Sign in to follow this  
AnDyStYLe

When is it time to sell up cos you're too old?

Edit: Reply to A31Cefiro

^ Nah that's out of the question, we've been together for like 7 years now. She's always accepted the car and my interests in the car scene but since hitting 30, she's of the opinion that I need to grow up now and as we're looking at moving in together etc its time to make some decisions. I understand where she's coming from in some ways and appreciate what she's said.

But yeah, still second guessing myself that's why I posted this thread to see what you guys think and have done in your own experience.

I've done ok in terms of finances and trying to do grown up stuff (property etc) but it keeps coming back to me still spending stupid money on the car, which could go into more savings. I've stopped spending on the car, well maybe just small amounts here and there :lol:

Not sure how you guys with families (kids) do it? Unless you earn six figure salaries?

I think I will hang onto the car and garage it at Dad's lol. Settle for a cheaper more practical sedan so it's a win win.

Cheers,

Andy

If you get it to a point where you love it I can't see how it would be extremely expensive just to maintain it

Keep the 180 as its your passion.

or tell her to sell up her favourite thing...

she obviously doesn't quiet understand

or tell her to sell up her favourite thing...

she obviously doesn't quiet understand

tell her to stop "window shopping" and only right down the things you guys NEED and at the end of each month go out and buy only those items. That is about the equivalent of what she's asking of you.

I just turned 35 and when I drive my 180 to my local skatepark and rip out my bmx and my skateboard I usually get

"f**k how old are you and you still ride a skateboard and a bmx?"

I'm married with two girls aged 4 and 6, they think i'm peter pan or some shit and that's cool with me.

When you worry about what other people think about your passions it's game over.

You sir, sound like an awesome dad

Thanks mate, I think you're only as old as you feel you are (or the woman you're feeling lol)

lol. she has prob stopped thaking the pill without telling you

It does sound like your mrs wants kids though.

If you own your car and are buying property and she still isn't content then "you not being responsible enough" usually means "give me kids dammit"

I and other guys I work with have had the same "issue" before, have you talked about kids with your mrs Andy?

^ Yeah been speaking about starting a family lately, "soon" is the key word.

Still haven't popped the question yet but that's to follow even sooner I think. My sister is getting married this year so I don't want to steal her thunder, so may have to wait until next year.

But yeah, the next big thing (life decision) is moving in together. Then all is down hill from there :lol:

Fk I hate growing up :(

Cheers,

Andy

Sounds like your just growing up because it's the socially acceptable thing to do

Andy, use the Quote button, FFS!! :lol:

Cheers,

Andy

I just turned 24 and I'm feeling older even though I'm still very young.

In all honesty though, as much burden as my s13 gives me, I'm still not even half finished building it.

I'm hoping by the time I'm 26 and it's done I can cherish it for years to come.

Hell, even if the policeman says I'm no longer allowed to drive it on the roads I'll still keep it until I'm old and grey,

Why not?

It's got years of memories, friendships, blood, sweat and tears behind it's whole process.

That alone is reason worth keeping it. Who knows, our fabled s-chariots may actually be worth money one day too.

Yeah kind of both nisskid...

Had a couple of young blokes (teenagers at best) walk past my car and complement it and asking how much it's pushing etc. Gotta be honest, I used to love that and talk with the guys for a while about cars, but now I feel a bit awkward about it. Pretty much just said its stock and away I went.

Don't know, maybe it's cos it just in the back of my head that I'm thinking I'm too old driving this car and it should be left to the younger guys and girls.

I know many have track cars and trailers which is something I'd love to do, but current circumstances makes it a bit hard for me to go that direction. Lack of time and commitments play a big part of that too.

Don't get me wrong I absolutely love my car. As I mentioned I've poured lots of blood sweat and tears into this thing, so I've never had the heart to let it go.

Fact is you get lots of unwanted attention in this thing and at my age I can't help to weigh up whether its worth the trouble or not.

But after hearing much of the input from people here around the same age it's given me a whole other light on the matter.

If I can keep the thing and even park it away in the garage and make a comeback later in life then that'll be a win win for me.

Thanks for the input all.

Cheers,

Andy

So yeh, i stay with my original post, if the car isn't worth enough to you to overcome any superficial image issues it might bring, then you should sell it. However as far as the question when are you too old for a car you are genuinely enthusiastic/passionate about? the answer is never.

if you think you can be too old for a car, you're probably owning the car for the wrong reason in the first place, and you should probably sell it for that reason alone.

I half agree with you with this argument. What your probably saying is if you're thinking about selling it due to age then your heart isn't truly with cars. Which i think is sort of right because i agree. But i disagree because i've loved cars all my life (as im sure most of us do) and when my car was blown and sat in the garage collecting dust for over a year i was really over it and thought im too old for this shit i need to move on bla bla bla. But i thought im just going to end up doing the same thing later on in my life anyways because i love it so much, so what is the point in quitting now.

