Sign in to follow this  
cm712

s15 or evo 7/8

So I need some advice I am buying a new car as my daily and I want to run it on e85

Now I am thinking it will be cheaper to get an evo 7/8 as i can just get it tuned for e85 (stock ecu can be mapped)

If I go for the s15 I will have to get a new ecu + all supporting mods

I really don't know what one to go with ?

I just want a raw fun car to drive

Edited by cm712

well considering they are 2 completely different cars that is going to be completely up to you...

how much are you looking at spending? and you looking at stock ones? what are you going to be doing with the car?

20k max

I was thinking about it and I figured that if that the s15 would cost heaps to get it where I want it performance wise

thinking it is cheaper to get an evo

Yeah looking at stock ones atm

Ultimately I would like 200 rwkw with good handling

Edited by cm712

Yeah 20k is pushing it in terms of an evo. But for a daily drive with the power range your looking i have to ask why e85? if it is easily accessible to you then disregard my question.

I'd be going with the Evo to be honest. They are great car's that perform well in that power range. The s15 would obviously be more fun due to RWD but thats not to say the evo isn't fun. They generally are a good car out of the box. Good handling, good performance, 4 door obviously for more room. They have a poor turning circle for tight spaces and are substantially bigger than the s15 if that concerns you.

united e85 pump right next too my house !! :thumb:

Edited by cm712

just keep in mind of your budget then and what modifications you do need to run e85. In terms of keeping under your budget the s15 would be the only option.

The S15 doesn't cost that much to get to 200rwkw.

Nistune + tune - $800

1000cc injectors - $500

Z32 -$200 (not really needed)

Cooler and exhaust $1000

New Walbro E85 pump $200

Up the boost to 16psi

And you will have your 200kw.

I don't know anything about Evo's so I can't comment.

Edited by greens14

Yeah don't know much about the 4g63 can anyone gimme a run down on mods etc like above

Also greens Evo's out handle s15 out of the box ill save on coilovers etc

Also how economical is e85 for daily driving I know with e85 fuel consumption goes up by 20% or something

Aka would it be cheaper to stay with 98 ($1.60 L ?) or e85 ( $1.20 L ?)

Much of a muchness in relation to E85 and P98.

E85 is fine for a daily as long as you have close access to an E85 pump.

One of the best things I did to my car was go to E85.....plus the smell!!! Mmmmm

Get the evo because it sounds like you cant drive

Best ever

I love my s14, but i would say evo for a daily, awd can be fun, just not in a tail out kind of fun. it would be more practical and getting power out of them is easy

Silvia, cheaper in every way, cheaper to maintain and keep running and can have s15 for 11k. cheapest ive seen in the past 2months.

E85 is ok i guess if you have a pump outside your house like you do, though dont expect to drive long distance without carrying jerrycans, sort of stupid if you want a weekend car but only to drive it 250km at a time..

as shown 200kw atw is easy with P98 already, E86 you need to do all the mods plus E85 fuel lines etc which cost MORE in mods to just get the same power as pump fuel, it is a waste of money if your not pushing for MAXIMUM dyno power. its a wank factor band wagon thing to have E86 on a street car until E86 is everywhere so you dont have to worry about jerrycans or getting stuck on a long drive. But filling up every 200km or so is pretty annoying, its annoy doing so every 500km a tank already

Evos are fast no doubt, but heavy too, they stick onto the road but so do any silvia, its when people put stretched tyres on a RWD they become tail happy, try proper fitment tyres and not skid linglongnangkang tyres.

Not saying Silva is best and Evo is shit, but by the sounds of things you want and with cash in hand, you wont have a fun evo with 20k budget, but you will have a faster Silvia then a stock evo with minor mods with 20k.

Evo over S15, and forget E85 for a daily driver...it will re-define fuel consumption for you. Evos will easily and reliably make 200kW at all four with nothing more than an exhaust and 1.5bar of boost.

