Sign in to follow this  
Spazo

I'm a goldfish

So I notice that I can't sit down to watch a 2 hour movie without feeling trapped, can't seem to finish a book anymore and I am always checking websites and Facebook and other stuff and I feel like a f**king moron. I hate the thought of sitting at a pc for the rest of my employment and have come to realize the Internet is just as bad as they used to say television was (I think it might be worse). I am a disciplined guy otherwise, I do have the patience for gym and drumming and band practice + other crap so there is a bit of selectiveness at play. It's like my concentration and patience have really dropped off in the past few years and I'm wondering if it's something affecting our generation, maybe just the nature of the things we do online? I'm not even sure if its a problem. Am I transforming from a thinking person into a more practical person? Or just a dodo head?

Have considered deliberately training my concentration but that seems to be the thing that I want to avoid lol.

A sign of this is the fact I read 3 of the 7 lines of your post

I have the same problem, I feel like I can no longer concentrate for long periods of time on one thing.It was worse probably a year ago but deleting Facebook and taking away the constant checking of that shit and reading pointless shit has helped I reckon.

I find during the week i have sfa concentration, using a stack of forums,fb,blogs,chatting to people, emails and all that just takes away so much time from the actual 'Doing your job' whilst on the weekend when im doing stuff on the car my phone can beep and i wont bother to check it out cause im focusing on things.

Although i can manage to go thru a TV Show/Movie without stopping...

So weird, but i will agree generations are changing..

Planking, Memes, lol cats, harlem shake, gangnam style.. Our interest span really isnt anything over a minute.

Edited by antonio

I find subjects like this amusing, because i behave more or less the same these days as i did back in 2001 when i bought my first PC and spent the vast majority of my time at home in front of my PC.

The only thing that has changed for me is there are more things to entertain myself with on the PC rather than sitting in front of it thinking "f**k what now?".

Back then i was the strange one, now you're all turning into me!

I+see+what+you+did+there.jpg

You need to get onto the Omega 3 Tablets it helps with concentration , take one in the morning and one at night , try it for a week and see the difference

really?

serious question.

Pretty sure lack of concentration is a serious issue as of late. Smartphones are a main cause because information is readily available we don;t need to read through massive texts to find what we are looking for. Information is instantaneous and our patience is dwindling which impacts on how well we can concentrate.

I read a study that shows that students are losing focus faster in schools over the past decade or so.

(no I do not have the source of the paper)

the amount of idiots and people who are generally just not switched on seems to be going up and up. just going on the few people I deal with at work I seriously wonder how these people get on in the real world when they fail at very simple tasks. also ive noticed more people seriously lacking general people skills, just awkward and no idea how to interact in person or on the phone. if its not a txt msg or facebook update these people are screwed.

Funnily enough I'm studying ATM and seem to be reading half pages skimming and turning. Shit way to study but I just can't concentrate and now I'm on Ns :lol:

I think that people are describing a bunch of different phenomena... Spazo, you're probably just getting old and bored of what you're doing. My ability to concentrate has dropped since I was a teenager and I realise that there's little I can do about it. I try to avoid snap entertainment (like rapidly scrolling through many entertainment sources) and I engage in quite a few things that require concentration and I don't have too much trouble (reading, studying, working).

The whole access to information thing is real and it does affect concentration; the best you can do is recognise it and train yourself to work through it. Also, diet exacerbates this problem because pretty much all supermarket food these days is packed full of the wrong shit (too much sugar, high GI, etc) and this actually makes a huge difference for day-to-day concentration.

tldr; Yes it's real... eat less sugar, be more active, think more clearly. God help the next generation of kids.

diet will play a massive role, but few care enough to change it or have the will power to.. but do the right thing for a little while and you will become a different person and feel 100% better.

You need to get onto the Omega 3 Tablets it helps with concentration , take one in the morning and one at night , try it for a week and see the difference

really?

serious question.

Absolutely .............go to a health food store or woolies and buy some they arent expensive , like i said one in the morning and one at night , then get some one to see how much you change in a week . you will notice a massive difference in your self and behaviour and concentration

It's not age, you're just stagnating. From what you've written it sounds like most of what you do is highly methodical, and not particularly dynamic.

Having studied, trained as a middle-distance runner for many years and currently work in IT, I know all about repitition. The difference between us is I get maximum value from the slow parts of my life (work, study, etc) because I absolutely smash everything else I do. Whether I'm going somewhere, waiting for someone, gaming or getting it on, it's done with intensity and power; even simple things like opening doors and moving around the office. When I leave the office I'm often at the gymnastics gym training hard, pushing my limits.

My personal view is that when you're in the habit of pushing the body and mind 24/7 to perform at a high pace, any period of rest is welcome relaxation, and when doing so you never get the sense that you're wasting time, which sounds very similar to your comments on feeling confined and lacking in concentration.

Now most people aren't like me so I'm not suggesting you be exactly the same, but what I would suggest you take up an explosive and dynamic sport that requires speed, power and accuracy (e.g. Squash, Wu Shu, Gymnastics, Parkour, Tricking). Pour your effort into it, then push that effort into other things you do in your life. Be a beast.

Edited by pmod

Well I don't know what made you think I'm not active but I'm pretty active and have alot of energy, it's hard to harness. I can't sit still or sleep easily. I don't kill myself in the gym but I do go a bit and I'm kinda fit. I walk a bit and practice drums as often as I can. I tire out all my band mates. I can play hard for 3-4 hours if I'm feeling creative.

Though there are some things in life that make me feel exhausted.

Things that make me shut down might include hearing my mum talk (she's very depressing), meetings at work that don't concern me in the slightest, books that are so technically worded that I would call them bad writing, boring work that I don't care about, alot of slow movies, a few other things.

You're right bout the methodical thing... But seriously who isn't? Anyone with a job is probably doing the same thing at the same time nearly every week.

I blame NS and facebook

A few years ago I could watch heaps of movies/ TV ect no drama

ATM im 2h into watching a 25 min show as I keep minimizing and checking various forums and facebook.

A sign of this is the fact I read 3 of the 7 lines of your post

..Think that's bad?

All I read was "So I notice that I can't sit down to watch a 2 hour movie without feeling trapped,"

lol

I've noticed this too the past couple of years not so much with concentration but with memory and just general maths/spelling.

I've gotten so lazy with it all and computers/internet do all the work for me.

I heard someone call it google memory or something along those lines a while ago and thought shit thats exactly it. You think of something but can't quite remember it just google it, don't know how to spell a word spell check does it for you or google it, can't figure out the maths on something google it.

So really your not remembering the answer your remembering how to find the answer by googling it.