Keep in mind i am only 24 but (not as old as some of you i know lol). But the thing is i thought i can always put the car on hold and move it aside for other things in my life. My misses always says i should put it aside and save for more important things. But i will when im ready in good time.

I f**king cringe when i hear people talking about their girlfriends telling them what to do with their things, a lot of who you are is what you love, if a girlfriend can't accept what you love then they clearly don't appreciate who you are. Who the hell is women to tell a man what's more important to them?

go buy another 180 and see what she says. if my missus was like that she would get the boot.

f**king ay, bitches that want a project they can mold are a dime-a-dozen, find one which digs what you love or don't bother at all, hookers are getting cheaper these days.

Edit: Reply to A31Cefiro

^ Nah that's out of the question, we've been together for like 7 years now.

better than after 15 years with a house and 2 kids like most :lol:

Edited by nisskid

Make your missus sit down and watch "The Beast" Eric Bana's movie, any doubts i had about me and my car were shot out of the water with that movie, funny my wife is my biggest supporter with my car, with out her i prob would have have sold up a long time ago, thinking i should "grow up"

I bet you don't skid round corners, or do burnouts on the street any more? to me that is growing up

Tell the missus she can't buy any more new shoes, she should grow up cause that's what younger girls do lol

If all we do is work to make it through life, get bills paid and keep the misses happy then you need to re-asses your life. Not saying that to anyone here but more just a statement.

Everyone should have something they do for the sole reason that is makes them happy.

There is no price or value on happiness.

My wife goes to the gym every morning and that is her outlet. That's not cheap either but I know it is something she enjoys so I encourage that.

When you have 3 kids (who I love to death) and wouldn't change that for the world, it is even more important to have something you can do that takes you away from everything, whether it be fr 10mins or 10hours, it doesn't matter. That fact I have this outlet makes me a much better husband, dad etc.

Edited by greens14

Things do definitely change in life as you get older, family, wife, kids, other financial commitments as well - rent, mortgage, family holidays to keep wife happy etc.

Everyone's circumstances are different as well. For some of us who are still single and are doing FIFO work or who are on six figure incomes or whatever, we can probably afford to keep spending money on modding the crap out of cars until they become less and less street able, while still keeping up payments on our homes.

If i was married and had kids, or even thinking of producing my own satanic spawn, selling my 180 would definitely be a question I'd be asking myself as well.

But that said, i would probably buy a Stagea and mod the hell out of that instead. :D

I'm 34 ad still love my S14. I have always been into cars. Been married for 10years and have 3 kids. 14,10 and 5.

Did not pick that when you came around to drop off the wheels! Doing well!

Edited by philmak

if my gf bugged me to sell up my drift car and get married she'd be out on her ass before she knew it.

if you still enjoy it. keep it. when i had my kid i did the sensible thing. sold up. bought a nice daily etc.

4 month later regretted it big time and bought another fun car. and trust me. having a kid and all that shit. youll want a toy you can go belt around in once every couple of weekends.

I am also looking at having a child in the next year or two and have made a deal with the Mrs, that will allow me to continue with my hobbies. Money wasn't really a problem, but I always felt bad buying cool toys for myself. In the end i decided to work multiple jobs, where any extra money I made would be used for cool stuff and i wouldn't feel like i was wasting our 'food' money or whatever. There were a shitload of jobs on gumtree that I picked up and I ended up working some weekends and even weeks during the school holidays.

Like most people in this chat, the thought of getting rid of my toys is hard (in my case it's now fmx bikes and motocross race bikes). Due to the money I have spent on them, parts I have attached and my liking to each one, I now just keep them. When I think a bike has had enough, I strip it down, clean everything, carry the parts upstairs and reassemble the bike in my office lol. This might be a bit hard with a car, but the bikes are now mere ornaments beside my desk.

I'm 29 and have never once felt that I was too old for my 180sx. If I sold it I'd probably just get something even less practical, like a Honda S2000 or Mercedes SLK Kompressor, so even with the time I spend on it everything kinda works out.

Had a couple of young blokes (teenagers at best) walk past my car and complement it and asking how much it's pushing etc. Gotta be honest, I used to love that and talk with the guys for a while about cars, but now I feel a bit awkward about it. Pretty much just said its stock and away I went.

It's all in your head, and honestly I doubt it's actually caused by an "I'm too old" state of mind, but rather the fact that after receiving praise and discussing the same topic five times, the sixth time starts to feel awkward. Happens with everything from cars to sport.

My personal view is that age is a test of infermity, and the 'old man' crap that people tout as being "mature", is simply a banner to rally behind for the guys that just can't keep up any more. If you can be as physically intense and roll with the punches at 30 as you did at 20, then there's no reason to change your lifestyle or car. Even with a wife and kids, what has to change is your time managment and availablility; there's no need to mentally become a corpse.

It's really only an issue if you think it is. If you just say to yourself "f**k it let's do this sh*t"... the 'problem' disappears entirely.