So I need some advice I am buying a new car as my daily and I want to run it on e85

Now I am thinking it will be cheaper to get an evo 7/8 as i can just get it tuned for e85 (stock ecu can be mapped)

If I go for the s15 I will have to get a new ecu + all supporting mods

I really don't know what one to go with ?

If you want a 'raw fun car' to drive then the 200 is your pick! Can't beat RWD for fun factor.

Evo is more for people who want to drive fast from point to point and take corners super fast

:thumb:

have you driven either of them yet? once you do you will know..

I dont know how E85 can be a waste?

Yea it may be non practical if you dont live near a servo who sells it or do lots of kms on a daily driver.

But for a person who it is practical for is just awesome. I dont know how it is a waste, when there are so many benefits?

I run E85 on my Silvia and no its not a daily but i will never go back to P98.

As mentioned it all has to do with parcticality.

Just get an eflex sensor if it's a daily.. Not hard might cost a bit more to setup but meh

I dont know how E85 can be a waste?

Yea it may be non practical if you dont live near a servo who sells it or do lots of kms on a daily driver.

But for a person who it is practical for is just awesome. I dont know how it is a waste, when there are so many benefits?

I run E85 on my Silvia and no its not a daily but i will never go back to P98.

As mentioned it all has to do with parcticality.

You are supporting a larger frame compressor and cams however, so for you there's the reliability AND power factor.

For OP there's not a lot of extra reliability, not a lot of extra power and a lot more dicking around.

sorry if it's a bit offtopic, but what is the average cost of e85 from the pump?

Both cars really cater for two different types of driving style, pretty much as said, stick with s15 for taily fun ;)

I paid $1.10 per litre the other day. I'm in Melbourne btw.

S15 for how cheaper parts are and would arguably have more fun in with better interior

Mate has a evo and everything from body parts to aftermarket/stock engine parts are allot more expensive then my s14 I like the evo everything just seems to cost more in my experience

Yeah is economical (cheaper) to run e85 on a daily (not thrashing it) if it is only $1.10 vs $1.60

It comes down to what you feel most comfortable in bud! I've had both and for me I'd choose the Evo over the S15. 4 doors, I never got hassled by the cops, if you knock up the missus you have child restraints in the back and a boot that is big enough for 4 bodies...

Plus you get the benefit of having an amazing factory engine management system that can be bent to your will with a little know how.

Granted, a cruise liner has a better turning circle but as long as you don't mind doing 5 point turns you won't really notice.

Like it was said above, drive both and you'll know what you need to do!

Evo for family guys with kids (4 door / weekend picnic car)

200s for single homeless guys like me :woot:

I just went through this same issue with my mate, s15 and evo respond the same way to modifications in everyway. you have an evo tuned with cams turbo ect and s15 they will make similar power but the s15 will feel faster. you keep saying raw feeling, forget the evo then because it feels like ya driving mums fast magna. I went with my mate to buy a bombed evo for 28 000 and bought my 15 for 23500. his car felt slow but when we raced they were dead even. he jumped in mine and couldn't get the smile of his face. he said this feels like a sports car not his evo. for 200wkw youll have to do similar mods to each but an evo wont make you smile as much when you drive it and service it. 4wd is expensive and so is an evo in every other way. hands down s15 wins eveytime. unless you have kids evo all the way.

I just went through this same issue with my mate, s15 and evo respond the same way to modifications in everyway. you have an evo tuned with cams turbo ect and s15 they will make similar power but the s15 will feel faster. you keep saying raw feeling, forget the evo then because it feels like ya driving mums fast magna. I went with my mate to buy a bombed evo for 28 000 and bought my 15 for 23500. his car felt slow but when we raced they were dead even. he jumped in mine and couldn't get the smile of his face. he said this feels like a sports car not his evo. for 200wkw youll have to do similar mods to each but an evo wont make you smile as much when you drive it and service it. 4wd is expensive and so is an evo in every other way. hands down s15 wins eveytime. unless you have kids evo all the way.

Well said love my s15