Sign in to follow this  
ActionDan

Budget CA S13 Track Car - Upgrades time...

230 these days I think...

I like your plan re: raising to level out the arms and increase the caster... I think from just those two you'll see a significant improvement.

Also wasn't too sure if I skipped over it, but what pressure do you run your tyres at?

Ahh that would help a bit then. What turbo these days? If my comp tests comes back bad I'll freshen the bottom end up and put something bigger on and aim for similar power.

If I remember rightly I think it was 30ish hot.

I try to run mine around 32 hot... I tend to forget to check them after a session, and at Wakefield I ran the day and only checked them at the end... Found out I was on around 28 hot or something stupid. Haha

I find 32 works well for my tyres, but you might need to play around with yours a little. It does vary somewhat.

I'm still running the 2871r... It's somewhat responsive... I think it only really gets laggy in the back section before the front straight.

I was looking at some of the hypergear stuff, .ooks decent. See how this comp test comes back tonight, if it's fine, I'll keep driving it til it dies.

Best idea yet. Heh

If you get your suspension sorted out to the point where you feel comfortable driving then just leave it until something breaks, or you can't go any faster. :D

I think these tyres will be maxed in the low 40s to 39s.

OK... results are in. 150-155 on all 4, good enough for me.

No rebuild or new turbo just yet, assuming oil in the exhaust is left over from catch can over flowing and draining into exhaust through Morosso valve.

I most likely won't make the next track day on the 10th. Going to get Caster arms and buy my own aligning gear so I never have to think about it again. (trailer to workshop, pay someone etc).

That stuff won't arrive in time, BUT I am going ot make a call as one of my clients has the BMW laser aligner in his workshop so if they're open this weekend and I can get caster arms before then, I'm in with a chance... But it's a slim chance and I won't be busting my balls as my other good mate is definitely out for this one.

Are you getting the turn plates for alignment? I was thinking about this but couldn't find turn plates for a reasonable price

Wasn't planning on it, was looking at something like this setup which does not require a turn plate for caster, it includes some sort of triangle but I'm waiting on his video on how that works before I commit.

That said, I've seen some DIY solutions that seemed OK so we'll see what's needed first.

http://www.tenhulzenautomotive.com/store/p4/Two-Wheel_Alignment_Package%C2%A0.html

Those toe plates are all I use. And then get a spirit level app on your phone and use that to determine camber. just gotta make sure the surface is level, and calibrate the app first.

share the video if you can i would be interested to know how that works and does it stay accurate when turning wheels etc. the rest looks really good in that kit it is tempting

This doesn't show how they do caster, I've been talking to them and waiting for him to upload a new video.

for the cast arms i would go the rose joint type arms, do GKtech still have them, i know they use a nylon liner that helps prolone the life of the bearing.

Got a deal on some Cusco Caster arms, Freshly painted R32 LCA's with new inner bushes and Nagisa roll centre adjusters.

That should sort the front. but what's the best option for the back? Was going to get solid subframe bushes as they apparently raise the subframe up and help fix Roll Centre in the rear (GKTech kit or something similar). It was suggested I go S14 rear subframe as it apparently has better geometry. that apparently means adding some spacers to rear toe arms as the mount on the S14 subframe is wider, but apparently everything else is the same, which is odd as I thought the S14 subframe was wider by 10mm each side or something, which would mean swaybar doesn't fit. I have the R32 GT-R Bar.

Thoughts? Just add subframe bushes or worth swapping subframes? I was looking at Skyline rear calipers also, ditching drum handbrake and buying inline hydro handbrake or not running one at all.

Started work last night, car shifted on the stands while I was under it, shit myself lol

Only had limited time so got passenger caster arm out and loosed all bolts on LCA, getting the bolts out is a pain though so working on that.

11282577_10153839848939838_1764218294_o.jpg

No real progress, busy with house projects and threads about suspension shit.

Hubs are out, just working out what I do from here.

Was looking at drilling new holes for LCA to get more camber and improve LCA angle, if the RCA's don't do it enough, and gain some track, but to check that I need to put it all back together, plus I wanted to set bump and droop as per MCA gospel so I'm doing that as well.

Once I'm done on the front I'll move to the back where I'm thinking I'll shim the diff as the subframe will come out for the subframe bushes (roll centre adjustment and to replace old shit) If need be I'll run some small hub centric spacers and grab some longer wheel studs so the back is matched to the front (yes I realise S13s run wider front track than rear, I'm just talking about keeping the ratio the same). I will only do that if I end up drilling new LCA holes up front.

Still looking at buying sme DIY aligning gear for home - Something like this: http://www.tenhulzenautomotive.com/store/p4/Two-Wheel_Alignment_Package%C2%A0.html

did you ever get the video for how they do castor without turn plates?

Not as yet, but he explained it as a pre-cut angle, you take a camber measurement, turn the wheel a specific amount to line up the triangle against the gauge (which will give known wheel turn angle) then take another camber measurement and from that you get caster.

My only concern is that there's bind in the suspension. Ideally you'd raise the car a touch, turn the wheel then lower the car again, but then you might not end up lined up with the triangle when suspension is loaded again.

There professional camber/caster gauge product also mentions it but has the angles cut into one of the mounts.

The system I'm looking at has the toe plates as well so the triangle is used instead.

Hey mate,

Do you have any recent thoughts on those TRW brake pads?

I saw you thinking about changing spring rates a few pages back, I have HSD HR coilovers in my S14 and went from 8/7 to 7/5, I also changed to a 250mm rear spring (versus the normal 200mm). This setup worked really well for me, but I was setting it up more for general fun driving (inc. Tarmac rally) than dedicated track stuff like yours.

Even so, it has heaps more grip everywhere and drives a lot better - maybe just some food for thought.

Pads are OK. I think the rotors are just about done though as the car has never pulled up better than when it had brand new rotors and the new QFM pads, I got a second set of pads after the first but it has never pulled up as well since.

For the money I have no issues with these pads, but I've only used them for one track day.

Why the change in spring length? More progressive?

I just finished chucking the front end back in last night quickly as I need to move it shortly for a party in the shed. When I get it back in I'll be checking droop/bump etc.

Still contemplating spring rate change.

You there Dan?

Hows the car going? Sort out your suspension issues?

Yeah I'm here mate.

Been working on a HJ statesman. My partners deceased grandfather's car. Getting it ready for sale.

Put LCAs and Castor arms in. Not aligned yet.

Buying S14 subframe and solid bushes for rear.

Then will have another go and decide if I change shocks/spring rates.

How are you traveling?

You went quiet for a while... thats not like you.

Sorry to hear bout your wifes grandfather.

Its a lot of work to sort out the suspension. Just keep in mind, changing tyres in future will mean suspension changes to suit.

Im good thanks mate. Just working on the silvia. Hopefully ready in a couple of months.

Just been flat out.

Yeah tyres is another thing. These still have plenty of tread.

Grandfather has been dead for ages but thanks anyway. This statesmen is a time sponge though... Wish it would piss off.

I won't be making WTAC this year, you?

I'm surprised you even have that car still.

Sorry mate, assumed it was recent!

I meant you are making big changes to the suspension without the final tyre choice ie a true semi as that will change how the car drives again. Not a factor if you are sticking with the same tyre though.

Lol why wouldnt i have it?! Dont think i will ever sell. Just keep pumping money into it. One day i might learn.

Ending up with the car is recent.

I would like to go semi's but to be honest for the price tyres like these in a 255 are pretty decent for my needs.

Oh yeah, aiming to move to 9" rims all round, will add flares if needed.

Where are you actually up to with it at the moment?

Sign in to follow this