Sign in to follow this  
55psi

Panel beaters and insurance

Hey guys,

Got a question, got my car written off not at fault, and did the usual of going to the local panel beater to get it written off.

Now should the panel beater be charging me a $100 fee for "third party quote" and to "load the quote to get it written off"? My car was insured full comprehensive with Real Insurance.

I just find it mind boggling that i would have to pay such a fee to the panel beater. Someone with experience please to me otherwise! I wouldve thought the insurance company assessor would do cover all this? Or does a panel beater actually have to pay an initial fee to state its not worth repairing first?

Edited by 55psi

my workshop doesn't charge a fee for a quote. the reason being it creates competition. in some cases the customer might have to pay if the car has to be pulled apart to check for damage, but will be reimbursed. same goes for the fee on tow trucks.

Edited by Barbie princess

Right. So the car was a repairable write off, it wasnt too obvious that it was a total write off just by looking at it (It was a cheap falcon). The car didnt require any dismantling, and the car didnt need towing.

Does $100 seem realistic ? Still doesnt seem right...

Mmm. The funny this is, hes meant to be a good mate of mine too...

Edited by 55psi

The repairer has charged you a fee for the quote .The Insurance company's will not pay fees for quotes nor does the repairer need to pay a fee to the insurance company to submit the quote or have the vehicle assessed. Basically the repairer has charged you for his time to inspect the vehicle prepare the quote and collect the vehicles details- Vin , month year, model equipment level etc enter it into his quoting package and send this through to the insurance company this process may also include making a booking with the insurance company to have an assessor attend the shop and inspect the vehicle. I'ev seen shops charge any where from $75 to $200. The repairer views this as his labour time spent quoting a vehicle which he does not get a job out of. like a total loss or a cash settlement to the car owner this would mean the repairer has done this work for free . and lets face it nothing is free these days .

Why did you take it to a panel shop to get assessed but isn't that your insurances job to do to book you in for a assessment and its covered by them?

he didn't go through his insurance, he claimed as a third party against the person who hit him through their insurance . if he went through his own insurance then they would not have been able to charge him a fee . however he may have only had third party property damage cover which would mean his insurance wont pay for his vehicle .

Panel beater needs to assess it first to determine if its non-repairable and then they log it in for the insurance company right? And then they get their own assessor out there to check if its correct.

I had full comp insurance too. If i remember correctly, my insurance company told me to get a quote/assessment from a panel beater shop...

Edited by 55psi

Yep pretty much , How come you didn't wanna go through your own policy was it under insured? or you wanted to keep the wreck or worried it would push up your insurance premiums because you made a claim?

Even if he pushed the claim his no at fault so wouldn't affect his no claim bonus premium

it wouldn't effect no claim bonus true . but it would still effect your premium . if you at fault or not when you make a claim the insurance company belives you have become a higher risk . . They will still increase your base premium before deducting the no claim bonus.

Yep pretty much , How come you didn't wanna go through your own policy was it under insured? or you wanted to keep the wreck or worried it would push up your insurance premiums because you made a claim?

I did go through my own policy...? Hope im not confusing anyone here. :P

lol yea I am a confused now , in your first post you said it was a "third party quote" Its Generally not called a third party quote if you claim through your own policy . It also made sence that you got charged a fee that way . It is very unusual to be charged a fee for a quote if you had your own claim through your policy. fees are normaly only charged to third parties.depending on what agreement if any your insurance company has with the repairer it may be a breach of his contract for him to charge a fee to customers of that insurance company . anyway if he was my mate I would hope he wouldn't charge me either way