Sign in to follow this  
revhead90

BC BR coils leave little to no clearance for wheels, other coil brands?

So I just got my s15 the other week and I’m keen to do some body work but before I do that I need to sort out my wheels/suspension/guard rolling. I have spent months researching what wheels and offsets I want and I have decided on...... Work sp1 3p F: 18x9 +22A R: 18x10 +30O

I have even gone as far as contacting the owner of the car that I have used as my inspiration haha. He said he isn’t using spacers which is good, and that he is running BC BR coils. Now, the problem is this.

He says the rear is fine with clearance between the coil and the inside of the wheel and that he only gets scrubbing on the guards when he goes really low and drives on bumpy roads. The front is more difficult because he says the clearance is ok but there is "only 2mm of clearance between the wheel and the collar" and that "this is not ideal, however I have mates running the same wheels with Tein and Cusco coils and they have more clearance which is more ideal"

Because I’m new to the scene and don’t really know my way around a coilover when he says collar is he referring to the adjusting collars that lock the coilover spring and height in place??

Is this minimal clearance going to cause issues, can the wheel ever make contact with the collar or is the 2mm clearance fixed in place??

Why is it that the BC BR coilover has less clearance than other coilovers, is it wider (I think I read that somewhere, the BC BR has a larger diameter?)

I have researched and the BC BR coilover seems to be rated as a good quality product for mostly street use and some minor track fun for what you pay so should I go with them or another brand?

Also the last option of course is just to go smaller in rim width but I can’t wrap my head around working the offset out, no matter how much I read I just get more confused. If I want to keep the same fitment up against the guards but with a smaller widths rim what would the offset adjustment be

F: 18x8.5 +??A R: 18x9.5 +??O

Any help would be great, I need to hear from experienced members that are knowledgeable and have plenty of experience with coilovers and wheel fitment clearance/issues. Cheers everyone!

here is a pic of the car i have used for the original wheels specs but has 2mm clearance between front collar and wheel:

8429409226_59e8aa5778_b.jpg

the clevis is prob shorter than other brands. 2mm is fine as the wheel moves in relation with the strut. it doesn't move any closer.

or run a shorter spring so the collars are higher

What about adjusting the camber at the knuckle, should be able to bring the top of the wheel out from the strut a bit more.

just raise or lower the collars so it misses/give more space to the edge of the rim (may change car height, spring preloads), or use spacers. easy fix dont need to go over thinking.

dat 18inch life yo!

maybe think about going 17s instead if you still cant work it out

I really like the look of the car in this picture and the wheels fit nice without poking out the guards yet aggressive at the same time so i want to go for that appearance. So even with just 2mm clearance, there is no chance of wheels hitting the coils as they move together, right?

Any alternatives to bc br coils of a mostly street driven car with maybe a twice a year fun day at the track that won't affect these wheels?

Quote from email: '' these fitted fine with just rolled gaurds and camber at -2 up front and -1.5 in the rear.. but i would recommend running a little more as i was scrapping a fair bit at my height.

In regards to inner clearance rears are no problem. Front however it really depends on the height you coilover is set at and where this places your lower collar, in my situation running BC BR at the height in those pics the collar was even with the rim and I literally had only 2mm of clearance between then (not ideal). I have a mate with the same specs wheels but is running cusco coilovers and has no issues what so over likewise with teins i have heard''

Theres stuff all adjustment in the BC coilovers at the clevis which I reckon is the problem fitted them in my s15 and put 18x9 +15 on front and still had a little bit of rubbing on the coilover but I had them adjusted to get as much negative camber as I could at the clevis aswell which is like 2mm movement if that.

I've done 9+25 on the front, 100mm height with 225 tyres.

Rear not sure how much room you're going to have left if it's 10+38

10 +38? Since we're at it.

Works out to 2-5mm clearance by your info, but I thought that gap changes with compression and/or lowering.

