Sign in to follow this  
IketaniS13

Selling a car Obligations

Okay, so I was just looking for some advice on what to do here.

I have just recently sold one of my cars and as much as I would like to say the Corolla was a good reliable car, suddenly it has many "issues" with it according to the new owner that have not hindered its perfomance in the entire time I owned it.

He took it 'As Is', even test drove it, had a mate look over it, and bought it the day he saw it. An hour later he rang me commenting on several noises it had and since then, he has rung/ texted me a near twenty times over it. Sold it with no RWC and 6 months rego... Apparently, it needs at least a new gearbox and another $300 or so spent on it. (Need I add that it has been making this noise for well over 12 months and runs smoothly still)...

Was just wondering, is there any obligation I have to take the car back? Or fix it? Or could I just block his number and ignore him without having to worry about this sale coming back to bite me on the butt later on?

Would be much appreciated.

Not your problem now. He looked at, test drove it, bought it.

Done.

Edit- If he had issues with the 'noises & gearbox' he should of negotiated a cheaper price with you or what ever....not buy it...

then ring up asking for cash for this and that...that's not how you buy a car .

Okay cool, and just saying, he already got the car for $600 cheaper than what I asked. Thanks, was just needing the peace of mind that if I let it got it wouldn't come back at me. Good, thanks guys.

Yeah, I did however tell him all I knew that was wrong with it, his friend picked up on several things I didn't know as well, adding to the list, so he did have ample warning from both of us that the car was going to cost him a bit of money to fix it hence why I went down in price for him. I just wasn't sure. Will definately keep this in mind for the next one, although I have run out of cars I'm willing to sell and after this, I'd rather dump it at a car yard if I was going to, much less drama.

it def is his problem not yours but be careful how you treat him becouse if you sold it with rego and no roady you wanna hope he doesnt realise just how much money and hassle he can cause you with speed and redlight cameras

Edited by Lowe

As said, not your problem.

it def is his problem not yours but be careful how you treat him becouse if you sold it with rego and no roady you wanna hope he doesnt realise just how much money and hassle he can cause you with speed and redlight cameras

Does Victoria have a transfer of ownership system like NSW, or is it all wrapped into a Roadworthy Cert? When I sell a car all I need do is submit to the RTA a Notice Of Disposal, and it all becomes the problem of the nominated driver. The new owner has to hand in and pay for a Transfer of Ownership or they get fined.

Edited by pmod

in vic im pretty sure its all wrapped into the roady from memory its illigal to sell a regod car without a roady car stays in the sellers name untill you either hand in the plates or get a roady, unless its changed in the last few years

If its road worthy and you not a business no problem tell em to go away, just trying to put it over you.

Def not your problem. He could have gone and did butouts or rev limiter launches from the traffic lights straight after.

Def not your problem. He could have gone and did butouts or rev limiter launches from the traffic lights straight after.

Exactly this. For all you know he was being a f**kwit on the way home, and is now pissed off that it didn't handle his shitty driving. Block his number. He could also be trying to scam you, ignore it.

with cases like this its shit when the person you sold to is irate and knows where you live

Reminds me of when my aunty sold her wrx about 10 years ago, Young fella rang here up 2 days later wanting here to pay for half the gearbox he just destroyed.

Her response was far from diplomatic.

in vic im pretty sure its all wrapped into the roady from memory its illigal to sell a regod car without a roady car stays in the sellers name untill you either hand in the plates or get a roady, unless its changed in the last few years

no, force transfer it

vic roads contact new owner

new owner has 30 days to provide rwc or reg is suspended/ cancelled

Reminds me of when my aunty sold her wrx about 10 years ago, Young fella rang here up 2 days later wanting here to pay for half the gearbox he just destroyed.

Her response was far from diplomatic.

i know someone who sold a skyline when he used to live in south africa the guy came back 3 months later wanting a refund because he rolled it

:lol:

We had a customer try and return a new car on the grounds that the salesman failed to disclose that the car had a blindspot.

Oh, in regards to the original post, tough titties.

He owns the car and all it's problems. You don't owe him shit, considering he knocked the price down.

Is this thread turning into a people trying to return cars story thread?

The only one I've had, when I sold my old ute (first car), I sold it to this arrogant as hell Indian dude. He called me 10 minutes after the sale, told me the radiator was f**ked and leaking and asked why I didn't tell him. I told him he was full of shit and hung up, driving over to a mates an hour later, I noticed on a corner a couple of streets down someone had run up the gutter and there was a nice wet patch right there underneath the skid marks in the grass :D. Some people just have the brain function of a rabbit.

With the cars I have sold I usually write a little contract stating that they have bought the car on this date for this much and have bought it with known issues or something like that. Keep it in mind for next sale

Doesn't mean squat to anyone. That piece of paper would stand up as good as a poo in a toilet in court

The only one I've had, when I sold my old ute (first car), I sold it to this arrogant as hell Indian dude. He called me 10 minutes after the sale, told me the radiator was f**ked and leaking and asked why I didn't tell him. I told him he was full of shit and hung up, driving over to a mates an hour later, I noticed on a corner a couple of streets down someone had run up the gutter and there was a nice wet patch right there underneath the skid marks in the grass :D. Some people just have the brain function of a rabbit.

Consistent use of keywords. Surprised he didn't complain the ute couldn't seat 7 people.

Edited by pmod

what are you talking about you can fit the extended family in the tray, have you seen how many people can fit on a motor bike?