Isnt anyone here sick of shit about worrying if your going to get booked everytime you leave the house in a turbo car?

Nope, cops don't bother me at all. Even slid past some unmarked coppers a while back and they didn't even push to check under the bonnet.

How you drive makes a difference, but your appearance, what you say and how you say it have a big impact on what they do in response.

I'm hoping by the time I'm 26 and it's done I can cherish it for years to come.

By the time you're 26 your S13 will be a brand new car dude...

Edited by pmod

i had a client who was 78 he sold his MGB and bought a modded 180sx as he wanted somthing a little bit more reliable hahahaha

your never too old

i see lots of old blokes (read 50+ ) at the track in S chassis and GTR's no one cares how old you are except you - so you should not feel any pressure .

f**k it you own it. worst case de rego it and park it if its getting all to much - but it dosent cost you anything to own it

EDIT: as above im getting married this year (im 25) i have had the 180 since i was 18 - the missus understands that it makes me happy and you cant put a price on that

Edited by Biggie

The place I bought last year is at the end of a court. It's funny on Sat morning all the blokes come out and wash our cars ad talk crap. I am by far the youngest of the group. The oldest being about 70. He has an MG, the three other blokes have a C63 AMG, a BMW 540 and a new Statesman. They are enthusiasts and have all shown heaps of interest in my Silvia....they love it.

It's cool coz now I don't feel like an obsessive compulsive because I'm now not the only one always washing my car.

I got sick of the hassles and reliability issues a couple of years ago and sold my 180.

That was a personal preference and lifestyle needs thing though, not age.

The place I bought last year is at the end of a court. It's funny on Sat morning all the blokes come out and wash our cars ad talk crap. I am by far the youngest of the group. The oldest being about 70. He has an MG, the three other blokes have a C63 AMG, a BMW 540 and a new Statesman. They are enthusiasts and have all shown heaps of interest in my Silvia....they love it.

It's cool coz now I don't feel like an obsessive compulsive because I'm now not the only one always washing my car.

That's a f**king sweet deal dude, never move out!

Edited by Chappy

Yea it's pretty cool. We all have our tastes which is great, but still appreciate each others cars.

What else is awesome is that now I have 3 other guys who have truck loads of tools. So between the 4 of us we have pretty much everything you can think of.

The 70 year old guys MG is so clean. He is te one who loves my Silvia most. He just can't believe how a little 2lt can make 270rwkw. That blew his mind. Lol I am taking him for a drive when I get y car back from getti g the clutch fixed so I am looking forward to seeing his face when boost comes on!!! It is going to be very funny!

if you think you can be too old for a car, you're probably owning the car for the wrong reason in the first place, and you should probably sell it for that reason alone.

I half agree with you with this argument. What your probably saying is if you're thinking about selling it due to age then your heart isn't truly with cars. Which i think is sort of right because i agree. But i disagree because i've loved cars all my life (as im sure most of us do) and when my car was blown and sat in the garage collecting dust for over a year i was really over it and thought im too old for this shit i need to move on bla bla bla. But i thought im just going to end up doing the same thing later on in my life anyways because i love it so much, so what is the point in quitting now.

Keep in mind i am only 24 but (not as old as some of you i know lol). But the thing is i thought i can always put the car on hold and move it aside for other things in my life. My misses always says i should put it aside and save for more important things. But i will when im ready in good time.

I f**king cringe when i hear people talking about their girlfriends telling them what to do with their things, a lot of who you are is what you love, if a girlfriend can't accept what you love then they clearly don't appreciate who you are. Who the hell is women to tell a man what's more important to them?

Luckily enough for me my misses is not like that. I actually met her because she had an interest in my car lol She knows not to f**k with me when discussions arouse about my car lol

She's always accepted the car and my interests in the car scene but since hitting 30, she's of the opinion that I need to grow up now

No. Just no. That's absolutely ridiculous. That's the equivalent of her 5 years (or however long you've been together) ago saying, "You're ok to be around, but I think you'll have something to offer me when you're 30, so I'll just hang on until then." Now she's sprung the trap on you and she "owns" you and your interests for the rest of your life.

That's just wrong mate. If you were not paying the power bill to buy yourself some injectors, or pawning her stuff for that new fmic, things would be a little different, but I think that would be more of an ultimatum from here as to "Sell the car or I leave."

Years ago in Canberra I was out for a cruise when the ceffy was still on the road and saw an MG being flogged through a few roundabouts and nice corners. I caught up to it, got up next to him and looked over. It was an old bloke with a long grey beard, goggles and a skull cap thrashing the life out of this thing.... I decided there and then that I wanted to be that old bloke because he looked to have as much passion for cars at that age as I did at that moment. The best part was his wife was sitting next to him grinning ear to ear.

You're never too old to enjoy a hobby, but you'll grow tired of nagging and bitching. That shits gets old quick. Don't give in or else you'll join the legion of pussy whipped eunuchs that gave up their joy to silence the minister of war and finance.