That's why said not sure.

where did you pull +38 from? his first post said +30

anyway i had roll centre adjusters so lost about 5-10mm track. so still should work

I pulled it from the rims I wanted to order a while back and wasn't sure haha... all the other specs had the wheels hanging out.

upon further research into the bc coils and the silvia and the wheels I’m looking at getting I have decided to go 1/2 inch smaller width for the wheels and adjusted the offset accordingly to get the same fitment up against the guards while giving myself more back space and peace of mind that my wheels won’t be anywhere near the coils (my calculations have given me 12mm clearance as opposed to 2mm with the larger wheel width) using the WORK wheels spec and offset chart it was easy picking new offsets :)

I have also chosen to go for a "better" coilover that is in the same range as the bc br coils. I’l be getting Silk Road RM/A8 coils from streeter.com quoted me around 1300-ish so it sounds good to me :)

Adjusting the camber on the coilover will do nothing for clearance of the rim, as it moves the whole setup (rim and coilover). If u r really concerned just throw on a 5mm spacer. I had the same issue with my BC's (running 18X9.5 -5 effectively with a small spacer)

But that is with an S14 so I am not sure how different it is for an S15?

Don't go higher offset than u mentioned.

Stick with the BC's mate....they are a good coilover for the street.

The original wheel specs I wanted where front 18x9 +22A rear 18x10 +30O. With these I was told the rear would be fine for clearance but the front would be left with only 2 mm using BC BR coils.

To fix the clearance issues I have decided to go with front 18.8.5 +16A rear 18x9.5 +24O. With these new specs I gain 12mm extra clearance at the rear between the coil and wheel while maintaining the same rim depth (dish) and external appearance. This way I get the looks I wanted and the knowledge that my wheels will be scrub free from the coilovers no matter what brand I stick in there. Plus tyres will be cheaper!

Reason for going silk road is they seem to have more RnD put into them, offer better, simpler damper adjustability, and have been engineered by the Japanese for their cars haha. Same price, just different reasoning for buying one over the other. Both brands have been rated very highly amongst silvia owners but the silk roads seem to get the go ahead for their better ride quality and build quality.

Edited by revhead90

silk roads have heaps of room. have seen 9 +30 on the front with them

also on the rear you will hit the lca before you hit the coilover (if the camber is corrected)

I'm running the original wheel specs with silkroads and theres plenty of room. whatever you do just don't go 8.5 inch wide because they're gay

If I want to play it safe, I’ll go with 8.5 and 9.5. If someone can guarantee me with proof that I’ll be safe clearance wise with 9 and 10 then that great.

And why are 8.5" wide tyres up front considered "gay"? Are tyres not readily available for them or is it just personal preference that makes them gay?

Also talking about tyre widths, is there a point where a tyre becomes too wide that it affects drivability? Would there be issue with 9 and 10 inch wide tyres? Will full lock become an issue up front?

sorry i meant wheel becomes to wide. but on a 9" front and 10" rear the car i pulled original specs from ran 225/40/18 & 235/40/18t so i would adjust these in one step down in width to suit 8.5" front and 9.5" rear

so same width tyres for the 8.5 and 9.5 wheels or stick to the 9 and 10 wheels?

Definitely go the silk roads if you canget them for that price had them in my s13 and they shit all over the bc's I put in the s15.

well im definitely going to get the silk road coils, they seem to be a better product for what i need. and i may also be going with original wheel specs of 9 and 10" widths. go big or go home right! i have seen them on the a s15 and they fit nice, clearance will be tight but its ok clearance as the wheel cant get closer to the coil.

i just did some google-ing and i have re convinced myself to go 9 and 10. i shouldn't have any problems with the silk roads and clearance, i think its mostly the bc br range that has the issues cos they use a larger damper and spring diameter compared to other brands.

I have a set of cusco height adjustable coils that are unreal for street and light track. I run 18 x 9.5 + 30 with work rims and miss buy 2mm with 1.5degree of camber so with yours they will miss by 10mm. U can have them for $400 shipped. Can send you pics of the car and coils if you like.

Other option is about $50, you can take 3mm out of the inside of the lip to give you more Clarence without using a spacer. I was looking at this to run more camber. What size tyres is your mate running?

Sorry they would miss bu about 6mm.

I want to get the ultimate fit or my car for track. Go 10 inch + 32 in the rear and 9 inch + 22 this will fit perfectly with a neat flush look. Not drift and throw some 225 street track tyre with a thicker side wall or if you go a cheap street tyre with a normal side wall you'll get 235 all round with your guard rolled not pumped. Obviously you can get a lot wider with tyres in the rear.

When I get new rims this is what it'll be .