it all up is easy once you have the wiring diagram.

I can possibly build you a custom loom so its simply plug and play :)

Ill make a full guide/tutorial on how to do it so you can try it yourself ;)

Edited by s13q's

Thanks man, I will probably connect the Illumination up to the ash tray lighter and grounds to the metal dashboard bracket behind the headunit.

ps. I guess this guys method is the best, he has just connected all the grounds to make it all easy to work with.

Tying all the grounds together should be fine. If it worked for that picture you posted, then no reason it shouldn't work for you.

Tying all the grounds together should be fine. If it worked for that picture you posted, then no reason it shouldn't work for you.

Yeah Ill update this thread once I get it working.

Today I picked up a GTR Oil Temp sensor for $5, pretty much got everything for now.

Can I test the oil temp gauge/sensor if I hook the gauges up to a 12v battery and put the tip of the sensor in 100 degree water? Or will that mess it up?

Do you have a multimeter? To test the sensor if its a single wire sensor, which I'm guessing it is, put one lead on the plug and the other on the thread of the sensor. Measure the resistance at room temperature and then in boiling water, resistance should go up or down, i cant remember at the moment.

Do you know the part number of the sensor? If you can find a datasheet for it, it will give you resistance values at certain temps.

To test the gauge you should just be able to hook it all up.

This may or may not make sense, I'm half asleep at the moment

Edited by panda101

Do you have a multimeter? To test the sensor if its a single wire sensor, which I'm guessing it is, put one lead on the plug and the other on the thread of the sensor. Measure the resistance at room temperature and then in boiling water, resistance should go up or down, i cant remember at the moment.

Do you know the part number of the sensor? If you can find a datasheet for it, it will give you resistance values at certain temps.

To test the gauge you should just be able to hook it all up.

This may or may not make sense, I'm half asleep at the moment

I want to test the sensor because I want to make sure its a OEM Nissan one off a GTR because its the only one that will work with the gauges. I can hook everything up to a 12V battery but my main concern was that would the water damage the sensor or not? I can just get the reading off the gauge then.

The reason i said test it with a multimeter first and compare it to the datasheet was because once you hook it up to test it, if you get an odd reading you'll know straight away weather its the gauge or sensor.

I don't think heating it in water will affect it, aren't the tips of them usually in the oil stream anyway?

If you don't want to mix the electricity and water, just hold it with a pair of pliers and heat it up before hooking it up to the gauge. It will only cool a few degrees. Or you could hook it all up and heat it with a hair drier or heat gun.

Ok I have a related question.

I have found one of the Pulsar gtir triple din gauge sets.

It has oil temp, oil pressure and boost. I assume these are pretty much the same in terms of wiring?

Does the fact that these ones have both oil pressure and temp make the instal any more difficult?

Will I have to T them both off the factory oil pressure switch outlet next to the oil filter on the block?

Or would the S14 have another fitting somewhere as some of the jdm kouki's had the oil pressure gauge from factory?

Hope this makes sense???

Ok I have a related question.

I have found one of the Pulsar gtir triple din gauge sets.

It has oil temp, oil pressure and boost. I assume these are pretty much the same in terms of wiring?

Does the fact that these ones have both oil pressure and temp make the instal any more difficult?

Will I have to T them both off the factory oil pressure switch outlet next to the oil filter on the block?

Or would the S14 have another fitting somewhere as some of the jdm kouki's had the oil pressure gauge from factory?

Hope this makes sense???

What I got from going through 600 pages of Nissan service books is that the GTR and GTiR oil temp sensors are exactly the same. See below below.

http://www.nissan-ca...=img&idimg=6245

Im 95% sure you will need a GTiR boost sensor (like in the link above) unless its the same as a GTiR one but the oil pressure should be able to be hooked up to your existing sensor, provided its stock. You can get sump plug adapters so your temp sensor could go there.

