Sign in to follow this  
OneEighty SX

T28BB on 180sx exhaust issue

Hey

Been trying to search and haven't found any one else to have this problem.

Basically im doing a t25 > T28BB conversion (done 1000s of times before)

When i went to mount my old exhaust back up (dump and front in one combo) it was fowling on the gearbox. The pipe needs to be rotated clockwise(looking at the turbo exhaust outlet).

The flange seemed to line up, as 2 studs slipped in, but couldn't go any further due the exhaust pipe hitting the gearbox.

I also changed my manifold at the same time(second hand). Came off as S13 afaik.

Could it be the new manifold changed the position / angle of the turbo? As far as i know all aftermarket manifolds for sr20det are the same?

Any one seem to have this problem before??

Regards, Ash

Hmm either your manifold or dump pipe is wrong somehow.. I'm not sure about a difference between s13 or 14/15 manifolds, there could be a difference due to the heads being different port heights?

Is the front housing lined up nicely to join the hoses etc? you might need to "clock" the housings for the compressor side.

here's a thread about some of the differences between the 13/14/15 manifolds

http://www.nissansilvia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=517414

I had the same issue with my car when I changed my 180sx manifold to a tomei expreme one

The manifold you got must be a s14 type one

You eitheir need a s14 dump pipe or change to a s13 manifold

I had to get a tomei dump then it fit fine or with a xfoce twin dump for s14/15 it fitted aswell but I wanted a bellmouth one my old one piece dump and fr pipe hit my box aswell

Mine was hitting. You elongate the hole on dump a little and it will clear.

Thanks for the reply guys.

I managed to get a stock S15 bump pipe off a friend. It fits fine. Though it is close to the bellhousing. (standard exhaust piping size. 2in?)

I had the same issue with my car when I changed my 180sx manifold to a tomei expreme one

The manifold you got must be a s14 type one

You eitheir need a s14 dump pipe or change to a s13 manifold

I had to get a tomei dump then it fit fine or with a xfoce twin dump for s14/15 it fitted aswell but I wanted a bellmouth one my old one piece dump and fr pipe hit my box aswell

How much is the tomei dump? and where did you buy it? Was it a s14 one? AFAIK S13/S14/S15 dumps are all the same. Its the front pipes that are different? Because of the gearbox?

Hmm either your manifold or dump pipe is wrong somehow.. I'm not sure about a difference between s13 or 14/15 manifolds, there could be a difference due to the heads being different port heights?

Is the front housing lined up nicely to join the hoses etc? you might need to "clock" the housings for the compressor side.

here's a thread about some of the differences between the 13/14/15 manifolds

http://www.nissansil...howtopic=517414

Rotate housing for which hoses? I cut/rotated/welded my S13 intake snout. Planning on using the S13 turbo outlet(use a 45 silicone bend into intercooler)

If you could rotate just the rear housing independently to the manifold inlet it would be awesome haha

Mine was hitting. You elongate the hole on dump a little and it will clear.

Not quite sure what you mean? The bottom right hole? (closest to the gearbox?)

pur40m

What front pipe do you use? the tomei dump you bought is for which car?

i.e, if i buy a s14/15 dump, what front pipe would i need?

I'm thinking off taking my one piece dump/front to my local exhaust shop (carline mufflers) and seeing if they could cut the flange off, heat the pipe, twist / re weld flange at the correct angle.

Edit: When searching earlier found one guy who claimed you need to rotate housing so the oil drain points down so it will flow. Is that true? o.0 Its at a slight angle..I dont see it being an issue?

Edited by OneEighty SX

http://www.shiftperformance.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=76_110_166&products_id=591&products_name=Tomei%20Dump%20Pipe%20SR20%20S13/S14/S15&category_name=Nissan

I got it off them but they only had ones with no tomei plate on them and they said it was exactly the same and it fit perfect was $250 and it was a s14/15 one as the s13 will have a egr fitting

Also rotating the core will do jack all to the dump fitting as think about it the t2 flange will on bolt to the manifold one spot so the dump pipe is always in the same spot

Thanks for the reply

The s14/15 use a larger o2 sensor right? So i'll have to get the bigger one..? Is the plug the same? What front pipe did you use?

Pretty pricey for a dump..haha (i looked at shift before you mentioned, work close by to them)

Might see if my local shop can knock me up something..only problem is gettin the car there lol

I still just used a s13 fr pipe and the o2 you can use a adapter that's goes big to small and both have the same plug

You either have to replace the manifold with a std s13 one you will need a new dump and fr pipe to suit

What ever is easier and cheaper for you

I would just change the manifold If was you little more work but if you can change it yourself will be cheaper and you can reuse your old dump and fr pipe

Yeah either get a aftermarket dump made up , it only needs a little bit of a bend in it to clear the engine. Or do what I did. Whack a standard manifold back on. ceramic coat it to make it look better if you like. Stainless spaghetti ones (which is what i had) are just wank factor and look silly

Theres a crack in the collector on my std mani. lol. Not bad..it is cast iron..

Might get a price on how much to get a dump made up.

I'd rather wack the old std mani on then to buy a dump + front pipe ($$). Least i can run a heat shield