No space in the tray, what with all the spare parts stuffed in so they can fix the Camry.

Edited by pmod

Way too soft. Did you at least charge him $500 for the experience?

What a coincidence, this guy is Indian too. I'm just taking the car back >:( even though I asked everyones advice on this. What he doesn't realise is I can fix the box for just around $300 (Oh wow, he said 1k) and I have another buyer who is willing to pay more for it.

I know I don't have to take it back, but I don't lose anything, in fact, I guess I'm gaining actually. He doesn't even know how to do an oil change, is it just my complex brain, or is that one of the most simplest things that you can do to a car?

What a coincidence, this guy is Indian too. I'm just taking the car back > :( even though I asked everyones advice on this. What he doesn't realise is I can fix the box for just around $300 (Oh wow, he said 1k) and I have another buyer who is willing to pay more for it.

I know I don't have to take it back, but I don't lose anything, in fact, I guess I'm gaining actually. He doesn't even know how to do an oil change, is it just my complex brain, or is that one of the most simplest things that you can do to a car?

Lmao. That explains the lack of adequate checks, retarded buyers remorse, fabricated quotes, incessant calls and general stupidity.

Personally, I think your proposal is a terrible idea, for the following reasons:

1. You have not officially transferred ownership, so you effectively own x days of his driving. Screw that.

2. You do not know what other damage he has caused to the car.

3. You could be in for a shock and repair costs blossom in an unforseen way, cutting into your profit margin on resale. $300 + 3 hours of your time + extras may not gain you much over the original $600-reduced sale.

4. The buyer has been a c**t, and it sounds like your primary motivation to take it back is because he is being a c**t. That doesn't fly with me as a seller, and I'd sooner call the Police than give into him, but obviously it's your call to make and he knows where you live.

5. You don't know if he's had a spare key cut, and in the near future the car or objects in it, magically disappear.

If you decide to take the car back, you should do so only after a VERY thorough inspection of the car, and at a reduced refund. Treat it like you were looking to buy the car, since that's what you're effectively doing. I would also be dropping the refund price by at least $300, and requiring a photocopy of his license, should you receive any fines, toll notices or get paid a visit by the Police. I would make both of these terms non-negotiable, and if he doesn't like it, he can walk. I would also write him a refund receipt with a date and time, requiring both your signature and his, with him being forced to sign first, and you both get a copy.

All of which would be done prior to any money changing hands, and to ensure a smooth transaction, have a couple of big and angry-looking mates at your place when he arrives to complete the exchange; nothing like a bit of intimidation to cool one's heels.

Edited by pmod

^^ with PMOD on this. You are taking on a risk buying it back so you have to treat it as such. He's wasted your time, and possibly caused more damage.

Pmod is right. You'll be leaving your arse wide open for a raping if you take it back.

There are so many more cons than pros in taking it back.

He could have just used it to drive to belanglo to dispose of corpses for all you know.

Also your sad face emoticon implies you don't really want it back so I'd just tell him bad luck.

Is this thread turning into a people trying to return cars story thread? The only one I've had, when I sold my old ute (first car), I sold it to this arrogant as hell Indian dude. He called me 10 minutes after the sale, told me the radiator was f**ked and leaking and asked why I didn't tell him. I told him he was full of shit and hung up, driving over to a mates an hour later, I noticed on a corner a couple of streets down someone had run up the gutter and there was a nice wet patch right there underneath the skid marks in the grass :D. Some people just have the brain function of a rabbit.
What a coincidence, this guy is Indian too. I'm just taking the car back > :( even though I asked everyones advice on this. What he doesn't realise is I can fix the box for just around $300 (Oh wow, he said 1k) and I have another buyer who is willing to pay more for it. I know I don't have to take it back, but I don't lose anything, in fact, I guess I'm gaining actually. He doesn't even know how to do an oil change, is it just my complex brain, or is that one of the most simplest things that you can do to a car?
Lmao. That explains the lack of adequate checks, retarded buyers remorse, fabricated quotes, incessant calls and general stupidity. Personally, I think your proposal is a terrible idea, for the following reasons: 1. You have not officially transferred ownership, so you effectively own x days of his driving. Screw that. 2. You do not know what other damage he has caused to the car. 3. You could be in for a shock and repair costs blossom in an unforseen way, cutting into your profit margin on resale. $300 + 3 hours of your time + extras may not gain you much over the original $600-reduced sale. 4. The buyer has been a c**t, and it sounds like your primary motivation to take it back is because he is being a c**t. That doesn't fly with me as a seller, and I'd sooner call the Police than give into him, but obviously it's your call to make and he knows where you live. 5. You don't know if he's had a spare key cut, and in the near future the car or objects in it, magically disappear. If you decide to take the car back, you should do so only after a VERY thorough inspection of the car, and at a reduced refund. Treat it like you were looking to buy the car, since that's what you're effectively doing. I would also be dropping the refund price by at least $300, and requiring a photocopy of his license, should you receive any fines, toll notices or get paid a visit by the Police. I would make both of these terms non-negotiable, and if he doesn't like it, he can walk. I would also write him a refund receipt with a date and time, requiring both your signature and his, with him being forced to sign first, and you both get a copy. All of which would be done prior to any money changing hands, and to ensure a smooth transaction, have a couple of big and angry-looking mates at your place when he arrives to complete the exchange; nothing like a bit of intimidation to cool one's heels.

THIS. Worst idea ever.

you're a f**king idiot if you take the car back.

Incase you missed it