My advice: Just get a S14 Din gauges, it will be easier to install (especially if you get the harness) and looks the part. :thumbsup:

Ill be making a tutorial how to fit a R32 din when I get everything, so stay put until then you want to know how to do it. Should be the same as any other OEM din gauges.

post-4106-12514444639817_thumb.jpg

21385400066_large.jpg

Edited by s13q's

Yea I want one of the s14 ones but some people want way too much. One guy wanted $200 for it. Where I can't get the gtir one forl like $80

I already have a sandwich plate set up for an existing oil pressure gauge. So can I tap the oil pressure sensor I need into one of the ports on the sandwich plate? That way I can keep the factory oil pressure warning light functioning??

Or are the factory GTR and gtir sensors a different thread size?

Edited by greens14

Yea I want one of the s14 ones but some people want way too much. One guy wanted $200 for it. Where I can't get the gtir one forl like $80

I already have a sandwich plate set up for an existing oil pressure gauge. So can I tap the oil pressure sensor I need into one of the ports on the sandwich plate? That way I can keep the factory oil pressure warning light functioning??

Or are the factory GTR and gtir sensors a different thread size?

Yeah okay, if you have a sandwich plate then thats even better. Ive read that the thread for the sensor is a odd one but no ones confirmed it. I still need to go see what the actual size is and Ill let you know.

That sounds even better keeping the warning light, Im not knowledgable about S14 sensor but Id play it safe and get GTiR sensors all round, you can get them off wreckers for cheap.

Heres a list of what you would need in terms of material.

- GTiR Din Gauge

- GTiR Oil Temp and Pressure sensor

- GTiR boost sensor (you never know, the S14 one may work with it so try it)

- Wires

- Round/Circle Crimp Terminals

You dont even have to solder if you dont want to, crimping is fine. Im in the process of breaking down the GTiR circuit board for you and Ill put it up later tonight.

Its a easy job once you know what to do ;)

p.s. The S14 dins are expensive because they were a factory option/only came on K's JDM versions in 97 or 98. GTiR and GTR ones came standard.

Edit: So here we go

2luvv4y.jpg

Notes:

- You can connect all the grounds together (like in the GTR one) and just ground them in one place. Dashboard bracket its the best.

- Connect the Ignition wires in whichever wire that gives voltage when in ACC so your gauges arent on 24/7. You can use a multi meter, use a S14 wiring diagram or ask here on NS to find out which wire it is.

- OEM Nissan sensors only have 1 wire from the sensor.

- Connect the lights+ to the ashtray lights. Cause it turns on with the Parkers/headlights and makes it a more professional install. You can connect them to the Ignition but they will be on even during the day.

- The bulbs you see are wedge types which is a lucky, all you do it wedge both the + and - wires in the appropriate locations and no soldering needs to be done.

Edited by s13q's

Well I got lucky and found an S14 one for sale in Japan for a good price. So I grabbed it.

Is the diagram above for the Gtir or S14?

That really helps bro!

I can use the z32 oil pressure sensor which i will try and get from a wrecker, and the volts wont need anything apart from a wire to a power source....is that correct?

Edited by greens14

Well I got lucky and found an S14 one for sale in Japan for a good price. So I grabbed it.

Is the diagram above for the Gtir or S14?

That really helps bro!

I can use the z32 oil pressure sensor which i will try and get from a wrecker, and the volts wont need anything apart from a wire to a power source....is that correct?

That was a GTiR, S14 one is very similar to the GTR one. Why dont you just use the factory sensor? Itll be compatible and you will keep the warning light.

Volts can be connected to the ACC of the ignition. Just link them like the grounds.

Isn't the factory sensor only an oil pressure switch, not a sender unit?

Isn't the factory sensor only an oil pressure switch, not a sender unit?

Im pretty sure it can be hooked up to a gauge. But not sure about that,anyone comfirm? Just use a Z32 one then, they are next to nothing.

Can anyone confirmt aht the 300zx oil pressure sensor are the same as the Skyline gtst ones?

The part numbers look the same.

Can anyone confirmt aht the 300zx oil pressure sensor are the same as the Skyline gtst ones?

The part numbers look the same.

If its this part number the one in the photo below then yes it is the same.

$%28KGrHqJ,!hoE5%29dv5HYUBOhjIcV0Vg~~60_35.JPG

It looks like the Z32 oil pressure sensor is the same as the GTR and GTSt sensor across the R31/32/33/34 series.

I will confrim this as soon as the one i ordered arrives. Good to know for future reference i guess.